test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Outdoors maps - how to make multiple "rooms"

drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
So... working on chapter 5 now. With out giving anything away... I want the player to travel to a bunch of outdoorsy areas and need to organize a cat and mouse game. Problem is this involves a lot of portals, and a lot of detective / guess work on the player's part.

Is there a way to use like a flat grass land, next to a big hilly area, next to a city street, and graveyard? Or do I basically need to take the biggest baddest large map and populate these different locals on my own?
8IxArUQf.jpg
A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
Post edited by drakedge2 on

Comments

• zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your outdoor map can only consist of one outdoor map. Find one that offers the most variety.
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm maybe one of those ginormous ones and i can just add a buncha details to it.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It sounds like your plan may run afoul of the map detail budget, if nothing else. You're trying to do something that is beyond what the game expects, so you should be prepared to deal with some massive headaches while solving this problem.
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh I have already been torturing myself re-creating Sigil within the limits of the foundry, a little more torture can't hurt =)
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • dzaimsdzaims Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Interesting, as I've been dreaming of Sigil as well.. how did your map work out? How did you accomplish the 'ring' feel?
    Ancient Spirits officer

NW-DM9Pj62ZK 'Bear with Me'
    NW-DOPPZAYKQ 'Retirement Plans'
    NW-DKJMLS8OQ 'Sleepy in Cea Tull'

• valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    drakedge2 said:

So... working on chapter 5 now. With out giving anything away... I want the player to travel to a bunch of outdoorsy areas and need to organize a cat and mouse game. Problem is this involves a lot of portals, and a lot of detective / guess work on the player's part.

Is there a way to use like a flat grass land, next to a big hilly area, next to a city street, and graveyard? Or do I basically need to take the biggest baddest large map and populate these different locals on my own?

Take a look at my foundry "The Wildcross Bride", you begin in a city build in an outdoor area. There is an "interior" building too that you can enter, Selûne Temple.

@Reiwulf has another foundry with many "interior" houses and a church, but now I don't remember the name. It's a masterpiece.

You can build a city or a graveyard or both in an open area, even build interior scenarios, just use the avaible assets and take a look you don't surpase the 1.700 objects limit per map, but it takes a loooooooooooot of time with a loooooot of patience. Good luck!!!

Some examples:

Free Image Hosting

Free Image Hosting

The Lost Seneschal:

Free Image Hosting

(Be aware of the pop-ups)

NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    wow this is a big big necropost. check the date guys, he was asking on may 2013. =P
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    Oh lol!!!! :D:D
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    I have a goal to make a massive adventure on a single map.. inside, outside, underground, in the sky.. a little of everything.

I have no problem staying within budget.

But with a lack of any sort of large "grassy field" or even "dirt" decals, the maps all come out looking like a HAMSTER.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • rezuron#1946 rezuron Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    Tell me about it :(
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    Check out Lootpike's Warforged campaign, if it's not been bug laden, it's very well planned outdoor maps that make good use of altitude and limited space.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5