test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bondings that much better than augments?

santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
edited April 2016 in PvE Discussion
So I've been giving bondings a whirl with a legendary Air archon--several sources said this was a pretty good pet for the purpose. My stats just moving around are of course lower than with a legendary dragon stone. And I've found that I take out mobs faster than the archon can get involved in the fight--I rarely see more than 2 companion's gift.

My bondings are currently 12, 11 & 11. I'm a GWF, crit build.

I understand that in a boss fight there is a lot more opportunity for companion's gift, and likely get 3--I'm too busy fighting to monitor at that point. I guess I'm just a fan of *solid* stats.

The air archon doesn't seem that aggressive--I may get a shadow demon or a warlock eventually, but why do others find bondings so much more impressive??

Comments

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    Here's the deal. If you're melting packs of trash mobs or solo PvE content before your bonding runestones can proc, then do you really need those extra stats? Nope.

But if a fight lasts longer than a few seconds, then the advantages become pretty clear. However, that's also a big reason why people focus on pets that can quickly stack Companion's Gift in a couple seconds, to maximize the utility in even the shortest of fights.

If you're fan of "solid stats" as you say, there's nothing wrong with using an Augment. You'll still get a big enough boost, and all without having to worry about towing along a companion. It's a perfectly valid and viable way to play.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    It is also viable (though more expensive) to run both. I do not do this, but would imagine that for trash leading up to the boss fights, an augment may be better. Then switching to Bonding proccer for Boss fights and/or HE type fights.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    With decent gear (you got R11s and 12s) you dont have a problem with solo dungeons, as a GWF.

The interesting part are dungeons. The benefits a GWF gets here from bonding procs are even higher, than with other classes.

I have a 3.2k GWF with Zent. Warlock and 3 R 12 bondings. With all stacks applied I have 100% crit. chance and a ton of power, so I can fill my determination with one or two sure strikes. The mechanic for a GWF is a little bit different, then with other classes. More dmg = more determination = more unstoppable = more dmg. While other classes benefit directly from better stats, the GWF benefits twice from these better stats.

In conclusion the result of a active companion with bondings is not just more stats, but on top of that more determination.

Add to that the mount feat, that gives you power, when your companion attacks, even more stats.

Last, but not least, is the (maybe unintended) effect, that summoned companions can benefit from party buffs resulting in some crazy numbers.

Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User

why do others find bondings so much more impressive??

Because 285 > 100.

• Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    @morenthar, Shadow demon in principle has nothing to do with bonding stones. The shadow demon hits hard. Because people use shadow demon, we should nerf bonding! I could not understand your logic.

If bonding should not proc more than 3 stacks, fix it. If shadow demon should not hit that hard, fix it. If bonding with summoned companions is better than augment, I am sorry you have to accept that. It is not me made the decision but Cryptic. It is so clear that they want people to move on from augment. How cheap a goat will be if people keep open lockboxes, do you think Cryptic will keep augment as BIS so that people don't care any new companions they introduced. I don't think so.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    By that logic, anyone with the lolset was/is an abuser, and if you add that to the number of pve folks using bonding pets, shadow demon inculded... then you've covered pretty much every longterm player in the game.

Either we're abusers, or you're a self-righteous lol, I was trying to use that word that implies a person takes pleasure in hurting themselves, but the forum wouldn't let me - take your pick.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    nosimonosimo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 48 Arc User
    The only thing broken with them is the companions death resets their cool down so you can end up with more than 1 stack per stone. Aside from that devs have said they are wai. MO, they are far more overpowered than the lol set even if they fix the multiproccing.
  • Options
    wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    that, and guess the only source for bonding stones...so no multiproc fix soon imo
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • Options
    mirlegrismirlegris Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    "When your Companion activates a power, it has chance to grant you Companion's Gift. Companion's Gift grants you X% of your companion's stats for 20 seconds."

There is no mention of a cooldown, or if it can stack or not. You can't say "it is not WAI", and we can't say "it is WAI" unless a confirmation from Cryptic/PWE.

Sure, multiple stacks from pet death seems to be not WAI, but otherwise, we can only speculate.

And, even if Bondings are not WAI, they will not fix them until they add an expansive alternative ( eLol set -> orcus set ) : nerf Bondings = fewer sales of C-wards and RP.
  • Options
    Your sentance was implying that you are ignorant about the separations of the two issues :) sorry we are not reading your mind and correcting your posts based on that.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
  • Options
    eion311eion311 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    morenthar said:

@strumslinger (I haven't seen a response on this yet, if there is one, apologies ahead of time strum)

The worst kept secret in the game is that bonding runestones aren't working properly. Not sure if you have to have R12s or just greater or above. But they proc like mad off of companions. The most popular companion being the Shadow Demon.

People are abusing the hell out of it. Now, I do think active companions should be as good as augments (why have active companions in the game,) but this bug with the bonding stones is WAY out of hand. It's just as detrimental to the game as Lostmauth's Set and needs to be fixed ASAP.

I'm not sure what you're talking about as companions are suppose to proc the bonding stone. The only time I get more then three stacks is when the companion dies and revives. If that's is what you're talking about then yes that is an issue, has been for awhile now, and needs to be fixed. It has nothing to do with what companion you are using.
  • Options
    There are issues with the mechanic of bonding stones, fast companions simply work better with them.
    the subissue of a companion dying and restacking 3-9 more stacks and giving you 1000% more stats is there too.

IMO - Make bonding stones like "ring of sudden...." - proc at start of battle and every 30 sec. after that.
    Code is there - all companions would be equal - players won't be mad that their favorite pet is a slow attacker...

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Perhaps I'll save up for a more premium companion (striker or ranged) and keep the augment for soloing and light fare. I have a new job that's kept me from really doing dungeons and trying it out on bigger prey. I don't know why my character is always so broke!!! :-)

BTW: I'm not in the "they're broke camp"--that is a side issue I'm not really concerned about.
  • Options
    bittynationbittynation Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    morenthar said:

@strumslinger (I haven't seen a response on this yet, if there is one, apologies ahead of time strum)

The worst kept secret in the game is that bonding runestones aren't working properly. Not sure if you have to have R12s or just greater or above. But they proc like mad off of companions. The most popular companion being the Shadow Demon.

People are abusing the hell out of it. Now, I do think active companions should be as good as augments (why have active companions in the game,) but this bug with the bonding stones is WAY out of hand. It's just as detrimental to the game as Lostmauth's Set and needs to be fixed ASAP.

When a 3k toon with bonding rune stones can do more damage than a BIS toon, this is a huge issue. The most cost effective way to get HDPS toon is to not spend any AD on anything except bonding rune stones. They are by far the best bang for your buck when it comes to DPS.

• Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    morenthar said:

The worst kept secret in the game is that bonding runestones aren't working properly.
    ...But they proc like mad off of companions.
    ...People are abusing the hell out of it.

Yeah. It's cool-down bug is blatant, and very popular. I'm very shocked it's gone this long.
    But like someone earlier said (or implied), since bonding stones come with cash shop pets, they'll probably look the other way.

• Options

Perhaps I'll save up for a more premium companion (striker or ranged) and keep the augment for soloing and light fare. I have a new job that's kept me from really doing dungeons and trying it out on bigger prey. I don't know why my character is always so broke!!! :-)

Tried out a warlock yesterday for SH Dragons and noticed some improvement in standings. Shelled out for a Shadow Demon and ran through Dread Spire--now I'm seeing large surges in power and crit. Thanks for the advice, everyone!
  • Options
    durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User

When a 3k toon with bonding rune stones can do more damage than a BIS toon, this is a huge issue. The most cost effective way to get HDPS toon is to not spend any AD on anything except bonding rune stones. They are by far the best bang for your buck when it comes to DPS.

Meh. player's awareness of his toon's mechanics can make up a lot of difference from a 3k to a BIS one. But yes, spending AD on bonding stones is the best and most efficient way(atm) to upgrade your toon's overall performance.
  • Options
    blinxonblinxon Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    morenthar said:

People are using the Shadow Demon because of its damage on top of the broken multiproccing of Bondings.

Thats wrong. You can check this in every run with ACT. You said the shadow demon can make dps like a 2,5k toon. You never proofed it. So i made checks in CN runs ( 5 times with ACT). Well...ur wrong.
    Ppl using demon cuzz it got 3 off slots. If you wanna have real bad bounding buffs, you need compagnions with rings. Demon got no ring slot. Zhentarim got one. And ppl with zhentarim know why they using it ^^.
  • Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    blinxon said:

If you wanna have real bad bounding buffs, you need compagnions with rings.

Serious question. Which rings make such a big difference ? You can get the same stats from Loyal Avenger Icon, Talisman, Sword Knot and Necklace as you can from a Loyal Avenger Ring and they are a whole lot cheaper. Which companion rings give a better boost than these Loyal Avenger pieces of gear that would make having a companion with ring slots so much more desirable than one without them ?

• Options
    kacezetkacezet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    qexotic said:

Serious question. Which rings make such a big difference ? You can get the same stats from Loyal Avenger Icon, Talisman, Sword Knot and Necklace as you can from a Loyal Avenger Ring and they are a whole lot cheaper. Which companion rings give a better boost than these Loyal Avenger pieces of gear that would make having a companion with ring slots so much more desirable than one without them ?

Rings of sudden anything+4/5

• Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    kacezet said:

qexotic said:

Ah right. The one's made out of unobtainium :)

• Options
    kievitzkievitz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 260 Arc User
    qexotic said:

kacezet said:

qexotic said:

Ah right. The one's made out of unobtainium :)

Yeah, pets proc suddens, if ya got 2 ring slots stick suddens with power and crit, and voila ya got 12k power and 12k crit :) with fast procing pet and r12 bonds. its burst stats but yeah for a few seconds you become a monster toon. No to mention if those suddens proc when ya got the stacks over 3 cause of the bug, some people have posted gaining up to 6 stacks of companions gift, do the math.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    blinxon said:

morenthar said:

People are using the Shadow Demon because of its damage on top of the broken multiproccing of Bondings.

Thats wrong. You can check this in every run with ACT. You said the shadow demon can make dps like a 2,5k toon. You never proofed it. So i made checks in CN runs ( 5 times with ACT). Well...ur wrong.
    Ppl using demon cuzz it got 3 off slots. If you wanna have real bad bounding buffs, you need compagnions with rings. Demon got no ring slot. Zhentarim got one. And ppl with zhentarim know why they using it ^^.
    SD do something like 5-7 Millions damages in a classic CN run. Definitively not more damages than a 2.5k toon, but close to the damage of a 2k blue/r7 alt. Still twice the amount of damages of a Zentharim.

For few class and builds, SD ( 3 off slots + damages + active bonus ) is far better than Zenth, for others, Zenth is better, like Yéti, Dog, Mercenary, etc etc...

If only there was a companion who combines fast bonding proc + 3 off slots + 3 ring slots + decent damages... :p
  • Options
    blinxonblinxon Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    mirlegris said:

If only there was a companion who combines fast bonding proc + 3 off slots + 3 ring slots + decent damages... :p

There is one compagnion with 3 Ring slots. But to slow....
    And i dont know which grp you are running that the SD can deal that damage. In our runs SD never delt more then 1 mio. Maybe the grp was to strong and i have to test it with lower geared ppl.
  • Options
    There is 4 companions ( maybe more with companions who are not in Collections ) with 3 ring slots, 1 is an augment.

I run CN with guildies, usually 3 DPS + 1 tank ( 4k OP or 4K GF ) + 1 opportunistic choice, i'm often the least geared ( TR 3K ).

As a TR, since the Mercenary is not available for me, SD is the best companion for my build.
  • Options
    null
    yep just noticed that it procs sudden rings...
    clearly working as intended.....fix commin 2018 with the intro of the newest overly attached stones - zen only and giving divine protector and +2345% stats..... omg this game is so out of quality control and bugged.... any other multi player game would do an emergency patch to stop them working and soon after a permanent fix that balances things... but no we got a recolored cloak for 35$