test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Error attempting to play map"

instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
edited July 2016 in The Foundry
So I'm working on my Harper Chronicles adventure, and after laying down a basic map, I attempted to play said map to test for continuity and whatnot.

After a minute or two, I got this:

And was sent back to the login screen.

This happened on all the maps in that quest.. pre-made and custom.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
header.png
"...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79

Comments

• instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    Update:

I did a Force Verify, restarted everything (modem, router, computer), sacrificed a virgin, and lit fire to my neighbor's house.

Nothing has resolved it.

I can play ingame just fine-ish.
    header.png
  • taevannyataevannya Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    Same problem just started up with my maps this evening :-/
    NW-DS9N7XBWI : Tel'met Beth'en Segreduin
    NW-DRSTZIHXU : The Silver Hand (needs reviews, RP map)
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    And that is probably the issues that have kept the foundry editor down all this time in the first place. :( Sadly, will have to wait til Monday to see if @terramak has time to confirm.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    I made a new 'Quest' to see if that worked, and it loaded fine. Went back to my previous map for what I'm working on and got the error again :-/
  • waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    Someone else was having the same problem. new map, error message. Don't have any details but had something to do with interiors somehow.. They played with their interiors and it was fixed.
    Sorry, wish I knew more.

Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I've never had this error.. Seems like a new one? I havent been back into the editor yet, but @terramak you wanted to know if there were any quests that didnt auto-republish?

of my 3 quests, only 1 auto republished.. the other two, the black pearl, and tidal redux have yet to appear. I only know the shortnames for (my) versions,, not the featured ones.. I can get em if it will help tho.

NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

I've never had this error.. Seems like a new one? I havent been back into the editor yet, but @terramak you wanted to know if there were any quests that didnt auto-republish?

of my 3 quests, only 1 auto republished.. the other two, the black pearl, and tidal redux have yet to appear. I only know the shortnames for (my) versions,, not the featured ones.. I can get em if it will help tho.

I believe that @tripsofthrymr was missing some of his quests as well. Mine are back.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    @kreatyve @terramak I looked in the Foundry editor this morning and saw the message Publish Failed for my foundry The Rise of Nicolas (NW-DAYMFZO7Z). I clicked the Publish button. After perhaps 10-15 minutes I looked and saw "Submitted for Featuring at 2016-07-11." However, when I searched all foundries in the Catalog using the Author field with @tripsofthrymr, only my featured one showed up. Searching by the short code also turns up nothing.

I appreciate that effort is going into the foundry. RA Salvatore said in his interview with Andy that he considers the foundry one of the most significant parts of the game because it gives players the power to tell stories. I realize that you have limited resources and a full agenda (modules, class balance, bug fixes). I know also that the foundry has been a major source of exploits. The game would benefit from restoring the Foundry to first class status, along with reasonable rewards for honest players playing foundry content, and rewards for foundry authors commensurate with the quality of their work (simply raising the maximum tip would be an easy start, though I suspect foundry authors are better rewarded with unique, recognizable tokens of their achievement than with AD).

Please spend some time thinking about how you can re-incentivize players to return to the foundry in large numbers without opening it up to new exploits. Allowing some fraction of campaign currency normally earned through repetitive grinding to be earned through the foundry instead (perhaps through foundries marked as themed for the specific campaign) might be a good place to start. It would reduce the player perception of repetitiveness, offer alternatives and even if exploited, only allow a character to avoid a set fraction of the dailies for a campaign area.

There are many other ideas to rejuvenate the foundry in this forum. I understand that many are impossible out of the box due to your time and resource constraints, but please see what you can do. Something valuable has been lost with the foundry's current status.

If you find time to invest in improving the foundry, I'll make myself available to discuss your proposed improvements and thoroughly test the implementation. I'm sure others will too.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    Has anyone tried manually republishing the quest? I still have unpublished quests that returned. Is the data (plays and reviews) still listed for them as well?
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
    edited July 2016
    waryur said:

Someone else was having the same problem. new map, error message. Don't have any details but had something to do with interiors somehow.. They played with their interiors and it was fixed.
    Sorry, wish I knew more.

Did they do this fix recently? Just curious. My map is once again loading :) A weekend out of working on it, I'll take that ;) I hope the publishing stuff get's sorted out.

Edit: Well, spoke too soon. I got about an hour's worth of work in, got disco'd, reloaded, got the error again :-/
    Post edited by taevannya on

The game would benefit from restoring the Foundry to first class status, along with reasonable rewards for honest players playing foundry content, and rewards for foundry authors commensurate with the quality of their work (simply raising the maximum tip would be an easy start, though I suspect foundry authors are better rewarded with unique, recognizable tokens of their achievement than with AD).

Please spend some time thinking about how you can re-incentivize players to return to the foundry in large numbers without opening it up to new exploits. Allowing some fraction of campaign currency normally earned through repetitive grinding to be earned through the foundry instead (perhaps through foundries marked as themed for the specific campaign) might be a good place to start. It would reduce the player perception of repetitiveness

*coughcough* @strumslinger *cough*

Rainbow Starry Panthers for everyone with a foundry shortcode in their signatures? ;D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    Thanks for all the fish.

*coughcough* @strumslinger *cough*

Rainbow Starry Panthers for everyone with a foundry shortcode in their signatures? ;D

Better get a signature made... o.O

Update on the map loading issue: So when I go play on one of my characters questing or some sort, then go back to the Foundry and pull up my map... it loads :p Just a thought in case anyone is pure foundry at the moment and hasn't played on their toons at all in-between ;)
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    I always make sure that I make at least one run through on the live server after working for a long time, even if the quest isn't finished or able to be completed. I can then go back into the editor and fix whatever didn't work right.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
    Wow.. hi everyone! :-)

I think I have things narrowed down to using the room builder on a custom interior map. I haven't had any more load issues since I re-re-re-re-redesigned my Underdark map.
    header.png

Wow.. hi everyone! :-)

I think I have things narrowed down to using the room builder on a custom interior map. I haven't had any more load issues since I re-re-re-re-redesigned my Underdark map.

Are you saying we shouldn't use the room builder tiles?
    No.. I'm just saying what I've found that caused my error. :-)
    header.png
    Just realized my community contest - portal didn't republish automatically either @terramak .. It's a very small quest with limited elements.. so if you're trying to track something down, check why my 'Portal' quest didnt come back? less stuff to go through. =D
    Thanks for all the fish.

No.. I'm just saying what I've found that caused my error. :-)

What was the issue? I'm still getting it :(
    It was the large blank "Room Builder" squares (I think that's what they're called" that I used inside the custom interior map.

I've had some time free up and will be hitting my Foundry this week... I'll get better words then.
    header.png
    Ok, awesome, I will check that out then!
    Bah, got rid of all my Large Blank Room builder tiles and still having the same issue :-/
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Has anyone tried manually republishing the quest? I still have unpublished quests that returned. Is the data (plays and reviews) still listed for them as well?

@torontodave and @iandarksword

I re-published all my foundries, without any problem. Maybe now, you need to wait until you get the message of "republished correctly" before you exit the Foundry. It takes 15-20 min to republish each one.

NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
    I THINK I found out was causing my issue. Looks like it was the small room builder tiles. I made a new map with all larges and so far have not encountered any problems with the map loading to test play it.
    Well, things were going relatively well on my custom room builder map and now this morning after 10 attempts, I'm still getting the 'Error attempting to play map.'. It's like I got over the 1k detail assets mark and it's become impossible to move further :-/ I'm not sure what to do. I have to use room builders because I'm making a tormite monastery that involves having an outdoor courtyard as well as a cathedral. There's just nothing in the prefab stuff that works.