test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A modest proposal: VIP with real $, only

nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User
Putting on my game designer hat for a minute, one common observation is that real-$ sales of Zen might be too low for management's taste. Here's a proposal to help eliminate that : make VIP real $ only, and drop the Zen <-> AD exchange (ZAX). Here's how I'd do it, and in this order:

1) Duplicate almost all Zen store items (except VIP, keys, module-completion purchases, items like the 'Hero of the North Pack' and maybe also companion slots) to the Wondrous Bazaar (WB)'s list. Add a slight markup, e.g. a 2000 Zen item would be on the WB at 1.2mil AD, rather than 1,000,000 at a 500:1. Alternatively to an AD markup, sweeten the deal so that real-$ Zen purchases of mounts/companions are account wide pickup -- like mounts already are -- and WB-mounts/companions are per-toon only. And, add a Zen store item (for real-$ only) to buy AD at a fixed cost, 500:1.

2) Make Manycoins bank accept/withdraw AD for safekeeping, just like MC already does with game-gold. (And I'd pay real-$ Zen for the ability to deposit/withdraw other campaign currencies at Manycoins, too). This would make transferring AD between accounts much simpler than the ZAX method of putting in a lowball offer, canceling and withdrawing.

3) If, and only if, the above two are done, then simply close the ZAX. After step 1, the general items once available via AD->Zen (for the F2P crowd) are still completely available. All the big ticket items like VIP require real $. And, after step 2, the ZAX's same-account transfer functions would be preserved, and the AD backlog would be gone. But, as above, this has to be done LAST.

Doing these three steps would ensure Cryptic gets real $ for big purchases -- including VIP -- and allows people to buy AD when a big weekend comes around. The F2P crowd could use their AD to fund most, but not all, items. Those that invest $ would get them sooner, faster, and hopefully better. The AD people earn would apply to in-game items.

Thanks for reading.
Tagged:

Comments

• dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    So how do you suggest P2W crowd get their ingame currency?You cant put items only they can buy and sell.It will be against F2P.You cant expect everybody spend months to get rank 12 enchantment especially if someone is paying as much as money which third world countries can feed a village maybe even small town
  • nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    So how do you suggest P2W crowd get their ingame currency?
    As I said in point #1, "add a Zen store item (for real-$ only) to buy AD at a fixed cost, 500:1." This allows Zen -> AD just fine. Not necessarily just for P2W, if someone wants a boost at the beginning, they can invest $5 to get 250,000 AD.
  • dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    nathanjm said:

As I said in point #1, "add a Zen store item (for real-$ only) to buy AD at a fixed cost, 500:1." This allows Zen -> AD just fine. Not necessarily just for P2W, if someone wants a boost at the beginning, they can invest $5 to get 250,000 AD.
    nathanjm said:

They are trying to remove excessive AD amount from the game not increase it LMAO.It will be everybodys doom when they start selling AD for ZEN

• rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    They can't sell VIP for only real money. Because they promised, many, many, MANY times, that they would never, ever have a 'subscription'. Offering it for zen instead of money allows them to get away with having made that promise. It's not technically a subscription, since you can buy it with Astral Diamonds if you have enough of them.
  • icyclassicyclass Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    verdonix1 said:

I didn't even read past your first line... Here is an idea .... offer something worth buying in the cash shop and people will buy it..... Awesome transmutes, $5 each.....weapon dyes $5 each.... companion unbind scroll, $25 each.... see where I am going with this?! Give us what the heck we have been begging for and we will pay for it... Enchantment effect removal stone $10..... appearance change removal scroll $10 ...... all stuff we want but they wont give us....

Well that's getting closer. Now knock those prices down a bit and give me a way to use lots of them. If I'm in the mood for my weapon to look different today I'd rather not have my current weapon transmute [and the money spent on it] disappear forever. "Fashion" items are well and good but who wants to spend inventory space on a wardrobe?
  • sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    The best items in game are on the AH or in lockboxes, not in the zen store.
    How will rich players buy the best in-game items?
    Your proposal forces rich players to open many lockboxes and craft many enchantments to get the best items.
    Making it difficult for rich players to buy stuff on AH is a good way to lower Cryptic's income.

What is your next modest proposal? to remove AH?
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Remove the Auction House, botters are using it to move the farmed AD.
    There you go.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!