test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Elven Battle removes Chill stacks

gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
Elven Battle removes Chill stacks.

The overlooked mistake here is that chill stacks, has two purposes. Control and Damage for a Control Wizard. And I think the devs did not think of that when they made the Elven Battle. Without this information, the Elven Battle may work as intendent. But when you have the facts Im sure its NOT WAI.

Elven battle is suppose to reduce control effects. With this "new" information, that it does not only reduce control but also damage for some classes like CWs, the WAI status has to change and it needs to be fixed so that Elven Battle does not interfere with a CWs damage.

Chill stacks affects feats like chilling presence, class mechanism like smolder and encounters like CoI.
CoI:
Turn target enemy into a conduit for an icy storm, dealing damage to them and enemies around them for a short period.
Damage is increased by 5% for every stack of Chill, and those effects are constantly refreshed.

Spell Mastery: Now adds a Chill effect to targets hit by Conduit of Ice, and increases the size of the area effect.

Smolder
Many of the Master of Flame Paragon powers add Smolder to your target which deals damage over time. If the target is affected by Chill, it gains a Rimefire aspect, allowing its duration to be refreshed by Chill effects.

Chilling presence
Increases the damage you deal by 2% for each stack of Chill on your target. This damage bonus is doubled on Frozen targets.

Another argument is that we have many encounters that adds chill stacks. You need to reach 6 stacks to freeze a target. The problem here is that because Elven Battle removes the actual chill stacks really fast, you cant FREEZE anyone because you have a really hard time to reach those 6 stacks. So Elven battle does NOT reduce the effect of freeze, its making the targets immun to that control power.

And if we cant freeze targets, that will effect even more feats that we have. Like:
Frigid Winds
Foes who have been Frozen take 2/4/6/8/10% more Damage from all sources.

Shatter Strike
When you freeze a target they are afflicted by Shattered for 10 seconds. Shattered foes have a chance when taking damage to be stunned for 5 seconds (1 second on players) and take up to 5% of their Max HP in damage (max 300% weapon damage). This effect consumes Shatter. Additionally, your control powers deal 100% of your weapon damage against control immune targets. Additionally, Chill lasts 2.5 seconds longer.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

Post edited by gankdalf#8991 on

Comments

• gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    @strumslinger @terramak Maybe this could go on your radar since its kinda of a biggie..

• foxxy#4211 foxxy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 563 Arc User
    In my opinion the enchantment is WAI. The effect removes SLOW, chill is a slow; therefore it will remove the status causing the control effect. nothing to be fixed.

In my opinion the enchantment is WAI. The effect removes SLOW, chill is a slow; therefore it will remove the status causing the control effect. nothing to be fixed.

No. Chill slows. But chill does more than that. Chill stacks is the base of any CW builds. Its a big portion of our damage since our feats and class features damage is based on the stacks.

Also chill stacks freeze but if the stacks are removed they cant actually freeze. The Elven battle is suppose to reduce the freeze effect, not remove the whole freeze.

No. Chill slows. But chill does more than that. Chill stacks is the base of any CW builds. Its a big portion of our damage since our feats and class features damage is based on the stacks.

Also chill stacks freeze but if the stacks are removed they cant actually freeze. The Elven battle is suppose to reduce the freeze effect, not remove the whole freeze.
    Lol, that a class' damage is based on status effect has nothing to do with the effect of an enchantment. U won't be able to freeze cause chill's duration aka (slow duration) is reduced, which is the exact point of elven battle. If elven battle hurts ur damage, then change ur rotation or switch to ranger class. Ranger's trapper path deals damage to control immune targets.

Elven is meant to reduce duration of control effects: stuns(freeze), slows (chill), immobilize. Elven is doing its purpose, and it is not its fault that someone's damage is based on keeping stacks of "slow". Just change ur rotation, because the enchatment is WAI.
    edited January 2016

Lol, that a class' damage is based on status effect has nothing to do with the effect of an enchantment. U won't be able to freeze cause chill's duration aka (slow duration) is reduced, which is the exact point of elven battle. If elven battle hurts ur damage, then change ur rotation or switch to ranger class. Ranger's trapper path deals damage to control immune targets.

Elven is meant to reduce duration of control effects: stuns(freeze), slows (chill), immobilize. Elven is doing its purpose, and it is not its fault that someone's damage is based on keeping stacks of "slow". Just change ur rotation, because the enchatment is WAI.
    Youre not getting it. Chill stacks is not the effect, it causes the effect. The chill stacks is the core mechanism for a CW, you cant "switch" rotation. Chilling presence gives 8% damage PER stack up to 6 stacks. Thats 48% damage buff we lose on everyone that uses Elven.. And DOUBLE that when something is frozen. So we cant just "switch" it out. Also if chill stacks are removed faster than we can apply it, we cant EVER freeze the player wich means NO control for a CONTROL wizard.

If one chill stack causes 5% (just made up the number) slow on a player, then the Elven battle should reduce the slow on those 5%. Not removing the stack all together. If freeze last for 5 seconds, then the Elven Battle should reduce the TIME of a freeze, not the whole freeze.

As a firemage you need chillstacks to apply Smolder which again is the core mechanism for a fire mage. We have multple feats in all trees that is affected by chill stacks.

• ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User

This shows how little people often understand about mechanics of classes. Consider a CW's chill stacks like stacks of Destroyer for GWF. Without stacks the GWFs damage is terrible, it's only once they begin to build stacks that their damage is strong, just like a GF and reckless attacker, just like Arcane stacks as well for CW.

I'm always amazed how many people don't understand mechanics and then try to post trolly comments on threads further showing their lack of understanding.
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

edited January 2016
    I wonder if u @ejziponken have any problem fighting negation; soulforge, or any other armor enchantment user. U dont, right? sweet, because on them u can PERFECTLY stack chills, furthermore freeze ur target; so u have your feature damage bonus. But then, as you cannot do the same with elven users, u come here asking for a "nerf", because it is basically that. When u ask to (nerf) duration or change the effect this enchantment has on chill, u are being selfish for ur own class purpose.
    There is a reason for an enchantment, and each build of each class should fit and find the perfect build that counters all of them.
    @tolkienbuff Im always amazed by how many people ask for nerfs for own selfish purposes. Probably wizard won't deal much damage against elven users, but the OP is asking to tone down elven effects to pair them/ it with other not-good armor enchantments.

PS @ejziponken I never said chill is the effect, I perfectly said chill is the status that causes the slow effect, therefore elven battle will reduce the duration of the status that causes the effect... e.e... :|:o:/ . elven is doing its job. and i won't discuss my point anymore, let devs clear it up and i will accept my mistake if that were the case.
    edited January 2016

I wonder if u @ejziponken have any problem fighting negation; soulforge, or any other armor enchantment user. U dont, right? sweet, because on them u can PERFECTLY stack chills, furthermore freeze ur target; so u have your feature damage bonus. But then, as you cannot do the same with elven users, u come here asking for a "nerf", because it is basically that. When u ask to (nerf) duration or change the effect this enchantment has on chill, u are being selfish for ur own class purpose.
    There is a reason for an enchantment, and each build of each class should fit and find the perfect build that counters all of them.
    @tolkienbuff Im always amazed by how many people ask for nerfs for own selfish purposes. Probably wizard won't deal much damage against elven users, but the OP is asking to tone down elven effects to pair them/ it with other not-good armor enchantments.

PS @ejziponken I never said chill is the effect, I perfectly said chill is the status that causes the slow effect, therefore elven battle will reduce the duration of the status that causes the effect... e.e... :|:o:/ . elven is doing its job. and i won't discuss my point anymore, let devs clear it up and i will accept my mistake if that were the case.

Not asking for a nerf. Im asking for a fix regarding the chill stacks and Evlen. Big difference. Im not asking anyone to nerf the 80% reduction of slows etc. Im asking them to fix so the Elven dont remove the stacks, because removing them is not a 80% reduction, its 100%. You are supposed to be RESISTANT to slows/freeze, not immune.

edited January 2016

I still don't think you're grasping that this enchant is basically negating the damage of one specific class through an unintentional side effect. It's one thing to stop the chill stacks from slowing, which is the intended effect, it's another thing entirely to make damage stacks fall off. It would be like if elven prevented GWF from building Desstroyer stacks or GF from build Reckless stacks or HR building serpent's bite stacks. The main difference is that because the enchant works on CC effects it is also negating damage, which I'm quite sure is unintended.

The OP is obviously not asking for a nerf to the enchant, he's asking for it to work properly. If he asked for the CC reduction to be lessened that would be asking for a nerf to the enchants intended effects. You are simply mistaken in understanding what the difference is here. Hope this clears it up.

imgur pics don't work

• kisakeekisakee Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    Chill itself doesn't deal any damage, that's just because of Chilling Prescence. So the basic idea of it is freezeing your target and so it's cause and effect at the same time.
    Conclusion: Removing stacks of Chill is absolutely correct / WAI
    r9jtqurw.jpg

kisakee said:

Chill itself doesn't deal any damage, that's just because of Chilling Prescence. So the basic idea of it is freezeing your target and so it's cause and effect at the same time.

This is a simple concept, why is this being made so difficult. You have to compare chilling presence to damage feats from other classes. If a gwf doesn't use the destroyer passive his damage is decreased massively. If a GF doesn't use combat superiority his damage is decreased massively etc. etc. If a CW doesn't use chilling presence his damage is decreased by 51% at 6 stacks of chill which is then doubled if the target is frozen (The math is 8% per stack at rank 4 of chilling presence + .5% with offhand feat x 6 stacks x 2 if frozen).

The elven battle enchantment is supposed to mitigate cc effects, i.e. the slow or freeze associated with chill stacks. However, it is completely not intended to take away damage, it says nothing on the enchantment about decreasing damage dealt by chilling presence. IT IS NOT WAI. By default you won't take double damage from Chilling presence because you will never "freeze". However you should not be able to avoid the damaging effects of chill stacks from an enchantment only made to resist CC. This is simple and common sensical.

If you want to avoid damage get fey, if you want to avoid cc get elven, you shouldn't get the best of both worlds against 1 class.

imgur pics don't work

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User

kisakee said:

This is a simple concept, why is this being made so difficult. You have to compare chilling presence to damage feats from other classes. If a gwf doesn't use the destroyer passive his damage is decreased massively. If a GF doesn't use combat superiority his damage is decreased massively etc. etc. If a CW doesn't use chilling presence his damage is decreased by 51% at 6 stacks of chill which is then doubled if the target is frozen (The math is 8% per stack at rank 4 of chilling presence + .5% with offhand feat x 6 stacks x 2 if frozen).

The elven battle enchantment is supposed to mitigate cc effects, i.e. the slow or freeze associated with chill stacks. However, it is completely not intended to take away damage, it says nothing on the enchantment about decreasing damage dealt by chilling presence. IT IS NOT WAI. By default you won't take double damage from Chilling presence because you will never "freeze". However you should not be able to avoid the damaging effects of chill stacks from an enchantment only made to resist CC. This is simple and common sensical.

If you want to avoid damage get fey, if you want to avoid cc get elven, you shouldn't get the best of both worlds against 1 class.
    according to your reasoning, elven battle reducing hr damage via thorned roots is a bug too
    edited February 2016
    rayrdan said:

kisakee said:

according to your reasoning, elven battle reducing hr damage via thorned roots is a bug too
    What damage are you seeing against a character using an elven battle enchantment now that they fixed the thorned roots damage loop bug?

I would also add that if there is indeed an issue with Thorned roots vs. elven, this is not actually the place to discuss it as it detracts from the OPs point. However for the sake of discussion I would also add that there are no "stacks" of Thorned roots, it either procs 200% weapon damage dot for the duration of the root or it deals flat 250% of your weapon damage against CC immune targets. This is not the same argument as stacks falling off. It's more comparable to the "Serpent's Bite" feat if stacks were affected by elven for fair discussion.

imgur pics don't work

edited February 2016
    the number of ticks is reduced below the number one would normally expect.
    rayrdan said:

the number of ticks is reduced below the number one would normally expect.

Because the root lasts less time correct? You're trying to make the point that the CC being lessened also lessens your DPS against targets with Elven? The main issue, while I see where you're coming from, is that the damage is directly associated with the roots, not stacks.

Your DPS comes in part from this feat but it's only decreasing the amount of times it procs. It's not causing you to lose damage stacks. If you slotted serpent's bite you would retain all the damage stacks. However Your whole trapper setup is based around continuous CC, not DPS if you're using that playstyle. The root tick is minimal anyway. The big problem for the CW is that most of the damage they do is built around stacks. If they can't build those then they are being gimped. tbh, I think the HR needs an entire rework anyway because they have been stuck in a role for PVP of CC only.

imgur pics don't work

@tolkienbuff

Again: Chilling Presence is just an extra damage. Removing it stacks doesn't mean do reduce your damage, it just prevends you to deal more damage than regular. And you can't compare it with mechanics of other classes, cause it's working different.

The usage of CP isn't the only way to play btw, it's just one option. And it's a CC in basic, so again Elfen Battle is WAI. You just want to make it a 'bug' which requires a 'fix', cauce it's your main playstyle. But you're wrong.
    r9jtqurw.jpg

kisakee said:

@tolkienbuff

Again: Chilling Presence is just an extra damage. Removing it stacks doesn't mean do reduce your damage, it just prevends you to deal more damage than regular. And you can't compare it with mechanics of other classes, cause it's working different.

The usage of CP isn't the only way to play btw, it's just one option. And it's a CC in basic, so again Elfen Battle is WAI. You just want to make it a 'bug' which requires a 'fix', cauce it's your main playstyle. But you're wrong.

You, sir, have no idea what you're talking about. I have made the case as plain as possible but you can't seem to grasp it. Perhaps it's the language barrier as I can tell English is not your primary language.

However, CW is not my main class, I don't have one. There is no "bug" I hope to make. You are not understanding the concepts here as evidenced by your redundant argument that is not based on actual class and passive mechanics. You simply don't see the difference between what we're saying and what you keep arguing.

Last time I'll reply to you as you can't seem to understand that Elven battle enchantment is not meant to negate Chilling presence damage stacks and it is doing so, it is entirely meant only to mitigate the CC of chilling presence not the associated feated damage stacks. If you can't understand that then there is nothing else anyone can say sir.

imgur pics don't work

@strumslinger @terramak @asterdahl

Anyone of you can say something about this topic?

You, sir, are not able to understand that Chill is not a Chilling Prescence damage stack at first, but just a regular CC stack which is upgraded to deal more damage. It's no meant to deal extra damage in basic as itself, that's just what you don't want to have to be true. It's WAI being removed by Elven Battle, sir.

And there's no language barrier at all. I know what you mean, but i guess you're wrong.
    r9jtqurw.jpg

edited February 2016
    I responded and then thought better of it. I'll leave it to the devs to decide.

imgur pics don't work

• bluangelukbluangeluk Member Posts: 67 Arc User

The biggest problem with this thread, is the spelling and grammar. Some of the writing is horrible.

Anyway.. I just stopped by to troll my fellow guild mates. And to remind them, not to anger people with their superior game knowledge. Bye guys!
    "Here's a circle... I'm not sure it's a real circle, so don't trust it too much!" Idril (AoGlyph)
    9abea38.png
    edited February 2016
    You both have good arguments. And you are both right.

The overlooked mistake here is that chill stacks, has two purposes. Control and Damage. And I think the devs did not think of that when they made the Elven Battle. You could be right, without this information the Elven Battle may work as intendent. But with this information Im sure its NOT working as intendent.

Elven battle is suppose to reduce control effects. With this "new" information, that it does not only reduce control but also damage for some classes like Control Wizards, the WAI status has to change and they need to fix so that Elven Battle does not interfere with a CWs damage.

Also Chill stacks does not only affect one feat. It affects encounters too.
    CoI for example:
    Turn target enemy into a conduit for an icy storm, dealing damage to them and enemies around them for a short period.
    Damage is increased by 5% for every stack of Chill, and those effects are constantly refreshed.

Spell Mastery: Now adds a Chill effect to targets hit by Conduit of Ice, and increases the size of the area effect.
    Other feats etc were we losing damage:

Masterful Arcane Theft
    Steal Time and Ray of Enfeeblement deal 3/6/9/12/15% more damage to targets afflicted with Chill and an additional 1.2/2.4/3.6/4.8/6% for each stack of Arcane Mastery on you.

Smolder
    Many of the Master of Flame Paragon powers add Smolder to your target which deals damage over time. If the target is affected by Chill, it gains a Rimefire aspect, allowing its duration to be refreshed by Chill effects.

Chilling presence
    Increases the damage you deal by 2% for each stack of Chill on your target. This damage bonus is doubled on Frozen targets.

But there is one other argument too. We have many encounters that adds chill stacks. You need to reach 6 stacks to freeze a target. The problem here is that because Elven Battle removes the actual chill stacks, you cant FREEZE anyone because you have a really hard time to reach those 6 stacks. So Elven battle does NOT reduce the effect of freeze, its making the targets immun to that control power.

And if we cant freeze targets, that will effect even more feats that we have. Like:
    Frigid Winds
    Foes who have been Frozen take 2/4/6/8/10% more Damage from all sources.

Shatter Strike
    When you freeze a target they are afflicted by Shattered for 10 seconds. Shattered foes have a chance when taking damage to be stunned for 5 seconds (1 second on players) and take up to 5% of their Max HP in damage (max 300% weapon damage). This effect consumes Shatter. Additionally, your control powers deal 100% of your weapon damage against control immune targets. Additionally, Chill lasts 2.5 seconds longer.

i am on this dude side btw, chill is primary THE way to CC which just for the effect of one of your possible class feature choices can become additional damage.
    if the control is denied, so its the additional effect hence slotting chilling presence is not anymore the optimal choice.

while asking for hr's thorned roots i was trying to propose another example.
    The CC is reduced, the roots last less, the damage from thorned roots is halved or even less.

The enchantment itself is BS but it does exactly what is supposed to do.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    You can stack chill on a control-immune boss in PvE even though you can't freeze it, but some critters do throw off chill stacks awfully quickly, so perhaps that too is a side effect of massively decreased control duration, and a way in which CW class mechanics are not balanced very well with the current state of the game?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia

You can stack chill on a control-immune boss in PvE even though you can't freeze it, but some critters do throw off chill stacks awfully quickly, so perhaps that too is a side effect of massively decreased control duration, and a way in which CW class mechanics are not balanced very well with the current state of the game?

That would be a totally separate issue I think. Unless they are wearing Elven Battle..

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I think they're related issues because Elven Battle is supposed to function by decreasing control duration. Arguments that CWs lack a PvE role outside of damage are based on dramatically decreased control duration on high-end mobs. Not being able to build chill stacks on some types of monsters isn't necessarily unrelated if chill stacks are treated as a control effect in some cases and removed by abilities that decrease the duration of control effects.

Chill stacks are not treated as a control effect for purposes of control *immunity* because you can build them on a boss that is actually immune. That isn't consistent with decreased control duration shedding them faster. You see what I mean?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    If anything, the Elven Battle should reduce the amount of time you're FROZEN. (Once 7 stacks(6+) is hit.)

A CW should be able to freeze someone with a trans elven battle enchant, even if its only for 0.2 seconds or smth.
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.

If anything, the Elven Battle should reduce the amount of time you're FROZEN. (Once 7 stacks(6+) is hit.)

A CW should be able to freeze someone with a trans elven battle enchant, even if its only for 0.2 seconds or smth.

Exactly.