test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Masterwork Final Recipes: Disappointments

zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
edited January 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
The new Masterwork professions are a mixed bag but are all in all a good thing. The unlock process is definitely brutal, expensive, frustrating, and farming intensive (with all steps at 20% or 35% chance at best using the white tool). Masterwork offered a new challenge and new way for players brave enough to undertake to make AD and craft meaningful gear. Having seen the final crafting recipes from all of the professions, I would like to share some general comments and observations:

Jewelcrafting Masterwork rings and necklaces. : These come in PVE and PVP varieties. The PVE versions of the rings offer better and different stats than non masterwork Jewelcrafting rings. The Rosegold PvP rings are identical to the Lionsmane single slot tenacity rings in stat but the have an additional enchant slot. One thing that does not make a lot of sense is the huge disparity in crafting difficulty/cost between the different rings (Rosegold Gladiator is nearly twice as expensive to make as Rosegold duelist). A shortcoming with Masterwork Jewelcrafting is the Electrum necklaces (also PVE and PVP versions). These are single slot necklaces only, identical to stronghold Lionsmane/Dragonflight accessory necklaces, and even with the tenacity are not even close to competitive with a legendary artifact neck item and set bonus (like lostmauth). To be at least somewhat competitive, a second enchant slot or at least a utility slot would need to be added (upgrade with black ice shaping?). Another shortcoming is the release of really powerful underdark rings like ambush and sieging at the same time as masterwork rings. Ultrarare Legendary rings trump purple Rosegold rings. Players should have some way to transmute to a legendary version of a Rosegold ring through the masterwork process or black ice shaping as an alternative to running endless mindless demogorgons and hoping to get lucky.

Alchemy Masterwork Potions: Masterwork alchemy pots were really disappointing. So many cool things could have been done with this, but all you can make are 5 pots just like the regular pots [(Force (power), Tidespan (recovery), Accuracy (crit), Reflexes (deflect), Fortification(defense)] but with 1500 stat instead of 1000 and they last 30 minutes and persist through death. Fine, but boring. Alchemy was the most brutal and expensive unlock, and that is all? Just 5 cut and dry boring slightly better pots? Disappointing and an opportunity missed. Some ideas of things that would have been really cool to add:

Alchemy Potion of Diminution (tiny) of Potion of Enlargement
Alchemy Armor penetration elixir (1500 Armor penetration)
Alchemy Potion of High Jumping (temp increase a players jump height)
Alchemy One-time use Bombs (can be thrown for damage, long cooldown)
Alchemy Potion of stealth reveal (there are rings for that, but why not, with everyone wearing ambush rings)

Artificing/Weaponsmithing Together these make the 8 Armaments for the 8 classes which allow you to get the Stronghold weapon and offhand. And that is it. Just 4 recipes for both professions. Again, pretty boring. Seems like recipes are missing. Again a little disappointing.

Leatherworking/Tailoring/Mailsmithing/Platesmithing Together these make head, arms, chest, and feet pieces for the 8 classes for PVE and PVP both. These are useful recipes. You could use 3 Lionsmane (get full 3 set bonus) and 1 Mastercraft piece and lose almost nothing in stat. Saved on siege farming. The pieces are identical to stat and appearance to the Lionsmane and Dragonflight gear but without set bonuses. Also they cannot be upgraded to elemental versions but the stat difference is very slight anyway. These pieces are also very useful for gearing alts or using for a single back up chest piece.

Crafting recipes 404 Error not found:
Masterwork Armor reinforcement kits with 300 stat each to upgrade Superior Armor kits 200 stat? The total difference would be 100x4 and an extra 400 stat (1%) is not exactly game breaking. So why no Masterwork Armor kits?

Aside from a number of bugs with the worst being the shared explorer node bug and low alum drop rate, the overall masterwork structure and execution was pretty decent. Overall would give grade B-. Alum scummers made the whole thing way more unpleasant and difficult than it was inherently meant to be. Hope more recipes are added in the future.

Sopi (aka Haxbox) SW [Synergy]
Sopi SW Youtube channel pvp brickabrack

Post edited by zeusom on

Comments

• santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    Has anyone made a Stronghold Weapon yet, or is it still a "concept weapon"?

I do wish, if they wouldn't remove the Stronghold requirement, or cut the Stronghold AD costs, that they would drop Masterworks to a GH 10 or lower. Their requirements are mind-numbing and unnecessary. They could have at least revamped existing crafting to be relevant before adding MW on.
  • callofkutulucallofkutulu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 56 Arc User

I do wish, if they wouldn't remove the Stronghold requirement, or cut the Stronghold AD costs, that they would drop Masterworks to a GH 10 or lower. Their requirements are mind-numbing and unnecessary. They could have at least revamped existing crafting to be relevant before adding MW on.

yes, several people in our guild have the stronghold weapons now. I am sure other large guilds have them as well.
  • flambridgeflambridge Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I thing finally alchemist can be learn make various exclusive pots and foods.
    (Fae, Superior Black Ice, events like Elminster's, etc.)
    Masterwork is MASTERWORK, I dont see why not.
    Each event (during event time), Masterwork Alchemist can be learn one exclusive recipe.

And for another Masterwork too, why not?
    For exemple:
    During Gond event, Mailsmithing/Platesmithing can be learn "Gond's Master Plate Reinforcement Kits" (a add reinforce kit with Mailsmithing/Platesmithing +20% time reduced bonus).
    And Leatherworking/Tailoring can be learn "Gond's Master Inventive Reinforcement Kits" (a add reinforce kit with +20% chance bonus of refine success for this slot gear).
    All add event kit can be used with regular reinforce kts without interference (call it "utilitary kits").

• wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Alchemy Masterwork Potions: Masterwork alchemy pots were really disappointing. So many cool things could have been done with this, but all you can make are 5 pots just like the regular pots [(Force (power), Tidespan (recovery), Accuracy (crit), Reflexes (deflect), Fortification(defense)] but with 1500 stat instead of 1000 and they last 30 minutes and persist through death. Fine, but boring. Alchemy was the most brutal and expensive unlock, and that is all? Just 5 cut and dry boring slightly better pots? Disappointing and an opportunity missed. Some ideas of things that would have been really cool to add:
    Im still slowly unlocking alchemy masterwork. Im doing it in hope that will be useful some day - I've always been an alchemist if it comes to professions, because I thought one day it would become useful (and it was for some time). The most painful thing is that all these potions are still inferior to a white task giving Superior Flask of Potency Very disappotining. They should give at least an enhanced version of this potion.

By any chance - do you know resources needed to craft the 1500 stat potions? Are they the same as these needed for 1000 stat potions?
  • solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    You are so negative in thoughts!!!
  • meurydicemeurydice Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    On previous patch, it said:

Masterwork Professions

"Alum is now obtained more frequently from Explorer's Charts in Mt. Hotenow, relative to other materials."

But as of now, out of 4 Explorer's Chart: Hotenow, i obtained only 4 Alum. How frequent is this relative to other materials? Am also disappointed. :/

• zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User

GH 12 vs. GH 10 won't make a lot of difference in the number of players that have access to any of this. Most players are probably at GH 7 or less, with GH 8+ being many months away at least.
  • rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    Masterwork as a whole was a hugggggge HAMSTER fail, especially the SH weapons gated behind it. 95% of the players literally don't care enough to even go through that RNG hell and rightly so.
    zibadawa said:

GH 12 vs. GH 10 won't make a lot of difference in the number of players that have access to any of this. Most players are probably at GH 7 or less, with GH 8+ being many months away at least.

Then it should be GH7, if that is where the bulk of the playerbase is at. I don't like the SH gating of MW at all, frankly.

yes, several people in our guild have the stronghold weapons now. I am sure other large guilds have them as well.

Glad someone got these, finally. I have already refined my Drowned Weapons into my Twisted Weapons, prob. 3 weeks ago.
  • shazza53shazza53 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    oops - unintentional post. Please delete.