test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Blog: Bringing Guilds Together

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
Now coming to Neverwinter is a much-requested feature: guild alliances. This feature will allow several guilds (up to 13) to group together in an “alliance” -- a sort of “mega-guild”. By grouping together, guilds in an alliance will be able to do things that they would have had trouble doing on their own.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9999303-developer-blog:-bringing-guilds-together

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• gphxgphxgphxgphx Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    So the answer to the game becoming too guild centric is to make guilds of guilds. ><
  • rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    "Guild leaders will be able to turn off certain features, like incoming and outgoing donations of specific resources, or map visits"

This isn't even on preview but you announce it anyways?
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    gphxgphx said:

So the answer to the game becoming too guild centric is to make guilds of guilds. ><</p>

I didn't realize there was a question related to guild centricity that required an answer - certainly none of the campaign content in Neverwinter requires you be in a guild, or levelling content, or PvP (other than siege which hardly anyone does anyway). So, I don't understand what you're on about here.

Alliances have been a major feature request in Neverwinter since it's inception and I couldn't be more pleased that they're finally releasing it. It's awesome to see them make a big update to the game that isn't tied to some WotC release.
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    rinat114 said:

"Guild leaders will be able to turn off certain features, like incoming and outgoing donations of specific resources, or map visits"

This was a feature requested by many as a result of that preview shard. So, this is great!

But, truth be told, it was kind of the minimum requested by the community. Common feedback was a concern that the "rewards" as envisioned fall short of providing the right incentives to stimulate guilds joining together on an equal basis, rather than an unfair basis (where everything is a pyramid benefiting the upper guild and the lower ones don't grow)... and also fell short of providing the right incentives to prevent super-guilds (where the obvious strategy is for huge guilds to join together and thus small guilds don't benefit much). We were told these were valid concerns but there wasn't the time to make many changes. :-(

As a member of a rank 7 guild, we certainly have had issues with guild wanting us to join in what we would consider an exploit relationship... where over time our guild would have been stripped for parts and only the Helm guild would grow. We said no, but not before losing three of our best players to that super-guild... which is now in an alliance only composed of super guilds. So...
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
  • scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    edited June 2016

rinat114 said:

This was a feature requested by many as a result of that preview shard. So, this is great!

Yes it was a requested feature. But they are announcing it as if it was going to working tomorrow when in fact it is not going to be working, the option to block visits to your SH is not even available. But they advertise as if it was.

@strumslinger You need to fix your blog post.
    Post edited by scathias on
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!

gphxgphx said:

So the answer to the game becoming too guild centric is to make guilds of guilds. ><</p>

I am not sure it is to guild centric, but I have met more than a few players who have been in the "wrong guilds" and are rather crispy on the whole guild thing.

A good guild with voice chat can be a lot of fun. Where else can you talk to someone from the balkans about the best way to roast a goat on a spit or life in a monarchy from someone in Saudi Arabia while simaltanously putting an ax through the head of a dragon. I think just like a good guild a good alliance will be a lot of fun. I hope and suspect that a good alliance may even be more fun than a good guild.
    They can be a lot of fun. When it degrades into disciplinary and threatening letters because you'd rather do something else that week other than quests designed to fill guild coffers, not so much. The expansion turned some players from carefree players into employees with quotas and a boss to report to. That's not fun, it's a job.

kvet said:

gphxgphx said:

I didn't realize there was a question related to guild centricity that required an answer - certainly none of the campaign content in Neverwinter requires you be in a guild, or levelling content, or PvP (other than siege which hardly anyone does anyway). So, I don't understand what you're on about here.

Alliances have been a major feature request in Neverwinter since it's inception and I couldn't be more pleased that they're finally releasing it. It's awesome to see them make a big update to the game that isn't tied to some WotC release.
    True, and I do play solo now. Just pointing out rather than attracting new people to guilds the expansion has made some decide to abandon them entirely.

• cellablockcellablock Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    trying to remember the 2 factions from gg event
    what are they again ?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

trying to remember the 2 factions from gg event
    what are they again ?

They were Delzoun Explorers and Luskan... Treasureseekers? but since the NPCs that you used to set those options are long-gone, you're stuck with whatever setting your guild used to have.

At any rate, I think once a GG faction was selected, you could change it for a high AD cost, but there was no way to get unfactioned.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia