test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'd like to come back!

elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
Right so here's the deal, I want to come back to Neverwinter. Like I REALLY want to come back. But there were a lot of bad tastes left in my mouth from beta and launch and shortly there after that I really don't know whether I want to risk the disappointment again. Persistent bugs, poor dungeon designs (boss battles nothing but adds management while the mage tanks the boss I mean come on), HEAVY cash shop advantage, extremely poor class balancing, and the Foundry (let's not go there). All this and more drove me from the game that I wanted desperately to love. So my question is has anything improved or have they taken to the same model as Trion with ArcheAge and just keep throwing new cash shop items at everybody in the hopes they forget the problems? Did Cryptic finally get their act together or are they still playing the same old tune on a different lute? I guess what I really want to know is if this game is worth my time?

Comments

• callofkutulucallofkutulu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 56 Arc User
    It is pretty much the same, but less fun, more grind and fewer people. There should be a brief surge for the launch of mod 10 or when/if they release a new class.
  • elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Fair enough, but I'm looking to the general health of the game overall. Has it been properly managed by crushing bugs and resolving extreme overbalancing, or is it just one more in a long line of cash grab games with little or no backroom support coming from the devs? Like I said I don't want to log into the server just to find nothing has changed in the 3 years it's been live.

EDIT: Hmm thanks Kutulu. That does put a bit of a damper on my excitement. I'll have to keep trolling through the forums to see if anything specific crops up on me
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited August 2016

..Just don't have the desire to be BiS overnight, or you will require the cash shop....

Cant stress this enough. The desire for instant gratification is ruining our own game experiences so if you feel like you're getting anxious and your hands are itching for Trans and R12s just take a step back and breathe..slowly :smile:
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    NW is a pay to accelerate game. Those with RL money to spend will always have better developed characters than those that spend no RL money, given the same play time. However, the end results will be the same. You will not get a better character in the end by spending RL money rather than grinding - it will just take a lot more time to get there without RL money support.

The bug situation is ok. There will always be some bugs around, but nothing gamebreaking.

Class balancing will get a new round in todays mod 10 patch, so we do not know the details yet. But I think it is safe to say that the most glaring OPnes like the SW's bugged megadps will be fixed.

As for dungeons.. well. They removed a lot of the dungeons we enjoyed in the early game since did not have resources to update them when they did a major balance overhaul of the game in mod 6. They promised us we would get them back later.. but they have not shown up. So currently game suffers from having way too few dungeons worth running at high level. The farming life at level 70 can get boring quickly.

NW is a pay to accelerate game. Those with RL money to spend will always have better developed characters than those that spend no RL money, given the same play time. However, the end results will be the same. You will not get a better character in the end by spending RL money rather than grinding - it will just take a lot more time to get there without RL money support.

The bug situation is ok. There will always be some bugs around, but nothing gamebreaking.

Class balancing will get a new round in todays mod 10 patch, so we do not know the details yet. But I think it is safe to say that the most glaring OPnes like the SW's bugged megadps will be fixed.

As for dungeons.. well. They removed a lot of the dungeons we enjoyed in the early game since did not have resources to update them when they did a major balance overhaul of the game in mod 6. They promised us we would get them back later.. but they have not shown up. So currently game suffers from having way too few dungeons worth running at high level. The farming life at level 70 can get boring quickly.

+1 to you for this. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks for being straightforward and not sugarcoating it. I'll give it a fair shake then and see what happens. Who knows maybe my old character's still there
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    just want to say a thing:
    the game items are just expensive and the item shop will not help you going anywhere.
    you may find you have a chance to progress with the item shop but really no...
    you just need ads, you can farm it or trade zen (real money) for other players Astral diamonds.
    the amount of real money needed by the way is so high that people completely progressing thanks to the shop are so few you will probably never meet them.
    Everyone throws a couple of dollars every now and then by the way.. you should be thankful for that. For example i cant say no when i see 40%+ discounts

dungeons are fun, maybe not much challenging but mod 10 will bring some of it.
    Classes in mod 10 will be more or less balanced for pve..
    gamebreaking bugs are being fixed in mod 10 (warlock crazy damage, HR similar bug)

the game in the end is good.

one last thing: foundries are dead and intention to not do anything for them has been expressed.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    elminster said:

Fair enough, but I'm looking to the general health of the game overall. Has it been properly managed by crushing bugs and resolving extreme overbalancing, or is it just one more in a long line of cash grab games with little or no backroom support coming from the devs? Like I said I don't want to log into the server just to find nothing has changed in the 3 years it's been live.

EDIT: Hmm thanks Kutulu. That does put a bit of a damper on my excitement. I'll have to keep trolling through the forums to see if anything specific crops up on me

if you mind to make a couple of examples of what you experienced we can answer you better...i really dont remember any "must rage" problems until mod 2.
    edited August 2016
    Well if you want an example one of the more extreme cases was an exploit in TotS where you could break out of the map and bypass nearly the entire dungeon to reach the boss, which you could then attack from outside the map and defeat without being touched. There were also similar exploits in GWD and LotMD. It got to the point where nobody would run the dungeon unless you were utilizing these exploits and the devs were doing nothing to remedy them.

Also in GG there was a glitch/exploit that made it practically impossible to capture a point of interest, and to break it you had to have practically your entire raid there to assist in capturing it. I am not fully aware of how this one worked, only that some players could "accidentally" cause the glitch on multiple nodes and skrew the opposing team. I quit shortly after this one was discovered.

EDIT: I see the chat filter hasn't changed
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    To play this game "comfortably", you need two things. VIP and a lot of character slots (such as 12).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    1. Apply to join the Neverwinter legit channel (google it)

This is the best group of exploit free gamers in Neverwinter.

2. Ask for an invite to one of the guilds in the Legit alliance.

3. Enjoy

Neverwintwer is in a great place right now. especially if you start a new character. They have done a lot of work on the main story and all the other campaigns. For me its all about who I play with in endgame content.

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

To play this game "comfortably", you need two things. VIP and a lot of character slots (such as 12).

I play the game just fine, never used VIP and it is difficult enough to juggle more than the six I have now. No point in making an army characters you cannot put in the time into building. As to the original poster, elminster, I really don't think our opinion matters. If you want to play something, you will play it. The only person who will sway your decision is you.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    edited August 2016

I play the game just fine, never used VIP and it is difficult enough to juggle more than the six I have now. No point in making an army characters you cannot put in the time into building. As to the original poster, elminster, I really don't think our opinion matters. If you want to play something, you will play it. The only person who will sway your decision is you.
    That is why I said "comfortably". You don't need to play all the characters at all. In fact, I don't play most of them. I only play 3. They are my storage and my profession workers (which I can choose to run them or not).
    They all became level 70 on their own and I did not play them (of course, again, this is optional). If you need RP, they give you RP. If you need AD, they give you AD indirectly.

When it was 80% off yesterday, it is about 50 cents for one character slot. It is the cheapest storage you can get
    from this game (even if you buy it in full price without coupon or sale discount).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

1. Apply to join the Neverwinter legit channel (google it)

3. Enjoy

Neverwintwer is in a great place right now. especially if you start a new character. They have done a lot of work on the main story and all the other campaigns. For me its all about who I play with in endgame content.

I didn't realize they were still around. I'll have to reapply back to the group next chance I get. And yeah I'll probably be starting a new character just to relearn where everything's at.

@sandukutupu If your opinion didn't matter I wouldn't have asked. Talking to people here and browsing through the forums tells me two things: The opinion and morale of the players, and the overall health of the game. This gives me a general idea of how well it's been managed by the team and whether or not it's worth my time returning. I want the truth and the best way to get it is straight from the community.

Anyway thanks to everybody for your opinions. Between you guys and what I found it's given me a lot to think about.
    edited August 2016
    "quote"

I didn't realize they were still around. I'll have to reapply back to the group next chance I get. And yeah I'll probably be starting a new character just to relearn where everything's at.

"quote"

Very much alive and well. The channel formed a guild and then, when allience came around, many other legit channel guilds joined together.

you just have to apply on their forum. Weather you are interested in joining the allience or not the channel itself is a great community :)

I just recently got to play through the game again when I made my second TR just for pvp. I really enjoyed the changes, additions and refinement that has gone into the main story and the pre 70 campaigns.

I have one recommendation, dont twink your new character by sending enchants or gear that levels with them. The pre 70 game is fantastic and losses all of its fun dificulty when you powerhouse your character with enchants to early. Save the twink roflstomp for when you want to level up an alt quickly. Rank 7s are cheap on the AH but wait until at least 60 to get them.

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    If you don't mind playing the game, keeping in mind this IS an F2P MMO that's pay-not-to-grind, which means it takes a long time to get high end stuff - then you'll enjoy it.

If you get impatient at slow progress and aren't will to pay, you won't.

That said, Cryptic is still the same money grubbing company they were, if anything they're worse now than they were back then. My advice is not to pay anything at all on principle. You don't really need to anyway.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Come play
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
    1. Apply to join the Neverwinter legit channel HERE

3. Enjoy

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP