test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Daily Foundry

guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
edited September 2015 in The Foundry
Ok... so what do we have to do to get the general player of this game to try our foundry creations? Ok... so try mine and every fifth player has a chance of winning A NEW CAR! (just kidding)... but seriously, how can we attract more players?

Comments

• Options
    xetmk24xetmk24 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Nothing really. People don't play Foundry quests because Cryptic doesn't give them reasons to do it.
    You can try advertising it in the general chat?
    It would be nice if they at least featured quests again...
    Echo of the Ancient - NW-DT2ABLPD2 - The Wizards forces are pillaging ruins of the ancient, elven kingdom of Illefarn. In order to stop them, you need to lead your party through old, abandoned mines. But beware... you are not alone there...
  • Options
    iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    It's like deja vu...we've discussed this, like over and over. Look up posts by @Eldarth, and many others, probably including myself. I think the discussion was sticky'd for a while.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • Options
    Well the Daily Foundry is still worth some astral diamonds.... and whatever trash you can pick up along the way.
  • Options
    For the record, I've tried:
    Advertising in Zone Chat
    Advertising during and after Skirmish/Dungeon runs
    Advertising on Neverwinter Facebook posts
    Advertising during Twitch streams
    Net plays: 3-4 total

There was a player (@Locksheon) who devoted an entire Twitch account to the Foundry. I joined him many times in-game for most of those streams. He, like many folks, got fed up with the state of the game and moved on. He did manage to upload several streams to YouTube under Red Mage Gaming. He does plan on steaming the Drowned Shore Contest entries, but I'm not sure if anything beyond that. It's sad how the Foundry is looked upon as a waste of space by much of the player base because of poor decisions made in the early stages of the game.
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    One of the most common player complaints I see is "90% of the foundries suck."

My challenge: make a better one then.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    Exactly. It's easy to complain about something as opposed to putting in the creative effort to find out for themselves. I even have my quest listed in the history for my main.
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    I don't think mine are really good enough for public consumption, therefore I don't advertise them.

Granted, I feel I have some very good ideas.. but I'm not skilled enough with the (broken) Foundry to translate them into the game.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    My question is ..Where is the player base to support the foundry? In my mind.. the player base is there, but they don't play foundry quests, mainly because the treasure sucks. It takes a lot of work to make a professional quality foundry adventure and most players don't have the inclination to invest that much time learning this system. There are so many incomplete features in the tools... (no timers, no or/and logic, no boss fights, lots of bugs, etc... ) that learning to use them has a steep learning curve. Many of the foundry quests are, quite frankly, not very good or they are unfinished. With every update we seem to have more problems. But I don't think the low number of foundry plays is a problem caused by the foundry itself, more likely, it's in the way it's implemented to the general players of this game. So, I'm back to my original question.. Where is the player base to support the foundry? Anybody else play foundry creations? Or is it just me and the few others who regularly post here?
  • Options
    We are very few, there were more, now this is but a forsaken spot of the forums. We are still around in-game, but the editor hasn't had a meaningful update in so long that many have abandoned or held off on publishing new or quality content until changes are made. We don't even have the ranger and warlock armor sets available. We're scattered around several time zones in many countries, some belong to guilds, some belong to Facebook groups. Those of us that actually cared enough to put effort into promoting the foundry are tiring, most are gone. I don't mean to discourage you or others, but we've always been here, we just have never been heard.
  • Options
    valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I spend almost the same time promoting my foundries as doing them. Never stop promoting, promote, promote, never stop, all channels available, facebook, youtube, twitch, it's very tedious but maybe you'll get a bunch of plays. But promote in a seductive way.

I miss @Locksheon :(

I was lucky because I've done some Spanish foundries (Angeline von Stein Campaign) and the little Spanish community helped me a lot in terms of rated stars and advise. It was easy to compete against other spanish authors, I even thought I was a very good author... until I begin to play some english foundries and then I realized I was not so good...

To compete against other "english" authors is a titanic effort. Not only about the language (I'm still not very proficient with english, and I need to give thanks to some authors that helped me correcting my typos, being one of them @iandarksword ) but the quality of your works matters too and there are so many talented authors outhere that make me feel like a little ant.

So what do you need to have a lot of players?

1-. The only way is that your foundry becomes featured, then you'll get a lot of plays.
    2-. To have a nice and interesting story helps a lot.
    3-. Balanced combat (not overwhelming) is a good point. (But this is super-difficult to do.)
    4-. To have nice and original maps build from scratch will please the player. (Because we are all tired to see the same dungeons again and again). So something new is always welcome.
    5-. Attention to detail, use as many objects in your map as you can.
    6-. Surprise the player.
    7-. Put your soul in it.

It will be very useful for us, to be available to send a mail to our suscribers everytime we publish a new foundry.

Hope this helps.

PD: If daily foundries could reward 5.000 refinement points stones for artifacts, I'm pretty sure we'll have a lot of more plays. No, not gonna happen. They only care about the store, nothing else.

PDD: Sorry I'm very upset with the game lately.
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    lovepeaslovepeas Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    I know it doesn't help with the larger question at hand, but if you send me the code for your quest, I'd love to play it.
    The Delusions Quartet
    Act 1: Nightmare on Market Street
    Act 2: My Best Friend's Evil Wedding
  • Options
    kellnaforiankellnaforian Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    If you have, what you consider to be, a complete quest that is ready for the public I would be happy to run and give an in game review. I did try running some under New but they did not seem complete and it left me wondering why it was published.

I do much prefer heavy action with a solid story, with light writing.

The foundry itself is a solid toolbox. I would like to see some more tools put in, but as is it is fine.

Driving traffic, on the other hand, to the foundry is something I hope is reviewed.
    Campaign: Lands of Mirent Tusk
    NWS-DITF6RXSK - All Daily Qualified

Q1 - Dungeons of Mirent Tusk - 16 minutes Featured
    Q2 - The Legend of Prince Brightblade - 30+m
    Q3 - The Legend of The Lady - 30m
    Q4 - Finding the Way -20m
    Q5 - King Mirent Tusk - 50m
  • Options
    @guitarzan698 Most of the problems authors have getting people to play their quests is NOT the fault of the authors themselves, but the fact that the incentives to run Foundry content are so bad. For a game that revolves around currency, the Foundry provides none, so players focus on grinding whatever currencies rather than spending time in the Foundry.
  • Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Kellnaforian! I didn't think we'd ever see you again. I've had several people ask about you. You may find their posts in your old review threads in the quest subforum.

As for the topic....I don' think there is any reason for people to play foundries, other than to see the stories. It's pretty demoralizing. It might be fun to play with the editor itself but who wants to be a DM with no players?

@DoctorBadger
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ