test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Graphics

landoras1975landoras1975 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 88 Arc User
edited June 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok, since the game should be supported now on Windows 10, I tried Nvidias recommended settings for graphics.
The game works fine running these settings but after a while the old issue with disappearing icons comes back, like if you open the crafting window all squares are black and you have to wait like 10 seconds before they show.
Any new hint on how to get rid of this issue?

Comments

• karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    Which DirectX Version are you using?
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • landoras1975landoras1975 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 88 Arc User
    karakla1 said:

Which DirectX Version are you using?

I was trying DX 11 first and then switched back to "safe" DX9, but that didnt fix the issue. So, Im thinking this has todo with the graphic settings in some way. I have a GTX 970 card.
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    As Morenthar says. It could be because of your GTX970. The game is poorly optimized for these cards (GTX980/970), many players also complain of low framerate (like 30 and below).
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    reduce all textures to 79% in advance setings its known NVidia problem I had on my 550ti desktop and 950m laptop
  • solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User

Ok, since the game should be supported now on Windows 10, I tried Nvidias recommended settings for graphics.
    The game works fine running these settings but after a while the old issue with disappearing icons comes back, like if you open the crafting window all squares are black and you have to wait like 10 seconds before they show.
    Any new hint on how to get rid of this issue?

I believe they were porting Neverwinter to windows 10 but im not sure its allready compatible!!!
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The Escape key is your friend. Learn to pound it furiously to load the textures.

When I go into certain areas, I have to pound the escape key many times or I walk around like this for minutes.

When I open inventory, if I don't pound the escape key many times, I can take a coffee break and the icons would still be loading.

The graphics engine is really pathetic. Sure I can lower graphics to the minimum. But if you paid good money for a high end card, why should you? Especially for a three year old game. This is the only game I've experienced such poor performance. If I was a new player and walked into this not knowing the escape key trick, the game would be deleted from my PC so fast.
  • dameon2kdameon2k Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    The way I fixed all my texture loading problems was to move Neverwinter to my SSD drive. Completely fixed the problem.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    dameon2k said:

The way I fixed all my texture loading problems was to move Neverwinter to my SSD drive. Completely fixed the problem.

I have a samsung pro. Doesn't help
  • dameon2kdameon2k Member Posts: 77 Arc User

dameon2k said:

I have a samsung pro. Doesn't help
    Sorry to hear that. I was having terrible problems with my graphics and moving Neverwinter to my SSD fixed it. I had tried everything else and nothing worked. I believe, and this is just opinion, that there is something faulty in the code for the game. Obviously between my graphics card and my HDD there was a conflict with the game and switching to my SSD fixed it. I figure that has to be a coding problem somewhere.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User

The Escape key is your friend. Learn to pound it furiously to load the textures.

When I go into certain areas, I have to pound the escape key many times or I walk around like this for minutes.

When I open inventory, if I don't pound the escape key many times, I can take a coffee break and the icons would still be loading.

The graphics engine is really pathetic. Sure I can lower graphics to the minimum. But if you paid good money for a high end card, why should you? Especially for a three year old game. This is the only game I've experienced such poor performance. If I was a new player and walked into this not knowing the escape key trick, the game would be deleted from my PC so fast.

just reduce textures in advance options to 79% no real change in graphic but it helps to solve this problem if u have nvidia card
  • misquamacus2misquamacus2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 193 Arc User
    I fixed my texture loading problems by adding more RAM memory, from 8 to 16GB. Big difference in loading speed.

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Windows 10 is Windows 8 is Windows 7. :p

Windows OS has really meant nothing to software for quite a few years now. The days of full OS overhauls causing compatibility issues have been long gone so it is better to just simply forget what you think you know and ignore that there is any correlation between Windows OS and software of any kind. At least as of now, eventually compatibility might become an issue again but it is 100% not an issue since Windows 7.

As some others have said, icons missing is a texture and detail issue.

If you lower the detail level of textures and world distance you should see the issues reduce or outright resolve itself. The game, near as I can tell, will stop rendering graphics when the VRAM limit is reached and results in the unsatisfactory display issues.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2016

I fixed my texture loading problems by adding more RAM memory, from 8 to 16GB. Big difference in loading speed.

This will only work if you are using Integrated Graphics as Intel Graphics or AMD APU's use the system RAM for VRAM.

Those with dedicated graphics with built in DDR5 memory on the boards are limited to the RAM on the card unless they tinker with some rather advanced options in the BIOS. Honestly for most people with dedicated graphics dropping the texture details will be the better option. :)

However, it is correct that laptop users or those without a real graphics card will up their VRAM limit by increasing their system RAM. However buying a real GPU will still be the superior option to increasing RAM for those who are not using a laptop.
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User

Windows OS has really meant nothing to software for quite a few years now. The days of full OS overhauls causing compatibility issues have been long gone so it is better to just simply forget what you think you know and ignore that there is any correlation between Windows OS and software of any kind. At least as of now, eventually compatibility might become an issue again but it is 100% not an issue since Windows 7.

If you lower the detail level of textures and world distance you should see the issues reduce or outright resolve itself. The game, near as I can tell, will stop rendering graphics when the VRAM limit is reached and results in the unsatisfactory display issues.

that sounds like 9gag level tech opinion
  • lina#3656 lina Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Does dropping the texture quality to 79% also fix the issue where when you talk to a vendor all the textures disappear and then reload, albeit pretty quickly? I am running a GTX 570 2.5gb card.
    @lina#3656
    yokki1 said:

that sounds like 9gag level tech opinion
    Not sure how to take that TBH but everything I said is true.

If it makes it any clearer: Windows has simply been optimized since Windows 7.
    There's been no major changes to the code in years. Hence why the only compatibility issues that have existed as the release of the OS's is generally printer drivers.

Windows 8 is Windows 7 Optimized with major changes to the UI. Windows 10 is just another optimization iteration with additional changes to the UI and a large chunk of bloatware services added by Microsoft which they have made a true nightmare to shut down.

The long story short is that Windows versions are more like Android or OSX version iterations than the Windows versions of the past. Whenever a new Android version comes out people don't flock to the android forums wondering if all of their apps will still work if they upgrade and the few who do make a fuss quickly get told to calm down and that nothing ever completely breaks between version iterations. Many people seem to live in the past with Windows though and still jump to blame Windows OS versions for every little hiccup.
  • hfleethfleet Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    There's gotta be something wrong in the code for Neverwinter though.

I use a dual boot system, so exact same hardware,
    when I load Windows 10 I get 25 fps in PE (and 10-15 fps in ST) while other areas sometimes get better (indoor maps are fine)
    when I load Windows 7 I get 55-60 in PE, 45 is ST, 60 everywhere else.

Nothing has helped the frame rates in Win10, re-installed from scratch, new drivers, beta drivers, shut down every non-essential background task, tried DX11/DX9/DX9ex, moved in-game performance sliders from each end one step at a time, etc.

No other game or test I run shows a slow down, only NW (and other PWE games like Start Trek)

Running a FX-8350@4.8GHz, R9-290X-4GB, 32GB dual-DDR3 system RAM, Samsung 840 EVO ssd.
    There's plenty wrong with NW's optimization but it really shouldn't have anything to do with the Windows versions.

You are sure nothing else changes besides the OS?

In any case even if what you are describing is 100% accurate that sounds like it is a driver issue. That is not to say that you need to update the drivers but rather that AMD likely has an issue in one of their drivers which is the cause of the slow down. The purpose of DirectX and other API's is to reduce the effect the OS has on programs which use the API.

This is why you don't see people making a big fuss about operating systems. Look up graphics card reviews and benchmarks. They never even cite which OS they are using when supplying test results.
    This is just the first video on my youtube feed but you can check any tech news source and if it is listed it is in the fine print and not along with the test results. The OS really shouldn't make a big difference as the API's graphics cards use should bypass the OS completely.

With all that in mind let's run through a simple logical deduction:

Situation: You are experiencing a performance drop in Windows 10. I am not.
    Logic: if Windows 10 was the cause then we would both suffer a performance drop.
    Conclusion: The cause is something your system has but mine does not.
    End Result: the cause must be related to the hardware as we both run the same OS and the same code within the game.

The evidence points to something in your system that other people don't have causing the performance drop. Windows 10 may be the catalyst but if the game simply ran poorly with Windows 10 everybody with Windows 10 would experience it. As such I would sooner suspect that it is a driver problem with your hardware that AMD will have to resolve.
  • hfleethfleet Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Using a dual boot setup on my machine - so Exact same hardware.

Both boots on my system are fresh installs.
    Both boots using the Exact same drivers - the One file is for all of Win7-8-8.1-10 x64 edition.

I get this low frame rate issue Only in Win10 on multiple different machines: multiple systems at my place, a friend's machine, multiple laptops. Different cpu's, gpu's, ram amounts - only factor that doesn't change is Win10... (NW on Win7 works just fine on all systems tested)

I have done reinstalls of the os and the game. Launched from ARC or directly from neverwinter.exe, no difference. Relocated the install directory from my "games sshd" to the ssd, no difference. Tested with a minimum install, then with most of the normal extras, with and without anti-virus programs, with browsers open or closed, full screen vs windowed-boarderless, with only one monitor vs my usual two, with the default windows supplied gfx driver, with regular AMD driver and the latest betas...

I don't know what else to try really...

On any system I have run NW on: only Win10 has the low frame rates...

What cpu/graphics cards are others using(those reading this I guess)?

Sys1: FX-8350@4.8GHz, R9-290X-4GB, 32 GB dual-DDR3
    Sys2: i7-920, Radeon HD7850-1GB, 12 GB tri-DDR3
    Sys3: (laptop) AMD APU A10-8700P, 12 GB dual-DDR3
    Sys4: (friend's laptop) i5, nv mid-level add-in gfx

All tested systems did fine in Win7 or 8, but dropped to less-than-half when upgraded to Win10

I can't think of what else to try - I hate rebooting into Win7 just to play one game (even if it is my fav game still)

ps: Thanks for taking the time to give feedback - it means a lot to me (and I'm sure many others) that a Comm Mod is chipping in to help!