test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

dread weapon enchant for a dc

kss1985kss1985 Member Posts: 118 Arc User
edited March 2016 in The Temple
As DREAD weapon enchant, provides a boost to Critical severity (for encounters only) and gives a debuff of 40% (for not i think it is bugged)..
I think this enchantment can be great for DC.

Dc uses the at-will only few times to charge divinity... if the DC is DPS, then the damage comes from encounters for most, instead if the DC is heal (heal, AP, Buff/Debuff) it uses also encounters for most of the time.

As it provides also defence debuff, and resistance reduction, it would be amazing for any kind of DC build. we just need to understand if it is triggered by all encounters (not like plaguefire is not triggered by Divine glow) or the passive from owlbear pup (not working on chains or Douting Light)

What do you think? Anyone could test it?
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    i have it, i haven't tested it. There is a couple of catches to consider. The debuff is for defense only so its not actually a damage instead. It will suffer the same confusion as a terror enchant does where people they their DPS will rise 40% and it doesn't. Another thing to consider is divine glow doesn't proc weapon enchants so that is one encounter out the window. If you use astral shield it also will not benefit from dread enchantment. So you may find that it doesn't give as much as you hope depending on how it proc's on passives which many of us rely on.
  • Options
    the 40% is equal to Terror and a bit less that the 45% of 3 stack Plague fire.. so we can assume is similar in terms of debuff.

at what level you have it? (lesser, normal greater, perfect, pure, trascenddent) could you please test it to provide some info, on what encouter activates it, and if the debuf is applied correctly?

so.. if the enchants works correctly as per tooltip, will be great.. BUT needs to work correctly.
  • Options
    narjimanarjima Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    I also suspect that it might be a good choice for various DC builds. E.g. many healing DCs run a vorpal to increase the strength of their heals. Those would probably profit more from the Dread Enchant since the crit severity it gives is higher, and those people don't have to care about crit sev on at wills.
    For a dps focused DC it might also be a good choice.A large chunk of their damage comes from encounters. I suspect that it won't do a lot for fire of the gods though, which is from my experience the biggest source of damage for DCs.
    This is all speculation though since I don't have a Dread enchantment to test. All things considered I doubt that with the incredible price difference to a Vorpal or Plague it is actually worth it to go for the Dread atm.
  • Options
    fizbadfizbad Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    kss1985 said:

we just need to understand if it is triggered by all encounters (not like plaguefire is not triggered by Divine glow)

DG doesn't proc any enchantment.

• Options
    honestly i go it just to change things up a bit. may test eventually but i don't spend much time on preview because it eats into real game time, lol
  • Options
    There sent those enchants to you on preview @kss1985. If you can let us know the results :-)
  • Options
    uuuu nice, i will try to perform some test.. even if i am not an expert in usign those tool.
  • Options
    rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    My first on-paper assessement is...neutral, at least for my setup.
    I have a trans-plaguefire, I don't dps and my heals are quite strong, I don't need to increase anything.
    the comparison is only between the debuff powers and here it's the old discussion plaguefire vs legacy terror. At trascendent level the dread ench grants a +4% debuff and that could be interesting.
    The problem is the cost to have that 4%: too high.
    Finally and waiting the results coming from the tests, I will keep my plaguefire.
    Concerning DPS, Magistrate's Patient/Magistrate's Restraint give me a marginal dps buff which is enough to speed up all the solo content. Definitely cheaper than refining a dread enchantment to transcendent.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • Options
    from some preliminary, very basic, and not done by a professional tester..

the crit severity is nice, it works.. i tested lesser and normal version of the enchant. It applies to most encounters (no DG unfortunately) which limits a bit its use. However this would be an enchant for full heal builds as a debuf one will not get any benefit from the Critical severity and Terror/PF gives a very similar debuf

Could not test perfectly the crit severity on heals, as i had a party for extremely short time on preview. But it appies to BoH e SB.

The debuf for now does not apply, or better does not work, so for now is a "stronger" vorpal, for encounters only.. so for the money it cost is not Worth.

We need to wait till it is fixed, or addressed by developers further.. but if it is fixed, and will work with DG, it will be the enchant to go for DC
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    My righteous/virtuous - buff/debuff/action_point/heal DC will continue to use a perfect terror.
    The main reason is because, normally, the debuffs from identical weapon enchantments do not stack.
    My expectation is that dps classes will be applying the dread enchantment debuff (and also vorpal debuff).
    I prefer to use a terror since terror is rarely used by dps classes.

In regards to heals, my DC has (on character sheet) 34.3% critical chance and I do enough healing, in most pve situations, with healing word + divine glow + break the spirit. Based on my experiences playing a pve DC, the frequency of heals is more important than the healing magnitude (size). Get some recovery. do small heals as frequently as possible. and apply buff/debuff as often as possible.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Early part of mod 6.. I got to like 65% crit rate for my dc.. using faithful and stacked a vorpal (put my trans pf on my cw at that time.. because that is what I had) My crit at this time is like 50%.. maybe 49% .

At some point after the arp bag removal and the damage reduction off mobs.. things stopped hitting for any worthwhile amount, I moved some crit enchants off.. moved my vorp back to my cw.. and put a terror on my DC.. for the same reasons stated above by sangrine. (+ now with drow + people with drowned set + mount bonosues+ lifesteal rings) there is even more healing around then ever before)

I dont use my DC as a primary farmer.. its used to debuff/buff via righteous /hp set+ terror (I still have a trans plague sitting on my paladin as well)+haste.

the primary purpose is to do the HG+3 bts+empowered + 1 bob+divine DG+ AA +hp set+ condemened + bear your sins.

This may change with a GF.. as I might drop haste increase for favor or Ashield.

Thats basically all im good for now as a DC.. now that again healing is a miniscule threat and DG+aseal does everything 90% of the time .. and when in haste set up HW does the rest. Not that being a primary buffing/debuffing DC isnt in all reality one of the most powerful things in the game.

Its just that.. im doing almost the same exact thing I was doing back in mod 1/2.. while having to hit twice as many buttons (woot =P)

• Options
    I finally got around to testing the dread. Here are my results.

Even though I ran 2x23 minute tests and recorded 3K+ hits for each enchant you will notice a disparity in crit % that favored vorpal. I would strike that up to using bonding. Also had a few more hits with the dread so I had to normalize the damage. In the end Vorpal out dpsd Dread by .5%.

Why did I test a debuff rotation?

Because that's what I'm doing in boss fights, and boss fights are all that matter to me (also while I did stand in Hallowed Ground, I did not stand in divine glow as that is not guaranteed in boss fights where I'm focusing on buffing the dps). I would anticipate much better performance from my typical dps rotation of chains, daunting light, and divine glow but that is not what I built myself for.

Which would perform better in game scenarios?

Without hesitation I would say dread. The gap in this scenario is only minor and in game scenarios you will have a higher encounter to at-will ratio thanks to activities eating at your cooldown times like dodging and running from mob to mob.

Where is my bonded pet?

I didn't include him in the data set but he's a total HAMSTER. He averaged about 30% of my dps. Highest hit was 528K with an average efficiency rating of 170.6%.

Suprised? Questions?
  • Options
    Also forgot to note that the dread enchants debuff is fixed in preview but remains broken on live. However it appears to be significantly reworked (funny they buff and nerf it before it ever even works properly).

Your Encounter powers strike with an additional 75% critical Severity and your Critical Strikes now reduce your target's Damage Resistance by 4% Additionally you damage your foe for 25% of weapon damage as Necrotic damage every 1 second for 4 seconds and induce terror in your foe, reducing their defense by 40%. This effect cannot be refreshed until it expires. This effect triggers every 5 seconds.

To;
    Your Encounter powers strike with an additional 75% Critical Severity. Your attacks cause Dread in your target for 4 seconds, dealing 50% of weapon damage as necrotic damage every second and reducing their Defense by 40% for players and decreasing their damage resistance by 4% for monsters. Additionally, your Critical Strikes now reduce your target's Damage Resistance by 4% for 4 seconds. This effect can trigger every 5 seconds.

So they significantly reduced the debuff in PVE but doubled the weapon damage from the necrosis.
  • Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    Oh, that explains it. I did not notice they changed the text. I observed +4% effectiveness but I had 8% in mind. I wonder why everyone says it is fixed. A welcome change I would say.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    i think its fixed because it will actually proc, but it appears noone is recognizing its nerf yet. The extra weapon damage is definitely useless considering how slow we attack
  • Options
    dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    ..."reducing their Defense by 40% for players"

Sounds like it is no more Vorpal+Terror for encounters, just Vorpal (with useless dot).
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• Options
    well its vorpal+ terror for pvp, for pve its vorpal + 15% crit, + 2% debuff, + useless DOT for encounters only
  • Options
    Okay, I tested again with a much larger sample size to get rid of some of the disparities courtesy of having a bonding companion and RNG.

The result is actually not to surprising. Overall you see about a 1% in personal dps while using the dread versus the vorpal with sharp declines of about 15% in damage gained from at-wills, but a 2% increase in debuff plus the additional damage from the Dread. Obviously I was still using my debuff rotation and not a dps rotation because I don't need/want help in clearing trash or doing daily's.

Note that if you remove the dread enchants damage it you actually do more dps with a Vorpal.

Some observations:

In solo play or damage clearing you will have the advantage of a higher encounter to at-will ratio. In single target boss fights (which this was trying to simulate) you do not have time/space between mobs for cooldowns to process. This means dread would outperform vorpal for those situations.

This was a single target boss fight. When running a dps rotation you will have the advantage of higher damage encounters and the use of AOES. Dread will certainly out perform vorpal in these situations.

The majority of our heals come from encounters not at-wills or dailys. So healing should get more advantage from Dread; however, as noted elsewhere, our heals are typically sufficient as is for end game content. Dread shouldn't really impact your performance as a healer overall since it will likely contribute more to over-healing.

• Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    I wonder....what is your opinion on Dread vs. Terror? I am looking at this from the perspective of a Righteous DC who is only interested in PvE - which means needing decent DPS when playing solo, and with a need to maximize buffs and debuffs when in a group.

I'm currently using a Perfect Terror - considering whether to switch that out for a Perfect Dread (best I can afford right now).
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    Well Dread performs same as terror on the debuff side but outperforms terror on dps side. I don't see how you can loose on that. Plus most Right DCs stack a lot of crit for Fire of the Gods.

I've always had vorpal because it helped heal when we were healers. I've kept it even after going righteous because if I wanted to switch back to a healer it will still be useful.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    putzboy78 said:

Well Dread performs same as terror on the debuff side but outperforms terror on dps side. I don't see how you can loose on that. Plus most Right DCs stack a lot of crit for Fire of the Gods.

I've always had vorpal because it helped heal when we were healers. I've kept it even after going righteous because if I wanted to switch back to a healer it will still be useful.

@putzboy78 Dread is a better debuff than terror, I see terror providing a 4% party dps increase, while dread provides an 8% party dps increase, making dread better on both fronts.
  • Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    Overally, Dread is the end game target of righteous DC as it gives more dps/heal and 8% aoe debuff in one hit. However, if someone already had it, it is better to use PF/Terror/Vorpal or even Frost etc as using same enchant is a big waste in team.

<<In this order>>
    Pure Dread > Perf PF > Perf Terror > Pure Vorpal > Lesser Frost > ETC
  • Options

putzboy78 said:

@putzboy78 Dread is a better debuff than terror, I see terror providing a 4% party dps increase, while dread provides an 8% party dps increase, making dread better on both fronts.
    I'm not seeing 8%. Vorpal gives 2% and I'm see 2.5% more efficiency over vorpal which is 4.5%. I can attribute .5% difference to anomaly but 3.5% difference seems a bit far fetched unless theres something wrong with my test. Are you sure the 4% Damage resistence from dread is stacking with crit? I assumed the tooltip is inaccurate based on the testing (and that the tooltip doesn't read well).

I'm only seeing about an 11.5% damage increase on encounters

• Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Please bare in mind, many hr, cw sw are stacking dread now. You will most likely debuff more with terror, as very few use it now.
  • Options
    denny2kdenny2k Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    My dot damage Profit from the Dread or is for dot dps the vorpal the better opinion?

I play my dc with 19k crit so i need to know this.
  • Options
    If you check which DOT your thinking about in the above chart you will see I got about 1% more damage on Fire of the Gods, 16% less damage from Brand of the Sun, and 11% more damage from Divine Glow from the Dread Enchantment. So it depends on which DOT your talking about. Also note the actual crit results in the chart.
  • Options
    denny2kdenny2k Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Forgemaster flame would be fine to known.
  • Options
    crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    null
    This is what I was wondering. Most DPS I run with are using Dread. As an AC Righteous DC I focus more on buff/debuff with heals. I'm not worried about personal DPS all that much. Right now I have Terror, was considering Plaguefire or Dread, but I may stay Terror to avoid duplication on the enchants - assuming Terror debuff still applies on top of a Dread... I don't know the answer to that.
  • Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    I am using greater plague fire on my dc righteous cleric level 65, its for pvp, so how good is dread for dc pvp?
  • Options
    Once again it depends on your playing style. You use astral shield and divine glow for pvp? Those two encounters do not benefit from dread. So you'd be giving up any crits from dailys and at-wills for one encounter that uses dread.. Now if you use the BtS, FF, DG rotation your getting two encounters that use dread. Keeping plague stacked when using Astral Shield and Divine Glow is also very difficult.

Your best bet is to just test on a dumby on preview using the rotation you favor.
This discussion has been closed.