test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

An angry rant

akoran#4212 akoran Member Posts: 36 Arc User
This is just me ranting about something that really annoys me in the game, and i know it annoys other people as well.

Idiots undercutting prices on the AH.

Firstly, IT IS NOT NECESSARY. there is literally no need whatsoever to undercut prices.
Secondly, it ruins things for everyone else. you make other people have to either wait forever or remove their lot and repost, costing them AD if they are below rank 8 VIP. Third, it ruins the economy on certain items. Heroes used to go for 250k, they're now below 90k.
When you see someone put an item up, charge the exact same as them, that way whoever is buying chooses between you two.
It annoys me so damn much

Comments

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Certain people will always undercut, to try to sell their item the quickest. To be perfectly honest, I undercut people all the time. Why? Cause when I have something I want to sell, I would like for it to go quickly. Best way to do that is to undercut everyone. It's just how the auction house works. People do it in like, every MMO I've ever played. You will just have to get used to it.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    That's what I do. Undercutting actually helps the players as the price, as you pointed out on Heroes, goes down.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • akoran#4212 akoran Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

Certain people will always undercut, to try to sell their item the quickest. To be perfectly honest, I undercut people all the time. Why? Cause when I have something I want to sell, I would like for it to go quickly. Best way to do that is to undercut everyone. It's just how the auction house works. People do it in like, every MMO I've ever played. You will just have to get used to it.

why do you want to sell it quickly? 9 times out of 10 its not that urgent for you to get the AD

• someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    That's why I bought VIP12.
    Call me a plain old jerk but I'll continue undercutting you just coz its fun. Period.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    Please, lets be honest here. The cost of Heroes didn't go down due to undercutting. But due to leadership being far less useful then it used to be.

If undercutting was really that big of a factor in market prices, NO item would EVER have its price increase without serious market manipulation.

So, with this hyperbole set aside. I'm curious, short of price fixing, how EXACTLY would you propose to stop undercutting?
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User

Usually it is just mean-spirited undercutting. I have people undercut me for 1, literally 1 AD. lol

I see that all the time. I consider it poor-spirited to undercut someone in that cheesy fasion.

I don't have a problem with undercutting in general.

Call me a plain old jerk but I'll continue undercutting you just coz its fun. Period.

Wuz it you???! :smile:
  • bluebubbl3sbluebubbl3s Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    i dont take issue with the undercutting if its a couple of hundred or even a couple of thousand ad.

i take issue when i go to list something and some moron has undercut the listing before it by something stupid like 30k. wtf for?? to sell quicker? 2k prolly would have done the trick and you just diddled yourself out of ad... ijit. on principal, i will list close to the one above that and let that moron get ripped off. i am happy to wait for my AD.
    Myth (CW & DC)
    Guild Leader - Valaurakari Ascension

VA is the creator and proud member of The Round Table Alliance
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Pigs get fat, and get the AD in their pocket sooner. Hogs get slaughtered, and hold on to their item for longer before selling for even lower.

Before I got VIP, I would undercut by 5% to minimize being undercut. Now I can undercut by less.

Usually it is just mean-spirited undercutting. I have people undercut me for 1, literally 1 AD. lol

Yep. I won't buy from these people. I'll buy from the next one with a slightly worst price.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Most Sellers want to maximize their profit and minimize the length of time their items are listed. Most Buyers want to pay the lowest price possible for the item they want.

Being undercut doesn't bother me. It didn't bother me before VIP either. It's just the reality of the market. It's a risk of doing business, simple as that.

• tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    Free market economy.

Price fixing isn't good for a real economy, don't see why it would be good for a virtual one.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • bolted8downbolted8down Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    lolz cannot believe this got a whole post of its own.
    So cute, so sheltered away from the real world.
    "Undercutting" makes the whole economy work.
    I'm selling because I'm "undercutting". You're listing and watching because you think your item is worth a certain amount.
    Your item is worth only what someone is willing to pay. If I list for as little as 1 AD less, 99% chance mine is sold...yours is collecting dust.
    Capitalism...stop imagining customers owe you what your item is "worth" and sell it for what they are willing to pay. Works every time.
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    Wow, amazing the vitriol over people undercutting each other... what if I don't want to sell my item for the same price you're selling yours for? What if I think you're overpricing your item and want to sell it cheaper? Or, simply just want mine to move faster because maybe I do need those AD sooner rather than later.

It always amazes me how upset people get over other people undercutting them on the Auction House in nearly every game I have played so far. Why do you think people need to put things on the AH for the price you think is reasonable instead of the price they are willing to accept for their item?

I got an Imperial Rage Drake to drop from the Summer Festival, if I followed your advice my drake would still be on the AH, instead I did undercut the other listings, and others undercut me as well. I didn't keep taking down and putting up my listing, but by the time the event ended my drake and some others that were lower in price sold. Some of the other higher prices ones were still there. Undercutting is just the nature of things on auction houses... heck in real life too for that matter. You think competitors in real life stores don't undercut each other as well? ;)
    @samaka#2511
  • kuero21kuero21 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited August 2016

I never buy those. I swear. Never. Not supporting such profit greed. Though, it wont make much of a difference because someone will buy those offers anyway.
    Same thing with superior marks of potency, I'm not going to support another player and buy one for 75,000 AD if I can just buy one straight off the wondrous bazaar for the same price and support the economy instead.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I undercut to sell quickly..
    Most of the time I don't need the item anyways, so if it is cut down to 1 ad I don't mind.

That's +1 ad for me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    undercutting helps get rid of items faster, also forcing Botters/sellers who expected high priced to sell thier baits, but it will forced them to lower the prices.

deal with it.
    why expected to get alot of ADs? sound like you are too greedy for more.

Wuz it you???! :smile:
    Just look above.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪

i take issue when i go to list something and some moron has undercut the listing before it by something stupid like 30k. wtf for?? to sell quicker? 2k prolly would have done the trick and you just diddled yourself out of ad... ijit. on principal, i will list close to the one above that and let that moron get ripped off. i am happy to wait for my AD.

Sometimes that's a dare. If they listed for 2k under, you just may undercut them again. What that is really saying is "Are you willing to undercut THIS??" I do it sometimes when I'm really trying to unload a high value item in order to buy another.
  • taevannyataevannya Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    You know what is worth ranting about? Players doing the dailies in Sharandar who prey on people doing the free the elves trapped in plant cocoons quest and steal the guy to arm while the game is still counting you in combat and says you can't click that npc to arm them yet... THOSE people are worth complaining about ;) --- I may or may not have just had that happen today... :s

That being said, generally, when I undercut, I see what the going rate is for. If only a couple of people are undercutting by significant amounts, I'll actually post somewhere inbetween their prices and the original prices. Chances are their stuff goes fast and then mine's the next lowest when people do a search.

On a similar note, it is disheartening when say the starry panthers event is up and you go to purchase one because their prices have finally dropped significantly and then someone with more AD than the rest of us buys all the undercuts and relists them for 200k again :( If you really want to control the market prices, being able to buy and relist all the people who undercut you is the only way you're going to do that. But I dislike people who do that and I wouldn't buy from you at that point out of principle ;)
    NW-DS9N7XBWI : Tel'met Beth'en Segreduin
    NW-DRSTZIHXU : The Silver Hand (needs reviews, RP map)
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

Sometimes that's a dare. If they listed for 2k under, you just may undercut them again. What that is really saying is "Are you willing to undercut THIS??" I do it sometimes when I'm really trying to unload a high value item in order to buy another.
    Yep, I sold 2 heroes for 75k each yesterday because someone had listed them for like 79k.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    I don't think many of the posters here, including OP in particular, understand economics. Finding a price that the marked will pay that still offers value to the seller is a delicate balance, and yes, VIP tilted that balance. Some might have noticed that, with Leadership fully AD-free and many rumored exploits now blocked, the total amount of AD available has dropped significantly, and, as such, prices have fallen.

That's the sensible answer. Here's a bit of snark.

I will always undercut. If I'm not moving the stacks of R5's and surplus refining I pick up from 2xE nchant events, they mean nothing to me. My balance sheets are way over in the black, and I intend to keep them that way.
    edited August 2016
    The main thing is

Idiots undercutting prices on the AH.
    which is direct insult to the all Neverwinter citizens (VIP8+).

empty string fix
    Post edited by someonedies on
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    if you need the AD a little under cutting is gonna happen
This discussion has been closed.