test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Questions: Story Arc Options, Maps, and Details vs. Terrain

dzaimsdzaims Member Posts: 86 Arc User
I'll probably have a ton of annoying questions, being that the links in the tutorial post are dead. Here's the first batch of them:

A) So you come up with a quest, but you want to give the player/s the option of thwarting the objective of the quest giver. For example, cultists trying to gate in a demon, and you're supposed to kill the cultists and screw up the ritual. How could you give the player the option of switching sides, and getting the quest objective chest after gating in the demon?

B) Given the party-splitting bug when going between maps, will the brave few Foundry content-runners object to quests that happen on one map?

C) Stupid one here; Any way to tilt details to go with the slope of terrain? <- I'm sure that will be an easy one..
Ancient Spirits officer

NW-DM9Pj62ZK 'Bear with Me'
NW-DOPPZAYKQ 'Retirement Plans'
NW-DKJMLS8OQ 'Sleepy in Cea Tull'

Comments

• imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    A) Make the actual quest-ending objective an object interact or waypoint. Use dialog and components (rather than objectives) to split the story and guide the player(s) through the quest, with both forks ending at the same spot, where, regardless of which path they chose, they still interact with the same object or reach the same waypoint to end the quest.

B) I try not to build my quests around bugs. Build what you want. Personally, due to the caps on details, costumes, encounters, etc., I find it hard to build a good quest on one map, but it certainly can be done, especially if you're making a shorter quest.

C) All details can be rotated in any direction. It's easiest to do in 3D edit mode, because you can see how everything lines up. Be aware: not all details have facings on all sides. Sometimes, if your rotate, it will expose holes in the detail's architecture.
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    A) you can see how this is done on my quest "the black pearl"

at the stage where you have to release the ship from the tractor beams, the objective is
    "release the ship" but in order to interact with the beams to release it, you need an item, the "dispel magic stone"
    the dispel stone can be acquired in 5 different ways.. (dungeoneering, religion, nature, thievery, or arcana skill.

that's just one of the many ways you can 'split' a story path =D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.