test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Module 8 Dev Resource Allocation

dersidiusdersidius Member Posts: 452 Arc User
edited October 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Keep in mind, this question will have no bearing on what actually happens, but for the sole purpose of gathering information, I'd like to know..

Would the commmunity Prefer:

A ) A module of New Content

or

B ) A module devoted strictly to Bug Fixes, and Class Balance; No new content added

or

C ) 50/ 50

DERSIDIUS
ABSLOLUTE 16px-Cross_within_circle_2.svg.png RANK SEVEN

Module 8 Dev Resource Allocation 91 votes

A module of New Content; Small Bug Fixes, Minor Class Balance
14%
cqzm1nnemo314mok33rickcase276khaymanbbb44lin0rphrendonspiritbreakersmurrkrowd66723225wisper2048pbrand45gevmarcus 13 votes
A module devoted strictly to Bug Fixes, and Class Balance; No new content added
53%
dreamhuntressxogarioustaeldornhyakusekaineilburtonarcofortep12arabaturdersidiusgrimahcaycepollardregenerdehalbowitzamveksuddenlyslowahrukinmistranstrous1kromryla14nmorenthar 49 votes
50/50 on Both options; Half new content(Tia-mat Expansion) Moderate Bug Fix and Class Balance.
31%
lyaiseblazious11quistranachtarbouilleladersantralafaxmynaamandarkiskolatmasterquaranaxgankdalf#8991ayrouxchartos#6469tamsirlidiandarlo4ragnarstarbigamoidontwinitskksilvetazjaotutshinlogoslokiyo 29 votes

Comments

• oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    New content brings new players. New players brings new money.
    Bug fixes keep older players playing. Old players already spent their money and are unlikely to spend more.

The answer will be obvious, depending on who you ask. Devs/PWE/Cryptic will say new content. Existing players will say bug fixes. Guess who wins.
  • dersidiusdersidius Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    In truth I'm hoping there's more players who want bug fixes then new content.

IMO (I'm no game maker expert)

It'd be more lucrative to fix everything in 1 module ,

Add minor content (say re-launch of old dungeons) + new PvP maps for dom and / or game type variety

advertise as a game relaunch and rake in sales from new / old members and pave the way for future growth

DERSIDIUS
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    ^ As long as Foundry fixes + Rewards are included in 'Bug Fixes' ;D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    The people have spoken, or at least some of em have, er....A few of em have....
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    well.. new content that actually IS new and doesnt rehash old areas, would make the bugs go away , because no one will play them.

You forget the best option though.. DOESNT matter, as barely anyone will be here to play it.

well.. new content that actually IS new and doesnt rehash old areas, would make the bugs go away , because no one will play them.

You forget the best option though.. DOESNT matter, as barely anyone will be here to play it.

I'd appreciate it if you kept the thread constructive!

But feel free to vote on your stance

DERSIDIUS
  • cjh1983cjh1983 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 229 Arc User
    It might not even matter at this point
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User

+1
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    It is much too late in the game for them to change the path that Underdark is going. However, I really hope that after Underdark, they take some time off new content, to focus on fixing some bugs and balancing the economy before working on another major module. Maybe give the foundry some much needed love too.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • hit410hit410 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    I know thats not how it currently works but they should fix bugs and balance classes without the need of a new module.
    You know, everyones been saying "It's to late" "Can't be done now"; and that would also include myself.

But bottom line is (Black Desert is coming out VERY soon now) if they dont change now regardless of it being too late or not. It's game over.

DERSIDIUS
    kreatyve said:

It is much too late in the game for them to change the path that Underdark is going. However, I really hope that after Underdark, they take some time off new content, to focus on fixing some bugs and balancing the economy before working on another major module. Maybe give the foundry some much needed love too.

dersidius said:

Keep in mind, this question will have no bearing on what actually happens, but for the sole purpose of gathering information, I'd like to know..

Hopefully, it'll pave the way for at least 1 module of fixes

DERSIDIUS
  • gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    50/50 on Both options; Half new content(Tia-mat Expansion) Moderate Bug Fix and Class Balance.
    This game always need new content because the content they release gets really boring only within 2-3 weeks. I can imagine a huge player drop without new content every 3 months and if it would take 6 months, well yeah I think that would be really bad.

On the other side, new content isn't really fun to play if half of the stuff is broken. I'm not sure what the reason behind delays on fixing the top game breaking bugs is. Like Pally broken powers and Elven battle and stuff like that. I don't understand why these bugs don't get any attention at all for months.

The main problem here is not enough devs to cover what needs to be covered. Maybe the best thing would be to release mod8 and then make sure you have the old dungeons ready for release (shouldn't take much time) and release those 3 months after mod8. And do some bug fixing after mod8 release.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

This game always need new content because the content they release gets really boring only within 2-3 weeks. I can imagine a huge player drop without new content every 3 months and if it would take 6 months, well yeah I think that would be really bad.

On the other side, new content isn't really fun to play if half of the stuff is broken. I'm not sure what the reason behind delays on fixing the top game breaking bugs is. Like Pally broken powers and Elven battle and stuff like that. I don't understand why these bugs don't get any attention at all for months.

The main problem here is not enough devs to cover what needs to be covered. Maybe the best thing would be to release mod8 and then make sure you have the old dungeons ready for release (shouldn't take much time) and release those 3 months after mod8. And do some bug fixing after mod8 release.

Well what I'm hoping for is 1 "Maintenance module" every 5 modules perhaps? I understand the necessity of new content, but the "to-do" list on bug fixes is getting higher and higher.

DERSIDIUS
    edited October 2015
    dersidius said:

Well what I'm hoping for is 1 "Maintenance module" every 5 modules perhaps? I understand the necessity of new content, but the "to-do" list on bug fixes is getting higher and higher.
    Haha, every 5 modules? I really don't think this game will live that long. But do they really need 3-4 months to fix stuff with an "Maintenance module"? It sounds like so much time. They should just put EVERYTHING on hold for 3 weeks and get ALL the devs to fix broken stuff and just delay the next module for that 3 weeks. Right now it seems like they don't have a single dev working on fixes.

dersidius said:

Haha, every 5 modules? I really don't think this game will live that long. But do they really need 3-4 months to fix stuff with an "Maintenance module"? It sounds like so much time. They should just put EVERYTHING on hold for 3 weeks and get ALL the devs to fix broken stuff and just delay the next module for that 3 weeks. Right now it seems like they don't have a single dev working on fixes.

You seem to really, really understimate the size of the to-do bug list... I could right a bug log the size of a PH.D thesis paper with all the bugs that need addressing...

Not to mention the QA team dosen't actually play the game and are more often then not stumped when trying to replicate bugs.

DERSIDIUS
    dersidius said:

dersidius said:

You seem to really, really understimate the size of the to-do bug list... I could right a bug log the size of a PH.D thesis paper with all the bugs that need addressing...

Not to mention the QA team dosen't actually play the game and are more often then not stumped when trying to replicate bugs.
    Hehe maybe I've got used to the bugs and don't get bothered as much anymore by most of them. I think if they fix the 20-30 most annoying and game breaking bugs, then we would be good enough for now. And then maybe they can take 2-3 weeks after next module and fix some more bugs. :P

the new module will have

dersidius said:

dersidius said:

Hehe maybe I've got used to the bugs and don't get bothered as much anymore by most of them. I think if they fix the 20-30 most annoying and game breaking bugs, then we would be good enough for now. And then maybe they can take 2-3 weeks after next module and fix some more bugs. :P
    The new module will have its own bugs lmao.

DERSIDIUS
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    dersidius said:

You know, everyones been saying "It's to late" "Can't be done now"; and that would also include myself.

But bottom line is (Black Desert is coming out VERY soon now) if they dont change now regardless of it being too late or not. It's game over.

black desert said will be buy to play in na/eu so it is not in exact direct competition (but i agree a LOT of people will go there when it launches). in addition there are some really nice and enjoyable free to play games that are around right now which are indeed in direct competition.
    yokki1 said:

dersidius said:

black desert said will be buy to play in na/eu so it is not in exact direct competition (but i agree a LOT of people will go there when it launches). in addition there are some really nice and enjoyable free to play games that are around right now which are indeed in direct competition.
    I don't want to talk about another game on these forums to much, but it's a one time box fee which for what your getting will definantly be very popular

Bottom line is,

The dev team has been doing VERY well recently, we just need to step up another notch.

DERSIDIUS
  • dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    What is even point of this poll?Are you really that bored?Dont you have anything else to do.All businesses have some sort of business plan which controls how many workers(engineers,coders,handymen,hamsters,wizards) needed to where and how much will it cost for the company.Even some mad genius CEO will not listen bored players.

For your question,new mod brings new money,new blood and new avenues to pay for older players to keep game running.Most of real players already found some sort of workaround from bugs(other class,other paragon path,other skill,other profession etc.) or accepted them as part of the gameplay.Answer is pretty clear from this side of the window

dsn1118 said:

What is even point of this poll?Are you really that bored?Dont you have anything else to do.All businesses have some sort of business plan which controls how many workers(engineers,coders,handymen,hamsters,wizards) needed to where and how much will it cost for the company.Even some mad genius CEO will not listen bored players.

For your question,new mod brings new money,new blood and new avenues to pay for older players to keep game running.Most of real players already found some sort of workaround from bugs(other class,other paragon path,other skill,other profession etc.) or accepted them as part of the gameplay.Answer is pretty clear from this side of the window

I completely disagree, a game bugged and unbalanced get a bad nomea... they/we are still paying for the HAMSTER delivered with Mod 6. Population is VERY low. They NEED to fix and balance the game and clean their name, they can't live on peaks from Mods, they need a first a solid/paying userbase. Peaks don't pay, players consume and leave just after.
    Once the game is completely fixed, and all the old stripped content is re-added, they can re-establish credibility with old players that left, and also pave the way for new players by advertising as a re-launch.

DERSIDIUS
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Old players left, and new players leave for the same reason. Bugs.

Things that don't make sense.

Every single time the player goes "Hrmm. That doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't it be like 'this' instead?".. They add up.

I remember my first playthrough, I said it all the time. There were lots of things I would have streamlined. I had an active guild, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, so I figured the endgame payoff would be worth Neverwinter's .. idiosyncrasies.

Now that I'm jaded all I see are the faults. =(

A few examples;
    - Double Invoke (we're entering month 3? of this bug?) When you click a button and nothing happens. How many other games would allow a (seemingly?) small bug used by EVERY PLAYER, EVERY DAY to continue this long?
    - Allowing the exploits to survive for so long/go unpunished. (Gem crafting without marks, Resonators, Bots, Goldspam in PE, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc)
    - ECC. The ECC door has been broken since day 1. If it was so easy to turn off all the other dungeons, turn this one off too.
    - Crafting. Never made sense. Hope the masterwork is a better attempt.
    - Achievements are nonexistant. Some titles for some things, but largely unimplemented. Why bother to explore a world if you can't get something to show-off your travels.
    - Collection points? ..Also ill-thought out. Ties into ^achievements and the largely wasted (J)ournal screen
    - Rewards/Satisfaction for playing.. This is NW's current crisis. Why login? .. To do the same things I've always done for less reward? .. That's the definition of mundane. Hopefully the Underdark comes with a solution to the AD woes. =/
    - The Foundry - NW's best asset, lies ignored in an old garage, waiting for an antique dealer to find it.

^^ All of this permeates a players experience... All of this needs to be fixed before NW has any kind of 'real' retention of players (other than D&D fans)
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • mattsacremattsacre Member Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    D. Old previously working content (no matter how badly) back in with attendant AD generation. Then bug fix's and performance stable and the AD costs fixed with all sinks removed. Then class balance and skills/trees fixed (based on PvE not PvP). Then whatever wizbang content they got, roll it out and then "balance" pvp IN pvp (no nerfing etc. to pve to match pvp needs) if pvp needs "fixed" disable/enable whatever you need IN pvp, not pve

That's how it's done logically, get your foundation in first, test it until it good. Then you add the next layer of fill, make sure it too is tamped down and good. Then you add the paving surface that everyone is going to be traveling for yrs (if you got the foundation right).THEN you add the signs, stripping and the exits. When all else is done, and your roadway to the future is well established, THEN you allow the road side adverts and neon flash in to tell you ALL about the newest CONTENTcasino, the new RESAURANTclass, the improved FUELING STATIONfeat tree or the MOTELfeature add.
    Hoping that they'll devote a module to fixes before the game gets shutdown from inactivity

DERSIDIUS
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    sadly, almost nothing in game is rewarding to do.. even those things that are more anti bot then others.

So WHERE is the argument against getting actual rewards for doing dungeon runs?

I mean a 1% drop chance at a artifact isnt exactly going to make anyone rich, with a few lucky rng HAMSTER getting it thats all.