test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What program do you use to launch NW?

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
edited December 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Just out of curiosity, what program do you use to launch NW?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

What program do you use to launch NW? 121 votes

Steam
13%
urabasksuicidalgodotdll32exechartos#6469arcofortep12mok33callofkutulutulubat0altumaaskarolz1210namelesshero347twoedge1balding2earllostdaywalker565k1dz0r07#7877 16 votes
Arc
27%
strumslingerchtarbouillehfleetinstynctivesorce#8115kreatyvetoxicwolfiesantralafaxmynaamqexotictaitinhakkaajasweatapodimasrickcase276loexwellvordayndarkstarcrashvjarlshinlogoslokiyoa14nvisinji 33 votes
Application(.exe)
59%
hmdq#4491snottymicky1p00sockmunkeycharononusnemo314zebularkatamaster81899roller300thedyslexiconeeregerogtvcityabsphyakusekaisilvergryphpercemerrayrdanromotheonereiwulfmagenubbie 72 votes

Comments

• Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    Application(.exe)
    Hey, Grand Nagus! Moogie here :)

I use the application. I have Arc installed, mainly to get the free stuff way back when they offered it to get us to use it, and then to enter promo codes when that became the only way to enter them. But now they brought back the web page for promo code entry, so I haven't opened it since.

I don't use Steam; NW & STO are the only MMO's I've ever played. Played STO since Beta, so that was the only program I had active at the time Arc started. A few reasons why I don't use them - I don't like background, web-connected tracking software on my computer; I do not have unlimited data plan for Internet, so it costs me money every time one of these programs sends info to and from my computer; It's an unnecessary drain on resources; I've enough experience in networking/marketing/computer programming to know ToS should be read pay attention to privacy;
    Almost every "can't start the game" post I've seen could be solved by bypassing Arc; I'm old and don't like being told I have to use something I know I don't have to use, in order to play a game.

TLDR: I use the application. I'm interested to see how your poll answers trend.
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    Steam
    Steam - because I want to see what all my Steam buddies from all my other games are doing. At times fun and/or grand sessions in other games can ensue...
  • Options
    chaosweaver83chaosweaver83 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Application(.exe)
    Been using the original launcher since beta. Never saw a reason to change to anything else.
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Steam
    verdonix1 said:

Steam and ARC BLOATWARE... yuck.

Okay. Well that's a post.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Application(.exe)
    I use the launcher for each Cryptic Game (Neverwinter.exe / Star Trek Online.exe / Champions Online.exe) and have since Beta for STO, Launch for CO, and Alpha for NW. Even for Forsaken World, I use it's launcher too.

I currently have the games installed via the ARC client however. It's just not necessary to launch them with ARC or Steam, even if installed through them. I do have Steam installed though, I just don't use it for Cryptic installations anymore. I used to, just not to launch them.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    Application(.exe)
    Been here since Closed Beta, so I run it the old fashioned way. If for some reason I was ever required to reinstall the game I would take it as a sign as not to be playing; it's just not good enough any more.

Absolutely no way I'm using Arc either.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    redrockls3redrockls3 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I didn't realize you can use something other than Arc. Now that I've installed Arc and Neverwinter through it, how do I launch the game without using Arc? I've searched my computer and there's no neverwinter.exe anywhere on it. Even with the Neverwinter launcher on my desktop, it opens Arc before I can launch the game.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Application(.exe)

I didn't realize you can use something other than Arc. Now that I've installed Arc and Neverwinter through it, how do I launch the game without using Arc? I've searched my computer and there's no neverwinter.exe anywhere on it. Even with the Neverwinter launcher on my desktop, it opens Arc before I can launch the game.

The launcher you have on your desktop that is opening ARC is probably one you chose to create during or after installation by the ARC client and would explain why it is opening ARC.

To have your own pin/shortcut directly to the launcher:

In your installation directory is "Neverwinter.exe" and if you installed it via ARC, it will be nestled inside the folders within the ARC installation directory, usually under /Neverwinter_en/Neverwinter/ (the _en part may vary by localization) - if you cannot find it manually or via search, then what I suggest is to use ARC to load the launcher but before pressing play, right-click your taskbar or press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and choose Task Manager. Then find Neverwinter in the running processes, right-click it and choose "Open file location."

Once you have it's location, if you're on Windows 8+, right click Neverwinter.exe in the File Explorer and choose either "Pin to Start" and/or "Pin to Taskbar." Alternatively, you can choose "Create Shortcut" and then rename and place the Shortcut where ever you like. Then close out the launcher, close out ARC and then use your new Pin or Shortcut to launch the launcher directly. You can do this also with STO and CO and a couple other PWE Games. Some PWE Games require ARC or Steam however.
    Post edited by zebular on
  • Options
    Application(.exe)

zebular said:

as well as Forsaken World ...

I can't get FW to start without ARC anymore. Game.exe and patcher.exe both lead to ARC now unfortunately. But yes, it still works on NW, thank the heavens.
    I'll look into it later when I have time and see what's up. Thanks!

• Options
    looomislooomis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 253 Arc User
    Application(.exe)
    The best function of ARC is the message box inside the uninstall wizard, where you can tell the staff why you deinstall the software.
  • Options
    ckotoc666ckotoc666 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Arc
    Arc.I like how they have all their games on one platform.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    Application(.exe)
    we finally have some numbers... we have about 15k players in most hours.
  • Options
    eion311eion311 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Application(.exe)
    Been playing since beta so I've always used the launcher. I do have arc installed though to be able to redeem codes. I occasionally run the launcher through Steam though so friends can watch the stream if they wish to.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Application(.exe)
    Application, i don't like something "extra" running in the background...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    hfleethfleet Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    Arc
    The ARC client has a number of useful features:
    Code redemption, News, all the games in one spot, etc.

(Also, they plan to migrate all games to launch directly from ARC in the future anyway)
  • Options
    kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    Arc
    I use ARC and I like it. Don't understand why people dislike it.
  • Options
    looomislooomis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 253 Arc User
    Application(.exe)
    kurtb88 said:

I use ARC and I like it. Don't understand why people dislike it.

If you play exactly one game, it is useless.
    I dont like the GUI (I don't find anything), the advertising for other games, the program that runs in the background, ...
    :(

• Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    Application(.exe)
    I also try to use this poll to estimate the player numbers. But this is only useful for PC in the dragon Server.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    Arc
    I've tried to load up NW without ARC, but it always makes me use it. :-(
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    Application(.exe)

Have you read @zebular's post - think it's #10. He explains quite thoroughly how to do it
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Application(.exe)

Have you read @zebular's post - think it's #10. He explains quite thoroughly how to do it
    Indeed, I did. Here it is again however:
    zebular said:

The launcher you have on your desktop that is opening ARC is probably one you chose to create during or after installation by the ARC client and would explain why it is opening ARC.

To have your own pin/shortcut directly to the launcher:

In your installation directory is "Neverwinter.exe" and if you installed it via ARC, it will be nestled inside the folders within the ARC installation directory, usually under /Neverwinter_en/Neverwinter/ (the _en part may vary by localization) - if you cannot find it manually or via search, then what I suggest is to use ARC to load the launcher but before pressing play, right-click your taskbar or press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and choose Task Manager. Then find Neverwinter in the running processes, right-click it and choose "Open file location."

Once you have it's location, if you're on Windows 8+, right click Neverwinter.exe in the File Explorer and choose either "Pin to Start" and/or "Pin to Taskbar." Alternatively, you can choose "Create Shortcut" and then rename and place the Shortcut where ever you like. Then close out the launcher, close out ARC and then use your new Pin or Shortcut to launch the launcher directly. You can do this also with STO and CO and a couple other PWE Games. Some PWE Games require ARC or Steam however.
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    Arc
    ...and it's working now. Thanks. :-)
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    Arc
    I have no problem using the Arc client - it's quick and easy to use and I see all recent blogs/news articles from the devs in one place without having to look for them. The advertising for other games doesn't bother me in the slightest - it's nowhere near as intrusive or annoying as the marketing on most websites.

This sounds like the standard nerd divide - some guys have to have their command line prompt (because it allows for more control...power...nerdversion manliness), while others are just fine using the GUI.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Application(.exe)

This sounds like the standard nerd divide - some guys have to have their command line prompt (because it allows for more control...power...nerdversion manliness), while others are just fine using the GUI.

True I guess, up to a point. But it's also a matter of good practice not to install programs you don't need. There is absolutely no reason to use a program that launches a program I can also launch directly. It's a waste of time, disk space, bandwidth (still important in some parts of the world where data limits actually still exist) CPU time and memory. And yes, I can do without the useless registry entries created by a program I don't need or want. That's obvious.
    The ARC Client also contains social features for communication and community, account management, promo code redemption and history, news delivery, content delivery of all PWE games, and the new VoIP feature for voice chat in and out of game. The ARC Client may not be something useful to you, but it may very well be useful to someone else and dwelling on just one aspect of it for reasons to degrade it is quite perplexing when it does much more than just launching a game.
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    Steam

[...] To each his own. But to me it's pointless bloatware.

I don't need a program to launch a program. That's what Windows is for [...] You're free to disagree.

...which I do.

Steam overlay is the only type of social media I really appreciate (and use, BTW), hence I launch the game via Steam to have the updated info on the wherebaouts of my Steam buddies. Which, often enough, makes me start a chat if and when they launch a game I'm also fond of, sometimes leading to my leaving Faerûn ad going to e.g. Tamriel instead.

I do not need Steam to launch NW. I actually want to have that messaging feature. And I can also appreciate the mindset to launch the game straight off the launcher .exe if one doesn't want anything else but play NW. If I wouldn't, and/or if it weren't there, your bloatware thing would/might be appropriate. But as a globalized deprecation, it's somewhat wrong, at least in the case of the Steam client. Don't know anything about ARC client, so I won't comment there...