test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update on the Trade Bar Store

Comments

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited February 2016

142 members in my guild when I last checked less than 10 online, and woo hoo Now 15% off enchanted keys you can use to obtain mostly rubbish!.

That is another point, that left me really puzzled. Why would anyone even want to buy more lockbox keys now?
    Unless you have at least some luck with those damn lockboxes... the daily key from ViP is more then enough and still cheaper.
    And with the Coals in the Trade Bar Store, we had at least something to look forward to at some point.

Anyway, my last drop worth mentioning from lockboxes were two Axe Beak while opening 10 lockboxes several months ago.
    Since then it's mostly 1-5 Trade Bars and some blue box/kit/pack/whatever.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • asthazarfasthazarf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User

I don't recall them ever saying there would not be changes to the trade bar store as so many of you are claiming.

You mean this one? http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1205498/regarding-tarmalune-tradebar-rework

Granted, it was a while ago. But no news were given to suggest that that's no longer the case. Well... there were... about 12 (give or take) hours before the actual change?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2016
    asthazarf said:

I don't recall them ever saying there would not be changes to the trade bar store as so many of you are claiming.

You mean this one? http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1205498/regarding-tarmalune-tradebar-rework

Granted, it was a while ago. But no news were given to suggest that that's no longer the case. Well... there were... about 12 (give or take) hours before the actual change?
    Which you're taking out of context as it was in direct response to the assumptions that the prior announcement meant they were being removed or increased in price. Again, that statement was clearly a response to a prior article and forum discussion, taking it out of context as an argument against changes almost 6 months later is just wrong. Even if one wanted to try and use such as an arguement, no where does it say "ever" and it clearly states that it is in relation to a prior announcement.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2016
    metalldjt said:

zebular said:

asthazarf said:

Which you're taking out of context as it was in direct response to the assumptions that the prior announcement meant they were being removed or increased in price. Again, that statement was clearly a response to a prior article and forum discussion, taking it out of context as an argument against changes almost 6 months later is just wrong. Even if one wanted to try and use such as an arguement, no where does it say "ever" and it clearly states that it is in relation to a prior announcement.
    the question was : "Are you goin to be remove or put a different price on coal wards from the tradebar store with the store being reworked?"
    because i am pretty sure i asked this, and that statement it was regarding my question , or it was just a statement, one that didnt say "this message will selfdestruct months later"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2BcEIRIw3o
    Context again: they weren't removed in the tradebar store rework. They were removed some 6 months later in an unrelated change. Regardless of how I feel about them being removed, I feel it is quite silly to use some 1/2 year old statement on a different subject, taking it out of context to fuel some argument against them being removed recently. I feel that is just as silly as them being removed.
    edited February 2016
    What it was a reply to has no relevance. 12 hours is not sufficient time to warn tens of thousands of players of change with so much impact - which will become obvious after those who did get a chance to notice run out of what they stocked, unless a new change happens to counter this.

Fact is, that is the last official statement regarding that specific item. When you put together sentences such as "We reserve the right to change what we want" and "Coalescent Wards will not be leaving the T-Bar store", the only logical assumption one can reach is that whatever change may come will not involve the removal of those wards, unless the 2nd sentence is addressed; preferably within reasonable time frames.

Edit: If you wanted to make that announcement absolutely clear and impossible to link to the present situation, an additional statement along the lines of "This doesn't mean that, in the future, Coalescent Wards might not be removed from the T-Bar store, if necessary." would have been great.

Edit 2: That announcement states that it's addressing a discussion stirred by a different announcement (on Underdark) made 1 day before. I honestly can't find it, if you'd care to link it for me, please.
    asthazarf said:

What it was a reply to has no relevance. 12 hours is not sufficient time to warn tens of thousands of players of change with so much impact - which will become obvious after those who did get a chance to notice run out of what they stocked, unless a new change happens to counter this.

Fact is, that is the last official statement regarding that specific item. When you put together sentences such as "We reserve the right to change what we want" and "Coalescent Wards will not be leaving the T-Bar store", the only logical assumption one can reach is that whatever change may come will not involve the removal of those wards, unless the 2nd sentence is addressed; preferably within reasonable time frames.

Edit: If you wanted to make that announcement absolutely clear and impossible to link to the present situation, an additional statement along the lines of "This doesn't mean that, in the future, Coalescent Wards might not be removed from the T-Bar store, if necessary." would have been great.

Edit 2: That announcement states that it's addressing a discussion stirred by a different announcement (on Underdark) made 1 day before. I honestly can't find it, if you'd care to link it for me, please.

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Does whoever is in charge of NWO really want to push the players to the point, where they draw the conclusion, that it is better to not spend any more money, since anything can change to the disfavor of the player from one update to another?

Because after all, that would be the logical conclusion here.
    And no, i'm not joking.

At this point it is not about the Trade Bars Store anymore, it is about trust.
    When we players can't trust whoever is in charge of NWO anymore, when we have to worry about every future update, why should we continue to spend money here?
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
    edited February 2016
    "7. Game Updates

7.1 When we update or “patch” any of our Games, we may utilize a patch routine to verify whether the most recent version of the client software is installed on your computer. If not, the most recent version may automatically be uploaded to your computer, and you hereby consent to, and waive any further notice of, such upload."

"26. Disciplinary Action / Account & Service Termination

26.1 FOR ANY REASON WE MAY SUSPEND, TERMINATE, MODIFY, BLOCK ACCESS TO OR DELETE THE SERVICE OR ANY ACCOUNT OR PART THEREOF, BY GIVING YOU NOTICE OF SUCH WITHIN THE TIME PERIOD SPECIFIED WHEN YOU CREATED AN ACCOUNT OR JOINED A SERVICE, OR IF NO SUCH TIME PERIOD WAS SPECIFIED, THEN WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS OF THE DATE SUCH NOTICE IS PROVIDED TO YOU BY EMAIL OR IS POSTED ON THE WEBSITE OR INTERACTIVE AREA BY US."

(edit: not sure if the "or part thereof" refers to the account or the service; if it's the account, this has no value)
    (edit 2: scrape the second quote; the intention of the change isn't "Disciplinary Action / Account & Service Termination")

This is from the Terms at the bottom of this forum. It says nothing about "no obligation to provide updates".
  • l0th4ri0l0th4ri0 Member Posts: 589 Arc User
    Seems like the changes were made to address this "problem": too many players making it to 70 and beyond and were still viable without spending enough money. If the idea was to get rid of level 70 players (and alts) who were ftp and not ready to spend real hard cash to stay in this, then mission accomplished, I would guess.

You guys see this, right? What other possible explanation is there? These guys aren't moustache-twiddling villains bent on HAMSTER you over, they're a bunch of dudes trying to manage servers with limited bandwidth and resources. If there's too many 70s draining the servers, then you gotta do something about it.

Now don't get me wrong... I am NOT in favor of what they did to the VIP players, and there is no way in HELL I am ever giving another penny to cryptic for anything ever again. But ppl saying this is fraud and talking about lawsuits is goofy. They decided to sacrifice the cheap 70s. They made a design decision. It's not like they held a meeting where conspirators in black cloaks all got together and planned out how they would lie to us all while cackling with evil glee.
  • darwinsradiodarwinsradio Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    How is that a valid argument when you can level a PC from 0 to almost 70 in one double XP weekend??? Part of the problem is that there is no investment in leveling your character. This game is built entirely around the Refinement mechanic, which in my opinion is the worst part of the game. It doesn't matter the level of the characters in the game.

They need to remove refinement entirely Have appropriate level enhancements drop from appropriate leveled content. Oh of you want your players to buy something make actual content. Make new dungeons make new areas to explore. Take the Heroic encounters and toss them out the window, they bore the HAMSTER out of most of us.

Don't make us pay money to enhance our gear to meet an item level to do content. Make us pay money to buy cool content, and enhance the appearance of our PC's with cosmetic gear.
  • l0th4ri0l0th4ri0 Member Posts: 589 Arc User

How is that a valid argument when you can level a PC from 0 to almost 70 in one double XP weekend???

Yup. And then you stall at 70 until you pay up. Either way (pay money or quit) you will be supporting the company or getting out of their way. The trick for them is to convert ppl who wouldn't normally pay into ppl that WILL. Right now, they still have some content to recreate before they can say they are thinking of endgame. It's early still, but I think they are trying to jazz up the leveling process to the point that ppl will assume that endgame is more of the same. Which it might very well be by mod 12 or 13... or 20. Maybe never.
  • d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    Funny how the mods wheel out nonsense to defend this. I understand it's their job to defend even the most grievous of misdeeds when perpetrated by the ones they work for (*cough* volunteer for) but seriously there is no defense for this. The statement that has been produced as evidence of misdeeds where the tarmalune rework would not negatively affect wards in the t-bar shop is VALID. Do you not understand why? Because the only reason given by cryptic is that they didn't want "confusion" by having these items in both the cash shop as well as the T-Bar store.

Guess what? When that statement was made, the items existed in both places as they always have so by stating they would not be negatively affected without a disclaimer stating that at some point in the future this might change, for whatever reason, and then selling both keys and VIP based on the implied reason that part of the value of said services were the T-bar available wards, they have fundamentally changed the value of said previously sold services without attempt at value remediation (such as was done for the xbox folks).

This is a deceitful business practice and a company that engages in such practices opens itself to whatever it's customers feel is right to retrieve said lost value as well as public shaming of said company through the FTC and the BBB as well as other entities in customer's home countries.

So zeb, ambi and the others, you can defend them if you want to but you become the sacrificial lamb the company itself is wanting you to be when you really don't need to. Don't be the face of the misdeeds. You can state facts such as the chargeback stuff and be kept blameless but don't step into the mire of defending what was done here. Speaking of that weren't there more mods until recently?
  • sifudragonussifudragonus Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    This is all about falling Zen sales. If it had been about confusion between the stores you would have removed all the items that can be found in both places. It is your game Cryptic, you are completely in the right to make the changes you want per the EULA. But don't lie about it, just tell the truth and let the player base deal with it how they will. The BS excuses just incite the rage you are seeing now.

I for one will no longer be paying for the VIP with my money. I will try to grind enough AD to buy it through transfer. I just don't see the point in paying anymore. I was willing to pay to shorten the time it took me to level my enchantments to 12 but now that the coalescent wards are gone there isn't a true need for it.
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Im going to take the STO approach to the coal-wards issue, grind the ADs till i have enough then trade it for zen and buy a coal ward, wash rinse repeat.

In short i wont have to pay to level my gear just work harder for it oh and crypitc? i was going to buy several months worth the VIP just to make my job easier, you guys actually saved me money because i wont be buying VIP i see no reason to have it , since easier coal-wards was a major selling point for me.
    Kirk eyes a young female romulan put on her EV suit then her head dissapears.

Kirk : My god bones...her head is gone :eek:

Mccoy : DAMNIT JIM!! im a doctor not a game developer
  • nimandiirnimandiir Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    zebular said:

asthazarf said:

LOL, you are obfuscating BIG TIME.

yetweallfalldown clearly stated "Coalescent Wards WILL NOT be leaving the stores and pricing WILL NOT increase."

That right there is a PROMISE! It doesn't matter if it was a response to question, it doesn't matter if it was 6 months ago. That is an EMPHATIC statement that they are here too stay.

I am sick and tierd of this carp, every few months the Marketing Department unilaterally decides to screw with us players and it is NEVER for our benefit.

I have spent a lot of money on this game because I LOVE this game. But like any relationship where I am being treated like I must, for my health. Step away...

PLEASE STOP with the dirty underhanded tricks, we are not idiots! We know why these things are done because you arent the first game company to do them...
  • eldeskaleldeskal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 214 Arc User
    messahla said:

grind the ADs till i have enough then trade it for zen and buy a coal ward

I think that's the most puzzling part of trying to fix the economy: ZAX has to exist, or most of the reason to buy Zen disappears. But the gold-sellers earn so much more AD than any normal player, they are the only ones who can buy things like coalescent wards. Then they turn around an sell them for 10% of the official price.

I know Cryptic's anti-gold-seller strategy is to remove the exploitable interfaces, rather than remove the gold-sellers...but when the bots are just running normal content and selling normal items---making their AD using massive numbers of accounts, rather than high-return exploits, how can Cryptic's strategy possibly work? In this case the strategy reduces to "remove all value from running any content."

The bots will happily run boring content for minimal rewards---and will do it 24/7/365. We, the human players, will find it tedious and boring, and will eventually decide to abandon our several-years investment in our characters. I know I'm rapidly burning through my ability to perceive value in my character. Hope mod-9 can change this.
    edited February 2016
    zebular said:

Which you're taking out of context

nimandiir said:

That right there is a PROMISE!

Both of these positions have both merit and issues. Implying that the other author is being foolish looks ridiculous to the rest of us reading with more objectivity. For example, here's how I see it:

Pro-zebular: the direct quote was with respect to the tradebar-rework, asked during its planning phase; it was accurate for the intended change---the wards remained, and prices were in fact lowered.
    Pro-nimandiir: the intent of the question being answered was to determine the future availability of wards.
    Con-zebular: the devs have said that removing the wards was caused by lowering of prices during the rework--hence it is directly related to the discussion 6 months ago.
    Con-nimandiir: it is likely that the devs did not intend the price change to tank their economy, and hence their revenue, so while the removal is their fault, and is directly related to the cited quotation, it was believably an 'unanticipated consequence' rather than a planned contrivance.

Believe me, when revenue falls, the corporate guys will take decisions out of your hands fast. I'm here waiting to see what the response will be when half of the players choose not to renew their VIP.
  • nimandiirnimandiir Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    eldeskal said:

zebular said:

Which you're taking out of context

nimandiir said:

That right there is a PROMISE!

Both of these positions have both merit and issues. Implying that the other author is being foolish looks ridiculous to the rest of us reading with more objectivity. For example, here's how I see it:

Pro-zebular: the direct quote was with respect to the tradebar-rework, asked during its planning phase; it was accurate for the intended change---the wards remained, and prices were in fact lowered.
    Pro-nimandiir: the intent of the question being answered was to determine the future availability of wards.
    Con-zebular: the devs have said that removing the wards was caused by lowering of prices during the rework--hence it is directly related to the discussion 6 months ago.
    Con-nimandiir: it is likely that the devs did not intend the price change to tank their economy, and hence their revenue, so while the removal is their fault, and is directly related to the cited quotation, it was believably an 'unanticipated consequence' rather than a planned contrivance.

Believe me, when revenue falls, the corporate guys will take decisions out of your hands fast. I'm here waiting to see what the response will be when half of the players choose not to renew their VIP.
    Well said, I hadn't thought of it like that.

I'm with you, I think they are fast going to realize how big of a mistake this is. Every one of my guild members are not pleased (understatment) and the channel we are a part of is in downright flames.

I'm gonna grab my popcorn and see how this plays out...

Edit: As an aside, It seems I may actually save some money for a while ;)
    nimandiir said:

my guild members are not pleased (understatment)

Mine's about 50/50. The 50% who don't care either
    1. farm enough that VIP is profitable even without tradebars---they make enough AD to buy their VIP every mongth, and have enough left over to get coalescent wards without spending money; or
    2. have spent hundreds of real dollars upgrading the SH, so $10 for a coal ward is no big deal.

The people who are (and should be) angriest are the causal players who used money to buy VIP as a feasible path to upgrade equipment.

Per the numerous posts on the ToS, they had no real guarantees about the availability of wards, but in the same vein, Microsoft's EULA disclaims all liability if their OS deletes all of a user's files...but if they periodically chose to do it to 'avoid confusion', users would still be pissed.
    edited February 2016

Funny how the mods wheel out nonsense to defend this. I understand it's their job to defend even the most grievous of misdeeds when perpetrated by the ones they work for (*cough* volunteer for) but seriously there is no defense for this. The statement that has been produced as evidence of misdeeds where the tarmalune rework would not negatively affect wards in the t-bar shop is VALID. Do you not understand why? Because the only reason given by cryptic is that they didn't want "confusion" by having these items in both the cash shop as well as the T-Bar store.

Guess what? When that statement was made, the items existed in both places as they always have so by stating they would not be negatively affected without a disclaimer stating that at some point in the future this might change, for whatever reason, and then selling both keys and VIP based on the implied reason that part of the value of said services were the T-bar available wards, they have fundamentally changed the value of said previously sold services without attempt at value remediation (such as was done for the xbox folks).

This is a deceitful business practice and a company that engages in such practices opens itself to whatever it's customers feel is right to retrieve said lost value as well as public shaming of said company through the FTC and the BBB as well as other entities in customer's home countries.

So zeb, ambi and the others, you can defend them if you want to but you become the sacrificial lamb the company itself is wanting you to be when you really don't need to. Don't be the face of the misdeeds. You can state facts such as the chargeback stuff and be kept blameless but don't step into the mire of defending what was done here. Speaking of that weren't there more mods until recently?
    I'm not defending them, I'm just showing how there was never a permanent statement of how something will be and per the EULA of the game itself, there can never be such, as everything is subject to change at any given time without notice. Nothing can ever be a promise of change or no change there-of in this MMO or any MMO, as all MMO's have the same type of underwriting clause. It is folly to even assume something can never or will never change in an MMO. As well, I was also simply pointing out the fallacy of using a 6-month old quote as proof of wrong-doing when said quote pertained to a development plan from 6 months ago and was a direct response to player questions on a specific article the day prior to that statement.

If you think I am defending the removal of wards from the Trade Bar Store, you are wrong and must have missed my post quoted below where I outright said that I don't agree with the change and find it silly. All I am defending is against false accusations, which I'd do for anyone. To be perfectly clear, I do not agree that Wards should not be available in the Trade Bar Store. Never-the-less, it has happened and I shall accept it for it doesn't really impact me. I don't open Locked Boxes for Trade Bars, they're just bonus things to buy more items.
    zebular said:

metalldjt said:

zebular said:

asthazarf said:

the question was : "Are you goin to be remove or put a different price on coal wards from the tradebar store with the store being reworked?"
    because i am pretty sure i asked this, and that statement it was regarding my question , or it was just a statement, one that didnt say "this message will selfdestruct months later"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2BcEIRIw3o
    Context again: they weren't removed in the tradebar store rework. They were removed some 6 months later in an unrelated change. Regardless of how I feel about them being removed, I feel it is quite silly to use some 1/2 year old statement on a different subject, taking it out of context to fuel some argument against them being removed recently. I feel that is just as silly as them being removed.
    Also, I posted in another thread the following.
    zebular said:

I rarely spent trade bars on wards anyway and considering I desired VIP (at R12 now) for all the perks combined, yes I do still feel it is worth it. Especially when just one of the Perks allows me to open one locked box of my choice (I have hundreds/thousands of each type stored) for free per day and get not only tradebars but chances to win all sorts of other goodies, yeah... still worth it. I still have more Coal Wards stored in my bank than I need, getting the majority of them from Wondrous Boxes during invocation.

This discussion has been closed.