test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spanish

oversightoversight Member Posts: 8 Arc User
Will u translate for spanish speakers? Actually i know a lot of people that dont play this game for language.

Comments

• oversightoversight Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Any1 can confirm it? For this reason i decided dont play this game, like a lot of my friends. Its very hard for us play it. I cant understand why arc translate france or italy before spanish,the second most spoken language in the world... But ok, ill contue playing another games like this but in spanish, with my friends ofc.
    That was curious to wait or directly delete from my wish list.
    Ty
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    oversight said:

Any1 can confirm it? For this reason i decided dont play this game, like a lot of my friends. Its very hard for us play it. I cant understand why arc translate france or italy before spanish,the second most spoken language in the world... But ok, ill contue playing another games like this but in spanish, with my friends ofc.

Ty

The unfortunate truth is that one of the number-crunchers probably ran estimates of how many Spanish-speaking players they have/would get, and decided that number isn't worth the cost of localizing the game to Spanish. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for bringing in as many players as possible...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    If the game suddenly booms in popularity after mod 8 is released, then anything is possible. If not, then don't hold your breath.
    Nothing then. They still playing without spanish speakers. The question is: how many more players would play if it were in spanish? I think thousand of them.. But if Arc have sufficient players without spanish speakers, always will going to win World of Warcraft in this section. See you to wow xdd
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    bioshrike said:

oversight said:

Ty

The unfortunate truth is that one of the number-crunchers probably ran estimates of how many Spanish-speaking players they have/would get, and decided that number isn't worth the cost of localizing the game to Spanish. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for bringing in as many players as possible...
    The word they're colloquially called over here would translate to "Spreadsheet-[censor will eat this anyway]ers"
    null
    I understood exactly nothing... Xdd
    Most incredible is that this game its translated to potuguese and not in spanish... Really incredible xdddd obviously i will play another game, this is totaly absurd. Portugues and italy before spanish hahahahahhahahahahahahahahhhahhsha i cant do more than laught xdddd
  • fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    oversight said:

... spanish,the second most spoken language in the world...

According to Wikipedia it's the 3rd most spoken language. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers

• lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    You don't need the game in spanish at all as long as you are in a good guild. Our avid guild "Élite Mercenaria" is only for spanish speaking players and we are always interested in helping every player even with the smallest things. We have usually between 20-40 players online and after a while you will notice that even if everything is english, that doesn't matter. :)

More info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/elite.mercenaria/
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    Other past community managers have already commented on this. It is not about how widely spoken a given language is. Its about how wide a given player base is. Being the second or third most spoken language in the world is meaningless in this context, if that same population arnt gamers.

European countries, and their languages, get priority simply because they claim a larger population of gamers. And they can do so, for no other reason, then they have the infrastructure for it. Access to computers and gaming platforms and a population that can afford to buy them. Access to reliable high speed internet so they can even connect to the game.

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    oversight said:

Most incredible is that this game its translated to potuguese and not in spanish...

This is quite normal.

As Bioshrike alluded to it probably is not deemed worth the cost at least not currently as there are no plans to localise for spanish at this time as far as I have been informed.

However as blunt as this statement is I promise you it is true: although spanish is a commonly spoken language throughout the entire americas and in various satellite nations across the world spanish is still not spoken in very prosperous of nations. Yes it is spoken buy more people than portuguese but it is not spoken by more people who are able to spend time and money on video games.

That's not to say there are not people who speak spanish as a primary language who play video games but that those who do are the vast minority of those who speak spanish.

It is really the same as saying we should all learn mandarin because it is spoken by the most people. Sure it's true but it is also useless in 90%+ nations and land mass in the world. Spanish may be spoken by more people but those people are not generally able or willing to spend money on things such as video games. On the other hand Portuguese due mainly to Brazil is a rising market in the video game industry. Every MMO I have played has localized for Portuguese. French, German and Portuguese are the three main localization every MMO seems to do. The other languages is where each MMO differs and truth be told I have seen virtually every language chosen before Spanish and likely due to the economic reasons I just went over. It may have a lot of speakers but it doesn't have a large market share.
  • martelis1981martelis1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited November 2015

Other past community managers have already commented on this. It is not about how widely spoken a given language is. Its about how wide a given player base is. Being the second or third most spoken language in the world is meaningless in this context, if that same population arnt gamers.

European countries, and their languages, get priority simply because they claim a larger population of gamers. And they can do so, for no other reason, then they have the infrastructure for it. Access to computers and gaming platforms and a population that can afford to buy them. Access to reliable high speed internet so they can even connect to the game.

They didn't a real marketing research, they did only assumptions, Did they analized every Internet provider in all the region?. Search in google about the internet in Latinoamerica, for examp. Uruguay. There are 19 latinoamerican countries that speak spanish besides a country that seems they don't know: a EUROPEAN COUNTRY called SPAIN. It's ridiculous
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited November 2015

However as blunt as this statement is I promise you it is true: although spanish is a commonly spoken language throughout the entire americas and in various satellite nations across the world spanish is still not spoken in very prosperous of nations. Yes it is spoken buy more people than portuguese but it is not spoken by more people who are able to spend time and money on video games.

Oh lol, that's true, but hey man, there is another D&D game and it's translated to Spanish, and their studio is far small than yours, so... It's a shame that you don't translate it.

BTW, I don't really care about Spanish, but I think it's a big mistake to ignore such potential market and you are in need of new players, (/irony on) isn't this "game free to play" (/irony off) so what's the problem with the non prosperous nations if this is a free game XDDD

Oh, I see, you only want rich players in your game.

:D
    Post edited by valcontar73 on
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I dont think company has the resources to answer more divergent(as spoken language) playerbase.Spanish(or any other language) translation is not the end of it.You have to give support,build forums and hire staff for that language.That means less engineers,developers or other stuff for the game.Yes company can make some money if they support more languages. Unfortunately for us non paying players,most middle-rate businnesses(except local companies) choose to stick where is less chance to go under.That means Northern America,Europe and maybe Northern and Far-East Asia(Spain is only one country in Europe which speak Spanish)
  • cardsfan2005cardsfan2005 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    @oversight, isn't Portuguese baby Spanish, could have sworn a linguist who spoke both told me that, kinda like Tagalog is also baby Spanish.
    ...yeah, baby. And English is baby German... ...with a pinch of baby Italian.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User

Oh lol, that's true, but hey man, there is another D&D game and it's translated to Spanish, and their studio is far small than yours, so... It's a shame that you don't translate it.

BTW, I don't really care about Spanish, but I think it's a big mistake to ignore such potential market and you are in need of new players, (/irony on) isn't this "game free to play" (/irony off) so what's the problem with the non prosperous nations if this is a free game XDDD

Oh, I see, you only want rich players in your game.

:D
    ambisinisterr isn't a PWE employee. That said, everything he said has been explained by Cryptic (PWE) already, and we'll know that things have changed when they release a Spanish localization. It's all about the market share... though I'll say what I've said in the past: this is a chicken or the egg problem. If you translate to Spanish, it very well could boost numbers, but they won't translate to Spanish until numbers go up. They've put thought into it though - it's all about cost-benefit. If they thought there was a more benefit than cost, they'd do it. Simple as that.
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Again, I don't care about Spanish, sure I would want the game to be translated, it will boost my foundries (selfish interest here), but you are saying that:

Polish and Turkish economies are better ones on their own than the all combined economies of Spanish language countries... to not to talk about Portugal... who is having a worst crisis than Spain itself.

Someone will find it disturbing, even insulting.

And for the statement of "cost-benefit", well, honestly, they (PWE/Cryptic) need to think a bit more, (or maybe a LOT more), status of the game actually in terms of population is very disappointing.

Btw, I don't have anything against Polish, Portugal/Brazilian or Turkish people or countries, on the contrary I highly respect them.
    Post edited by valcontar73 on
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • caunsidhcaunsidh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    I just don't understand why is it so hard to learn basic english.
    Therenil - Hunter Ranger, Stormwarden/Trapper
    3.jpg
    The problem isn't to learn basic english. The problem is that they prefer translate portuguese or italian before spanish... This is a simple insult.
    Be a baby language dont means that i know this language. But yes, a lot of portuguese speakers know spanish, why portuguese before spanish again?
    Im totally ensure that if this game would be in spanish, the community increase with thousand of new players. I dont know who said spanish players dont play for the game! Jajaja totally false, spain is one of the biggest gamers of the world... Please, dont insult me again. There a really ridiculous comments in this post...

I go to another spanish game. The biggest companies translate its game in spanish for us, the companies who wants big benefits, not simple small company without future spaectatives.... Ggwp
  • caunsidhcaunsidh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    oversight said:

Im totally ensure that if this game would be in spanish, the community increase with thousand of new players.

The real question is - would they be paying players?
    Therenil - Hunter Ranger, Stormwarden/Trapper
    3.jpg
    caunsidh said:

oversight said:

Im totally ensure that if this game would be in spanish, the community increase with thousand of new players.

The real question is - would they be paying players?
    Wrong question. Correct one:

Would the cost of locallizing to Spanish be exceeded by the additional income from Players that play the game in Spanish, but won't bother with the English version...

...or: will it net a profit.
  • snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    this is the most bizarre thread I've ever read. So you seem to be able to speak and read English clearly but are going on a tirade because you're are forced to play the game in English? I got to say, for all my all years of playing many different MMOs and playing with people from all over the world, this is the first time I seen something like this.

Im sure everyone from every country wishes the game was translated into their native language but sadly that just isn't going to happen. So you're left with two choices. Play the game as is or go find a game that is translated into your native language.
  • acro33acro33 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User

acro33 said:

oversight said:

The problem isn't to learn basic english. The problem is that they prefer translate portuguese or italian before spanish... This is a simple insult.

Be a baby language dont means that i know this language. But yes, a lot of portuguese speakers know spanish, why portuguese before spanish again?

Im totally ensure that if this game would be in spanish, the community increase with thousand of new players. I dont know who said spanish players dont play for the game! Jajaja totally false, spain is one of the biggest gamers of the world... Please, dont insult me again. There a really ridiculous comments in this post...

I go to another spanish game. The biggest companies translate its game in spanish for us, the companies who wants big benefits, not simple small company without future spaectatives.... Ggwp

I know that spanish speakers pronounce J as everyone else pronounces H, but... Every time I see someone write 'hahaha' as 'jajaja' it makes me think they are of a lesser intelligence. Surely you know that no one else but you read that in the way you intend it to sound?
    TL;DR: you know it's a "your prejudices issue", not a "global reality" one, no?!?

You don't seem to know what the word 'prejudice' means. This certainly doesn't qualify as it.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Okay, first and foremost please only use English when speaking on these forums. The community moderators can not properly moderate if they can not read the language posted. As such all non-english posts in this thread have been removed from the thread.

Secondly I am afraid this thread ran its course and I am going to close it. As previously stated Spanish is not generally a language in which it is profitable to localize for hence why most MMO's do not localize for it despite the number of people that natively speak it. I am sorry if you do not agree with the answer but that is a fact of the industry at this time and the reason Portuguese is translated first is more due to Brazil than Spain.

Most people in Europe know at least English, French or German and thus the vast majority of the European market is accounted for with those three languages. Portuguese is often done for the Brazilian market even if most games use the native Portuguese dialect. The other options are all depending on how much resources a video game company is willing to devote to localisation. While your complaint has been made that polish and another language was localized as well those localisations have since been discontinued. Right now other than the four main languages virtually all MMO's translate to there are Chinese (due to Perfect World being a parent corporation) and Russian.

In an ideal world everybody would have everything translated to their native language but we do not live in an ideal world. We live in a world where the ends have to justify the means and thus not every language can be localized and those that do have to be because there is a market and not just the number of people. Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.