test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Demogorgon Phase 2: Goristo Likes Warm Hugs!

ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
edited November 2015 in PvE Discussion
"Hello, my name is Goristo and I like warm hugs!"

What's worse than being trapped in a room with a raging bull demon who's not only a close talker, but loves hugging people...to death? Being trapped in a room with 9 other people who don't know how to tactfully avoid awkward hugs with Goristo and end up spending five frustrating minutes frantically trying to get gold on this phase.

So let's chat about Mr. Goristo here!

Mechanics are pretty simple, but there's a few and they can happen quickly and overwhelm you. Most are only fatal to you, but one critical mistake can cost your group a high score in this phase.

First, Goristo loves to be the center of attention. He'll always hang out near the center of the room, and after he does a charge he ALWAYS jumps right back to the center. So after he charges, use this time to re-position yourself. Don't go chasing after him, especially if you're melee.

Second, as far as his charges go, he randomly picks ONE person to target and charge. You'll get an orange flashing arrow pointing towards you. The key here is dealing with his charge:

WHAT YOU WANT TO DO: Aim him so he charges into a GOLD portal and takes 5% damage.
WHAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO: Aim him towards a BLACK portal, which heals him for 15% of his health.
IF YOU PANIC!!! Aim him south towards the door you came in so he doesn't hit anything. While not optimal, if you panic and he hits a black portal, it's a huge set back for the group.

Third, the GOLD portals and the BLACK portals switch after every charge phase. This is critical. If the GOLD are on the right side one time, then next time the GOLD portals will be on the left. Or you could get a zone where the portals are top and bottom, but they'll switch in the same pattern each time. It's important that you use the few seconds while you're waiting for Goristo to leap back after his charge to make sure you're near the correct side of the room.

If you're comfortable dealing with his charge attacks, position yourself on the left or right side of the room per the spawn of the portals. Also stay close to him. The closer you are to him, the faster you can orbit around him to aim the charge. If you're too far away, you won't have enough time to move the arrow. Geometry people! Can you dig it?

If you're NOT comfortable doing the charge dance with him, stand directly to the south of him. Just send the charge back towards the door. Focus more on bringing the best DPS you can, and don't stress out about awkwardly running him into a BLACK portal. If Goristo is not led into a BLACK portal, most groups should have sufficient DPS to burn him down in 5 minutes, especially if you can get lucky on a few GOLD hits.

Fourth, he has a pattern to his attacks. Charge. Charge. Insanity Beam. Charge. Charge. Insanity Beam. So after his second charge, make sure you're positioning to get back near a sanity well.

Fifth, he can be DPS'd down. This is why it's so critical to NOT hit a BLACK portal. Even if you're not very good at hitting the GOLD portals, having him heal is a far, far, far bigger set back than missing gold.

And that's it. You just rinse and repeat the same phase over and over until he dissolves into black, viscous goo.

EPIC DEMOGORGON

This is a whole 'nother ball game.The strategy changes if you want to hit gold. You can't brute force this with just DPS. Correctly positioning yourself so you can direct Goristo to the gold portal becomes your priority. Each phase there is only one single gold portal. Nobody is doing some much DPS that they can afford to not reposition themselves in between each charge. After Goristo charges, while you're waiting for him to jump back to the center, start panning your camera to watch for the next gold portal. As soon as it appears, immediately and without pause to do anything else, move to be in the correct arc so that if you get charged, you can hit the portal.

Again, there is nothing more important that moving to that arc. Cancel all casting. Stop all DPS. Don't pause for "juts one more spell". Move. Your. Butt. Failing to move and properly align a charge in this phase could very likely cost your entire team Gold on the entire Demogorgon encounter. Don't be that guy.

"Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
i7TZDZK.gif?1
Post edited by ironzerg79 on

Comments

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Simple and to the point, always the best way.

• flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    Yeah, this is what I needed :) .

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    I've done this about half a dozen times or so, but I think I've caught most of the mechanics. If anyone has something to add, please feel free.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    The hardest part about aiming him is the stupid camera. Also I think you overestimate the dps on a typical demigorgon party pair. In my experience it's not uncommon to find the DPS to be wildly inadequate to even get him down to bronze rewards (even without black portals).
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    There is a MYTH that Tanks can AGGRO Gori.

I was in a party where 1 player, who Gori kept targeting and killing, yellin at the tanks for not aggro'n him. EVERYONE has to realize, he targets RANDOMLY. EVERYONE has to line themselves up with the yellow portals.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Thanks for This, if I'd read your strategy this morning, it would have saved a couple of players from blowing a gasket. Given the level of raging, I must have been targeting him into the occasional black portal . . . . . oooops :(
  • looomislooomis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 253 Arc User
    Thanks for the guide.

I have questions:

- I think phase 2 is very easy for a GF. I always stand between golden gate and boss. If the insanity beam comes: Shield up. The result: I never miss getting him into a golden portal. Then I see my teammates and most of them are standing somewhere in Nirvana. Is it difficult for other classes to run from the sanity well to a good position in time?

- In 3rd phase, how does your At-will damage changes with madness? Is there a power/crit/armpen cutoff when madness stack hits 50? I cannot estimate if it is better to run to a sanity well from time to time or just to at-will him down.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    valwryn said:

I was in a party where 1 player, who Gori kept targeting and killing, yellin at the tanks for not aggro'n him. EVERYONE has to realize, he targets RANDOMLY. EVERYONE has to line themselves up with the yellow portals.

Exactly. This is why I would recommend for people who are new or unsure of the fight to just position themselves south near the door. It's better to miss a black portal than to hit a gold one.

The Throne of the Dwarf King uses the same "charge" mechanic on the hulks. This is also a good place for people to practice lining up the charge.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

valwryn said:

Exactly. This is why I would recommend for people who are new or unsure of the fight to just position themselves south near the door. It's better to miss a black portal than to hit a gold one.

The Throne of the Dwarf King uses the same "charge" mechanic on the hulks. This is also a good place for people to practice lining up the charge.
    @ironzerg79 on the topic of throne of the boredom gods (as I have taken to calling it, grinding for that +5 ring of sieging is incredibly boring) is it actually possible to get gold in the first phase or is it bugged? I have been in groups where we have never CC'd the hulks and hit the door every single time and we have still not gotten gold, the only thing I can think of is all hitting 1 door at a time and freeing 1 cell at a time but that requires an incredible amount of co-ordination to do. I am thinking the throne must be bugged to some extent, unless someone can correct me on it.
    I don't think it is. I think they either need to double the spawn rate of the hulks or make each door break after two hits, instead of 3.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Gold is possible in the Gate Bashing phase of Throne of Gods. The extra Hulks are dependant on the mobs...........kill them fast to get more hulks and beat the timer. Plus, make each Hulk count. :#
  • zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    I appreciate u work, but do ppl rly cant get this in first run? Its not like he has 30 atk variations. In that fight we have literaly 3 mechanis, laster, madness and charge...

This mechanic could be taught to a gorilla...

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

edited November 2015
    Majority of players is not experienced, lazy, lack of skill or many other, or all above. if they cant put even tiny efford into learning how to play, they dont deserve t2 gear, Period.
    That's exactly what I'm doing...giving people resources so they can put some effort into learning how to play.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    so this is whats going on, nice :p

i was there once its was so laggy i can barely move a bit, was oneshotted several times and have no clue what kill me. and someone write on chat that we are all .......
    Yeah, people would rather spend time in chat spouting off expletives, assuming every one was born knowing how to do the fight.

If you run into people who obviously don't know what's going on, link this thread. It's a lot easier for people to understand when they can see the higher overview, as opposed to having people yell in chat while they're getting knocked over, one-shotted and are utterly confused.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1

on the topic of throne of the boredom gods (as I have taken to calling it, grinding for that +5 ring of sieging is incredibly boring) is it actually possible to get gold in the first phase or is it bugged? I have been in groups where we have never CC'd the hulks and hit the door every single time and we have still not gotten gold, the only thing I can think of is all hitting 1 door at a time and freeing 1 cell at a time but that requires an incredible amount of co-ordination to do. I am thinking the throne must be bugged to some extent, unless someone can correct me on it.

The first phase isn't always the same. I ran two thrones in a row recently whose first phase was just protecting the clerics. Tanks aggro'd the non-golems, my TR and the dps dazed and killed the bone golems that always beeline it to the clerics no matter what. In that case the charge phase is having the hulks charge into the throne bubble, which is a lot, lot, lot easier to manage than either the gates or goristro. You can quite easily have the entire party just fight at the bubble and have no worries.

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    zibadawa said:

on the topic of throne of the boredom gods (as I have taken to calling it, grinding for that +5 ring of sieging is incredibly boring) is it actually possible to get gold in the first phase or is it bugged? I have been in groups where we have never CC'd the hulks and hit the door every single time and we have still not gotten gold, the only thing I can think of is all hitting 1 door at a time and freeing 1 cell at a time but that requires an incredible amount of co-ordination to do. I am thinking the throne must be bugged to some extent, unless someone can correct me on it.

The first phase isn't always the same. I ran two thrones in a row recently whose first phase was just protecting the clerics. Tanks aggro'd the non-golems, my TR and the dps dazed and killed the bone golems that always beeline it to the clerics no matter what. In that case the charge phase is having the hulks charge into the throne bubble, which is a lot, lot, lot easier to manage than either the gates or goristro. You can quite easily have the entire party just fight at the bubble and have no worries.

I know there are 2 different versions and atm, the way I do throne is I make my premade group and I prey to rngesus I get the purple bubble version, because I can reliably get gold/gold/gold there.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    Additional note...zone chat is to all instances. If you want your instance to change their ways, best to use say instead.

As always, nice write up zerg.
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Hi Ironzerg,

Thanks for the info,

I fought Demogorgon only 5 times.

The Goristo phase was the phase I wanted more info to understand this phase better and be more effective.

You save me a lot of time.

Oh, and do you have particular advise for a CW.

thanks again
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User

Additional note...zone chat is to all instances. If you want your instance to change their ways, best to use say instead.

As always, nice write up zerg.

U have also raid chat.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• mantera47mantera47 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User

Oh, and do you have particular advise for a CW.

This goes for everyone:

BEFORE you start attacking Goristro after he jumps back, get yourself lined up with a yellow target first. This way, if you get targeted, you don't have to move.
    mantera47 said:

This goes for everyone:

BEFORE you start attacking Goristro after he jumps back, get yourself lined up with a yellow target first. This way, if you get targeted, you don't have to move.

Alternatively, for those with sufficient mobility, align yourself so that the line from you to goristro points directly at a yellow portal. Then if you're getting targeted you just move forward and you can easily adjust his charge towards the portal without all of this camera nonsense. When your yellows are all on one side it is helpful for people to do a mixture of these two approaches so everyone gets the combat advantage from flanking.
  • romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    Goristo guide:
    step 1: Get a warlock with fabled set
    step 2: debuff any target into oblivion and buff the hell out of the warlock
    step 3: kill any boss in 10 seconds (real number)
    edited November 2015
    nobody mention demogorgon several oneshotting me through this phase? nobody has the problem. i am lagging badly so maybe i am missing something ....
    When the game queues you to run to a Sanity Well (you'll also see the purple beams), you need to get in a Sanity Well or you'll likely get one shot. I think that attack hits for 100k+.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    i cant, i stuck at lag
    Upgrade your potato.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User

When the game queues you to run to a Sanity Well (you'll also see the purple beams), you need to get in a Sanity Well or you'll likely get one shot. I think that attack hits for 100k+.

is it what is called paranoid delusions in the Drowcraft armor set :

3 of set : 50% damage resistance against paranoid delusions
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
    Well, I thought so...except I just parsed a Demogorgon run, and there was nothing called "paranoid delusions". The insanity beam is called "Hethradiah's Gaze".
    i7TZDZK.gif?1