test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do The Math, or A Critical Look at the AD changes

13»

Comments

• santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User

Conceptually removing Leadership is a good idea-they just need to add better ways for solo players to get AD, and/or cut costs dramatically.

AND is the correct word there. AND they should do both when rolling out the changes. But that is not Cryptic's way. I'll be very surprised if they do either of those things before Underdark. Probably even later.

• icyclassicyclass Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    snotty said:

Enchanted keys.
    Ah what a wonderful time it was when the enchanted keys were flowing like water, easy and cheap to get, often selling for around 10K AD on the AH. Not only were people selling keys left and right but hey were also selling zen like there was no tomorrow, I remember buying zen on the exchange for under 300AD each. Then for whatever reason Cryptic decided to make the keys BoP. And that's was the beginning of the great AD craze.

Not that it really matters, but keys weren't made BoP until after the ZAX pegged at 500 AD per Zen. At that point the keys were selling for more on the auction house than the equivalent price in the Zen shop. So there was a strong incentive to use AD to buy Zen (after a long wait due to the backlog), buy a key with the Zen, and then sell the key for a profit on the AH. And that really was a bad thing.
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    that, incidentally, was historically true for Preservation Wards as well.

Before the double RP weekend, pres wards were still one way to make a profit, but the best was to just use invocation to farm coupons, and then buy Ioun Stones of Allure for -20% off. You could sell them on the AH for about baseline cost, reap the profits, and also sell the Lesser Bonding Runestones.

With the price of zen depreciating due to the leadership changes, I doubt that will be profitable any longer.
  • fogtripperfogtripper Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited September 2015

briseda said:

What's a premade?

A party that is formed with the intention of PVPing. Get 5 ppl together with really good gear and queue for Domination. Its hard to beat them.
    Why would you poopoo on premades? Teamwork should be something everyone playing should aspire to.
    To some "Teamwork" means being able to find one you can stand to play with let alone work together. So yes premades are unfair. I should be a BOT class gen and you work with what you are given all the same grear all the came stats everything. Lets see if you still have that cocky attitude when someone out games you with the same toon.
    Let me see if I understand that babbling: are you saying that because some cannot rise above being antisocial idiots, the ones who can do so are doing something "unfair"?

I tell you, the majority of this playerbase really makes me weep for the future.
    ogarious said:

Why does the playing field need to be even.

Case in point. This guy has the most seriously warped point of view I've seen in ages.
  • brisedabriseda Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    The playing field doesnt need to be even, it wont ever be. But achieving the best gear should be possible. It shouldnt be so impossible that cheating is the only way to get it. Botting, scripting, exploiting, whatever you want to call it. It should be possible to achieve legitimately and in a reasonable time with reasonable effort before another patch comes out and replaces it with even harder to achieve gears.
  • fogtripperfogtripper Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    briseda said:

The playing field doesnt need to be even, it wont ever be. But achieving the best gear should be possible.

An even playing field means that everyone has an equal route to the endzone. It doesn't mean that everyone should get the same rewards for different levels of effort and time as the game was designed to be played.
  • brisedabriseda Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    No game has ever been played "as it was designed to be played". That isnt how games work. Even simple games have versions of rules and are driven by the communities that play them. If you want the game to be played the way you want it played, making the game unplayable isnt the best method.
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    Sophistry. The game has various incentive structures for given behavior and the dev team works to balance those incentive structures.

Ultimately, the game gets changed when the "outcomes" don't match the desired outcomes. That's just how systems management works.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,046 Arc User
    briseda said:

No game has ever been played "as it was designed to be played". That isnt how games work. Even simple games have versions of rules and are driven by the communities that play them. If you want the game to be played the way you want it played, making the game unplayable isnt the best method.

They might get that, when a lot of players are playing something else at the end of this month.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
    Can anyone tell me what BDO is? I'm curous to find out!

• fatgunsfatguns Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

Personally, I'm reserving judgement until after the changes. Maybe things won't be as bad as everyone thinks. Maybe the devs will decide that the changes are too extreme and add in other ways of earning AD. I don't know, but I don't want to quit a game that I still totally love just because of something like this. It's not like they are targeting just a few people with this. Everyone will be in the same boat. It should even the playing field between the people who have 50 characters and the people who only have 1 or 2.

Girl, they wont, they never did what was good for the player, never.
    greyloche said:

Can anyone tell me what BDO is? I'm curous to find out!

its either an abbreviation for body odor or black desert online
    I'm sure it's about body odor, but Black Desert Online sounds worth looking up!