test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Player: I hit 70 and I have no idea what to do now.

aleariealearie Member Posts: 6 Arc User
I've been playing the game a little over a week, I hit 70 this morning. I was able to do the daily quests in Sharandar but the other zones seem to be too difficult for me.

I got my green artifact weapon/off-hand, I bought some epic pants/shirt and filled my other slots with blues. I enchanted all my stuff, got to ilvl 1862.

I read online eLoL is easy enough for new players, but I keep getting kicked from groups. I dodge all the red zones but I'm having trouble kiting the scorpions for long while trying to keep my heals/damage/debuffs up. They just eventually catch me one shot-me. Other players seem to get one-shot as well. So people kick me to find a tank or real healer.

And then I tried queuing for PVP and just get CC'd and die within a second. I've only won 2 of the 17 matches I have queued for. Players get angry at me and tell me I am undergeared.

Any suggestions on how I should gear up? I've tried reading online on what to do, but nothing is working for me. =/

I'm also wondering if going Righteous DC was a bad idea. I run with the proper buffs/debuffs, but I keep getting told I need to be heal spec. But I'm not gonna spend real money on a retraining token until I'm sure I will enjoy the game. Maybe I should try to make a different class?

Comments

• Options
    I think I'll stick with Righteous for now. I tried eLoL a couple more times and it went much better. I think the main difference from yesterday is we actually had tanks, so the bosses didn't have to run around and one-shot us. Overall better groups though.

I also managed to finish my dailies in Dread Ring. Still a bit too squishy to be in the other zones, but progress.

I'll try to look for a guild, thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    alearie wrote: »
    I think I'll stick with Righteous for now. I tried eLoL a couple more times and it went much better. I think the main difference from yesterday is we actually had tanks, so the bosses didn't have to run around and one-shot us. Overall better groups though.

I also managed to finish my dailies in Dread Ring. Still a bit too squishy to be in the other zones, but progress.

A good guild can go a long way. --I'm in Greycloaks but we're most often full. We have room in our sister guild - Blackcloaks.

I run gearing runs for people whenever I'm online (Most often on the weekends). Talk to @eladaylen in game. She's our Blackcloak Recruiter if you're interested. Maybe we can help?

http://greycloaks.enjin.com/​​
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    alearie said:

I am not sure where the legit community thread is anymore, @silverkelt can probably tell you where to go but its a group of people who can help make the game a lot more pleasant then it is with random players.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Regarding playing as a Righteous DC, that is what I do 98% of the time - however, if you run with PUGs, people may expect you to heal or provide them with the Haste Buff. A Righteous DC really starts to shine around TiL 2800 or so, when you run with high-geared groups and use your buffs and debuffs and double or triple their damage - allowing them to, well... melt the content much, much faster.

On the positive side, a Righeous DC should have no problems with the solo PvE content. There are a few places (in particular Cult Prison in WoD and Biggrin's Tomb in IWD) which can be a challenge (or at least unforgiving, in the sense that even a single mistake can get you killed) for a solo Righeous DC, but overall you should be just fine.

So...here is what to do:

1) Join a good guild. Finding the right one might take a few tries, but it is a very important decision. Unless you have some unusual requirements (Want a RP guild or a Hungarian-speaking one, for example), I advice looking for a guild that is not too small, is making decent progress on their stronghold, and has a decent number of people online during your play times. Most importantly, you want a guild with people that you can get along with. Consider this to be a long-term relationship - give it careful thought before you commit.

The guild will provide you with useful boons, and by killing the dragons you gain guild marks that will allow you to buy top-notch gear. A good guild will also help you gear up - take you on a few runs through eToS to allow you to get some purple armor pieces, for example, but remember - you are supposed to contribute back to the guild - you can do Stronghold HEs for 400 influence per day, donate surplus stuff to the mimic chest or help lower-level players...it depends on the guild what they expect from you - just make sure your willingness to contribute matches their expectations.

2) Join the Legit channel, and stop doing random PUGs. Running with fellow guild members should be your #1 choice, but that's not always possible. On the legit channel you can make it clear that you are a DPS/buff/debuff DC, and not a healbot or a haste machine.

3) Regarding PvP, I'm absolutely not an expert on that, but my advice is to not even bother with level 70 PvP until you have good PvP gear and a TiL of at least 2500.

4) Do the demon HEs in Dread ring or WoD. That will give you "currency" to advance in the Underdark campaign, and gives you useful boons, but also allows you to buy the Drowcraft items.

5) Work on all the other campaigns. The boons will make your character stronger. Beware that some of them (in particular the last two WoD boons) will take a lot of time.

6) Decide which artifact weapon set you want and work on getting that. As a Righteous DC, your best choice would be either the Burning set, the Drowned set (for PvP) or the Twisted set.

7) Wear at least R7 enchants in all your slots. Those are cheap.

8) Get the VIP pack. It pays for itself.

9) Make sure you have a useful set of artifacts (don't waste your AD on artifacts that give you useless stats). Use 2XRP weekends to level your artifacts and artifact gear up.

10) Collect items for salvaging. If you can hold them until 2xAD weekends do so. You cannot have too much AD ;)

11) Get a good set of companions.

12) If you play multiple alts, spend Zen to get an account-wide purple mount and the dragonborn package.

I'm sure I forgot a bunch of stuff, but I hope some of this will help.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    alearie said:

I've been playing the game a little over a week, I hit 70 this morning. I was able to do the daily quests in Sharandar but the other zones seem to be too difficult for me.

I got my green artifact weapon/off-hand, I bought some epic pants/shirt and filled my other slots with blues. I enchanted all my stuff, got to ilvl 1862.

Get Ensorcelled Mulhorand set for DC. It is cheap and practical solution for you. Especially if you afford to spend some AD on epic pants/shirt. Don't waste any RP on Elemental Weapon of Fire. It is common mistake with new players. With stat allocation (Crit/Power/Recovery) comfort zone for Righteous healer starts on IL 2.5 (without stones in util).
    alearie said:

I'm also wondering if going Righteous DC was a bad idea. I run with the proper buffs/debuffs, but I keep getting told I need to be heal spec. But I'm not gonna spend real money on a retraining token until I'm sure I will enjoy the game. Maybe I should try to make a different class?

It is certainly bad idea to play DC as DPS and expect to be welcomed in PUG parties.
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• Options
    Thanks, I'm still struggling with the zones that have level 73 mobs. But I'll start working on the Burning set and work on the boons that I can.

I bought VIP, how does it pay for itself? I claimed the stuff, what should I do with the keys?
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    alearie said:

I bought VIP, how does it pay for itself? I claimed the stuff, what should I do with the keys?

You can open one lockbox per day with the key. Now, people have different opinions on what the "best" lockbox is, but I'll ignore that for now. The average value of lockbox drops (on the PC) seems to be close to 20K AD.... meaning that you get close to 600K per month, which is enough to pay for the next month of VIP (after AH fees) with a bit left over. Also, as you get higher ranked VIP, you will get extra benefits - getting a big discount on GMoP and SMoP purchases becomes really valuable when you are refining high-end items.

Anyhow, you can either use the drops from the lockboxes or sell them on the AH. Sometimes you get packs of various kind, and you may want to either sell the pack as-is, or open it and sell the contents.

There is a tiny chance for some lockboxes of you getting something really valuable, like an epic mount that may sell for 10M+ on the AH, but don't select a lockbox just based on that.

You will also get some trade bars from the lockbox. They can be exchanged for useful stuff (like wards) at the trade bar vendor in PE.

Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    alearie said:

1. Purple keys are for lottery lockboxes. Each time you open lockbox with daily key, you get 5-15 bars. Trade them for Coalescent Wards in Tarmalune store ASAP. That is main most consistent benefit of VIP.

2. 25% discount for GMOP/SMOP. It is good perk.

3. +10% for any AD income. Less relevant perk, but for consistent 100k-300k AD daily earnings it is fine.

4. Fast teleport - Deal of time can be saved once you complete mission and you jump to point of interest (sometimes through auxiliary intermediate zone).

5. Slightly higher XP gain and no injures.

In general, if you plan to stay longer, profitable deal is buyout of VIP 12 with 15% discount coupons.

EDIT:

Point 1 is not true anymore
    Post edited by dfnce on
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• Options
    Just throwing an update here. I've unlocked more boons, found some artifact pieces, crit and power is much higher. I can usually keep eLoL pugs alive with just crits and Astral Seal/Divine Glow, usually don't even need to do that with a tank. I still sometimes have trouble on the scorpion boss, since I usually have aggro on one for some reason. But other than that, people who stand in everything, etc., game is much easier for me now. 20 more motes for my burning weapon!

I've been stubborn and didn't find a guild yet, but I've been enjoying progressing the hard way at least. Kinda wish the VIP I had just bought didn't go useless the next day. Oh well.
  • Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    Play the game
  • Options
    fizbadfizbad Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    dfnce said:

It is certainly bad idea to play DC as DPS and expect to be welcomed in PUG parties.

It is certainly bad idea to think that when you spec Righteous you "play DC as DPS".

• Options
    fizbadfizbad Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited April 2016

fizbad said:

dfnce said:

It is certainly bad idea to think that when you spec Righteous you "play DC as DPS".

Righteous is dps...
    Righteous is making sure that Condemning Gaze and Bear Your Sins are up. Any personal DPS that comes with that is gravy. If you're trying to rule the Paingiver chart, you're doing it wrong.