test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alternative to guilds

We need a solo alternative to guilds. I'm getting sick of the type of people that choose to run guilds. Also sometimes I want to take a break. With a guild you almost always have to sign in to at least do influence. Leaves you with two options either keep playing or completely quit.

Since the completely quit option sucks for both players and developers I think It'd be great to have an alternative to guilds
Sure I'd still be in a guild. I like the people and it's easy to fine people to run dungeons. But I'm sick of the feeling that this game is a job. I want to log on and play when I want to not because I have to.

Solution: personal homes that you build like a guild. They have the same boons and everything. This could be a smaller version of a guild. Requiring the same type of materials to upgrade but in a far far far less amount. You could even set it up so that you could build your house faster with material you could bought with guild marks.

For anyone miss reading this I am not taking about the previously mentioned "houses" which is similar to a guild in the sense that multiple people would be in one house. What I am talking about is a personal house for each player. All your alts would live in the same house and benefit from the boons you have upgraded. Each player would have their own personal map that no one could load into unless the are in a group with you. Even if this map is small this would still be amazing.

Comments

• zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    Or, just start your own guild and run it they way you like.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    On that point I think they should remove the requirement of needing 5 people to start a guild.

I know people get around by this asking friends or paying gold to strangers to co-create then leave, by why should this even be necessary? If a person wants to run a 1 man guild then who is that hurting? Why not permit it without the added fuss or cost of having to 'hire' people to help you out?
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • agenty0rk#8993 agenty0rk Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Starting my own guild would still make the game feel like work instead of fun. I would need to keep track of inviting people and removing people. Pretending to be managment is not what I consider a fun game. Plus I would need to be on all the time and not be able to take a break when I want. A smaller personal sized version would fix that.
  • thedramacusthedramacus Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    Ive been told, havent been able to test, the amount of players in a guild affects the amount of materials needed. If that is the case it would mean your idea is already there.... If someone could confirm this or not would be super great.
    Dramacus 3.1 SW, Raven 2.9 HR, Aurora Shadowbain 2.7 GF, Mirduatas Vras 2.5 DC
    Si Vis Pacem 2.5 DC, Jade Shadowbain 2.4 CW, Para Bellum 1.5 GWF, President Not Sure lvl 69 OP
    Faith Shadowbain lvl 69 DC, Toof Fairy lvl 68 GWF, Arnie Shadowbain lvl 63 GF

Your Credit Card Has Been Declined
    Damn that would be awesome.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

Solution: personal homes that you build like a guild. They have the same boons and everything. This could be a smaller version of a guild. Requiring the same type of materials to upgrade but in a far far far less

No offense but there is no way I would agree with these two statements. If you want the same boons as a guild thats rank 20 then you should have to put in the exact same amount of materials. Maybe a scaled down version of the boons but again...if you're getting +1000 power in your "Personal home" than it should cost the same as a +1000 boon in a guild. Just because you choose to do it solo doesn't mean you should get a discount.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    You can have your own guild with nobody else in it but you. It's honestly what I'm considering doing on Xbox at this point, as I seem to be having trouble finding a guild that fits my needs.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • speedokillzspeedokillz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    If it takes a certain amount of resources to get a boon in Strongholds, then it needs to take exactly the same amount in your little personal House. The whole point of Strongholds is to get something very powerful that takes a ton of effort, but would be worth it when you obtain it... I'd say in my small Stronghold that it has been worth it.
    kreatyve said:

You can have your own guild with nobody else in it but you. It's honestly what I'm considering doing on Xbox at this point, as I seem to be having trouble finding a guild that fits my needs.

What are your needs @kreatyve ? We've got a few spaces at the moment :wink:

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    armadeonx said:

kreatyve said:

What are your needs @kreatyve ? We've got a few spaces at the moment :wink:
    I just went ahead and made my own guild. Cause I'm super, super strict. I've been in 4 guilds on Xbox since I got my Xbox.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    hehe ok, woulda been cool though :smiley:

How do you mean super strict...?

Kreatyve, are the building requirements scaled to the amount of guild members?
  • thedramacusthedramacus Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    Even starting a new guild would be hard to tell, you would need to compare a new guild with low members to a new one with 150 members... The person who told me this was the case took not of the numbers about the same time they reduced alot of costs.... We recently removed 40 or so members we havent seen in ages, taking notes on requirements before kicking. I didnt notice any difference. They also told me the change didnt appear until after a new building was built, havent done yet, and that 75 members was a changing point in values, currently just over 80 members.
    Dramacus 3.1 SW, Raven 2.9 HR, Aurora Shadowbain 2.7 GF, Mirduatas Vras 2.5 DC
    Si Vis Pacem 2.5 DC, Jade Shadowbain 2.4 CW, Para Bellum 1.5 GWF, President Not Sure lvl 69 OP
    Faith Shadowbain lvl 69 DC, Toof Fairy lvl 68 GWF, Arnie Shadowbain lvl 63 GF

Your Credit Card Has Been Declined
  • mahburgmahburg Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    The target changes do seem to be inconsistent thats for sure, given the level of targets we see moving to 11 now it feels like it has been rolled back. Happy to be proved wrong on this.
    From my understanding, coffer requirements that went into effect a couple months ago(ish) had nothing to do with the amount of guild members but the rank of your Guild Hall. It was to make it easier to get from say GH 1-6 but then begin to scale back to where the previous requirements were at.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9787073-developer-blog%3A-stronghold-cost-reductions
  • manyvengeancemanyvengeance Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I have my own guild with one of my characters since Mod 5, mainly because back in the day I bought two banks and I wouldn't like to ditch them, but I've never seen the requirement thing moving. When Strongholds came out we were like 50 ppl in that guild, nowadays is just me and a few other real life friends, we are 7 (and a total of 9 characters), and I didn't notice a difference in the coffer when I kicked all the inactives, lol.

I noticed when the requirements were scaled down like @speedokillz said, coz I was able to build the farms thingy xD
  • satniteeduardosatniteeduardo Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    I like the house idea and would like to add a feature suggestion. I would love to be able to take a photo with all my toons together. At the moment my only option is photoshop. I have 20 total toons with probably around 14 or so decked out with fashion or armor I am happy with. Would be awesome to have a photo of them all. It would be awesome if they were all walking around my private house / property lol. At least it would be good if I can somehow create a team photo.
  • draco16#8040 draco16 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    Guilds are source of opportunity and challenge. As a guild leader I spend a substantial amount of time recruiting and organizing officers to get our structures built, run events, and provide individual support. No person or organization is perfect but it is a tremendous satisfaction to log in everyday and interact with our guild family members. We laugh, we cry, we argue but we make it happen. I don't think that you have met your correct guild match. I would suggest you continue trying to reach a group that compatible with your style.

I have also experienced playing in an empty guild hall and I don't find to be rewarding at all. People need to interact, build relationships, compromise and nurture each other in a positive manner. The rewards follow the hard work and to expect to get the rewards without the investment is quite unrealistic.
    The Draconic Brotherhood GH 20
    Escape the Ordinary GH 20

Lord Havok GWF
    Lady Icethorn CW
    Brother Heals DC
    Lord Bubble OP
    Sister Tetera GF
  • grandpaxxxgrandpaxxx Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Draco lol funny! we laugh, we cry, we argue. Feel like I'm listening to someone talk about a tv show on lifetime lol. Pull out the tissue boxes! ><,

Obviously a guild isn't for everyone, some of us actually don't live in the game and like our independence when we play. I prefer to see myself more like my own sovereign country. I unite when it benefits me and go my own way when it doesn't. I don't care to drag around your ridiculous banner whatever it may be.

Also don't care to be dictated to by any self appointed group leaders on what needs to be done and how much I have to donate.

I understand most of you have a slave mentality and love to be ordered around and dictated to. I also understand we have a bunch of self appointed dictators that would love to tell you what to do as well.

I just think the developers need to realise that guilds are as antique as the telegraph!

We left that technology way behind time to update with the times!

Draco lol funny! we laugh, we cry, we argue. Feel like I'm listening to someone talk about a tv show on lifetime lol. Pull out the tissue boxes! ><,

Obviously a guild isn't for everyone, some of us actually don't live in the game and like our independence when we play. I prefer to see myself more like my own sovereign country. I unite when it benefits me and go my own way when it doesn't. I don't care to drag around your ridiculous banner whatever it may be.

Also don't care to be dictated to by any self appointed group leaders on what needs to be done and how much I have to donate.

I understand most of you have a slave mentality and love to be ordered around and dictated to. I also understand we have a bunch of self appointed dictators that would love to tell you what to do as well.

I just think the developers need to realise that guilds are as antique as the telegraph!

Interesting, maybe if we should call guilds something else.... like "Strongholds" or "Alliance" and then we could remove some of the negative thoughts and experiences you've had in the past?
  • cerunancerunan Member Posts: 7 Arc User

Yeah I was surprised when I saw this come to Xbox (we're not PC gamers- we usually know better :) ) and now they are adding alliances (I presume because guilds are so 90's they are trying to get make them somehow worthwhile). The good news is maybe they will finally get back to working on actual game issues.

It seems someone has had some bad experiences in guilds. I understand the desire to do your own thing (I was guildless for about 6 months & was quite happy) but the main reason people join them (apart from boons) is to have a regular group of people to do stuff with.

Yes there are some that like to dictate that members run certain content for donation requirements but these guilds usually have problems keeping hold of their members. Good leaders know that the best way to get what you want is to give the members what they want.

The sentence "I understand most of you have a slave mentality and love to be ordered around and dictated to" is so condescendingly offensive and inaccurate that it says a lot more about the author's inability to interact on a normal level with other people than it could ever suggest about everyone else.

There's nothing wrong with being antisocial but pretending it's normal and everyone else are the weird ones is just laughable.

• ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

I unite when it benefits me and go my own way when it doesn't. I don't care to drag around your ridiculous banner whatever it may be.

Sounds to me like you've already found the alternative to guilds. Solo play. Enjoy it. Relish it. Nothing wrong with it at all. But to think you should get the same benefits as a guild because you no likey the bad guildies is just ridiculous.
    edited August 2016
    Well your making an assumption. That clearly you know nothing about Arma. Making the record clear been in a guild for a long time like 9 months.

Your very introspective of others obviously you don't know me, so don't act like you do. I'm more concerned with that should talk to someone about it.

Mainly my comment came from Draco writing about how he is a guild leader and bla bla. Quote "I don't think that you have met your correct guild match" maybe the person who started the topic doesn't want to be in a guild.

Quote "I would suggest you continue trying to reach a group that compatible with your style. " obviously he created the topic because he didn't want to find another guild he doesn't want to be in a guild for "insert whatever reason."

I say give the player another option quit trying to force him into a box that suits you or making suggestion that try to push him back to a guild. What I like to call telling someone what to do in a game. When they didn't ask for it.

"People need to interact, build relationships, compromise and nurture each other in a positive manner." Honestly it's a game we don't need to form a guild to interact with each other nor should it hinder a player. By denying them access to boons.

You got one point in that last quote. He came here for constructive feedback. Some of you tried to push him back into the little box that you put yourself in! That tells me all I need to know.

Having a guild leader that is a RL friend. I don't have to participate to get the guild benefits or donate.
    Post edited by grandpaxxx on
    I think his idea carries valid points. A personal house or something similar would be interesting for people who like solo play. It should work like a guild hall. 20 levels but require 1/4th of the resources required of a guild hall.

It doesn't take away from anyone who is in a guild.
    You're right I don't know you, I can only go by what you've written. You were quite clear with your opinion.

On the OP, I've said here & previously that I like the idea of individual housing & that they should remove the need for 5 people to set up a guild.

In my guild the rank 7's (and their friends) are not exempt from donating - in fact they put in more than anyone else. The members respect that and don't mind donating too - it's one of the reasons we reached GH20 3rd on xbox with no compulsory donations, buy-ins for new members etc - only influence.

• thejawlivesthejawlives Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    I can not imagine not being in a guild. I just think a good guild offers more of a positive then a negative experience...and i can go on all day explaining it, but that's not the topic.

Personal housing vs guilds...interesting idea and I think it would be a great addition or an alternative to those that will not join a guild or feel like they have to join a guild to get boons.

I last saw something simular in Skyrim Hearthfire in which a player could literally build a house, start a family, build a farm etc and would have to protect it much like what is done in Strongholds...but on a much smaller scale. I'd like to see some sort of boon system in place...but it should definitely be scaled appropriately. If your Homestead is 1/10 of that of a guild...Homestead boons should be 1/10 as good.

Anyway...interesting topic and I can see a lot of ideas that would make Homestead great...what is yours?
  • thejawlivesthejawlives Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    It appears the forum already has player housing as a topic...

Merge maybe?

Edit: spelling
  • mahburgmahburg Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

It seems someone has had some bad experiences in guilds. I understand the desire to do your own thing (I was guildless for about 6 months & was quite happy) but the main reason people join them (apart from boons) is to have a regular group of people to do stuff with.

Yes there are some that like to dictate that members run certain content for donation requirements but these guilds usually have problems keeping hold of their members. Good leaders know that the best way to get what you want is to give the members what they want.

The sentence "I understand most of you have a slave mentality and love to be ordered around and dictated to" is so condescendingly offensive and inaccurate that it says a lot more about the author's inability to interact on a normal level with other people than it could ever suggest about everyone else.

There's nothing wrong with being antisocial but pretending it's normal and everyone else are the weird ones is just laughable.

I find the attitude to guilds in here odd to say the least, especially when every online game has clans or crews or similar, indeed some award achievements for being in one and progressing one, Cod Halo Gta and AC are just four that spring to mind. In fact GTA just took this concept even further with ability to by an office and create an organisation that could cross crew structure (kind of like alliances with the office being their Stronghold), so claiming the concept is outmoded is too funny given what happens across the Xbox gamespace right now!
  • destrowoddestrowod Member Posts: 484 Arc User
    I don't understand your reasoning peoples, so the house is to be done solo, then it should take as long as a guild? WTF lol

The guild is made in mind to have 150 GT, the house would for one. So everything should be scaled to 1/15 and still give the same benefit. See it this way, if you build solo, you MUST be a pay to win person to go as fast as most guild since said guild usually have pay to wins in leadership etc. If anything im sure the solo free to play players would still go slower than most guild even with the 1/15 scale.

Personally i think the idea of the OP is great. I am in a guild and i apreciate the peoples in it, and i am happy about alliances to have more people to play with, a commune chat etc for runs. But im a person with lots of free time and that don't play many games back to back. So i can afford to do requirements easily. But even i, sometimes i get very tired of influence and there small rank 5 rewards. I wish a profession task would added to make some, at least give an alternative to some players that can't play every day etc. Maybe not giving as much, but at least some of it, like the AD crates... Make it like 200 influence but it take 18 hours to run with 3 purple guys...

All the rest, at least they alternate, campaign currency etc, i never run all campaigns daily in a day, NEVER, but i always have to run influence cause if i don't i feel like me(and the guild) loose on some good influence.

Another good solution would be a weekly cap, instead of daily. That way people could run it all in one day, or on different, that way "the work part" could be dealt with faster and the rest would be fun.