test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Companion: The Quasit is Summoned!

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
Though Demogorgon inflicts madness into any brave adventurer he faces, it takes a particularly skilled being to manipulate even the finest of heroes to do their bidding. As the tricky devil on your shoulder, the quasit excels at torment, mischief and corruption. Luckily for you, this quasit is bound to you by magic and shall “advise” you as the newest companion in Neverwinter, available for purchase in the Zen Market on January 21! http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9746203

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    +1 for new stuff! -10 for regeneration.
  • Options
    kaenkirakaenkira Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Why do they put useless stats on new companions like this. Just like Grazillax Ichor bonus. Somebody forgot to get a second opinion before pushing those out to live server.

The companion looks cute in a weird alien way lol
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    Thus continuing the trend of new companions that provide way higher bonuses than old ones of the same bonus type (regen in this case), and only being available for zen.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    I have no problem with stuff being on the zen store. Electricity won't pay for itself. As long as the price is reasonable (Zen item prices need a total overhaul someday) that's fine. I really just can't see anyone buy this as it doesn't serve any purpose. Regen is a stat that nobody wants or needs.

I understand the new stuff needs to have a cool bonus if there is any expectation of purchase, but that cool bonus has to be useful. This one is not, even with the 3 piece set bonus.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    ohohohoh the memories... quasit was my very first familiar in AD&D back in 1989.... later I wanted to race change into quasit but the DM didn't allow it ... so I used my wish to regrow my severed arm lol...
    JMYwySk.jpg
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User

Thus continuing the trend of new companions that provide way higher bonuses than old ones of the same bonus type (regen in this case), and only being available for zen.

Well there is nothing wrong having have items in the zen store, the most useful comps are typically not in the zen store, but out of lockboxes or zen purchase packages or trade bar store.

I wouldnt sweat it much.. this comp, even if sort of cool looking, isnt of any value.

(not sure if they remember how bad regen is. )

• Options
    kaenkirakaenkira Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    It's like they're trying to NOT SELL stuff.
  • Options
    hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    Where Cambion Magus like because 20kk AD is just a rofl!!!
  • Options
    caunsidhcaunsidh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    It's certainly not BIS, but if it's priced the same as Ioun Stone of Allure, I can definitely see why would someone buy this one instead of Allure.
    Therenil - Hunter Ranger, Stormwarden/Trapper
    3.jpg
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    Regeneration eh? It's almost like the devs don't play this game sometimes.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    The art for this little guy looks amazing, truly. And I love the idea of having more augment companions that have animated sprites and aren't just an orbiting blob. Goat is still in collections but hasn't happened. Baby animal augments may be inbound very soon, via the New Life lockbox teased in a recent email. Just personal musing, but how cool would a Faerie Dragon augment be?

The thing is, augment companions are not the current hotness compared to a bonded battle companion, so it's hard to love augments right now as more than an idea. I guess a lot of it is innate in power creep, but a companion now needs to offer something pretty special bonus-wise to be viewed as worth using. And no matter how much regeneration you put on it, it's not a stat players are looking for because of not being able to regenerate HP in combat (and not caring about the effect on incoming healing - which, fairly, you can get other ways).

(Couple of notes on companion pricing in general, the tomb spider and kenku archer are inexplicably higher priced than other companions of their quality. The black dragon ioun stone is also more expensive than all other epic Zen companions, which was slightly understandable when it came out.)

(Notes on companion bonuses in general, for any stat stick companion to measure up in level 70 stat scaling, the numbers would need to be more in line with the quasit than current. +25/+100/+190/+300 to a stat is a *terrible* bonus, considering these weren't even much good under the old system. Stuff like the Swashbuckler and Travelling Entertainer circumstantially giving you a teeny-tiny increase in stats... staggeringly awful. Boosting all of them would be a nice gesture to players, and wouldn't wreak havoc on lowbie balancing any worse than being able to use high-level enchants, even less due to not being active in Domination PvP. Aside from that, anyone wanting to be an overpowered lowbie would still be better off using something that buffs damage directly. So really, nothing to lose and everything to gain by adjusting them.)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User

Well there is nothing wrong having have items in the zen store, the most useful comps are typically not in the zen store, but out of lockboxes or zen purchase packages or trade bar store.

I wouldnt sweat it much.. this comp, even if sort of cool looking, isnt of any value.

It's not a question of a companion being being for zen only, but that the zen only item is far stronger in the particular bonus than any non-zen option. The principle is the same as if the stat in question was life steal or crit or power, the zen only option is 4x as good as any other option for the ability in question.

I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options

It's not a question of a companion being being for zen only, but that the zen only item is far stronger in the particular bonus than any non-zen option. The principle is the same as if the stat in question was life steal or crit or power, the zen only option is 4x as good as any other option for the ability in question.

This may not be a matter of Zen/non-Zen companions as much as a new companion having a bonus in keeping with current stat scaling, while none of the old ones have been adjusted, per my post above.

I think the answer is to adjust all the stat-stick companions to offer something balanced to the current game.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    eion311eion311 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    There is nothing wrong with it being a Zen item. Save your AD, get Zen through the market. I agree it would be nice if the other augment companion stats were adjusted to be higher, but I just don't see it happening.
    Regen as a stat though is just god aweful. At least with the rework lifesteal is still viable, the rework killed regen.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Going to have to get one just for the D&D Wizard fan in me.... Brings back memories! :D

Too bad it has Regen though. Seems strange they would make a new companion have so much of a newly-made useless stat. Perhaps the devs plan on making the stat useful again? Sure hope so.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    maybe they put it so high, knowing how terrible regen is.. large #s impress people sometimes..
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    regeneration is not useless stat incoming healing bonus in combat is not useless.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User

regeneration is not useless stat incoming healing bonus in combat is not useless.

When you're solo and playing solo content (which is 95% of this game), both stats are utterly useless.

Mod. 6. Ruined. The. Game.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options

No, it is not useless in the manner that it does work and has a function. It is worthless though, as extra healing is not needed (once again...good thing they did that LS nerf huh).
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    I have a cat... but will probly get the Quasit. Why? Classic AD&D.
    My evil magic user had one, my CW needs one. Style points.

Not a huge difference between Fall Damage reduction and Regen to me.
    Augments bury you in stats. Why expect it to also have a great bonus, too?
    That would make non-augs even more pointless.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2016
    hustin1 said:

When you're solo and playing solo content (which is 95% of this game), both stats are utterly useless.

No, it is not useless in the manner that it does work and has a function. It is worthless though, as extra healing is not needed (once again...good thing they did that LS nerf huh).
    Indeed, this is what I meant by my useless comment. In it's current state, it does work but the gain from it does not equate to any worthy usefulness in my opinion. Healing is so little needed in the majority of the game and where it is needed, the gain from incoming healing off of regeneration is nothing to be worthy of devoting to.

I will still get the companion though, as I said. Why? Nostalgia. It's adorable, in an ugly way, and brings back memories. Plus, it's an augment. I love augments. I'm an old school D&D Wizard Fan/Player and love collecting companions, mounts, achievements, lore, and weird stuff.

• Options
    hustin1 said:

Ehh... while I agree that neither is a top priority, incoming healing does make your life steal more efficient, helps if you use a healer companion, and improves all sources of self-healing, which isn't limited to healer classes. Everyone can get access to the 4th boons from Shar and DR, for example.

I wouldn't necessarily seek out more than what I get from the DC artifact and boons, but I'll gladly take what's given to me.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    obsiddia said:

I have a cat... but will probly get the Quasit. Why? Classic AD&D.
    My evil magic user had one, my CW needs one. Style points.

Not a huge difference between Fall Damage reduction and Regen to me.
    Augments bury you in stats. Why expect it to also have a great bonus, too?

Non-augments are already busy making augments pointless with bonding runestone shenanigans.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    obsiddia said:

I

That is... a really weird statement, like you missed every discussion ever about bonding runestones.

(I still use augments on plenty of characters because they're bought and paid for and BiS is uninteresting to me in the same way that owning a larger television is uninteresting to me when I've already got one that works fine. But I know that technically I could get more stats if I upgraded a bunch of companions and a bunch of bonding stones and... bleh. I just can't be bothered about it that much when it's such an expense and I like having so many characters playable-if-not-BiS.)

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    zebular said:

hustin1 said:

Indeed, this is what I meant by my useless comment. In it's current state, it does work but the gain from it does not equate to any worthy usefulness in my opinion. Healing is so little needed in the majority of the game and where it is needed, the gain from incoming healing off of regeneration is nothing to be worthy of devoting to.

I will still get the companion though, as I said. Why? Nostalgia. It's adorable, in an ugly way, and brings back memories. Plus, it's an augment. I love augments. I'm an old school D&D Wizard Fan/Player and love collecting companions, mounts, achievements, lore, and weird stuff.

do not forget those companions works also in open pvp. maybe for someone play pve is not good but for someone playing open world pvp maybe is good. general about the regen stat in pvp example a wizard does a lot more heal with chaotic growth than 0 regen.
  • Options
    lldtlldt Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    arabatur said:

Regeneration eh? It's almost like the devs don't play this game sometimes.

I really wish the reason why they chose regeneration is because they don't want to keep pushing the pay-to-win model, but i think they're long past that already. This is just the first in the line of new companions with much higher stats. Of course, you would want to start with the crappiest stat and work your way up....
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I play augments with L8s. Clearly not going to be piling up 3 perfect bondings.
    3.6M AD? Perhaps if I open some lucky lockboxes I'd look into it.

Not sure why people who'd never play augments complain about
    a new ones abilities. You just don't buy it.

Of course if you're complaining about this augment not being a
    defender, instead... I guess that's a decent point.

For the average player, this is like getting the Chicken augment.
    It's amusing.

Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    I think it's two separate points. Like I said, I do also use augments because I've already got them, and plenty of runestones, and any runestone that's not bonding is pretty danged cheap anyway. So I understand the desire to keep on using what you've got when it's working just fine, and very much understand the aesthetic being appealing (just look at that thing!).

It's kind of hard for me to justify putting more money into a different augment though, when the bonus is fairly bad, and I'm using augments because they're what I already have. Depends if they put it at the same price as other rare companions or arbitrarily decide to make this one more expensive because it's so new and speshul. I can be parted with my money for cute factor, but probably not for nothing but cute factor.

It's not even quite like getting a chicken because the bonus on the chicken is an occasional lifesaver. Regen won't be.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    nimandiirnimandiir Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    So judging by the Regen is worthless and this is only for people who like to see higher #'s responses in this thread, then I'm only going to see a couple of these guys around town... yeah, right, thats whats gonna happen ;)