test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A way to disable the snow storm?

Comments

• genjundeadgenjundead Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    looomis said:

Dont ever think to remove this chaotic fog/blizzard effect or i will then be sure that you guys are not humans but mindless/heartless bots.

You complain about people who can't enjoy the game due to health issues. Do you know what heartless means?

looomis said:

Dont ever think to remove this chaotic fog/blizzard effect or i will then be sure that you guys are not humans but mindless/heartless bots.

You complain about people who can't enjoy the game due to health issues. Do you know what heartless means?

so he likes the blizzard though the way he worded it is a bit intense.
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    I have to run my graphics almost bottomed out and to me it's more of a brightness issue. Everything is very bright making it hard on the eyes and hard to see anything in the map. With my graphics all the way up I can see EVERYTHING perfect but the game is to choppy to play :(

Look forward to tomorrows patch to see if it changes things a bit :)
  • fuglymookfuglymook Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 119 Arc User
    I played all day yesterday with no problem but logged on today and it gave me a killer headache after 20 minutes. Nearly everyone in guild is talking negatively about it with many avoiding new content because of it. @strumslinger , if you can not play the the new content then why play the game?

• wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    getting to the game as immersive is bit much for weather effects. it is suppose to be a game, but not getting snowblindness and headaches, it also could lead to siezures to some players if there is.

just need to tone down so everyone can enjoy.
    just suggestion, make few pockets of blizzard effects in some areas.
    folks doesnt like to wait out the blizzards to die out before resuming the missions.

edited to add:
    if anyone remember playing Oblivion, during "Emperior Cuirass" quest in heavy blizzard effect, that was very well done and balanced touch of snowblindness, but this blizzard went over the top for players to handle it.

adding edit, for the devs, my advice.
    it seem okay for snow-blizzard effects, but make sure in future module/new adventure and/or dungeon zones, make sure it is non-combat zone for heavy blizzard, it was suppose to be "navigating" adventure to get from point A to point B destinations, in that way, it would be less headaches and only for few minutes as the path get densified.
    also it should be enjoyable and having experienced the adventure so much better.
    Post edited by wylonus on
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    I could not play with looking at the actual screen for too long. I played like I am playing submarine game ... watching the tiny circle map on top right to go to the destination. I was looking for the cheapo 3D glasses from 3D movie. :) I could not find a pair. :(
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    A (hopefully) simple solution is to make this a toggle option in the graphics. Those that enjoy it, great. Nothing changes for them. Those who don''t can turn it off.

For me personally I played two or three tasks then said I've had enough. I indeed now have a headache!
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    As the OP on this topic, this will be the last chime in for me: @Strumslinger has met with the Devs on this and they're looking into it (thanks Strum!). Hopefully they'll find a some way to at least mitigate the eyeball popping visual effect. I want to reiterate that despite my complaints about the blizzard, I happen to REALLY like that it's there. I love the dynamic weather effect and I really hope to see that system back-ported into other instances. I think it adds a great deal to the experience, so I don't want this thread to in any way come off as being against that sort of innovation. The opposite: I truly commend the Cryptic team for adding a new environmental system to the game (even if it was already in use in their other games) and I love how they incorporated it in a way that really does enhance the location in conjunction with the context of the story. It's really well done.

For those of you not effected by this visual - lucky you! I seriously wish I could say the same. For me, it's nearly a game-breaker on this zone which really makes me sad because, so far, I actually like this module and have very few complaints otherwise.

So, thanks Strumslinger for putting this issue into the right hands - my eyes appreciate it and I'm looking forward to learning what fix or at least workaround the dev's come up with.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    Gamebreaker. Won't play.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

+1 to all who have issues with the new map.

In my opinion it is way to bright. Reallly terrible for the eyes. I don't mind fog, but it is way too bright.

I'm with you, 100%. Inside the storm and out, it's just a giant wall of white with all details rendered in grey, and for me it's the brightness itself that's the issue.
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    Reducing your display brightness would be of great help for those complaining of aches and strains...
    FrozenFire
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    Personally I love the snow graphics and how it impedes vision when fighting/traveling. Really adds to the ambiance of the Icewind Dale... :)

That being said I know there are people whose eyes may have issues that this type of effect will cause headaches, etc. While also impacting graphics for some older computers.

That being said, let's not berate the Devs for putting in a truly cool/unique feature. It's a good/cool thing for the game to have, just need to allow time to allocate resources and figure out what can be done on their end. I'm sure they were aware of the issue people had mentioned on preview as the Devs were very communicative for Mod 10, and simply may not have had the time/manpower to fix it Pre-Mod launch.

It's rough for those it impacts, but hopefully it will be resolved soon! :)
    va8Ru.gif
    edited August 2016
    The issue with "just turn down your monitor's brightness" is that now you have to turn it back up when you leave neverwinter, or leave Bryn Shander in Neverwinter.... or even start dealing with some of the menus

It's possible, but annoying. In the mean time, this is what it looks like even without the storm:
    http://imgur.com/ATlJWPm

(That's from my laptop, most of the graphics settings are very low. I'll show the same toon in the same situation with all the settings on max on my desktop in a few hours)
    It was okay for the first 15 minutes. It was 'refreshing' and 'interesting'. There are other games that have similar effect. It started to be painful after an hour staying in the area searching for something (chest, guard, door, etc). Then, I start to realize I will need to do those quests in that environment 5000 times (multiple toons) .....
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Not even 10 minutes into the new zone and I had to ALT+F4 the game. There is no way I can play in Bryn Shander as after about 5 minutes I started to not be able to focus on anything and when I looked away from the screen, it was like I had actual snow blindness, unable to focus on anything in the real world either. Then after a few more minutes, I could feel a terrible pain in my head as a migraine onset. I had to take a migraine pill and those are $40 pills, each. I'm just glad I have migraine pills left else this would have caused me to have to call in sick to work as I wrestled that migraine.

We're looking into tweaking the storm to avoid this.

Thanks for looking into this, please ensure this is a priority to resolve. I'd really love to be able to play the new content.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    I don't mind them adding weather effects. I like them but this type of effect is way beyond weather. In real fog and snowstorms you don't get a headache from watching it. As someone said it needs a filter to tone it down. I may play with the color settings on monitor tonight to see if I can tweak it to where its not so bad. The only thing I fear is that it will be too dark to see much of anything.
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    Even if this wasn't a health issue for some people it's a terrible idea. We've already got enough things to do in game without adding extraneous features that make the game more frustrating to play for no reason.

I'd add that in addition to the snow the dragon in the large HE with the two frost giants needs to be removed when its killed. Otherwise you've got two frost giants whacking away at your party while you're blinded by snow and the giant dragon carcass that won't go away.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • calicobillcalicobill Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 36 Arc User

Ya'll need to settle down. The weather effects add to the dynamic of the zone by reducing your visibility. This makes the zone more compelling and interesting.

I find it remarkable that something so simple as weather effects that slightly reduce your visibility bother you all soooo damn much. Honestly it feels like your just looking for things to complain about.

I take it your not an HR? The only way I can see something to hit with a bow is when the aim point turns red on hover. Hard to aim on the ground when you can't see it. Melee doesn't effect it much but try using any power with a aiming circle.
    This is the time to train us to close our eyes and use the force.
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    empalas said:

I don't mind them adding weather effects. I like them but this type of effect is way beyond weather. In real fog and snowstorms you don't get a headache from watching it. As someone said it needs a filter to tone it down. I may play with the color settings on monitor tonight to see if I can tweak it to where its not so bad. The only thing I fear is that it will be too dark to see much of anything.

I've lived in snowy regions before. This is definitely not what it looks like.
    ribbs1 said:

If you're going to add a blizzard, it should impede your movement drastically. In other words, you stay inside by the hearth and make some hot cocoa.

Especially when you insist on running around in skimpy clothing.

Why do we even need everfrost resistance? We can survive arbitrarily long periods of time in our underwear in blizzard conditions.

We should be able to use the summer festival water items to impale each other on ice spears and stuff, by the way.
  • rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Bryn Shander is not only white, but mostly blue. Add to this the dynamic winter environment and you get a potential dangerous cocktail.

Regardless the current issue, I always suggest to buy pc gaming glasses: they help me a lot, not only in this case. When I unwear the glasses in Bryn Shander, I immediately see the difference and everything becomes harder to follow.
    Just search on the net and you find brands, info, features and you may want to buy them (the "basic" models are cheap if you don't want a fashion look). As an alternative, there are filters that can be applied on the screen.
    The drowback is that the colours go yellowish, but I can live with it.
    My glasses here :)

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
    rapo973 said:

Regardless the current issue, I always suggest to buy pc gaming glasses: they help me a lot, not only in this case. When I unwear the glasses in Bryn Shander, I immediately see the difference and everything becomes harder to follow.
    Just search on the net and you find brands, info, features and you may want to buy them (the "basic" models are cheap if you don't want a fashion look).

The correct solution to stupid game design decisions is not to buy glasses. It's to make game designers stop being idiots.
  • rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    zibadawa said:

rapo973 said:

Just search on the net and you find brands, info, features and you may want to buy them (the "basic" models are cheap if you don't want a fashion look).

The correct solution to stupid game design decisions is not to buy glasses. It's to make game designers stop being idiots.
    Generally speaking, every led LCD monitor emits blue light. I think it's wise to protect your eyes in any case if you spend many hours in front of a screen. I had the first bad symptoms at work because I spend most of my time in front of a LCD screen: that's why I was adviced to buy the glasses that filter the artificial blue light.
    Bryn Shander is the worst case and, by chance, the glasses are helping me a lot. Of course, I hope the art designer/devs find a better solution, glasses or not.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • ferrousdogferrousdog Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User
    I found the brightness excessive. I played for about 20 minutes in the new area and had to leave as it was starting to bother my eyes with the intensity. Getting special glasses is not an option as I need glasses to actually see my screen. There's no way I'm wearing glasses on my glasses. I'm certainly not paying god only knows how much to buy a pair of prescription glasses with blue light blocking filters just to play a game.

I grew up in northern Ontario where 6 feet of snow in the winter is common. I've been in blizzards where the wind is blowing at 40 km/hr, the temp is -40C before windchill, visibility is listed as zero and the police actually close the highways because of the very real possibility of getting into an accident and not being found because of the remoteness of the area leading you to freeze to death in your car. No blizzard I've ever been in ever looked like this new area.

Most times, the light would go more into the grey/darker spectrum because of all the clouds and snow blocking the sunlight. The only time I can recall there being a sort of dazzling whiteness/brightness to a winter day was when the air was exceptionally still and ice crystals were suspended in the air (which was actually very pretty). Even then, it wasn't blindingly bright white.

I hope the devs fix this issue with the next patch as it makes the area very difficult for some people to play (myself included) in a way that probably wasn't intended (getting physically ill from the area effects). The idea of a blizzard or snow squalls is neat and should be kept for this area given the story involved. Just dial back the brightness a mark or seven, please.
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    i dont care so much, i dont see red zones so its more difficult avoid death. abominable yettis in combination with winter wolwes are nicely deadly. i thought storm will slowly diminish as you progress with campaign, it should be cool, but obviouisly its not the case lol
    edited August 2016
    lowjohn said:

The issue with "just turn down your monitor's brightness" is that now you have to turn it back up when you leave neverwinter, or leave Bryn Shander in Neverwinter.... or even start dealing with some of the menus

It's possible, but annoying. In the mean time, this is what it looks like even without the storm:

(That's from my laptop, most of the graphics settings are very low. I'll show the same toon in the same situation with all the settings on max on my desktop in a few hours)

As promised: Same character, same spot, same weather, now with maximum settings from a desktop capable of running that at full speed.
    http://imgur.com/a/l8Z5y

(I had to sidestep slightly because of the dude with the griffon blocking my view)

You can see, it's MUCH better - the addition of far-off objects to cut through the fog means any given fog patch isn't always a solid wall of white - but that's still greyed out, low-contrast, EXTREMELY bright, and hard to look at for long.

Bonus: the Bryn Shander loading screen.
    http://imgur.com/gmJYZ5H

The vision reduction is okay, mechanically. For me it's just how *bright* everything is.
  • gphxgphxgphxgphx Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    Lowjohn said:

As promised: Same character, same spot, same weather, now with maximum settings from a desktop capable of running that at full speed.
    http://imgur.com/a/l8Z5y
    As they say a picture is worth 1,000 words. Thanks for posting these.

• sonofrobsonofrob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
    Byrn Shander gives me a headache. It was bad on preview as well. The good thing is Lonelywood and Cold Run do not have this issue. I believe it is the white haze in the air that is causing the issue. I hope they can find a good solution soon. The idea of the bad weather is great but the constant haze is killing me.
    SonOfRob
  • thegreatmikeythegreatmikey Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    I have an altogether different problem. I have a non-standard kind of colour blindness. You know that test you get where if you see colours normally you see one number and if you're colour blind you see a different one? Well, I didn't see a number at all.

Basically, if a colour is close to another colour I have trouble telling the difference. If you say teal, I'll say green because I am incapable of seeing the mix of blue in it thanks to green being the dominant colour of teal. Every "mixed" colour is like this. I will see one of them so only basic colours work for me. So, there's a problem where things blend... like wolves. Granted, my case is unusual I think and I do not expect a tweak for just me, but I thought, hey, why can't I share with the group?