test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So that's the lag everyone keeps talking about...

unholydragonkingunholydragonking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
I knew things got choppy in the Campaign questing zones sometimes but honestly Cryptic, isn't this going beyond a joke now? I had a frustrating experience today in the Dread Ring (This is not limited to just that area I'm sure) and found my attacks were extremely laggy and sluggish.

Firstly trying to lift my shield to block incoming attacks is almost pointless, because by the time I have it up to block anything, the whole reason I wanted to raise it in the first place has come and gone.

Secondly, trying to attack anything I can clearly see that my attacks are taking a full half second, to .75 seconds to register, I can use line breaker assault (which normally puts the mobs behind me a little ways) and still have time to turn around before I see their health bars drop!

This is completely atrocious performance for an online MMO! I remember when there was absolutely nothing wrong with those zones what so ever, but it feels like ever since you've launched Neverwinter for the Xbox, you've continually grown more lax and willing to just 'let things go'. Especially for the PC Neverwinter.

How about you stop trying to churn out more 'New' Content, if you can call new questing zones with recycled dungeon maps, new content... and actually fix some of the content you currently have. Because it desperately needs it.

Oh and if you were wondering, no, it's not due to my connection. I'll just leave this screen grab of my pingtest from while I was in the Dread Ring here...

Comments

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    dread ring and stronghold has issues, it has nothing to do with machines or connections..

I dont even need to test.. I know this because I can go into Sharandar.. with high graphics and have much , MUCH less latency then either of those places.

It might have to do with the zone size and the amount of information being shared, that always seems to be a issue in this game.

• lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I can't remember prior to Mod 6 there being a problem with Dread Ring specifically with regards to lag. I don't know what changed but after Mod 6 launched I don't think there has been one day (and I do DR lair on 3 toons every single day) that there isn't lag in the zone, no matter how empty or full the instance is. Eight months down the line and one major network maintenance and the problem in DR still persists. How is this possible?
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    Some people have speculated the lag in DR is due to all the attacking zombies that pile up in the zone as a byproduct of the HP increase in Mod 6. The guards no longer do enough damage to keep them cleared out, so there are a lot of extra bodies that generate data in the zone.

I don't know if this could be the issue, but the lag definitely started with Mod 6.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User

Some people have speculated the lag in DR is due to all the attacking zombies that pile up in the zone as a byproduct of the HP increase in Mod 6. The guards no longer do enough damage to keep them cleared out, so there are a lot of extra bodies that generate data in the zone.

I don't know if this could be the issue, but the lag definitely started with Mod 6.

More zombies = greater delay, especially when you're on a crappy ISP like me.

Clearing them out => faster gameplay until they re-pile...

But it's not _all_ the issue...
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User

No, just no...

I get lag in sharandar even. I get no lag when I jump to an empty instance, even with a hoard of zombies that killed off the guards.
  • subnoctesubnocte Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    Dread Ring is always laggy for me. I'll get rubber banding when I'm solo fighting two mobs. There's always a 3-5 second delay before I can interact with npcs/items too.
  • unholydragonkingunholydragonking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    subnocte said:

There's always a 3-5 second delay before I can interact with npcs/items too.

This.

I get this all the god damn time.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    During the 2x RP the devs decided to refine the lag to mythic. I can't play atm due to the laggyness :(
  • vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    We'll see big problems when Underdark hits and introduces HE in DR.
  • nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    I also think some of the massed zombies are due to the gate guards not going back to their posts when idle. I've seen a bunch of times the guards are strung out on the paths near the gate, then 20+ zombies at the gate. The guards are too far away to deal with the zombies, and the zombies just mass.

Solutions to the above, not sure how easy it is to do in this engine:
    1) Put a lifetime timer on the spawned zombies -- after 2 minutes of life, they auto-expire
    2) Put a script on the gate guards so that if idle, return to spawn point. (Or, maybe even just kill and let them auto-res back at gate?)
  • dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Zombies arent the problem.20 30 even 100 mobs cant do that much lag.We do dragon runs in WOD with 40 people(1 CW put more pressure to server than those zombies) but it doesnt affect the people which stays in Tiamat door or base camp.Also this lag happens in even empty Dvarwen Valley Maps
  • alpehansalpehans Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    It's so obviously that their gameengine/servers/connection cant handle it anymore. Just try doing the Event in a full PE instance now...... its Dreadring lag all over again. 3-4 sec delay to talk to npc's.

My netgraph atm is showing a send ping of a stable 30-40 , but receiving , jumping all over the place from 800 -> 40000000.
    But upgrading Hardware etc costs money , so it will NEVER be fixed :(
  • kaedennnkaedennn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 361 Arc User
    you need to have a "A" in ping test to start playing neverwinter , so look at your internet settings/drivers ...
    and im not saying it's not laggy , today is unplayable !