test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developers For Nothing, and Content For Free

tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
edited October 2016 in The Foundry
... I want my, I want my, I want my Foundr-y.

(This was originally published in a Module 9 feedback forum)

Not Enough Content, Too Much Grind

Last module introduced a highly boring, repetitive grind for motes. The basic idea of re-incentivising existing HE's was nice, but then you had to run the same HE over, and over, and over. (I know technically there were several to choose from, but that's not how things turned out practically for most players).

What if Cryptic (edit: in Module 9) had worked with a few established Foundry authors to develop UGC themed to that module, and allowed say 2-5 "Module Featured" Foundries per mote type to award said mote, once per foundry per player per day? Working with established authors eliminates almost all risk of exploitative foundries while adding a richness and depth to the quest to obtain motes. For each new module, currency specific to the module could be earned in a reasonably limited manner through foundry quests rather than the main campaign for players that wish to do so.

The development team is starting to do some really cool things. I'm more excited about the game than I have been in a long time. However, the team's resources are limited. R.A. Salvatore said that the Foundry is perhaps the most important part of Neverwinter, and I agree.

Suggestion

Take the opportunity with Module 9 to integrate the Foundry in a meaningful way. Work with the most prolific, well-received Foundry authors now to work out a plan.

Refuting Objections

"But that's not fair! Why do they get to do that and not me?" Well, why shouldn't players that have invested dozens to perhaps hundreds of hours authoring in the foundry not be afforded a special status? They have made a significant commitment to learn their craft (foundry authoring), and to providing mostly-unrewarded enjoyment to their fellow players. They have performed selfless, honorable and honest service to the community. A uniform standard should be applied to selecting players for such a program (e.g. no exploitative content published, certain number of total stars). Certainly PWE should review and have final say over any foundries published with these special benefits.

"People that create content tied to unreleased intellectual property have to be employees of Cryptic." (I have heard this from time to time since open beta as a rumor or perhaps urban legend. Not sure if there's any truth to it.) If there are any particular corporate restrictions preventing this arrangement, I for one would be happy to become an official contractor to Cryptic. I would develop a foundry quest for a fixed-price of $1. I also accept payment in Zen or super-cool in-game titles. I would imagine quite a few other foundry authors would be open to a similar arrangement. Then again, if this is really urban legend, I'm glad to continue developing Foundry content simply for the community to enjoy. I'm sure many others are, too.
Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
Post edited by tripsofthrymr on

Comments

• matiagronxmatiagronx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 251 Arc User
    That is the only thing that could save this game, as Cryptic managed to lose all good authors, and currently has NO content authors AT ALL. There are so many foundry authors who actually LOVE authoring in the DnD universe. This is what is missing from game, content with spirit. The authors that created the initial dungeons and a couple of campaigns are no longer working here and this is evident from the uninspired content that is coming out since then. Foundry was one of the MAIN reasons this game had a huge success at launch, it gave people a smell of true DnD RPG gaming. But somehow you guys DESTROYED it along with almost everything else that mattered, like TRUE Dungeons and unbound Loots droping from friggin bosses that raised the thrill of running dungeons. This sterile "everything is bound" approach slowly made the game a single player grind with absolutely no thrills at all.

Why
    Noone
    Listens?
  • bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    I'd like to offer this idea that I have been kicking around~ It's not fully formed yet so bear with me.

Often when you're leveling a character you have some time to fill in between levels or main story quest line areas. I know several times I was looking for XP to progress when leveling alts. There used to be a quest from Rhix for foundries but I think that's been removed.

If there was some way to encourage people who are leveling to chose to run a foundry it would probably give them a break with the XP curve and if it was an NPC quest like a well informed harper that gave level appropriate xp and gold for completion it would probably be worth it to them for that. Much like the Cleric in stronghold quest gives out Dungeoneers shards and XP for under level 70 toons for running leveling dungeons and skirmishes- except this would be for everyone- not just people in a guild. It might help clear up the xp gap between level 67-70 in the end and it would give some additional exposure to the foundry authoring community before the grind began and might pique their interest post 70 for newer players. The harper boards are everywhere already- XP for completion has it's benefits for post 70 characters looking for power points also.

Just my thoughts. :)​​
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.