test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do The Math, or A Critical Look at the AD changes

brisedabriseda Member Posts: 100 Arc User
edited September 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I see a lot of discussion about why the new AD fixes proposed by the Neverwinter devs are good or bad. I'm not sure how many of you have actually done the math, because if the "devs" have they are sadists.

No one is going to log into 50 chars and do three hours of content for 24K AD each, so this is basically the engineered end of the AD farm. Everyone will have to play as if they have a single main char. Long gone are the days of farming dungeons for worthy gear to sell, its all bound. The new system basically leaves your options of AD gain to the 24K RAD you can gain from questing, so that is what the following is based on.

You are capped, a shiny new 70. Awwww, arent you cute. Now, how to get that uber cool BiS gear every guild of note would like you to have in order to be competitive or maybe you just like to have cool stuff, who cares. Under the currently proposed AD system you better have 3 or 4 hours a day for the next 8 years. Nope, that isn't a typo folks, that is how long it will take and that doesn't take in consideration weapon and armor enchants because those are so subjective. I'm also not calculating the cost of the mats to level up the artifacts (like Greater Marks of Power, which cost more than GMOPs do). I'm not figuring in the RP of each enchant, which is considerable, because frankly that adds so much time, it's essentially meaningless. I'm not including mounts, pets, pet enchants, armor kits, overload slot enchants, etc ad infinitum. These things are just the basics. Not everyone is gonna get R12 enchants but I figure that makes up for all the stuff I left out.

4 artifacts total:
  • 11 GMOPs each to Mythic equals 44 GMOPs @ 75K ea is 3.3 million AD. @ 24K AD per day is 137 days
  • 10 million RP each to Mythic equals 40 million RP @ .33 AD ea is 13.2 million AD. @ 24K per day is 550 days
R12 Enchants for 13 slots:
  • 20 GMOPs each enchant X 13 slots equals 260 GMOPs @ 75K ea is 19.5 million AD. @ 24K AD per day is 812.5 days
4 Artifact Gears:
  • 4,645,200 million RP X 4 is 18,280,800 RP @ 2 AD ea is 37 mil AD @ 24k AD per day is 1,541 days
So, to sum it all up, it will take:
3,040.5 days or 8 Years, 3 Months and 4 Weeks if you are playing free.
-or-
949.5 days or 2 Years and 7 Months plus $7,926 if you are playing with money to burn.

So, its up to you dear public, are the proposed changes dumb or malicious? They couldn't possibly mean to make BiS gear impossible for new players to achieve... could they?

edited: Sanitized for your protection

Comments

• karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    You had never the chance to be BIS equipped as freeplayer. You must spend money. It is simple as that. And even if you could reach it there is a gurante for it that comes another elemental evil update and destroy 50% of your progress that you did in a year or two.

It is only an Illusion that you can earn everything in the game with time investment. On top of that, the game is buggy and laggy. The last 3-6 month it lacks of content. I heard that Cryptic will only develope 10-12 modules and then the game is done.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • hypnoticbeasthypnoticbeast Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    WOW He dident show STO.
  • gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    This is (was) a free to play game. That means that you have to pay if you want to enjoy all of it within a reasonable timeline. Sure they can say that everything in the game is doable without paying anything, but we all know that's a big load of HAMSTER.

I'm not sure why, but Cryptic has implemented huge payment-walls and if you want to get over them you have to pay huge amounts. I don't think this is a well working business method in the long run. The walls are growing and now when they removed AD from leadership and also with SH, they added barbed wire on-top of the walls. So now its actually closer to a P2W game. I mean getting to BiS literally cost thousands of USD. That is way to much money for a game.

I'm very much against the business plan they have so I'm not paying anything at all. I started playing in BETA and I bought an epic mount with ZEN but since then I haven't payed anything. Not only because of they high prices but also because I always have the feeling that tomorrow might be the last day I want to play the game. Most of the content is really bad and the PvP balance is getting worse for each module. Ever since they started with BoP I felt that the game is going in a very wrong direction. And who invests money in something that you don't really trust? Its a very bad business plan they have.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• brisedabriseda Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Ive been playing since launch. Like most competitive ppl, I had an AD farm. Im not alone. Moderators on the forum admit to having them as well. My gear is pretty much complete, all BiS. Pretty cool.

But what if you are just starting the game? You can play for years and not get gear as good as I already have. Every AD I make from this moment on will be saved up to remain competitive for a long time. As time passes, the number of ppl that can compete with me in PVP dwindles. New players meet me, or others like me, in IWD and die easily. They can never catch up no matter how hard they try. Even if you farmed all day and all night for RP, the 24K a day cap means it will take you three years to get the AD needed for GMOPs alone. New players are being handicapped and then shown what they COULD have had in the form of a hard core trouncing by a legacy player.

That's poor planning and it's terrible for the population. It will stagnate. I dont want to be a BiS player in a sea of casuals. Its boring.
    It still is. And 3 years ago STO went through the same issues we are now. It was a far far worse thing that they did to save that game I assure you. Know one seemed to see why they did this. Because no one was playing the game anymore. It was all bots everywhere I could not go to the tower district without seen 10-15 of the buggers standing around the campfire at the broken tower tavern the going poof as soon as I got near them. I can see why this was done, and I saw it coming as soon as they said "Underdark". Think for a momment if you are in a HUGE underground cave system full of "Mining Opportunaties" would be a far better way to have more people in the game playing it then letting a BOT do all the work and cash in. NO thats not why the game was made, it was ment to be played. Granted there are a few things that need to change like WB needs to put up a "sale" singe every now and then.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    briseda said:

I dont want to be a BiS player in a sea of casuals. Its boring.

I'm still a bloody casual even with my leadership farm.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Still happy with the leadership changes. This way, everyone is in the same boat, its not a case of the leadership people ok with the game and the rest of us not. When all thats left is..."This needs to be fixed" its more likely to be fixed then when there is mixed messages.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User

Still happy with the leadership changes. This way, everyone is in the same boat, its not a case of the leadership people ok with the game and the rest of us not. When all thats left is..."This needs to be fixed" its more likely to be fixed then when there is mixed messages.

Good luck with that.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Personally, I'm reserving judgement until after the changes. Maybe things won't be as bad as everyone thinks. Maybe the devs will decide that the changes are too extreme and add in other ways of earning AD. I don't know, but I don't want to quit a game that I still totally love just because of something like this. It's not like they are targeting just a few people with this. Everyone will be in the same boat. It should even the playing field between the people who have 50 characters and the people who only have 1 or 2.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    kreatyve said:

Personally, I'm reserving judgement until after the changes. Maybe things won't be as bad as everyone thinks. Maybe the devs will decide that the changes are too extreme and add in other ways of earning AD. I don't know, but I don't want to quit a game that I still totally love just because of something like this. It's not like they are targeting just a few people with this. Everyone will be in the same boat. It should even the playing field between the people who have 50 characters and the people who only have 1 or 2.

If they had made this change before the massive prevalence of the AD farm then Id see your point, we would all be in the same boat. But they didnt. They didnt level the playing field at all, they just made it so that the bottom of the field can never catch up to the top of the field, ever. Next mod comes and even if I cant get the BiS gears right away, no one is gonna kill me in my last mod gear. I'm forever BiS and nothing can change that. If I were the only one, it would be fine too but Im not. Half the game just became permaOP. I look forward to new people to play against but how will that happen?

Ill quit the game because they seem so out of touch with the actual community that it sincerely feels like they dont care. I am not even a player, Im a number. You're a number. He is a number. His overall enjoyment of the game is immaterial. Numbers matter. Bots make AD, punish everyone and ruin an otherwise great game. Literally take every single fun thing this game ever had to offer and kill it. The Foundry is useless. The gateway is useless. Dungeons and their drops are useless. Ive been made into a legacy dinosaur that few people can compete against, let alone an entire party of my guildmates.

ghoulz66 said:

briseda said:

Um if you lose a roll to a casual that usual means he has gear of lesser quality has doing more for the team? I have been pugs with 70's all orange, "swing at a wall and nothing but air". And finish a run with the least amount of damage or kills and the most downs. So how did any one play at all? IF they weren't a BiS player, how did they make it at all?
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    briseda said:

thank you for your words. maybe you can spend some time discuss this at your guild plagueing pvp with premades

What's a premade?

What's a premade?

A party that is formed with the intention of PVPing. Get 5 ppl together with really good gear and queue for Domination. Its hard to beat them.
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    briseda said:

vinceent1 said:

briseda said:

thank you for your words. maybe you can spend some time discuss this at your guild plagueing pvp with premades

They enjoy PVP. It is not their fault that the devs of the game have made it impossible for the casual player to compete effectively. Instead of blaming the people that love to play, blame the jerks who made it so that you can NEVER get gear as good as theirs. Now, instead of new guilds catching up and getting geared players, they will never catch up. Your solution to this issue is for the people in my guild to quit? Most of us have played since launch. Everyone needs to contact Cryptic and complain at them directly. http://mmos.com/developers/cryptic-studios
    i am talking about attitude. not pvp system

"I dont want to be a BiS player in a sea of casuals"

many from your guild constantly play like to be BIS player in sea of casuals. thats what i talk about... no offense

• cheyennemountaincheyennemountain Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

Kreatyve, I'd agree in many respects with this. Evening the playing field would be a good thing and I'm willing to "wait and see" too.
    However, this is also the message from cryptic. They're going to wait and see before introducing ways to earn AD from other sources.
    This reeks of a change being made without full insight into it's impact on the community. It feels that they've lost touch (even more) with what makes their player base tick. This is in the context of an already lowered population.
    I don't think there is time to wait and see before making counter adjustments to balance things out, because more players will leave off the back of the decision. For some (genuine players) it'll be because their LS army is dead and buried, and for some it'll be because they can never catch up with other players no matter how hard they work for it
    I've already started to see players give up from my guild saying that was the last nail in the coffin. They feel hopeless about this decision, because cryptic have given them nothing to hope for. Their model of earning AD from playing the game is just not valuing their time. The rewards are stingy given the costing for the advancement of characters.
    No one sensible would expect their characters to be BiS over night, and eliminating the short cuts to achieve this IS a good thing, but the have forgotten their community.
    What they needed to do, was to be proactive with their further adjustments.
    They needed to have a plan. They shouldn't be making it up as they go along! and that's how it feels at the moment.

It's all very well everyone being in the same boat, but if that boat is empty all these changes to remove bots and make things fairer just won't matter anymore!

#CuttingOffYourNoseToSpiteYourFace
    Morgana CW
    briseda said:

What's a premade?

A party that is formed with the intention of PVPing. Get 5 ppl together with really good gear and queue for Domination. Its hard to beat them.
    So it's a matter of who has bigger guns. Now it makes sense. Would you be more mad at losing a quick and easy way to max out a toon? Or would you rather have the dev's return everyone's Lvl 2.5k lvl armor to 150? Cryptic has done it before with other games. Ask anyone in star fleet
  • mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

People having 1 or 2 chars can have 50. They are NOT FORCED to have 2. Now with changes, people having 50 will be FORCED to play with 1 or 2. You see difference?
  • kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Measuring income then with prices now is just HAMSTER. When income drops so do the prices cause nobody wants to post something for sale that won't sell. Furthermore, Leadership still feeds you some AD. And lastly, living off RAD each day is a poor way to go. Play the game make money the real way. Sell stuff on the AH. All this really does is reduces the influx of AD so that the value of a single astral diamond goes up and value of ingame items goes down so that prices stabalize and the playing player gains the edge of the bot-like players who were living off leadership farms.

Before this change all you needed was the ability to level a toon to unlock professions and a chunk of time to invest in 20 character slots to create a botted AD income. You didn't even need to maintain it with a computer that could run the game. Now if an Astral Diamond trader or "botter" as you all call them, wants to maintain an edge he's going to have to play the game to make the AD. And yes, I know some will say that the bots play the game with fancy scripts....I don't see it and I really think thats a boogeyman statement so if you disagree with me then agree to disagree.
  • icyclassicyclass Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    I wish Cryptic would just come out and say, "Look, you're not supposed to have mythic artifacts or legendary gear. We want people enjoying trying to make it through dungeons at the minimum item level in order to slowly improve their gear, not seeing if they can run the dungeon in 9 minutes instead of 10." *

Except PvP completely screws that because there a lot of it is about having the best gear.

And the financial model seems to be about pushing the best gear. (Actually the financial model doesn't seem as coherent as that, but anyways.)

But if you're a PvE player I don't think this change is really all that terrible. We can go back to complaining about when dungeons are coming back. ;)

* Ok, I'm also concerned Cryptic doesn't know their own game well enough to make that work.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I considered reserving judgment because the game is still enjoyable for now (until I need to upgrade) and because I have good friends in the game. However, more important than that... I'm tired of supporting a dishonest company. Simple as that. If they had said straight up: "we are not making enough money and the game overall is at risk. Players: what can we do?" We would have given them many good suggestions. Instead.... This.
  • wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    I dont understand why the only income and way to progress players see is the 24k AD/ toon generated. I personally think that generating new AD as main way to earn stuff in game is wrong - it may (and did) lead to uncontrollable inflation. The infamous Astral Resonator exploit didnt help either and nobody (maybe not even Cryptic, if they dont track AD which is on players accounts) knows how much it still affects economy - time will show. However, there are other ways of getting rich (note - rich doesnt mean "BiS in <1 month", unless you spend >10h/day in game), which operate on existing AD. Some require gear, some require certain investments (other professions), but some require nothing but time. Perhaps mindlessness of leadership killed creativity, which is needed in most f2p MMOs to progress without spending great amount of money. For example thing Im currently farming (on single toon) brings me 150k-300k AD/hour, depending on RNG - I dont know how much it is compared to leadership army, but its satisfying enough for my need of progression (obviously - not telling - it relies on selling stuff I farmed and competition is last thing I need).
  • bashteros1234bashteros1234 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    I understand PVP players not using leadership that applaud the removal of leadership AD.

I don't understand PVE players not using leadership applauding. At the moment you progress your toon because of leadership farmers.
    You can farm elol - win the artifact - sell it for 1.6mio AD - buy 16 gmops and progress your toon.
    In the future - you farm elol - win the artifact - but the prize will drop to about 160k-300k AD - you can only buy 1-3 gmops.

The only reason some people sell profession stuff for high prizes in AH is because of leadership farmers, who don't care because they earn large amounts of AD per day.

People hoping for a decrease of fixed prizes in near future will probably be disappointed. Cryptic will be monitoring the amount of AD in game and will decrease the fixed prizes, when they see a steady decrease in the global amount of AD - BUT all people with millions of AD will immediately stop spending ADs resulting in a deadlock - Cryptic waiting for people spending AD and players waiting for Cryptic to announce a decrease in fixed prices.
  • canmanncanmann Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    kitkathd said:

Furthermore, Leadership still feeds you some AD.

Let us clear this up quick... the only tasks in Leadership that give AD on test are the three rare tasks you need three marks of gratitude for.

• rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    I'd like to point out that all of these ridiculous AD sinks were put in because there was trillions of AD floating around and billions being generated every day. Now that they've removed the biggest cause of this, there's reason to believe they will also lower/remove the sinks, give it some time.
  • nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    I'd like to point out that all of these ridiculous AD sinks were put in because there was trillions of AD floating around and billions being generated every day.
    What was the price of a GMOP on the first day of public access to NW? 100,000 AD. Cryptic has been charging out the wazoo from day 1; these sinks are not in response to AD farms. Please get your facts straight!
  • kromrylkromryl Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    kvet said:

I considered reserving judgment because the game is still enjoyable for now (until I need to upgrade) and because I have good friends in the game. However, more important than that... I'm tired of supporting a dishonest company. Simple as that. If they had said straight up: "we are not making enough money and the game overall is at risk. Players: what can we do?" We would have given them many good suggestions. Instead.... This.

A-Freaking-Men

• rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    nathanjm said:

I'd like to point out that all of these ridiculous AD sinks were put in because there was trillions of AD floating around and billions being generated every day.
    What was the price of a GMOP on the first day of public access to NW? 100,000 AD. Cryptic has been charging out the wazoo from day 1; these sinks are not in response to AD farms. Please get your facts straight!

Okay, you clearly weren't here the first day of public access, because we didn't even GET the current refining system until Module 2 - when it was put in place to help sink AD out of the system because people had been exploiting for months and they couldn't get it under control. Before that, all you had to do was fuse four of the same enchants together into the next rank. No refining, no marks.
  • bilitheaxe66bilitheaxe66 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

The only way this change could level the playing field is if they did a server wipe and reset everyone back to level 1... with absolutely nothing in their banks. There are already so many different boats that people are in that to believe this change will put everyone in the same boat does not hold one bit of rationality. Those who are riding in the luxury liners will remain at the top, most of us in rowboats will lose our Evinrudes and be left with one oar, and the new players will be given a canoe without any paddles.

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,046 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Your only way to fight it is to close your purset. It will also declare the death of the game, unfortunately.

Anyway you can run any content in purple so until purple is unplayable we can continue to play the game. I don't care about Mythic stuff, I know I will never see it but I'm ANGRY to face them in PVP.

Then don't PvP.
    Follow the great path shown by the Devs... if you don't like something, remove it from your game.
    And there're Training Puppets, go ahead and unleash your anger upon them!
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!