test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Note on Active Companion Bonuses in PvP

goatsharkgoatshark Member Posts: 23 Arc User
The following was released as a blog, but I wanted to make sure it made its way to the forums as well:

Hey folks, wanted to stop by and give you some information about Active Companion Bonuses (ACBs) in PvP maps. First, a few quick points:

* We did not intend to turn ACBs on for Domination PvP and they will be turned off in an upcoming build.
* We DID want these to work for Stronghold PvP and they will be left on there.

One of our goals with Stronghold PvP was to make sure it was inclusive for people of all skill levels; this isn’t meant to be the expert check that you might find in Domination. As such, we understand that some of the companions (Pig comes to mind) have attacks that are just too brutal in PvP. However, most of the ACBs are ok in the non-hyper competitive mode of Stronghold Siege.

That said, we do know that some of the ACBs need to be monitored and probably adjusted. We will be paying attention to how things go in Stronghold Siege to help gauge those changes. Also, please do post your feedback! If you see things that feel broken or need to be adjusted, let us know! We want companions to have meaning in Stronghold Siege, but we don’t want to break the experience.

To say it again, Domination is meant to be a different experience than Stronghold Siege. To reinforce that, ACBs will be turned off soon in Domination, and left on in Stronghold Siege.

Scott Shicoff
Lead Designer

Comments

• grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    Will the pig change be coming in this upcoming build also? And more importantly is there any discussion happening in regards to drain glyphs?

Also in regards to siege, alot of players are disgruntled about being farmed by high geared players, would it plausible to have a seperate queue for newer/beginner players? (anyone below 2k gear rating for example.)
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    Pets in any PvP are broken, even some bonuses that arent broken by itself are broken in combination with specific classes or powers, and increase investment REQUIRED to participate in PvP(at least in some other role than a rag ppl wipe their feet on) and should be removed, on top of that it forces ppl to have 2 sets of pets for pvp and pve, stronghold pvp is dead as it is, removal of pets might help a bit

i challenge you to try to kill a good Paladin with enough defensive pets(rust monster) and smth like blacksmith, i doubt that even the whole cryptic office could kill a BiS paladin controlled by a good player

personally i wont participate in any PvP event that includes pets

• fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    grimah said:

Also in regards to siege, alot of players are disgruntled about being farmed by high geared players, would it plausible to have a seperate queue for newer/beginner players? (anyone below 2k gear rating for example.)

I don't think they even see that or care. it's pretty casual in Stronghold pvp supposedly.

"One of our goals with Stronghold PvP was to make sure it was inclusive for people of all skill levels; this isn’t meant to be the expert check that you might find in Domination."

If they wanted to make a PvP mode that was strictly based on skill then a good way to have done it would be to eliminate all gear and pets from competition. Instead they did the opposite and fed us this line.
  • guarrrrrrrdguarrrrrrrd Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    what about GG ?
  • goldmoon#5670 goldmoon Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    You need to understand current situation is broken pet powers combine with broken class powers.
    I have no problem with pets in PvP but maybe let's fix some broken stuffs first?
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    sorry but in time the same experience still live: former exploiters, botters and premades (we know who) dominate and destroy the game! no much change...so

where is it the perma bans? where is it the clean of ad washed? where is it the less lack of communication? where is it the solve a bazilion bugs and no more important where is it the DUNGEONS???
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    As far as i would really post a list of overpowered companions and why they are considered so i really dont think its worth my time anymore. We will monitor is a sign that nothing will be changed. Bring back the old dungeons and leave stronghold pvp as it is now, that kind of lag cant be fixed anyways
    Regardless companions, which are broken no matter what can be said, please really take a look at the lag. Its really really unbearable
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Any particular reason it took 3 days to come to the forums? Or was it just Friday afternoon guilt?
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    goatshark said:

The following was released as a blog, but I wanted to make sure it made its way to the forums as well:

Hey folks, wanted to stop by and give you some information about Active Companion Bonuses (ACBs) in PvP maps. First, a few quick points:

* We did not intend to turn ACBs on for Domination PvP and they will be turned off in an upcoming build.
    * We DID want these to work for Stronghold PvP and they will be left on there.

One of our goals with Stronghold PvP was to make sure it was inclusive for people of all skill levels; this isn’t meant to be the expert check that you might find in Domination. As such, we understand that some of the companions (Pig comes to mind) have attacks that are just too brutal in PvP. However, most of the ACBs are ok in the non-hyper competitive mode of Stronghold Siege.

That said, we do know that some of the ACBs need to be monitored and probably adjusted. We will be paying attention to how things go in Stronghold Siege to help gauge those changes. Also, please do post your feedback! If you see things that feel broken or need to be adjusted, let us know! We want companions to have meaning in Stronghold Siege, but we don’t want to break the experience.

To say it again, Domination is meant to be a different experience than Stronghold Siege. To reinforce that, ACBs will be turned off soon in Domination, and left on in Stronghold Siege.

Scott Shicoff
    Lead Designer

Scott,

I dont see any rationale on how companions make it more "inclusive for people of all skill levels"... This makes no sense to me and only FURTHER increases the "gear gap" between casuals and the "hyper competative" pvpers. Really is just lame.

It also adds unnecessary stress on the servers...

This is a stupid change to be frank. Adds ZERO real value to the game at all, only negatives. The only players who MIGHT complain about this dont realize how bad it is to have it in the game.

Its like a 5 year old crying about not getting to eat candy whenever they want... well as adults we know that it isnt good for their health as well as causes cavities.

Companions are just like that. Horrendous for PVP, the players that know, know. The players that dont get it, are 5 year olds who just want to eat candy 24/7 - they just dont know what they dont know. Im sorry but its the truth.
    twelve days after: COMPANIONS still ACTIVE in every pvp
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    hquadros said:

sorry but in time the same experience still live: former exploiters, botters and premades (we know who) dominate and destroy the game! no much change...so

where is it the perma bans? where is it the clean of ad washed? where is it the less lack of communication? where is it the solve a bazilion bugs and no more important where is it the DUNGEONS???

I couldn't agree more. I stopped playing for about 6 months, thinking by the time i come back, these exploiters will be history. To my surprise they are still playing, still unpunished, still ruining the game. They are forcing me, to spend hundreds of Dollars, just to have fun in pvp... while at the same time they have spent nothing. In my opinion, besides companion boni, this is the most 'unbalanced' aspect of the game/pvp... and it really shouldn't be this way.

• zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    Dev Vader "I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further."
  • abelcoeurdacierabelcoeurdacier Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Seriously guys you live in a dream, players do not stop to tell you to stop doing "pay to win" pvp game , to balance classes and you, you announce that you're going to see if the companions will not unbalance stronghold?
    But you need to wake up gentlemen developers!

To be clear your pvp help only the players who pay and put on active companions bonus only going to amplify the phenomenon.
    Stop smoking illegal substances and begin balance the classes.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Tbh. It is from near no importance anymore how bad things are and if they get worse...
    Queing for PVP just proves that its dead
    Near no queues popping and if you get matched the groups are not balanced
    Theres only few ppl left going PVP
    Dead....
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

Seriously guys you live in a dream, players do not stop to tell you to stop doing "pay to win" pvp game , to balance classes and you, you announce that you're going to see if the companions will not unbalance stronghold?
    But you need to wake up gentlemen developers!

To be clear your pvp help only the players who pay and put on active companions bonus only going to amplify the phenomenon.
    Stop smoking illegal substances and begin balance the classes.

Yeah I don't agree with the class balancing issue. I don't think it's a class thing, it's a BiS paywall thing and an ILS balancing thing within domination matches.