test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Cold Run

crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 27 Cryptic Developer
Welcome, heroes!

Cold Run, the third new adventure zone in Storm King's Thunder, is now available!

After adventuring in Bryn Shander and Lonelywood, the pursuit of the Ring of Winter brings the heroes to Cold Run. This desolate stretch of coastline along the Sea of Moving Ice has become a target for roving bands of Frost Giants in search of something amidst ancient ruins of a long-dead civilization. It is a harsh wilderness filled with monsters, and heroes will need to keep their wits to survive.

Arriving with Artus Cimber, Catti-brie, Wulfgar, Xuna, and Makos, you find a new ally in the local ranger Ewan Roald and his scouts. You’ll need to discover what the Frost Giants are searching for and where they have taken the Ring of Winter.

Cold Run was built to be a harsh coastal wilderness filled with monsters and minions of the frost giants. Storvald’s Breach is an area of the Bitter Shore where the frost giants have broken through the ice and landed their giant longships while they search inland with their orc thralls. There are some gorgeous vistas in this large new adventure zone, so enjoy the view!

Features:
• 4 New Directed Storyline Quests
• 6 New Heroic Encounters
• 9 Repeatable Quests
• 6 "Found" Quests
• Ostorian Relic hunting

We would love to get your feedback on Cold Run! All feedback is welcome, but there are a few items we’d like to focus on:
• When playing with other people in the zone were there enough objective critters and clickables to complete your quests in a reasonable time?
• Were you able to follow the storyline?
• If you have an upgraded fishing pole from the Winter Event, try the fishing quests with and without it. Was the difference in completion time noticeable with the better pole?
• Was it fun?

To report a bug (or just give your opinion):

• Respond to this forum post.
• Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
• Spec: (Please enter the spec that you are providing feedback for here)
• Format: Please use “Bold” face text for the Type & Spec then type your feedback in the body of your post. If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use BLUE.
• (Bonus: Concise Feedback & Screen Shots are much appreciated)

Examples:

Bug: Cold Run
I was unable to interact with the chests on the ships.

I think there needs to be more Ostorian relic nodes in the map.

Comments

• torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    *whoa* Hey Arkayne! ;D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    How does one Unlock the quest to Travel to Cold Run. I've tried the Cold Run task on the Campaign and talk'd to everyone.......nothin. :/
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    valwryn said:

How does one Unlock the quest to Travel to Cold Run. I've tried the Cold Run task on the Campaign and talk'd to everyone.......nothin. :/

Same question. When I logged on, the entire campaign window was locked despite my earlier progress. Then I opened one of the packages from the Debug Vendor and suddenly every task was unlocked. So I completed the Scout Cold Run task, but none of the NPCs in either Bryn Shander or Lonelywood are offering story quests. The Shrine of Mielikki weekly from Cattie-brie was the only new quest at all.

Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 27 Cryptic Developer
    valwryn said:

You'll need to progress through the campaign to get the Cold Run unlock, then talk to Duvessa Shane in Bryn Shander or Xuna in Lonelywood to get the hand-off to Cold Run.
  • crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 27 Cryptic Developer

*whoa* Hey Arkayne! ;D

What up, torontodave? As you can see, I am a many of many talents! ;-)

You'll need to progress through the campaign to get the Cold Run unlock, then talk to Duvessa Shane in Bryn Shander or Xuna in Lonelywood to get the hand-off to Cold Run.

Which tasks specifically? The brilliant scheme of giving us, until recently, no Ten-Towns Supplies has limited our ability to complete tasks.
    two30 said:

Which tasks specifically? The brilliant scheme of giving us, until recently, no Ten-Towns Supplies has limited our ability to complete tasks.
    There may be a bug in the Campaign progression if you used a shortcut to get to Fangbreaker. I'll talk to the campaign dev and see what we can do to fix that.

There may be a bug in the Campaign progression if you used a shortcut to get to Fangbreaker. I'll talk to the campaign dev and see what we can do to fix that.

We found the point of confusion: if you used the Fangbreaker unlock from the Preview store it opens all the nodes in the campaign, but players still need to have the requisite Bryn Shander Reputation to talk to certain contacts. If you play through the campaign normally, you'll get enough reputation (250) to unlock the Cold Run hand-off quest.

That being said, we're going to add a "Cold Run Unlock" to the Preview store to give you the necessary rep to get the "Cold Harbor" quest hand-off to Cold Run from Xuna in Bryn Shander or Lonelywood. It will be in the next build (estimated update 8/5).

We found the point of confusion: if you used the Fangbreaker unlock from the Preview store it opens all the nodes in the campaign, but players still need to have the requisite Bryn Shander Reputation to talk to certain contacts. If you play through the campaign normally, you'll get enough reputation (250) to unlock the Cold Run hand-off quest.

That being said, we're going to add a "Cold Run Unlock" to the Preview store to give you the necessary rep to get the "Cold Harbor" quest hand-off to Cold Run from Xuna in Bryn Shander or Lonelywood. It will be in the next build (estimated update 8/5).

Thanks!
    edited August 2016
    Beautiful Area!!!

Don't stand in the deep water for tooo long........Hypothermia damage quickly sets in.

Fighting Giants on the ships is fun. You can play like Errol Flynn, jumping from table to table. :p

The Storyline was simple to follow and now it's over:

Don't do the quest "Red Ice".......it works fine............just never do it. :'(

A few quests I pick'd up:

Frostfire's Scale
    Orc Battle Plans
    Snowstalker's Teeth
    Grishnak's Talisman
    Runic Lore
    Angrim's Helm

And of course.....what's more annoying than a Woldrider........Rimefire Golems!!!

Found the 3 Scrying Stones.

Got the title "Cold Runner" & "Seeker of the Dead".

And I got BAN'd by Caliban!!!

Post edited by valwryn on
    Bug: Invisible wall in The Bitter Shore neighbourhood
    There's an invisible wall on the beach. It seems to be circular in shape. I was able to ride around it and run into it from all sides

two30 said:

Bug: Invisible wall in The Bitter Shore neighbourhood
    There's an invisible wall on the beach. It seems to be circular in shape. I was able to ride around it and run into it from all sides

There's an HE there with a Giant trapped in a Force Field. Must be his holding spot.

Drufi has an attack that blew me across the room. I think it's called White Wind. I'm not sure what the intent is. There didn't seem to be any counter-play. I was blown despite having control immunity from Unstoppable and while being blown I couldn't sprint back. However, I also wasn't taking any damage of significance. It seems to simply be a timeout in the fight.

One of the enemies in the Red Ice quest dropped a Unified Elements. Is this normal? Did the stars simply align for me?

Bug: Makos' magic wall in the Red Ice quest
    It's possible for companions and the NPC allies to get aggro through Makos' magic wall. This leads to a multitude of giants jumping over the wall. It felt like the giants might even be an endless respawn. I tried killing them but their more and more came.
    Bug: Quest: Defending the Dale
    Today's quest required completing 3 dailies in Cold Run. I completed "Orc Thralls", "Cold Run Patrol", and "Scuppered Skipper". None of these gave credit for Defending the Dale, so progress is blocked.
  • misquamacus2misquamacus2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 193 Arc User
    two30 said:

Bug: Makos' magic wall in the Red Ice quest
    It's possible for companions and the NPC allies to get aggro through Makos' magic wall. This leads to a multitude of giants jumping over the wall. It felt like the giants might even be an endless respawn. I tried killing them but their more and more came.

Isn't his wall supposed to fail, since you're supposed to escape back to the ship?

Bug: Quest XP and Gold
    Quests in Cold Run are worth one fourth of the XP and Gold of quests in Bryn Shander or Lonelywood.
    Bryn Shander quests: 6040 XP & 22 silver 5 copper
    Lonelywood quests: 6040 XP & 22 silver 5 copper
    Cold Run quests: 1510 XP & 5 silver 51 copper

Quest experience is terrible in all 3 zones, but Cold Run is the worst.
    two30 said:

Today's quest required completing 3 dailies in Cold Run. I completed "Orc Thralls", "Cold Run Patrol", and "Scuppered Skipper". None of these gave credit for Defending the Dale, so progress is blocked.

I completed "Know Your Foe", "Lore of Runes", and "Culling the Remorhaz". None of them gave Defending the Dale credit for Cold Run either.
    All my Defend the Dale quests were for Lonelywood and Bryn even though I pick'd up the quest in Cold Run.
    edited August 2016
    For the 3rd day in a row, "Defending the Dale" has required 3 Cold Run quests. This time I completed "Keeping the Silence", "Pilfer and Plunder" and "No One Left Behind". Once again, none of them gave credit. So it seems that none of the zone's quests give credit and this version of "Defending the Dale" is impossible to complete. "Defending the Dale" also won't switch to a version that requires Lonelywood/Bryn Shander quests. So further testing is blocked.

Post edited by two30 on
    3 Days and NO quests for Cold Run for the Defend the Dale quest. Still split between Bryn and Lonely. Hopefully its the early entrance that's messing things up.

Is there a weekly quest for Cold Run?
  • commanderandercommanderander Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 93 Cryptic Developer
    Hi guys,

Regarding the daily not working, we did some chicanery to jump people ahead in the campaign to Cold Run. Because of said chicanery, it means the Defending the Dale wrapper is still looking for Bryn Shander instead of Cold Run. Normal progression through the campaign will have you doing the Cold Run dailies at this point.
    Sean "Commander Ander" McCann - Content Designer
    Thanks for the feedback, folks! We are addressing it accordingly.
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    two30 said:

Drufi has an attack that blew me across the room. I think it's called White Wind. I'm not sure what the intent is. There didn't seem to be any counter-play. I was blown despite having control immunity from Unstoppable and while being blown I couldn't sprint back. However, I also wasn't taking any damage of significance. It seems to simply be a timeout in the fight.

You wont' take any significant damage unless you're knocked into the icicle wall on the opposite side of the room. The counter-play here is to ensure you are not caught too far off-sides and that as you are being pushed you are struggling against the push.

This same mechanic resurfaces in Fangbreaker when you take on Drufi, but there it can be a little more hectic as you're more likely to be caught off-sides due to other mechanics.

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    valwryn said:

In case ya snuck in a fix.......the Defend the Dale Cold Run quests are still not counting. :/

Asterdahl said it's not working because of preview shenanigans to skip people ahead, but should be fine live.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia

Asterdahl said it's not working because of preview shenanigans to skip people ahead, but should be fine live.

Yes, I know'z this ya lunatic!!! It's been over a week and the devs have been known to toss in a internal fix. I'm just lettin'm know that it didn't work.....if they did. :p
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Ehhh... I supect if they "fixed" it on preview, it might break the way it's actually meant to work. Best to leave it alone!
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited August 2016
    FINAL Patch Check b4 LIVE

This is the Cold Run Weekly quest. Works Great and FUN too.
    I only recieved 10 Ten Town Supplies for this weekly.

The Cold Run Quests are now counting for the Defend the Dale quest.
    :)
    Post edited by valwryn on