test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Bryn Shander

Comments

• instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Oops.. I had posted this on the wrong thread, so here it is in the correct one:

Bryan Shander

Siege Towers
    What is the purpose of the siege towers? Those wouldn't be used for castle defense. Perhaps replace with towers (archers towers, sorcerers' towers, whatever).

Ice Shards
    The ice shard next to the main gate (1181,2238) would have blown out that wall.. perhaps re-angle it, or remove it.

Epicenter Cutscene
    "The worst of the storm has *past*." Should be "passed".

Invisible Frost Giant?
    (736, 2475) - "I'll cleave you in two!" but no giant (other than a frozen one).

The Gathering Storm
    Banner at (1446,2295) (while on top of the battlements) going through wall of the turret.

There is no coccoon, that I saw.

Block off the steps back to the wall after the cocoon is found. Since the rest of the map is devoid of people, it creates a great deal of inconsistency.

Hunting the Yeti
    Unable to interact with the knucklehead at (376,1017) to complete the Abominable Yeti quest. However, the yeti just.. appeared ..after a couple minutes.

General Thoughts

I have to agree that the washed out/overly bright ambiance is a bit much.
    Lots of stuff to kill, but it's all quite simple. The !EF! is having little effect on my 3.5k ilvl GWF, which is nice, but so far this zone doesn't feel any more difficult than IWD, and it really should be.
    I have no real need or desire for the new armor, so what other motivation/rewards could be put into place?
    Instead of Rank 5 enchants dropping, please make them R6 or R7.

Thanks!
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User

1) Frozen creatures' cloaks and such are.. fluttering.
    2) Frozen guy(s) just motionless. Not ice-covered.
    3) Some weird little guy is running a crazy circle. See screenshot as well.
    4) Where the banner is going into the wall (see my last post above, and screenshot below.. I didn't check all the turrets, though...)
    5) Should the fire be frosted over as well?
    6) The Returned's dialog has odd capitalization ("LeT mE in", or something like that.)

Banner going into the wall:

Weird little guys running in a crazy circle:

header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    The Abominable Yeti boss has 4 attacks: Chest Thump, Claw, Trample, and Furious Howl. His Trample and Furious Howl have red warning splats and are easy to avoid. His Chest Thump has a warning animation and is easy to avoid. His Claw is not easy to avoid and killed my character repeatedly. I did eventually defeat the Abominable Yeti at all 3 quests points, but it was mostly due to luck. If he spent his time Chest Thumping, Trampling and Furious Howling the fight was winnable. If he decided to Claw multiple times, the fight was ugly.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I agree that the general difficulty of mobs could be increased, maybe by 25%. As instynctive said, its doesn't feel any different to IWD and with the new Healing potions dropping, well that will make it even easier. On my 3.3K GF I didn't even need to use a healing potion. Note: I only did some of the lead up stuff which involved killing trash

• obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    The need to talk to Knox, then talk to Neverember, then go to Rothe Valley and fight 3 pointlessly easy mobs, then sit around watching a cut scene, then finally get to the actual meat of the story as a level 70 toon that has finished pretty much every bit of prior content was tiresome.

Once in the zone I found it too washed out and laggy to bother playing much. The thought of grinding through weeks of this because its content that I'll need to remain able to do subsequent new content is painful.

I have so far tried with my Bulwark spec 3.1k iL OP (using Warlock companion with 1 Rank 10 and 2 Rank 9 Bonding Stones) and found the zone very simple for the amount I played through (reached the initial quest giver and did his first quest, bashed down an easy HE) before the lag and general horribleness of the zone overcame my will. Truth is I would very much like to see this zone moved up to be suitable for 3k iL toons or some other metric that would allow moving the difficulty up from where it stands now. I will investigate the difficulty on my 2.5k iL CW with Augment stone later, but given she has no trouble in IWD doing non-HE content I don't expect any difference in Bryn Shander, which means this zone is too easy fro a lead in to the "hardest dungeon in the game".

Post edited by obsidiancran3 on
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    two30 said:

The Abominable Yeti boss has 4 attacks: Chest Thump, Claw, Trample, and Furious Howl. His Trample and Furious Howl have red warning splats and are easy to avoid. His Chest Thump has a warning animation and is easy to avoid. His Claw is not easy to avoid and killed my character repeatedly. I did eventually defeat the Abominable Yeti at all 3 quests points, but it was mostly due to luck. If he spent his time Chest Thumping, Trampling and Furious Howling the fight was winnable. If he decided to Claw multiple times, the fight was ugly.

Additionally to that, the quest also suffers from the "too many waves" problem. Let us hunt the Yeti, there's no need fighting pointless mobs at the spawn points. At point three mobs can get caught under the map, making the quest hard to complete. You need to wipe to get them up again. If you log in and out at the third spawn point, you log in under the map.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    There's NO Daily quest today!!! :(

Ya might want to double the Reputation and Ten Townies rewards so we can check out the other areas faster. ;)
    Feeback: Enemy variety
    Wolves, wolves, bears, wolves, wolves, yeti, wolves, wolves, barbarians, wolves, wolves, remorhaz. Did a wolf eat your grandmother? I've only done a few days of quests and I'm sick of killing wolves.

Maybe add some Frost Goblins or Frost Dragonlings?
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    two30 said:

Feeback: Enemy variety
    Wolves, wolves, bears, wolves, wolves, yeti, wolves, wolves, barbarians, wolves, wolves, remorhaz. Did a wolf eat your grandmother? I've only done a few days of quests and I'm sick of killing wolves.

Maybe add some Frost Goblins or Frost Dragonlings?

++++++++++ This.

Unless we are all walking out of here the latest wolf fur fashion, please think of adding a tweak to the mobs.
  • izworizwor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 238 Arc User

Bryn Shander right now looks like poor and unfinished Icewindale clone ;/
    The same enemies everywhere, wolves, bears, barbarians, repeat...
    Empowering system, we need to be prepared for new grind and repeat ;/ There were many players complaining about this, it's not good to come back to unwelcome system.

Some of boons descriptions are not clear how they work. It will be nice to know what % chances we are talking about.

But there are few good ideas:
    New Heroic Encounters, which give us something new to play.
    Nice mini-bosses we can find on the map.
    I like the look of new zone, it's quite empty and everything is frozen, but it looks cool.
    Whole idea of fight against frozen giant's is great.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Loved the Goblins heroic encounter! Fight them inside the wall, knock the ladders off, jump off the wall and clear the rest. Really cool.

Everfrost damage hits like a truck... 50k damage that goes right through everything at the Barbarian Heroes encounter. The two wolves are real killers. It may have been lag but 2 hits of everfrost just by standing close to them for a bit over 100k of unresistable damage in total is a bit over the top (I think I dodged their breath as it didn't appear in the combat log, but still got 2 Everfrost hits) . I hope campaign boons and gear will mitigate that. If it goes trough guard as somebody said above GFs will melt in seconds.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • shiani1shiani1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 316 Arc User
    I just finished the cocoon quest and was told to go to lonely and there was no quest or indication how to get there. Is that because this is the only section up right now? I wasn't sure if more were up.
    Kianni Ravenmoon and Izyana Sol'Eetah

• commanderandercommanderander Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 93 Cryptic Developer
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of responses over the weekend (was busy taking care of the family!).

Regarding enemies spawning under terrain, we should have a fix for this internally. Our next release should have a fix for this.

In regards to no daily quests, I believe we put in a stopper to have focus testing on Bryn Shander, but that results in not being able to continue doing Bryn Shander daily quests when you're supposed to go to Lonelywood. I'll start a discussion with some folks about what we can do about this.
    Sean "Commander Ander" McCann - Content Designer
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    This is what it looks like for me, which is why its unplayable:

To add to that, its also headache inducing as others have noted.
    Post edited by obsidiancran3 on
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User

The need to talk to Knox, then talk to Neverember, then go to Rothe Valley and fight 3 pointlessly easy mobs, then sit around watching a cut scene, then finally get to the actual meat of the story as a level 70 toon that has finished pretty much every bit of prior content was tiresome.

THIS.

So sick of the walking simulator quests that seem to be there to encourage people to get VIP and an epic mount. There are already plenty of reasons to have these we don't need more.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
    After taking a 2nd character thru Bryn once the fixes were in.......everything seems to work fine. Yeti Hunt, Barbarian Totems, nothing spawns under the ice, the quest giver instructed me to use the campaign window, I recieved Ten Townie stuff, and reputation with about every quest, and most importantly...............

.........................................................There's a Frozen Cocoon!!!

With the 3 parts of Frostburn(2 at T3) armor and a Frosty potion, I have 23% EV resistance.......so the math is in the neighborhood.
  • scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    - New Icewind Dale overworld map that includes a larger portion of the Dale
    - New overworld map to overworld map travel, selecting the Icewind Dale Pog or the Underdark Pog will now open the Icewind Dale/Underdark Map

Bug
    When you enter Caer-Konig now (from a place like your Stronghold) you end up at the 'gate' that previously gave you the choice of going to Dwarven Valley or Icewind Pass. This is on the wrong end of town to be entering Caer-Konig from a destination that is not in the Icewind Dales

Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
    edited August 2016

How come all the Questgivers have a big fire goin next to'm except Xuna? She's never gonna volunteer for another quest for at least 7 mods. :D
    Post edited by valwryn on
  • scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Feedback
    During the quest Eggs for Food the character spends a long time picking the eggs off the ground. Eggs are delicate yes, but its annoying to sit there for so long.

Same deal with Merchant Woes, it just feels like a long time is spent standing there doing absolutely nothing. no interaction with the game except to watch a progress bar
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    scathias said:

no interaction with the game except to watch a progress bar

This has been irksome about the various Stronghold event tie-in quests as well. Go press F on 5 things, but you don't just get to press F, you have sit there and wait for the bar on all of them. Uggggghhhh.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • cambo1682cambo1682 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Feedback
    I'll say first it's nice to get 3 new adventure zones, aside from Lonelywood tavern it looks like there was much less copy pasting than we've seen in previous modules. Lonelywood and Cold Run look awesome. Just my feeling, and seemed shared with others in my guild who have run preview, the constant white out in Bryn Shander is very hard on the eyes. I actually couldn't wait to get out of this zone because of it. Possibly toning down the fog effect would help this.

Bug:
    Bryn Shander coordinates 216,1023 has some misplaced terrain objects.
    edited August 2016
    You increased the "BLIND" in the Blinding Wind. I was tracking the Yeti to it's final spot...when the Blizzard hit. TOTAL WHITEOUT. I actually ran into another mob cuz I couldn't see'm. It was my fault for pressin on the gas in a blizzard. It's patchy enough if ya go slow....to not run into trouble.

I LIke it, the graphically challenge'd won't.
    B)
    The rewards from the weekly quest were nerfed hard. My notes from preview indicate that it gave 15 reputation, 9 Secrets of Ostoria and 50 Ten-Towns Supplies. On live, it gives 4 reputation, 6 Secrets of Ostoria and 18 Ten-Towns Supplies. This means you hate us, right?