What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Duel mod, duel arena ?

setillsetill Member Posts: 90 Arc User
So when are we getting those?
Is it something hard to implement ?

Comments

• coliercolier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 119 Arc User
    This is all we need...more interruptions from people running around spamming duel request. If this is implemented hopefully they will give us a auto decline we can turn on. It is already a pain to be interrupted with friend requests while in combat from spammers...and the only way to block them is to hide yourself in the game to stop them. No more interruptions please....
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Bad idea, I agree with colier up there. I have played WoW and Rift, there is nothing more annoying to just walk into town and get asked 20 times to duel for no other reason than to be a punching bag. ALSO if it gives the winner any reward (aka glory) people will stop playing PvP and just stand about taking turns hitting each other. Sorry I am not trying to insult you or your idea, but this is just no fun at all. The developers have some bad ideas we will get to see soon enough in less than a week. ;)
    wb-cenders.gif
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    It's been a part of STO for many years, I've always been a little surprised it wasn't implemented in NW from the start. The ability to auto-decline should be an option as well.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    I hated dueling in every game that has it. Ya can't walk to the local market to buy milk for my cat without being pestered to fight bout 20 times. :/
    If there's a way to auto-decline (or otherwise opt-out) of challenges without being prompted - I don't see the problem.

It's already a feature of STO, so the system already exists. It's not like Cryptic has to invent the underlying tech - rather like Stronghold and Alliances in that way.
  • acro33acro33 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Something that might be fun is to put a PVP area in your Stronghold map to be able to practise PVP with your friends or just challenge eachother for fun; the PVP at lvl70 is most often a very hostile place to be, where insults and honourless behaviour flourishes from the biggest WalletWarriors and it is most usually not fun at all to do it, especially when you're forced to do it because your Stronghold coffer demands Conquerors Shards.
    A PVP zone in the Stronghold would give PVE players a break from all that bull and leave the regular PVP for the die-hard PVP WalletWarriors.

But of course, the best idea would be to introduce a secondary sheet for your characters that has powers, gear and boons specifically aimed at PVP so it would be well-balanced from the start without messing with your PVE build.
    But that'll probably never happen; good ideas often aren't implemented in this game.
  • setillsetill Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    So we agree, it's something they can do and it's not here.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    I think anyone that randomly challenges another player should get a temp ban. So, no, I don't think we agree.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    Opt-in, opt-out -- yeah... I don't really care personally, as long as there is a way for me to not be bugged by challenges. I'm ok with changing a one-time setting to disable challenges, though having that set by default when the feature goes live would be agreeable.

@greywynd - with an auto-decline feature that ensures you would never be challenged or otherwise affected by it, why would you care if such a feature existed?
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    kvet said:

Opt-in, opt-out -- yeah... I don't really care personally, as long as there is a way for me to not be bugged by challenges. I'm ok with changing a one-time setting to disable challenges, though having that set by default when the feature goes live would be agreeable.

@greywynd - with an auto-decline feature that ensures you would never be challenged or otherwise affected by it, why would you care if such a feature existed?

Its not just the ability to white list it and pretend it didn't exist. Do you really want to deal with two people fighting over the top of some vendor, or the bank, or a quest NPC? Do you really want to have to deal with all the additional lag due to random spell effects and powers in hub areas that are already laggy for some? So even if you opt out of dueling completely you are still subjected to dealing with others choosing to duel in completely inappropriate areas.

• valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    What munkeysock said!!! :D

Also....should such dueling add to the PvP points or just a Journal Achievement, you'll find many PVerPs running around naked requesting to duel anyone. Once the countdown starts, they quickly put on their gear and the Requestee finds themselves in a dual with a totally Max gear'd peasant. :#
  • ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    How about them implementing "dueling" by way of the PvP Queing system? Once read a web site of a "data miner" who had develed into one of the latest Preview server patches and foun an option for solos and duo queing for PvP. While it is not implemented anywhere yet, it does seem to indicate the games developers are thinking about and playing around with the idea of one on one and two on two PvP. And if implemented through the queing system, it would eliminate most of the worries and concerns expressed here.
    It must also be noted that the developers do not acknowledge or talk about anything data miners post about. BUT if we all start asking for something like this, who knows what they might someday implement.
  • setillsetill Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    setill said:

So when are we getting those?
    Is it something hard to implement ?

All of you read the OP again please and read your answer.
    Did i ask if you would like it a duel arena or a duel mod? No...

Its not just the ability to white list it and pretend it didn't exist. Do you really want to deal with two people fighting over the top of some vendor, or the bank, or a quest NPC? Do you really want to have to deal with all the additional lag due to random spell effects and powers in hub areas that are already laggy for some? So even if you opt out of dueling completely you are still subjected to dealing with others choosing to duel in completely inappropriate areas.

No, I don't want to deal with any of that. But again, my suggestion is to implement the STO system since it already exists. In that system, challenges go to a separate PvP instance. Basically, you challenge someone to a private DOM match. Also, like with NW, there are several open world PvP options if you'd prefer to go that route (but that exists in NW today, though it's harder to put together since it's hard to choose instances).

As I said - if there was an option (whether it starts TRUE or FALSE is less relevant to me) that effectively disables the ability for players to challenge you (the details of that are irrelevant to me as long as the actual effect is realized), then an implementation of the STO system would be transparent to all players who don't wish to participate in such things.