test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character Slots 80% Off!

samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
Just a note that Character Slots are currently on sale for 100 Zen instead of 500 Zen!

Bought an extra 4 slots for 200 Zen myself since they were on sale! :)
@samaka#2511

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    Yep, gota get people to invest in them before they nerf invocation AD.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Why they keep putting char slots on sale and afterwards punish players for having em? Even going as far as calling people botters.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    I have 9 slots. 1 unused in the event they ever drop another class.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    Who called people with extra character slots botters?! How does that even make sense?!

I, too, am keeping a slot open for the eventuality of another class being released! :)
    @samaka#2511
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    Hm, two character slots for 100 Zen or 16 Manycoins Bank Slots for 600 Zen....now there's a difficult choice to make >:)
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I still have 5 empty slots from the last time they were on sale. :( Just don't have time to level anymore characters.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User

Who called people with extra character slots botters?! How does that even make sense?!

I, too, am keeping a slot open for the eventuality of another class being released! :)

I think he means they call them botters more implicitly. It seems to be a regular occurrence now that people with lots of characters get banned during events that involve things like Sahha balls or Simril packs. They keep setting some sort of "nobody can legit use this many items during this event this early" setting, then set it to something that's stupid, and then finish off that stupid cake by making it auto-ban (or get reviewed by a moron), resulting in a bloody swath of people with 40+ characters getting banned for a few days.
    I only had 8 slots previously, which were all filled with characters for one of each class.

Now I have extra slots for a mule or two, or a couple alts for different paths perhaps, and an extra one for whenever a new class is released!

Figured might as well get the extra slots now while they were on sale, no idea how often they go on sale this cheap! ;)
    @samaka#2511
  • ichimaruginxichimaruginx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Ugh - more slots! Someone kidnap me before I buy some hahaha. They are a good source for RP and additional salvage spaces or AD earner if you run normal dungeons/weeklies with your alts. (Minus praying since it's getting scrapped soon)
  • candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    why char slots if no use for it? no new class, no more invoke and no more leadership
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I have 19 slots, and 2 open slots for an eventual new class.

I agree that it's strange to encourage players to get more character slots while simultaneously removing much of what makes having multiple characters valuable and adding massive hurdles to making alts viable in any real way. Sure, you can replay content which can be satisfying in it's own way, but the months (or more) spent grinding out a new toon is torture. Not to everyone - some enjoy that, and that's cool. But most people don't have the time, money or inclination to really rock out more than a very small number of alts.

The Leadership AD and invocation changes, among other things, are direct roadblocks to making alts useful. The EE campaign (and removal of vigilance tasks) make that campaign... frustratingly long (to but it mildly). Tiamat being the only real way to get WoD boons makes those boons pretty much out of hand for alts (if not for mains... I don't ever expect to get those boons on any toon, much less more than one). The list goes on and on. I imagine that a change to the unbound RP in Leadership is coming, despite the fact they've said they're OK with how it is right now.

Not sure I'd go as far as to say they treat altaholics like botters necessarily (I think that's a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy), but I do agree that it's a one hand giveth while the other hand taketh away situation.
  • spike#5569 spike Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I'm just about the only type player this sale really benefits. Did have 2 toons, now im up to 3 and a free slot for....ahem...a druid. Although, its a pretty nice way anyone to increase their "bank" slots.
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    The EE campaign (and removal of vigilance tasks) make that campaign... frustratingly long (to but it mildly).

Thats the least of it's issues, long as it is you can theoretically knock it out over a long weekend, a week of casual play should certainly get you through it. The real problem is that Mob Damage in the EE campaign is massively overtuned. I've got log parses from taking my CW through the early part of helm's hold today where most mobs are hitting 2.5-3.5k per attack per mob on mobs that come in packs, and the ne per pack splat spamming mobs if you get hit will hit you for north of 10k on a non-crit. All against a character that in campaign provided gear has a sum total of 30k and change health. So much balance, so much wow, (so much sarcasm :p).

The worst things are the Death Slaaad, and the middle and last bosses of Spinward Rise. The Slaads aura just ticks for stupid amount and the two bosses have splat attacks that can hit for north of 40k based on how many times i got one shot by them doing those bosses and my GWF's health, ( i had selective parsing turned on in the ACT parser and the plugins selective parser code is broken, it won't list incoming damage even when it should).

Personally once i hit 70 i'm stopping the campaign and going off to grind out the elemental set via throne of the dwarven gods before i come back and do that silly HAMSTER on my CW.
    Paingiver is not an acurratte or Useful measure of your actual sustained damage output, (i.e DPS), in various ways it lies. For a true idea use ACT. Link below:

https://github.com/nilsbrummond/Neverwinter-ACT-Plugin
    Amen :) I was simply paraphrasing the difficulties - nothing you said is incorrect or incompatible with what I said, so I totally agree with you!
    Fair enough, when people complain about the frustrations of the EE campaign they mean the quest layout and how you can only do two at a time leading to repeating the same tasks 3 times in a row. That's absolutely boredom inducing, but it isn't smash keyboard rage inducing like the sheer damage intake, (and on my paladin which had enough temp HP gain to not care too much about the damage), CC effect spam that prevails.

Hell my CW even with her keeping mobs frozen 80% of the time has half the DPS intake vs level 64 leveling mobs that the illithilich at the end of the fight in Throne of the Dwarven gods manages vs my Paladin, even accounting for the defence difference thats still meaning a pack of leveling mobs several levels lower can out DPS a 70 skirmish boss.

Ughh, sore spot as you can probably tell. I should stop here before i burst a blood vessel or somthing from sheer rage.
    Paingiver is not an acurratte or Useful measure of your actual sustained damage output, (i.e DPS), in various ways it lies. For a true idea use ACT. Link below:

• lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    With inventory space always at a premium I caved and decided to buy 3 more slots to take me to 10 in total. I only really play 4 toons daily and only 2 of them seriously, but with the length of time between double refinement events, I always seem to be low on bag space so the 3 extra character slots I bought should keep me going for the time being. I do admit, however, that I am a hoarder who owns a bank alt as well with 3 slots open :D
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    valwryn said:

I already have slots open'd for my Coming Soon class. :)

That class has ultimate stealth mode. No one's ever seen one ingame.

I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
    Has everyone forgotten the option to buy 'off-the-shelf' Level 70 characters that is supposed to be appearing with the launch of Mod 10 ? While the cost for these characters is still unknown, it makes perfect sense for Cryptic to have a sale on empty slots ready to accept them. With the 80% price reduction, it makes adding a couple of extra slots almost a no-brainer decision given all the uses they can be put to even without the ready built option. When the price goes back to normal, players will think more than twice as they will be back to being massively over-priced.
    I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy a pre-made level 70... it's not like leveling is hard! Though I guess it does have the Elemental Evil campaign completed, which for some people may be worth the Zen.

Honestly though, I have suggested they offer a way to stop XP gain so you can actually complete the level 1-60 content without drastically out-leveling as you play. Of all the MMO's I've played I have to say this one has been the easiest to level in!

@samaka#2511

I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy a pre-made level 70... it's not like leveling is hard! Though I guess it does have the Elemental Evil campaign completed, which for some people may be worth the Zen.

Convenience, plain and simple. As you say, leveling isn't hard but it does take actual game time. It may be possible to go from 1-70 'in a couple of days' but that is not a fun or entertaining way to spend time in NW. As an example, I wonder how many players would like to add a cleric to their collection. Not because they want to play that class but so they can pick up the Sigil of the Devoted from the Vault of the Nine. Training up a new character can be off-putting but buying one and running it through the Vault immediately will appeal to some people. Of course, it may be a moot point as Cryptic will set the price too high anyway >:)

Well since I am a new player I think leveling up characters from 1-60 is a fun and entertaining way to spend my time... but I can see after a number of alts people may get bored with the process.

I am trying to go as slow as the crazy-fast leveling will let me go, I am still having fun and have 8 characters to play with, so hopefully I will be entertained for some time to come! ;)
    @samaka#2511

Well since I am a new player I think leveling up characters from 1-60 is a fun and entertaining way to spend my time... but I can see after a number of alts people may get bored with the process.

I am trying to go as slow as the crazy-fast leveling will let me go, I am still having fun and have 8 characters to play with, so hopefully I will be entertained for some time to come! ;)

I can certainly agree that leveling from 1-60 is fun. I also enjoyed taking my three characters through that section :) ...but 61-70 is a whole different matter as it can involve working through Elemental Evil which has improved since I first went through it when it first came out but is still a far from enjoyable experience. At least, that is how I found it :(

Meanwhile, I just blew 50k AD/100 Zen on a couple of new characters slots....because I could o:)

Interestingly, my partner and I just hit level 70... and we haven't actually done anything in any campaign past helping the Harper in the first step of the ToD campaign! Not sure how that worked out exactly, but here we are! ;)

The good thing is there is a ton of stuff for us to do, we have our first pair at 70, and 7 other pairs to go at various levels from 50's down to 20's! :)
    @samaka#2511
    edited August 2016
    ...but 61-70 is a whole different matter as it can involve working through Elemental Evil which has improved since I first went through it when it first came out but is still a far from enjoyable experience. At least, that is how I found it

This.

To add to my tales of Woe on my CW, (who is now 70 thank god), was doing crumblechasam, (middle reclamation Rock Boss), and thanks to icy terrain on the first attempt i just never flat saw his splat. It hits for 42k, against a character with just a smidge over 36k health.

Yay.

Interestingly, my partner and I just hit level 70... and we haven't actually done anything in any campaign past helping the Harper in the first step of the ToD campaign! Not sure how that worked out exactly, but here we are!

How the hell did you get the XP for level 70 without going through drowned shore/Reclamation Rock/Firey Pit/Spinward Rise. Tell us your secret please...

so I did something totally crazy... 300 Zen for 6 slots is only 150000 AD. Idiotically stupid of me not to get slots, so now I have 25. I may even start a new toon to have an even 20. I should do it without making use of any account unlocks or enchantment hand-me-downs, and keep an activity log of how much effort it really is to take a vanilla toon from 1-70 and then make it viable (meaning, not completely frustrating) for end-game content... but I won't because of how much effort that would be and besides, no one would read it...
    carl103 said:

How the hell did you get the XP for level 70 without going through drowned shore/Reclamation Rock/Firey Pit/Spinward Rise. Tell us your secret please...

Honestly, I don't know. We didn't even invoke more than once a day because we didn't WANT to gain XP too fast. We did farm the heck out of the Summer Festival, however, I don't know if that would have given us that much XP?
    kvet said:

I should do it without making use of any account unlocks or enchantment hand-me-downs, and keep an activity log of how much effort it really is to take a vanilla toon from 1-70 and then make it viable (meaning, not completely frustrating) for end-game content... but I won't because of how much effort that would be and besides, no one would read it...

Well, it took my partner and I about 2.5 months starting the game as total newbies to go from 1-70. This includes creating 7 other characters during this time and playing them as well from time-to-time, those pairs range from level 20 to the mid 50's.

As of earlier today we've both reached 2k iLevel so we can get into all the epic dungeons and somehow we've done nothing in the way of campaigns. We have done a lot of Stronghold daily HE's as well as whatever quests the various NPC's there have for us. We have done the leveling dungeons a number of times, but I wouldn't say we've farmed them as some we've only done once or twice.

I guess I have no idea how we got to 70 without doing any campaigns... but we did! :D
    @samaka#2511
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

I still have 5 empty slots from the last time they were on sale. :( Just don't have time to level anymore characters.

Ya know the tome of experience you get as one of our wickedly awesome experience rewards? Save em! On 2xXP using 2 of them will take you quite a ways!! I save all of mine for this reason!!
    Heh, TBH if you where doing dungeons much during the double XP event you will get a fair amount of XP. Not sure if the summer festival gave XP either, but if it did i an see how that would add up to a LOT of the 60-70 experiance too. Also if you were leveling over that kind of range and where doing say archdruid morningdawn's daily's it should be doable. Very slow though.

Curious, whats you /played time on your 70's, (just type /played into the chat box)?

Actually, we weren't doing any of the dailies either... seriously, the most time we spent was in the Summer Festival, and doing HE's at the Stronghold and the occasional levelling dungeon.

I will say that at no time did it ever feel like we were grinding or anything. We've just been going around doing things and the next thing I knew we were level 70!

When I get in game next I will type /played and report the result! :)
    @samaka#2511