test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

'Sleepy in Cea Tull' , Another L3 Joint

dzaimsdzaims Member Posts: 86 Arc User
Some folks tend to stick with you, and usually the ones that tend to need you the most. Well, Starbuck has found himself in hot water and needs your help.

Quest; Sleepy in Cea Tull
Author; @dzaims
Short code: NW-DKJMLS8OQ (I hope it's a cap O there, and not zero)

Play through it a couple ways, as you can choose how to end the quest, and let me know what you think. I put a difficulty switch in the dialog as well.

Thanks,

Legless Lego Legolas
Ancient Spirits officer

NW-DM9Pj62ZK 'Bear with Me'
NW-DOPPZAYKQ 'Retirement Plans'
NW-DKJMLS8OQ 'Sleepy in Cea Tull'

Comments

• rezuron#1946 rezuron Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    Review system is still broken so I didn't give you a mark.
    My feedback?
    It was Ok.
    Not fantastic, not bad, just Ok.

You could do it better and you know it.

Dialogs are sometimes funny but... not so funny. And a little bit long.
    There is no sound. I know, foundry and sound, it isn't a very good combo, but still.
    If player have seen Breaking Bad it is nice, short adventure. Else, it's just not bad.
    Have you used full limit of details? I don't think so. There is empty space everywhere. Maybe smaller locations will look better with this amount of details?
    There is easy and hard mode and it's plus for you.
    Let's talk about enemy. Hmm... There are a lot of Minions and stuff like that just waiting for death. However some of them have names and everyone of them have tag about their side. That's good.
    I am not pleased about fights in your tale. I have feel like "Hey! I need to kill more of you cuz... dunno, just because reasons. " and it was only way to countinue. Of course it's not bad, there is plenty of adventures where this is standard.
    However in your Foundry there are choices. By the way, it's the only reason I have played it.
    The point is - do you thought about solution without or just with less violence? When you play fourth foundry this day, it can be boring to kill next 10000000000 minions and you just want to say - Hey guys! Stop it! Let's talk about the problem!
    Think about it. You can always place this way in your next Foundry, right?

In my opinion you should get 3 Stars, but I will give you 4 (when the fu*** Foundry Review System will be up).
    Why? Because I have watched Breaking Bad and there was Choices (I know that in Foundry it isn't simple to make them).

Good job, man!
  • dzaimsdzaims Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll make it better, and you're part of helping me make that happen.

Yeah, there's a fair amount of hack-n-slashing that happens. I wish there was a way to reward players for negotiating and such, but I don't know if there's a mechanism to have dialogs/NPCs drop enchants, etc, that would be as rewarding as killing mobs. Without the AD bump from running Foundry, as you've seen, nobody bothers with it. Anyone have an answer for that? I'd love to make a more role-playing game than a FPS..

As for the map, yeah, guilty as charged. I made it too cute by half, trying the use the map to spell out a word. I originally wanted this to happen over a couple settings, but with the party-separating bug, I figured I'd keep it to one big map. I thought the custom map would give me more flexibility, but really didn't in many ways.

Details are fun to play with, but seem a little wasted on a hallway you'll run through once on your way to kill mobs (thinking of average player, farming gear, enchants). I'm nowhere near the budget cap, so I could spend some more time adding ephemera for the discerning Foundry author ;-)

I'm going to spend some time refining the current 3 quests I've done so far, with all the feedback I've gotten so far. Hopefully, someday, we'll get people to do Foundry content again.

Cheers,

L3

Ancient Spirits officer

• waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    dzaims said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make it better, and you're part of helping me make that happen.

Yeah, there's a fair amount of hack-n-slashing that happens. I wish there was a way to reward players for negotiating and such, but I don't know if there's a mechanism to have dialogs/NPCs drop enchants, etc, that would be as rewarding as killing mobs. Without the AD bump from running Foundry, as you've seen, nobody bothers with it. Anyone have an answer for that? I'd love to make a more role-playing game than a FPS.

Nope, there's no way to get NPC's to drop actual, tangible, useable loot like enchants or gear. All you can do is create your own rewards and items that the NPC's drop, which I find to be a really nice touch. ... And if you want to build a quest that's more RP than FPS, then just build it. :smile: A puzzle to solve, or maze, or just a really well written story. Don't have to have any combat at all if you don't want.
    Off to go run this one, and will review shortly.
    **edited to add review**

You continue to grow, and that's great! I like seeing what you're experimenting with. Since you've got good ideas, I agree with your own thought to refine your three more.

So, I've not watched Breaking Bad, but am very familiar with/about it. Even still, did not get any of the references. It was amusing standing on its own, but some dialogue could be tweaked. Review for grammar and punctuation, which was in only one or two places.

Suggestion for adding flavor to the scrolls and dialogue. Use the OOC font in the dialogue builder, and add description of how the person is saying something or what the item is like. For example, "This scrap of paper has several brown concentric rings on it" and then quip from Valdez. Or how Starbuck stares at you with bleary eyes.

I agree, add details. You have 1700 to play with. :D It won't be wasted. But don't get me wrong, the details you have look very good, good effects, loved the pipes and vats flow. More would be better in the layout you have. But be careful when adding more, because it means more to fix/adjust. I would suggest bookcases in first room be pulled closer to the walls. And in the third chamber area, there's a loaf of bread floating above and away from its barrel. Lastly, any details that you want players to interact with, rename them something, otherwise we see the asset name, i.e. the bismuth cubes in the last room.

Item drops - Worked good. Thought they were the real thing!

Combat - balanced in terms of difficulty as solo. Would've liked to know more of why I was fighting them too. have them patrol or just animate them so not just standing there. Or what was up with the hostages? Was I to free them? If I freed them, have them run away to safety?

Sound - Yup, I know sound is broken. But I still heard your effects, which were good. The thunder and lightning I didn't get because I'm indoors, and then into a cave...

One last thought. Do you want players to be able to run past all your work and see the last room right away? Because in this you can, without advancing the plot. Add invisible walls (with flavor text) or locked doors. This is just my own author preference to not allow that.
    Post edited by waryur on
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
    Is there any way to place sound w/o the editor crashing?
    Ancient Spirits officer

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

-Hostage situation (and resolution) now in Quest Line
    -Dialogs tweaked/polished more. Sorry that some are so long, but storytelling requires some story and some telling.
    -A non-violent (mostly) resolution to the quest might be possible, but it will take a fecal-ton of time, more annoying dialogs, NPCs and their annoying dialogs and item drops. Doable, maybe, but not quickly.
    -More details added, doing it gradually, so that they make sense, not just dumping stuff here and there on the floors/walls. Some spots are bare(ish)/open to leave room for extra mobs to spawn if hard difficulty selected.
    -Changed the alchemist's location (pretty snazzy upgrade, if you ask me)
    -Added optional wrinkle at the end, for the observant/adventurous

Getting better every day, and I've gone back to make tweaks to the previous quests as well. Thanks for continuing to care about Foundry, even when it seems that Cryptic/PWE does not.

Cheers,

Dzaims (aka L3, Legless Lego Legolas, Legs)
    Ancient Spirits officer