test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Local Foundry Editor

instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
One of the many inconveniences of creating/editing a foundry is the extended load time it takes to "Play Map" or "Play Story" or "Play from Here".

A local editor should be made available. As in: the editor is completely independent of Cryptic servers. This would facilitate much faster load times while testing a Foundry quest, and we would be able to create quests during maintenance.

"Too easily exploitable". Sure, for people who have the skills (I do not). But I do know that computers are all 1's and 0's.

We would create a quest on our local computer and upload it to be published. What gets sent? 1's and 0's. A sort of table that says "This map with these sky settings, with this object at these coordinates (X, Y, Z), etc." The server assembles the quest and makes it available For Review.

I imagine this is pretty much how it currently works, but only their servers are hosting the editor.

Who knows... add this to the laundry list of "Wishes Never Granted".

header.png
"...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    Hi,
    Actually this was discussed with developers before. As far as I remember, this won't be possible not because of exploitation possibility, but because foundry is supposed to be updated regularly. This means by the time you are finished with your editor and want to upload, there will be compatibility issues because the online client has already updated to next build.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    gillrmn said:

Hi,
    Actually this was discussed with developers before. As far as I remember, this won't be possible not because of exploitation possibility, but because foundry is supposed to be updated regularly.

Well clearly this is not a problem. :D

I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    @mrgiggles651 .... lol... good one!
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    XDDDDDD
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • dzaimsdzaims Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Perhaps the problem is; Does UGC make money for Cryptic? If the answer is 'Yes! Let me list them.." then Cryptic/PW needs to spend some time in further development of the Foundry and policing the crappy exploit flotsam quests. Given the general neglect of Foundry, I dare say that Cryptic doesn't see any financial upside to support/encourage UGC.

Ancient Spirits officer

NW-DM9Pj62ZK 'Bear with Me'
    NW-DOPPZAYKQ 'Retirement Plans'
    NW-DKJMLS8OQ 'Sleepy in Cea Tull'

• valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    It is not a problem if the UGC makes money for them or not, they say:

"Neverwinter comes with the Foundry, a dynamic toolset that provides you the game assets and a sandbox environment to create your own adventures. When your creation is complete, you can hook it up directly into the existing world for everyone in the community to play!"

If they advertise that, they must be committed to it. If they are not committed to it, they are lying to the customers. Plain and simple.
    Post edited by valcontar73 on
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.