test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scourge Warlock - it's that time again

lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
Been doing other things, thinking about returning.
Before I start dusting of my SW, a quick question:

Have there been any recent (approx last couple of months) changes to the class?
- oh and is Strumslinger still trying to level one? :D:D:D
...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
"Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
..............not this one then.............

Comments

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    no.. not really.

I find it the cheapest way after gwf to do serious dps for groups without alot of time and/or ad involved though (in the soulbinder /damnation pathing)

• davidjayderdavidjayder Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I think SWs are in a good spot except for the exceptionally long animations that sometimes can't be cancelled.
  • taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Don't waste your time on SW. All we are holding on is some empty promises of balancing class, since mod 6 launched.
    In PVE your dps will be nothing compared to gwf and PVP is totally unbalanced since new rings arrived (cowardice mainly).
    Damnation will do good in T2 if you want to abuse broken puppet.. It's fun for a week.
  • andorrabellandorrabell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 437 Arc User
    We need serious help versus GWF still. The only recent improvement is that if you get far enough away from your pet it will pop to you so we don't have to kill ourselves quite so much.
  • tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited December 2015

Don't waste your time on SW. All we are holding on is some empty promises of balancing class, since mod 6 launched.
    In PVE your dps will be nothing compared to gwf and PVP is totally unbalanced since new rings arrived (cowardice mainly).
    Damnation will do good in T2 if you want to abuse broken puppet.. It's fun for a week.

This,

SWs were killed after Mod6, since then it was just about 8 months of empty promise while they did nothing for the class. You indeed have the option of going damnation and abuse a glitch that was never solved because working on a solution for that bug it would involve the devs remembering they create that class and work on it. Strum and devs said several times they have their eyes on the class to look for balancing issues, but I guess they considering the class WAI because they did absolutly nothing for the class.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    I've put my SW on the back burner so to speak and relegated her to be my crafter.
    It's a shame really as I built her up for a long time, and I like the character. But, the SW really cannot survive very well.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Low-Mid Item Level SWs are in a rough place survivability wise.

Mid-High SWs are doing pretty darn well IMO, but that's from a Soulbinder Fury perspective...

Damnation is janky, IMO, and Temptation is just dead in the water.

So Damnation needs adjustments, Temptation needs a complete rewrok, and Fury is solid.

Overall, from a SB Fury, I'd love a 33% reduction in casting time similar to what CWs received in Mod 5. :)
    va8Ru.gif
    I'm SB Fury il 3.1k. Soloing ain't the issue for me anymore. If i run some party content with 2 gwf's (same il as i) i don't have time to use TT or Harrow storm. (Animation takes way too much time).
    There are some very easy fixes that could be done without major coding. Give us constant life steal class bonus and reduce animation times in some powers ( Hadars grasp, soul scorch, harrow storm and tyrannical threath)
    About ring of cowardice, every time i attack player who uses that ring i am disabled for 8 seconds. Creeping death procs 8 sec. so i am constantly pushed/rooted for that time.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User

I'm SB Fury il 3.1k. Soloing ain't the issue for me anymore.

The solo part isn't challenging, but it raises questions when my DC can plow through the content faster than my SW can.

• lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    ah, was playing Temp upto Mod 6, had to switch spec after that and carried on for a while. Heart wasn't really in it as I liked the Temp.
    Probably best to leave it a bit longer then, as I got frustrated with what they did to the Temp. Thanks for the replies guys.
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
  • subnoctesubnocte Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    They haven't changed anything much recently. They finally fixed the Avalanche boon bug, which was generally killing SWs and often anyone near them on their team too in PVP.

In dungeons you can do fine with aoe dps as long as there's a decent tank or healer, as you'll still be one shotted by things if hit, especially at low to mid (under 2.5k) ilvl.

Solo is a huge pain. Trash in IWD and WoD will hit you for 50% of your HP each time. As a new 70, up to about 2k, the zones are all exceptionally difficult - e.g. powries will constantly drain all of your AP in Sharandar, making that frustrating as hell, while other classes have no problem killing them before they can do it.

The extremely slow animations mean you often cannot cast a spell before you're hit, and many of the DoTs are interrupted before you can finish them by mobs (often with no red area warnings).

As for PVP, I'd say don't even bother unless you're already 3k+ and have a full set of PVP gear. Even then it's almost funny it's so unbalanced.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    If you're well integrated in a party - guild or friends doesn't matter - go for SW. If you have a Bubbladin pal - go for SW. If you have Icewind Dale and the Well of Dragons cleaned out already - go for SW.

Else: They're still way too squishy in midgame / early endgame solo gameplay. But damage-wise they're great, unless you want to play TempLock. That's all but dead/superfluous...

Also, all this is not due to changes to the class, but rather due to changes in the PvE gameplay balance.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    I would rate the following in terms of strikers vs progression. (ability to level, solo and progress effectively)
    HRs have thier own gripes, they really do. Its all trapper as you level or go away and their dps is pathetic until you can gear them up.

GWF, CW, TR, HR then SW.

However, SW as a striker can do fairly decent damage in a group.. that is one of their saving graces.

When you get to low mid 2ks with a SW, you can do the regular dailies fairly ok,wod is wonked for them until you get into the high 2ks. I moved enchants around last week for a lark and had some fun with the class.. then moved them back to my other classes.. Its far easier to farm with a cw, gwf then this class.

• blinxonblinxon Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Bubbladin? Pfff....a tactician GF is twice as good. No one needs an permbubble lame OP anymore and
    I LOVE IT!!!!
  • subnoctesubnocte Member Posts: 341 Arc User

When you get to low mid 2ks with a SW, you can do the regular dailies fairly ok,wod is wonked for them until you get into the high 2ks. I moved enchants around last week for a lark and had some fun with the class.. then moved them back to my other classes.. Its far easier to farm with a cw, gwf then this class.

Yeah, at 2.7k I can finally kill Thayans in WoD and trolls in IWD as long as I have full AP in order to get TT off to start the fight. There's no point if I haven't, because if they're already attacking, I'd be dead by the time the animation has finished.

Pretty annoying when I see 2.5k and below people from every other class walk and in clear the lot in 5 seconds. At that gear level as a SW you just can't do it unless you're willing to spend 15 minutes on each fight.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    The only thing I have found my SW good for is as a damnation in eLOL the soul puppet can tank both scorpions pretty easily...not sure why the scorpions don't do much damage to them
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Warlock can do good in demorgorgon f.e
    High mobility + damage and having enough lifesteal from SH boons and your dots up most classes die before you lay down
    Puppet is bugged, TT is bugged and 50% or more of your damage is related to dailies and a fast AP gain
    Someone wrote in another thread, Strums warlock has done it to level 5 last time he saw him (guildmember) , serious no joke :).....he really burns through content, powerleveling on a professional level
  • lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited December 2015

Warlock can do good in demorgorgon f.e

High mobility + damage and having enough lifesteal from SH boons and your dots up most classes die before you lay down

Puppet is bugged, TT is bugged and 50% or more of your damage is related to dailies and a fast AP gain

Someone wrote in another thread, Strums warlock has done it to level 5 last time he saw him (guildmember) , serious no joke :).....he really burns through content, powerleveling on a professional level

Strums on level 5? Already?
    Ah, suppose it's ok for these no-lifers, 24-7 leveling.
    But it begs the question..........did he have a leveling partner for this?

Ok, looks like he may be focusing on different things at the moment.

Watching brief only then, hopefully something will be done to the Temp before the sun eventually goes supernova.
    well, i takes about 10-15 hours to get character to level 60. During last 2x XP event i took 30 min to get character to level 11. So level 5... Must be total noob or lack of commitment.
  • rottersrotters Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    a decent geared SW ie SB fury is a great addition to any party. Hadars Grasp, Soul scorch and for some serious numbers killing flames feated into murderous flames. can often see crits for a million or more and at times non crits for a few million.

Tab.

Tabatha@rotters // Scourge Warlock // Co Leader // Civil Anarchy

Part of the -Fabled- Alliance

We are looking for non elitist guilds to join our alliance.

Puppet is bugged, TT is bugged and

Sry, how is TT bugged? Explain plz, or maybe got a link? Thx for it

err. To all who rate SW as good/great/exellent class in PVE... How do you rate GWF in PVE?

err. To all who rate SW as good/great/exellent class in PVE... How do you rate GWF in PVE?

Why the heck in every thread classes have to compare to GWF???
    You cant compare a melee class to a range class. Whats next? "Why cant a SW tank? Why cant a SW cast a bubble?" srly...anoying...
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Sure you have to compared damage of striker classes vs each other, and warlock is nothing more
    Since you obviously do not play the class, whats the reason for posting here?
    Inform yourself please, TT is broken since the class exist and you can read it everywhere, damage-ping-pong is the short explanation, some player are able to onehit bosses by this
    Warlock depends to 50% to this daily as fury and damnation is puppet+TT up to 70%
  • coreus#8390 coreus Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2015
    Warlock thread again?

Scourge Warlock:
    -Dominating ACT parses/paingiver in Demogorgon, Tiamat, Heralds run, T2s since launch(mod4).

-Only class which can match the also overbuffed GWF class at BIS level in T1/T2 dungeons. (I said BIS level before someone is coming with 2k level.)

-They say they need more lifesteal before they even levelled the Temple with the amazing 20% of ls boost which will be probably a big help to the class.

-Big damage from Soul puppet. Insane imba dmg from the best daily in the game, TT.
    If its positioned right doing mind-blowing dmg, millions in seconds by muliple bosses(Lol scorpions, ecc adventurers.).

-Amazing encounters like the spammable big hitter soul scourth, hadar's grap, killing flames and dreadtheft.

Still playing the marthyr?
  • btfdbtfd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited December 2015

damage-ping-pong is the short explanation, some player are able to onehit bosses by this

@blinxon: To go into more detail I once wrote in another thread:
    btfd said:

How to use TT

You can use TT in 2 different variations. One for super fast add clearing, the other for super fast boss clearing.
    [...]
    2. Boss clearing
    Keep in mind that TT scales with buffs. In a proper rotation 1 Soul Scorch does the same amount of damage like KF at 30% Add-HP left, but can be spammed 5 times in a row. Now imagine doing a 10k hit (to keep it simple) to a TTed monster. This, with the right group, will be buffed to like 100k (just to show the principle and again to keep it simple, most of the time it's even more. My Soul Scorches went up to 800k per hit at 15-16k power with a great buff troup). Now TT takes 30% of that 100k hit -> 30k. Again buffs scale this up the same amount like before -> 300k, which is the damage all other targets receive. Let me state out again that the buffs are even higher most of the time. Now let's make use of this principle of the monster being hit by TT taking massively more damage than the monster taking your first hit: TT the boss and an add with large HP pool, communicate with your team to make them activate all their buffs at the same time and hit the add with Soul Scorch, not the boss. This way the boss will take the TT damage which is way bigger than the actual damage your soul Scorch hit does. All in all I had several runs where these buffs were high enough to onehit the first two etos Bosses with one single Soul Scorch -> TT hit. To do that you have to take either the blade spider (first boss) or one of the blade masters (second boss) from the add groups before the boss into the boss fight. This way you won't lose your sparks and have an add to start your combination right in the beginning of the fight giving you the chance to onehit without other players doing a noticable amount of damage to your targets.

In the following video you can see the principle of this tactic, but keep in mind that it was a random group without any communication, so no taking spider with me. Also Wheel of Elements on cooldown due to bad timing :(

This is the biggest TT hit of Kuro [once a very good SW, who stopped playing late mod6]

Warlock depends to 50% to this daily as fury and damnation is puppet+TT up to 70%

This is why many people think TT is bugged, whereas this depends on your personal point of view. So is it a bug which had to be explored in just a matter of time or is it a clever tactic found out by theorycrafting, which most of the players don't seem to do? Actually its (mostly) doing what it is supposed to do. Having this in mind I don't know if it's right to immediately declare it as bugged, but at least as overpowered - if you know how to use it. Still most people don't even know how crazy you can go with TT, which is why nearly nobody cares for stuff like that. However this is the only way for an SW to do some damage (except puppet), by yourself being good/skilled and getting something out of the investment of time, study, practise and AD you put into the char. Thinking about this I'd be a little upset if devs nerf TT without doing a full class rework.
    Post edited by btfd on

Sure you have to compared damage of striker classes vs each other, and warlock is nothing more

Since you obviously do not play the class, whats the reason for posting here?

Inform yourself please, TT is broken since the class exist and you can read it everywhere, damage-ping-pong is the short explanation, some player are able to onehit bosses by this

Whats your point? How do you know i dont play the class? Did i quote you? Did i ask you anything?
    I still dont think that you can compare a GWF to a SW. So lets talk about SWs and not GWFs.

edited December 2015
    btfd said:

Having this in mind I don't know if it's right to immediately declare it as bugged, but at least as overpowered - if you know how to use it.

Overpowered but not bugged? You dont have to answer.
  • btfdbtfd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 177 Arc User
    blinxon said:

btfd said:

Having this in mind I don't know if it's right to immediately declare it as bugged, but at least as overpowered - if you know how to use it.

Overpowered but not bugged? You dont have to answer.
    You can't even give it a definite answer as there are always people with different points of view. I don't really care how to call it, SW needs a rework to be more predictable, balanced and new-player/low-ilvl friendly.