test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guild Coffer History is Entirely Useless

archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
Why was coffer history even implemented if all it does is go back 8-12 hours and has no significant functionality with which to see what people have actually donated.

It would be incredibly helpful from a leadership perspective to actually be able to see the totals that any individual (read: account) has donated.

Currently there is no way to tell the difference between someone who has donated 5 million AD and someone who has donated 5 thousand AD, same with knowing who does and doesn't do their daily influence.

All I want is some semblance of accountability. Oh right, I forgot who I was asking.
Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

Comments

• Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    I think Cryptic at some point said it was intentional that no totals exists. They could easily be used to put pressure on people to contribute, which they do not want.

I understand that is exactly what you want, and it seems Cryptic disagrees with you that this is a good thing.
  • Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    Any business is a place where people need to know how to work together, and the successful businesses are the ones that don't keep slackers around who just let their coworkers do all the work. It is the same with the guild, we all want guildmates who do their part to help upgrade the keep, because if they just float along benefiting from the effort of everyone else it rather dims my want to continue trying as hard.

If cryptic wanted to create a system where it is incredibly hard to find who the slackers are in a guild then they have found a good way of doing that. But being able to see contribution totals is not going to make the SH system crashing down, it will actually promote it since more people will have to contribute and you will see a healthier set of guilds start rising
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    gphxgphxgphxgphx Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    Pretty simple. Neverwinter is a game many people play to escape the pressures of work and real life in general. You want to turn Neverwinter into a job where the guild leader is a boss with the pressures of work and real life in general. People want to play the game they want to play it and you want to control them and tell them what to do. They've made a good choice not showing that information.
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    No. Cryptic made strongholds and cryptic locked guilds to 150 accts. They did that all by themselves.

Guild leaders wanting to progress in strongholds need to be able to make these tupes of decisions. Without an appropriate guild log of donations....they are left to resort to other ways to judge activity that are less accurate.

It is what it is vut dont blame guild leaders.
  • Options
    archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    That's the thing. The reduction of guild accounts combined with the ABSURD cost of upgrading a Stronghold no self-respecting guild can afford to have slackers if they want to progress.

Each guild leader can run things however they want; no one should judge them based on that.

If a guild leader(s) wants to run a competitive guild at the forefront of Stronghold progression they should be given the tools to aid in that endeavor. That's all I'm sayin'.
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User

I think Cryptic at some point said it was intentional that no totals exists. They could easily be used to put pressure on people to contribute, which they do not want.

I understand that is exactly what you want, and it seems Cryptic disagrees with you that this is a good thing.

That's pure speculation.

I think adding a log was just way easier to implement than having to keep a record of the total account-wide donations.

I wish they spent the extra time to add the latter.
  • Options
    tvcitytvcity Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    even the donation log shouldn't exist, and you want even more control? :confused:
  • Options
    torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    rows, columns, and totals per category. A spreadsheet of donations/accounts that can be used to track donation history.

not a tickertape feed of useless data that can't be used for anything. =X
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User

scathias said:

Any business is a place where people need to know how to work together, and the successful businesses are the ones that don't keep slackers around who just let their coworkers do all the work. It is the same with the guild, we all want guildmates who do their part to help upgrade the keep, because if they just float along benefiting from the effort of everyone else it rather dims my want to continue trying as hard.

And that's exactly why such logs shouldn't exist. This is a game, not work. Games are meant to be fun, not slavery. And people play a game when it suits them in the limited time they have.

Furthermore, if you consider a donation log to be a good thing to measure a member's worth to the guild, then you're a poor guild leader. There's much more to it than just donating. I play how I see fit in the time I believe I can spend on it. No guild leader is going to force me to do anything, I don't care how "reasonable" it may be. This game does not control my life, nor would I let it.

I will take any quest the SH has to offer, but I'll complete them when I see fit. If I have time for the daily dungeon, I won't neglect to take the quest and help the SH grow. If I have nothing better to do, I don't object to getting some HEs done for some influence. If I only have time for 2 skirmishes that day, the SH is SoL. Same thing if I don't feel like playing on a certain day. If I have to choose between personal growth and SH growth, my character comes first. Not only because it's MY game, but also because my character will be able to help others do their quests and help them grow and that will benefit the guild in the long run. As soon as you force me to do what you want me to do, I'm out.
    Absolutely spot on. It's amazing how many people forget that this is a game that players come to for enjoyment and relaxation not somewhere they come to for more pressure or to get told what they have to do every day.

All this reference to 'slackers' and other such nonsense really is quite depressing. Another thing that a lot of people seem to forget is that PC Gamers are all solo players, not group players/enthusiasts. A PC gamer is one person sat at a computer in their own little world. They choose to interact with the various characters they find in the game but they are all just that: Characters in a game. It makes no real difference if a character they meet is controlled by game AI or another player it is still just a piece of a virtual world that the player has chosen to enter to escape from whatever is going on in the Real World. As soon as someone tries to change that so that the virtual world is just an extension of the Real World, the player will leave and look for another virtual world to fulfill their need for fun, entertainment and relaxation. Setting SH quotas, targets and minimum activity contributions with the threat of expulsion from the Guild for anyone who dares to fail to meet them is exactly the sort of thing that will drive players away....in their droves.

Games are supposed to be fun for all the players, not just the few in control at the top !

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    While I respectfully disagree with the philosophy behind these changes, if guild leaders feel like it's something they need to manage their own guilds according to their own policies, than the tool should be provided as necessary.
    Post edited by ironzerg79 on
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    davejustdavedavejustdave Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    On balance I'd rather not see such a thing in the game but it does have its place. In most MMOS you'll find guilds which are formed and run with a single objective, be it to be top of a PVP league, to own a city, to have the most MadeUp points, or whatever. If you join one of those guilds you are signing up to contribute to whatever that goal is and such guilds need to be able to check that its members are contributing to the target. So a sortable/searchable contribution history would benefit those sort of guilds and it is reasonable to expect to be hassled if you are not pulling your weight.

However, such a tool is open to abuse by leaders of more general purpose guilds and that is where my objection lies. I've seen more than one guild leader catch the power-crazed virus and think they can start dictating what I spend my game time on. The Strongholds thing does seem to bring out the worst in some people but fortunately there is a free, quick and very satisfying solution to that particular problem.

• Options
    ankabird1ankabird1 Member Posts: 133 Arc User

Why was coffer history even implemented if all it does is go back 8-12 hours and has no significant functionality with which to see what people have actually donated.

It would be incredibly helpful from a leadership perspective to actually be able to see the totals that any individual (read: account) has donated.

Currently there is no way to tell the difference between someone who has donated 5 million AD and someone who has donated 5 thousand AD, same with knowing who does and doesn't do their daily influence.

All I want is some semblance of accountability. Oh right, I forgot who I was asking.

Totally agree...

You should post in Thread of "Patch Notes (Fictitious)"
  • Options
    mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User

That's the thing. The reduction of guild accounts combined with the ABSURD cost of upgrading a Stronghold no self-respecting guild can afford to have slackers if they want to progress.

Each guild leader can run things however they want; no one should judge them based on that.

If a guild leader(s) wants to run a competitive guild at the forefront of Stronghold progression they should be given the tools to aid in that endeavor. That's all I'm sayin'.

Sounds like you guys run a great and friendly guild, goooo team...
  • Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    I understand your points about this being a game, however, if your guild leaders are riding you too hard then evidently they don't fit your guild, or you don't fit their guild and you should do something about it.

Anyone who cares about their guild will make a small effort to help in some way. even if you can't do much for your guild it all helps, and it helps you and your friends. It is the people who enter a guild and do nothing to help it that I am targeting. Spend that 15 minutes you would spend standing there and come smash some minor HE's with us. we can all talk and enjoy each other's company the same way as if you were standing there.

I understand that people can't drop their lives to farm for the guild, and i don't do that either, but i help out at least
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    In Myrmidons, the guild coffer record is only used by officers for Guild Events.

For example, we are doing a Guild Raffle as a way around the huge AD sink that is AD chests. So, we are 'selling' numbered raffle balls for 10k Astral Diamonds each. Each prize has a limited number of balls. As an officer, I can scroll through the donation list and see who put in 10k Astral Diamonds and then give them credit and prepare the raffle drawing.

As far as policing who gives what and how much, not only would that make everyone else's game less fun, it would make my game less fun. That is why Myrmidons is semi-casual, not elitist. We reward your game play, not require it.

Have fun y'all!
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• Options
    odelle12odelle12 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    I agree that the record should be clear. With the amount of AD that each guild member needs to donate its a lot easier if its clear who is getting a free ride.

Apart from that maybe the forum moderator could keep on topic instead of trying to recruit people to their guild in a thread?
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    I love how a lot of you immediately jumps to the "OMG the guild leader is becoming Hitler and wants max efficiency at all times...HEIL!" attitude.

Here is a thought...maybe some GLs want to REWARD their higher contributors with something? So maybe they don't care if you didn't do a thing in SH this week, but they want to reward that guy with 30 alts who maxed influence on them all last week?

Think good, not always evil.

This is already implemented in STO (at least it was last time I looked)...not sure if it works well there or not, but I think we can all agree the current implementation here is not good for anyone.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    I'm sorry. I'll edit my comment :smiley:
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    I think the "solution' is a 2-part answer:

1. Add a Stronghold NPC that allows you to exchange 1 guild currency for another, (perhaps at some loss, so as to keep the main source of that currency attractive).
    2. You can now have all members of the guild contribute, even if a certain currency is capped, or if those players dislike a certain portion of the game that said currency comes from, (like PvP, Well of Dragons, etc).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
This discussion has been closed.