test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time to gather my party and venture forth!

amenaramenar Member, NW_CrypticDev Posts: 90 Arc User
Howdy all –

Some of you may know me from previous developer blogs, class review forum posts, and many other forum discussions that have taken place since the launch of Neverwinter. Today, I’ll be leaving the great big adventure that has been Neverwinter, Champions Online, and Cryptic Studios – off to start a new adventure.

Over the 7 years I've been here, I’ve been Lead Systems Designer, Lead Designer, and “Senior Designer in charge of Class Stuffs” at various points throughout the history of Neverwinter. I worked on the balance and implementation of classes, powers, and feats before launch. I worked with the dev team and the community for revisions to existing game systems, and helped create new content and systems for the game. Before Neverwinter, I did many of the same things for Champions Online (where people knew me as Ame). Throughout it all, one of the areas of my Cryptic Career that has been totally awesome, has been working with you all, the forum community.

The job can be stressful and hectic, but getting to interact directly with the people that love the games we’ve made is truly a perk that I’ve had here over the years. My goal as a game designer is to entertain as many people as possible, and make them as happy as I can, and getting to see the results of that in person is a wonderful thing.

Thank you so much for the great times you’ve given me. I leave you all now in the capable hands of @rgutsheradev, @dreadnaught, and @MimicKing, as well as the rest of the passionate Neverwinter and Cryptic team.

The game industry is surprisingly small, so I might bump into you again, in another life. Until then, may all of your 20s be natural!
-Chris “Amenar” Matz

Comments

• valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    "Nooooooo"
    "I haven't hit ya with a water balloon yet."

Good luck with your next exciting Adventures!!! :'(
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    high five. thanks for the communication. =D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • amenaramenar Member, NW_CrypticDev Posts: 90 Arc User

okay.. So now everyone leaves the game? Why would the players stay when even the devs jumps the ship?

I'm flattered you think so I'm so important to the games success. :)

Video game companies have lots of people come and go. Cryptic is constantly hiring. Someone else will fill my shoes, and they might even do a better job. This game is great, and it is doing incredibly well. It won't be going anywhere any time soon.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    Even to the bitter end, you're still communicating!

Thanks, and I'm sure we'll see you around. Good luck in your next adventure.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • martianmnhuntermartianmnhunter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 236 Arc User
    Why are you leaving just before the biggest balance changes to date?
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    I'm going to miss you, Matz!

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    How dare you leave before the CW balance >.> Just kidding, wish you well :) You are leaving behind some big, empty shoes to fill :(
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    So making big(and needed) class changes and leaving, the cynic in me wonders why?
    amenar said:

okay.. So now everyone leaves the game? Why would the players stay when even the devs jumps the ship?

/snip. . . This game is great, and it is doing incredibly well. It won't be going anywhere any time soon.
    I do hope your're right and that's not a NDA talking.

Definitely not an Arc User.
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    your timing is amazing man, i can only hope your boss wont be negatively surprised at Tuesday, when class balance goes live. We all should starting to pray :D

when we have active dev, its only for few weeks. thats doom taste
  • scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    I guess combat and the broken piercing blades is going live as is :'(

well, best wishes for your future amenar, you did a mostly bang up job which is all we can really ask i guess :)
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    @amenar stick with NWO, the challenges we have here ---> GWF Unstoppable bug :)
  • d4rkh0rs3d4rkh0rs3 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    @amenar Congratulations and great work on engaging the community!

@rgutscheradev
    @dreadnaught
    @mimicking

Please be sure to continue Chris' communication and transparent approach with the community. There are many intelligent, experienced, and passionate fans of this game on this forum full of great advice (and they're willing to bug test for free, too!)
  • bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    Bye @amenar <3 Thank you for all your hard work and listening to us. Your presence will be missed.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    You shall be missed. Thank you for the awesome communicating with the recent balance changes. You left some big shoes to fill.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    You got us excited that the game may be headed in the right direction. You discussed with the community potential changes and listened to their feedback. You talked about the big plans you had for the future of the game and class balance. Many of us were very excited to see you take the bull by the horns and try to steer it in the right direction. Now you leave us, once again, with worried concern for our beloved game world.

However, we have no concern for you, with your dedication I'm sure you will do well wherever your adventures take you. Thanks for the hope, however brief, that you gifted us. When you think of us, invoke a prayer to the NW deities (one that will be profitable, as our invocation will no longer heed us rewards) that we will one day gain the balance you once spoke of.

You will be missed.
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• theguiidotheguiido Member Posts: 467 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    ??? BRO WHAT? I knew something was up because of your inactivity on the forums, but, never imagined it was this. As hectic as it might of been, you have done an amazing job at balancing classes, and bringing Neverwinter to a great state. Additionally, you have also shaped amazing relashinships on here, and have actually replied to more ppl than anyone and any developer I know. Which I commend you for. I am very scared though knowing you're gone and now the classes are left unknown at this point. I hope your legacy is left for these developers and the NW team to take on smart and LISTEN to the players, just like you did. It's very odd you left so suddenly, I wish the best for you Chris, you're an awesome guy, and an even better developer. <3@amenar
    Post edited by theguiido on
    Proteus
    Guardian Fighter
    TLO
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1221446/the-future-of-the-gf/p1 Existing Problems Still In The Guardian Fighter

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/comment/12984912m
    Feat Changes I'd like to see in The Guardian Fighter
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Hopefully, among other things left behind, is your willingness to actually interact with players - even the... er.... more enthusiastic (?) of us. It's huge when Devs are willing to do that, and an equally huge loss when such a dev leaves. Good luck wherever your journey leads!
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    Best of luck, and may all your rolls receive a +4 favorable result in your next endeavor.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Le sight. It seems like every time a dev takes the time to communicate with us, they make their exit in due time. maybe Cryptic don't like their staff talking to us...

@amenar: thanks for your efforts and all the best in your new endeavours.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    Good luck I am sure where ever you go you will be well appreciated , because you have been by all of us. May your future shine bright on your personal life as well as your career

Ara
  • treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    amenar said:

I'm flattered you think so I'm so important to the games success. :)

Video game companies have lots of people come and go. Cryptic is constantly hiring. Someone else will fill my shoes, and they might even do a better job. This game is great, and it is doing incredibly well. It won't be going anywhere any time soon.
    NO!!!! In 2 years that i play this game no developer/designer was being so active and mindfull about player as you were in classes balance, im not saying the other member of cryptic team aren't good and care for us, they do, but you were exeptional, if you are leaving make a clone of yourself to leave here with us :smile: .

• treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    metalldjt said:

it is funny that amenar said he is leaving us on good hands and only 1 out of those 3 devs have an account on the forum

@rgutsheradev, @dreadnaught, and @MimicKing,

Classes balance threads have been closed, i dont want to be prejudgemental but it think this was it, no more balance, Gf is reasonably fine but SW still needs rework.....*finger's cross*

• krondhorkrondhor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 150 Arc User
    For some reasons it's always the best that leaves, when somebody started to care and was talking with our community, I hope we wont be left behind that we get ignored for years once again now, I hope my fear wont become true.

Anyway thanks @amenar for your time and dedication, you did more in the past 3 weeks than others in 3 years, we will definitively miss you.
    GRAVITY X GAME
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    I haven't been playing long enough to get to know you, but I will say thanks for all the work you have done on Neverwinter... my partner and I have really been enjoying the time we have spent here so far! :)

@samaka#2511
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    (Drops to knees and picks up two hands full of dirt)

(Screams)

Amenar!!!!!!!
    Whhhhhhyyyyyyyyy

(Lifts hands to the sky letting the dirt fall out slowly to be carried away by the wind)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!