test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I must be missing the new guides 2016???? Can a DC please help me...?

caira21#7861 caira21 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
Hello all, I am a new player to Neverwinter and I've been playing for just over 2 weeks now. I am currently playing a Devoted Cleric LvL 66 and I can't find any recent guides or build templates to help me with leveling/building my Devoted Cleric: Anointed Champion. Everything seems to be way out of date. Could I please get some help from any other players who have knowledge of the builds or maybe somebody who knows of a site that I haven't been able to find that has more recent information. I would really appreciate it. I know if I haven't found any updated build information, then others are probably having problems, also. Thanks for listening all...

Rendal Ironfist lvl 66 DC:AC
Guild - H2O "Hard 2 OverCome"

P.S.- If anyone out there needs a guild, send me an in-game message.

Comments

• narjimanarjima Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    First of all: welcome to Neverwinter and the Temple!

You are indeed right that there aren't many up-to-date guides available for the DC class. There is one in the making though which you can find here arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1213089/elfs-mod-9-guide-placeholder-under-construction. Even though it is not complete it already contains a lot of information on the role of the cleric in parties, basic mechanics of the class and the powers. Especially the powers section will help you in deciding which ones you want to take while leveling further.

For more specific help it would be great if you could give some more details about yourself and what you want to do with your cleric:
    - Do you want to play PvE or PvP? If both, which one will be your focus?
    - For PvE: Do you want to focus your play on party or solo play?
    - Which role do you see yourself taking? Do you want to be a healer? Do you prefer to buff your teammates? Do you want to deal damage yourself?
    - If you want to play with parties, will the other people be new people like you (e.g. a group of friends that all started playing together) or will you play mostly with more experienced players (e.g. guild mates that have been around for a while)?

If you provide the answeres to these questions it will be a lot easier to point you in a direction that will fit with what you are expecting from your character.
  • caira21#7861 caira21 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    WOW! First off, wanted to say Thank-You, Narjima, for taking the time to post that reply. Let me give you a little background about me first. I am 38 years old and I have been playing MMORPG's since the start of Ultima Online. From there, I was a beta tester and player of Everquest and World of Warcraft.... SO, yeah. I've been playing MMO's for over 20 years, or somewhere around that long.
    I have done it all - Big guilds, Small guilds; Tanks, DPS, Support and Healers. I have found that I like being a group player, mostly PVE and I also do some PVP. But, for the most part, I am PVE all the way. I always try to do whatever I can to help the group/guild; even when that has meant I've needed to sit out for 1 or 2 raids, so other players could get what they've needed. I have also done the whole, "This MMO is my 2nd Real Life JOB" and I am done with that now. I just want to play a good game. A game where I can have some nice end game fun. Without playing 23 hours/day and forgetting what family looks like or what my bed feels like! LOL

AS far as my cleric goes, I would like to be a Raid Healer / Group healer 99% of the time. I'd also like to be able to do some dailies solo if I can. But, if it made me a better healer to not have any solo abilities - then, so be it.

As to whether I would want to play with new players or seasoned Vets or Real Life friends - I guess we'll just have to see where this all takes me. I am only level 66 and only 2 weeks into playing this game. But, I do like playing with Vets because they push me to be my best. Although, I also use MMO's as a way to socialize with Real Life friends and Family as well.

So.... What do you think?

• bluangelukbluangeluk Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Hello, welcome!

End-game level 70 DC here. Though I focus on keeping an up-to-date PvP DC, I love to run PvE content as a healer and also solo dailies. My build fairs well in all aspects. I can heal as effectively as a PvE DC. And whilst soloing dailies can be slow at times, I can manage small and medium heroic encounters in my strong hold alone without them taking forever! :)

You're welcome to send me a tell in game if you want. I don't visit the forums too often! @bluangeluk
    "Here's a circle... I'm not sure it's a real circle, so don't trust it too much!" Idril (AoGlyph)
    9abea38.png
    Ok, since you want to be a main healer you basically have two options regarding your build. And with this I mean where you put your feat points. On the one hand we have the Virtuous path, which boosts the power of your HoTs and can provide you with some nice buffs for your party members. The most noteable one would be the action point gain, which has been sort of defining this path for quite a while now. Since there is a nerf on the PTR to this particular aspect I can't really recommend that you go this route. If there are other players that have tested the new Virtuous builds already it would be great if they can provide you with a build, but I am atm not able to give you a solid recommendation here.

Instead I would suggest you go for the second healing path, which is the faithful feat tree (the middle one). It revolves around big clutch heals, and most noteworthy is the capstone feat "Agent of the Divine". What it does is that 25% of your heals are stored on an ally as a buff called gift of faith. If a character that has gift of faith on it drops below 45% health they are healed by the amount of heals you stored on them. It is an awesome mechanic that helps you a lot to keep your party alive. It also makes for a relatively easy playstyle that works well even for a low geared toon and I enjoyed it a lot when I first started running epic dungeons.

In case you decide to go with this build, I'd suggest you distribute your feats like this nwcalc.com/index.html#/dc?b=2xhq:zb2bfy:9m9s:9fx6m,1li3314:1u0z000:1z055u1:1000000&h=0&p=anc or similar. To be honest, there isn't one approach to feat distribution that is the best or the most optimal. However, I can promise you that this build will work fine since I ran with it for a long time. Still there are ofcourse things that other people might do different and I hope that some other people will post their ideas too. The best part about being a DC is that the class is incredibly flexible, you just have to find out what is your playstyle and what fits to it. So take what I'm suggesting as a starting point!

To sum it up, I suggest you chose the Annointed Champion paragon path. If you are in party I'd recommend to slot Bastion of Health, Break the Spirit and Divine Glow as encounters, Blessing of Battle and Astral Seal as at wills and Annointed Army and Hallowed Ground as Daily Powers. For your rotation, you can try something like this: Start by casting Blessing of Battle, followed by Astral Seal until Divinity is full. Then you switch to divinity mode and use your 3 charges to cast Bastion of Health (big heal) and/or Divine Glow (smaller heal, but does some damage and applies a buff) depending on how much healing your group needs. Then, once you are fully empowered you switch out of divinity mode and cast Break the spirit, which will buff your allies damage by 30%. Rinse and repeat. For the dailies, if you are at the beginning of a long fight, cast Hallowed Ground. It's a super awesome party buff (damage AND resistance) and for buffing superior to Annointed Army. However you won't generate AP anymore while it is active, so for short fights you can use AA. Also Annointed Army is great at protecting your teammates, since it will absorb a couple of hits for them, so if your party is struggeling this is a good option too.

Other powers that you will use frequently:
    Chains of Blazing Light, Daunting Light and Flame Strike: slot these for solo content, as 3rd encounter I'd keep Divine Glow on your bar
    Astral Shield: very important for PvP but also for PvE when your party is really struggeling or (and this is quite important) when you are running with a Guardian Fighter that uses the Power "Into the Fray". I'm sure your guild mates will show you this once you start doing dungeons regularly!
    Forgemaster's Flame: use as an alternative to Break the spirit if there is a second DC in your party that uses BtS already

Stat wise, focus on power, crit and recovery. For solo content it is very helpful if you can push your Armor Penetration to around 40% resistance ignored, but you won't need this so much in dungeons. For defensive stats, HP is usually the best one for clerics since we have relatively high defense to begin with, making HP so much more valuable.

Ok, I hope I covered the basics for you. Let me know if you have more questions or there is anything else you need. You can also message me in game and we can talk :)
  • bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    Welcome to the Temple :)
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

WOW, Everyone! Thank-you for the responses from all of you 8).... While I am taking everything in, I thought a good next step would be to link my build and see what everyone thinks. I've got a lot of Real life Work over the next few days; but, by this weekend I plan to link my build so you can all look it over and let me know what you think. Like, where I can stand some improvement or where in my build I can leave things as they already are or if I need to just scrap it completely & start all over! LOL Almost level 67 now, so with the Double XP boost this weekend I plan to make a run for level 70. So with all that being said, I would like to thank you all again and I should have that build up here soon! What way is preferred to link the build? If anybody has any suggestions before I link it, they would be a big help!

Rendal Ironfist lvl 67 DC:AC

p.s. Thanks for all the support!
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    I assume you have the free maze engine pack. Use it now to buy an epic zen account wide mount at half the price and use the exp tomb for 2x free level now. Insta 70 if you have additional exp boost from azures, insignia and shirt/pants.
  • fizbadfizbad Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    jazzfong said:

I assume you have the free maze engine pack. Use it now to buy an epic zen account wide mount at half the price and use the exp tomb for 2x free level now. Insta 70 if you have additional exp boost from azures, insignia and shirt/pants.

Does the double XP actually work on the scroll? Now that'd be nice.
    Does the double XP actually work on the scroll? Now that'd be nice.
    Yes, it does. I just used it on a lvl 68 toon and hit 70 straight away :)
    Yes the double xp works i just went from 68 to lvl 70 WOOT!
    :) congrats!
  • treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited April 2016

Hello all, I am a new player to Neverwinter and I've been playing for just over 2 weeks now. I am currently playing a Devoted Cleric LvL 66 and I can't find any recent guides or build templates to help me with leveling/building my Devoted Cleric: Anointed Champion. Everything seems to be way out of date. Could I please get some help from any other players who have knowledge of the builds or maybe somebody who knows of a site that I haven't been able to find that has more recent information. I would really appreciate it. I know if I haven't found any updated build information, then others are probably having problems, also. Thanks for listening all...

P.S.- If anyone out there needs a guild, send me an in-game message.

So....i've read your full answers, i would recommend you to take a look at my build but you said you want to be a party healer, it isn't outdated for now, but if the changes to paladins really come out as they are on preview that build becomes trash.....so the answer is faithful. The problem here is you mention you would like to solo dailies....well as a faithful just reaching lvl 70 that will be far from easy, the answer to that would be righteous, but by going righteous you would prejudice the healing you intend to achieve, so not good idea.

My suggestion, build faithful, yes, but keep a spare equipment to solo dailies etc, armour penetration will be worth 0 in group content as a faithful but in solo content will not, each 100 armour penetration will be the same as 1% more damage, most mobs don't require more than 50% of it, and stacking it above all the other stats will be crucial, supposing you stack 100 power, your damage outcome will increase 0,25% and that will not be a maximum possible buff if you don't have armour penetration at the amount necessary.
    [Damage = Base damage * (1 - resistance left)]. Resistance left = oponent damage resistance - your armour penetration.

The stat damage resistance and armour penetration work as deductible, not as a percentage, so if your target has 40% damage resistance and you 50% armour penetration the outcome of resistance lef will be -10%, negative resistance is not effective, so the actual resistance left is 0, leaving us with Damage = base damage * (1 - 0) = full damage without deductions. So make sure you have 4 pieces of gear + 2 rings just as spare for dailies, shouldn't be hard to get.

Now to the paladins and Gift of haste change, so far virtuous + off hand weapon boost for hastening light would grant a crazy amount of action points to your team, the paladin would shield everyone using those action points, if the nerfs really take place that protection will be much, much reduced in time and adding to that the virtuous feat feat that gave that ap now doesn't grant it instantaneously but rather over time, and it's slow, it's so, so slow. That said, imo virtuous is not the best option any more, not even to put feats Gift of haste because the grant of that gift without virtuous last feat will take you away from protecting your party and focus more on giving AP.

DC is all about prediction, real healers are devoted paladins and SW temptation (if they are build into it). My build for a Faithful party intended:
    HUMAN!!:
    http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/dc?b=23ci:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13l3335:1z00000:1n5255v:1000000&h=1&p=dvo

NOT HUMAN!!!
    http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/dc?b=23ci:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13l3332:1h00000:1b5455v:1000000&h=0&p=dvo

this build has 1 purpose intended, it requires divine fortune at rank 4, and you can cast 3 astral seals to fully charge your divinity, astral seal will be very useful because it will trigger foresight on your allies when they attack the target and you can cast it in several targets so you are sure that your allies have foresight applied on them, meaning (on r4 of foresight) they will take 13% less damage, Anointed champion fails to surprise me with anointed army that seems to be the only thing worth of the paragon and can fall of very quickly if your allies get hit.
    Post edited by treesclimber on

• plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    dont want to start new thread.
    anyone know if the companion icon of loyal commander give 10% healing on augment companion?

*i checked my reinforce rings and companion do not give action points or stamina gain
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    the bonus does not transfer to you, only stats will transfer to you from the augment

reinforcements only transfer regeneration
  • sparxfiggy#2443 sparxfiggy Member Posts: 1 New User
    We're on the same boat my friend!