First off, a little credit.
- The R.A. Salvatore Featured Quest was fun (it was also short).
- The new skirmishes are a step in the right direction. The mechanic is more than TAB Q E R.
However, the mechanism for obtaining motes for the new weapons is beyond absurd. It's not just that there is a lot of time involved, it's that
- There is only one way to get the motes. Why not also make them available as long-ish duration crafting tasks, bring back Karru and allow fire motes to occasionally drop from the fire giants (similar solutions for other types), and here's an idea... allow Foundry authors to craft appropriately themed foundries that drop an appropriate mote upon completion? (There are many suggestions for preventing exploitation in the foundry forum).
- They can apparently be farmed by just standing there. Lazy players get the same benefit as players that grind their rear off. Same issue as campfire sitting in Tiamat (which is also not solved). Surely it can't be THAT hard to measure that a minimal level of engagement has been demonstrated by a toon sitting inside an HE boundary.
- Most of all, to be efficient you have to spend game time begging for an invitation to an instance. Over and over. For 100 HE's. That is a horrible break in the suspension of disbelief. It is not engaging game play. Perhaps you need to modify the spawn times when this new content is first released, or scale it to the number of players in all instances. Perhaps it would be sufficient to add additional means to obtain the motes. Developers, just sit down and look at /zone in the fire and water mote zones. Watch for 10 minutes and ask yourself if it looks like players are having fun, or if they are frustrated.
Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)
Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make
, The Gods We Seek
, and Ji-min