test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Urgent: We need your crucial help; your views

hasteihastei Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited November 2015 in The Foundry
Dear all, in addition to Link removed due to rules about cross-linking, I would like to as a favour of having your opinions of the foundry with the following questions. Me and my university colleague are from UWA doing a project on participatory culture on games such as Neverwinter's foundry. Due to our deadline, we urgently need your vital important comments to the following questions.

Q1: Is community important to you as a player of the Foundry community, and why?
Q2: Does creating a game through Foundry give you an identity, and why?
Q3: How comfortable do you feel with the current group you game with? What do you attribute this comfort/discomfort to?
Q4: What impact has Foundry had on your life?
Q5: What is unique about Foundry compared with other games?
Q6: What do you enjoy most about Foundry, and why?
Q7: Have you experienced adverse or unwanted affects from your involvement with Foundry, and why?
Q8: Do you feel that Foundry offers you the opportunity to play or be child-like as an adult, and is such opportunity important to you, and why?
Q9: What is your primary motivation for playing Foundry?
Q10: Finally, where would you like to see the Foundry (or Neverwinter) progressing currently/in the future?

Your help and comments are greatly appreciated.
Post edited by kreatyve on

Comments

• valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    hastei said:

Q1: Is community important to you as a player of the Foundry community, and why?

The bigger the community is, the more plays you will get, so yes, the community is important. BUT, we need a healthy community towards foundry, a community that wants to play stories and adventures, regardless of the rewards.
    hastei said:

It may give you a "sensation" of indentity, you may think you are an awesome author until you find another author's work and you say to yourself "damm, this work is far better than mine!!" I feel a high respect for those authors that surprise me with their work and there are a few of them. B)
    hastei said:

Q3: How comfortable do you feel with the current group you game with? What do you attribute this comfort/discomfort to?

It's a competitive game, so is flooded with competitive gamers, and IMHO devs encourage this behavior so players waste their money to be the best of the best, well I once heard a song, it said: "less competitivity, more empathy"
    hastei said:

To learn a lot of english in a short time :P You can do foundries for your country language, but if you want to reach the world, english is a must.
    hastei said:

The opportunity to use a tool to express your creativity, to learn from other amazing authors that are around the world. It's very rewarding when you create something and a lot of people like what you have done, and of course, to learn about the mistakes you do, the players judge your work merciless, but at the same time, you need to remember that: "Different strokes, for different folks", you can never satisfy everybody.
    hastei said:

Again, you can express your creativity besides the limitations and the bugs.
    hastei said:

Q7: Have you experienced adverse or unwanted affects from your involvement with Foundry, and why?

No.
    hastei said:

Q8: Do you feel that Foundry offers you the opportunity to play or be child-like as an adult, and is such opportunity important to
    you, and why?

I'll have 80 years and I'll be a child-like adult.
    hastei said:

No matter how crazy ideas you can imagine, you can always try to build them in the foundry. But it requires certain time and experience to accomplish that.
    hastei said:

Q10: Finally, where would you like to see the Foundry (or Neverwinter) progressing currently/in the future?

A bit of love to the foundry is all we asking for. It seems that we are "the forgotten ones."
    hastei said:

Your help and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your academic interest, it's really appreciated.

We'll appreciate even more if you try one of our foundries :P
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    hastei said:

Community isn't the biggest draw of the foundry. While it's nice to having the other authors who post here to riff with, whats more important for me are the 'plays' .. I.e. "why am I doin all this work if no one will play it?" or to an author: the readers.
    It gives identity to the 'author' of the 'script'.. I wouldn't say that person is 'me' anymore than any of the characters I play ingame are 'me'. (they arent)
    ? While I don't *know* the people i game with/the community the way you would know someone IRL, they aren't strangers. What an odd question. I wonder what bias you are leading towards?
    I played the game for over a year before opening the foundry. I find the foundry a much more satisfying way to waste time. Instead of spending 3 hours gaming, I've spent 3 hours 'creating' something.
    It's more advanced than say, creating a map for a first person shooter game.. I would compare it to writing a short story or novel. It's half 'architecture' and half 'tending a garden as it grows' (two ways of story-weaving)
    the rewards. I'm only doing it for the gratification of having a D20 ioun stone, a cool Silverback bear, and a book imp companion.
    When I started writing, people were buying leadership armies and making millions. I've made less than 100k for all my hours spent learning the foundry + creating featured quests. .. so while the AD(currency) reward is lacking, I'm hoping the prestige of the rare tokens will make up for it.
    Do you mean alcoholism? I hear authors suffer from it. But, No. ... No.
    Q8: Do you feel that Foundry offers you the opportunity to play or be child-like as an adult, and is such opportunity important to you, and why?
    In my experience those people who've lost touch with their inner child aren't very enjoyable people. I enjoy the opportunity to 'play' in all things.
    dollar dollar bills yall. waiting on that job offer from cryptic. ;D
    See all my other posts that I've ever made ever. On this board and the last.
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Yes, I am a security database engineer and I don't work on any project alone at work. Why would I not want a team to assist me develop projects in the Foundry? The community is not only there to assist with testing but also they are the target audience.
    I have an identity. The Foundry is more or less a tool to be improved upon. If the developer is unwilling to make the tools better, I find ways to accomplish tasks at the user level.
    I would not call it a group, I have some friends, and one who I have been with in Star Trek Online since 2011. There is no discomfort among friends.
    Much like the games, it is there as a creative release, or just nice to mess about with, I don't see it as "life altering content".
    The Neverwinter Foundry has a much better interface than STO ever did. Star Trek was the alpha and beta test for Neverwinter Foundry. It would be nice if they could include the same 3D editing for STO, but I don't think it will ever happen. It would be nice to have this ability in other online games as well.
    Seems like this question is a repeat or close to the same as questions above. I use the Foundry as a tool and I play test missions created by others. It all comes down to my life as a debugger. I like to tweak and modify games, it is rare when the developer adds a game editor.
    All the time. People are not perfect, why should anyone expect a program to run without fault? The Foundry has broken in the past, it will break again in the future. It only becomes adverse to a struggling author who has no idea, when the Foundry will be fixed.
    This question is worded badly. It assumes everyone using the Foundry is an adult or considers themselves to be mature. Immaturity is a relative point of view. The question, I believe you are asking is; Do you abuse the Foundry for you own needs? No. I don't use it as an opportunity to make game profit.
    Learning experience.
    The developer should use the Foundry to incorporate new material submitted by the player as paid content. The author could receive a one time contractors fee for writing up content. Then the collective content could be purchased by other players to make the game more profitable. Certain restrictions and limitations would need to be studied to make these "expansions" appeal to the players over and above the limited content currently available in the Foundry. I see the current Foundry as missed opportunity for the game developer.
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
  • lovepeaslovepeas Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    Yes, I find the camaraderie, help, and input invaluable. I also find myself challenged to push the envelop and create better things after being inspired by the amazing work that others are doing.

I do not think it gives me an identity, but it does give me a creative outlet so that I can express myself.

Sadly, I do not have a current group that I game with.

It gives me something to do during down time that I find more fulfilling than staring at the TV. I wouldn't call it impactful or live changing, but it is entertaining.

It gives me the tools to bring my ideas to life in a way that I would not be able to do in other mediums. Not necessarily better than a short story or painting, but different.

Hearing that others have enjoyed my work. I enjoy the challenge and feel a sense of accomplishment when I find a way to entertain others they way they want without sacrificing the story I want to tell. I particularly enjoy when other authors appreciate my work. Why? Because other authors understand the challenges and opportunities that the foundry provides and appreciate it differently than someone who has not used the tool.

No

Sure. Why? Although the concept of play is often interpreted as child-like or frivolous, it has been proven to be necessary for all ages to maintain a healthy life. Storytelling is one of the most ancient forms of art. It knows no age requirement and is practiced by all ages.

I play through foundry quests to help other authors get the reviews they need, to be challenged and amazed by great works, and just for the sheer enjoyment of a well crafted story.

I'd like to see the Foundry have a dedicated team to keep it alive and relevant. But if that is too much to wish for, then I would like to see two things addressed: Make playing through foundries more enticing to players and make the foundry listing more fair so that it is not always dominated by the same handful of quests and easier for someone to find new, promising stories.

Good luck on your assignment.
    The Delusions Quartet
    Act 1: Nightmare on Market Street
    Act 2: My Best Friend's Evil Wedding
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    1. Yes, without a community how could it work?
    2. I am not sure what you mean, social media is changing the way we interact and viewed such as YouTube and Facebook. Every time you post a photo, or update your status, you are adding to a channel viewed mostly by your closest friends. I don't see the Foundry as the same type of social network.
    3. People are people, back in the 70s when I was a little girl, CB radio was the way people liked to communicate anonymous with "handles" instead of names. The times change and so does the technology. People remain a constant factor. People who bother me, don't because I don't let them bother me.
    4. I read a news blog about the Foundry roughly 3 years ago. They were trying it out on Star Trek Online with plans to add it to Neverwinter. I needed to learn about it if I was going to use it. I joined the Star Trek community in order to learn. However I really don't care for science-fiction, I write about fantasy because you can make a lot of mistakes with the "fake science" talk. No one can tell you are wrong when it comes to casting a spell.
    5. Other games don't have the Foundry so that question is problematic. The Foundry is unique as it is only used by 2 Cryptic games.
    6. Story telling, I wrote some stories and my husband and I met playing D&D in the 80s. Currently I am making a Foundry about one of his tales.
    7. There is negative results in everything we do. Cryptic and PWE wants us on these forums singing their praises and is highly sensitive about being criticized. We always rant about things we need in order to progress. Without proper feedback they will fail.
    8. This type of question is somewhat insulting to game players. As I said, I was already an adult when I met my husband playing D&D at his house. If you were to ask the same question of people who play Bridge, Poker, or Rummy every Friday night, I think you would get the same response. Also you don't "play" the Foundry because it is an editor not the game. When I play any RP game it is an escape from reality.
    9. I believe this was covered in #6, I like creative writing and wrote fantasy stories.
    10. The developers need to be more vocal and not leave authors in the dark stumbling around with a semi-functional flashlight. Currently when they update the game modules, it shuts the Foundry down anywhere from days to weeks at a time. By now, they should be fully aware of how we react, to bugs that go unchecked. They need to have a smoother transition when it comes to updates.

I hope that helps with your plans.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Thread restored. I apologize for the confusion. There was a small issue and I did over-react a small bit. I am sorry.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    I have some questions about the project: are you a student or a faculty member? Have you had your project approved by a IRB? Are you planning on producing a paper or other project with this data?
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • redfireeeredfireee Member Posts: 8 Arc User

Yes. Without it, I wouldn't get plays, I wouldn't get feedback on my quests to help me improve them further, and probably most importantly for me, I wouldn't have any of the awesome quests that I didn't build available to play. That said, I don't let it define what I build. I build the quest as something I would enjoy and hope someone else does too.

It definitely has helped. While not directly related to the foundry, it resulted in me meeting quite a few friends with similar interests. As a heavily introverted person, that usually isn't an easy thing.

Very comfortable. The group I most actively interact with is pretty small, but I'd say that's a good thing since I don't do well in large crowds.

Let's see, where to start. When I first started playing Neverwinter, I thought I had no creative talent of any kind. Now I'm considering writing a full length novel at some point in the future. It's also helped me figure out what my interests actually are.

Most games don't have any sort of quest creation system at all.

That's hard to say. I enjoy everything about it.

Nope. Only positive things.

Yes, but probably not quite in the way you meant. The main character of my main foundry campaign is an 8 year old girl named Vlathis. Being a planned 12 part campaign with 11/12 parts already released, I've had quite a few chances to write her in the foundry and think from her perspective in order to do so. Not to mention the fact that she ended up becoming my main character in the roleplay I now do in Neverwinter, also a result of the foundry.

Fun. I thought it looked like an interesting unique thing, which actually is why I took interest in Neverwinter in the first place. While it wasn't quite as elaborate as I had hoped, it still proved to be quite fun to use.

Honestly, I'll take anything that isn't removing existing features.

My ideal however, would be that they stop creating game content completely and assign those resources to making new foundry assets and systems, including but not limited to boss fights and loot improvements.

• franshut1934franshut1934 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I like the games i foundry.They increase my insigts in playng the game