test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Smart way to grind up to 70 (aka Drowned Shore quick route)

randomdigits#2166 randomdigits Member Posts: 700 Arc User
If you, like me, like to power-level in a most efficient way, please share here your thoughts on the best strategies.
As a first step I've looked into optimizing the otherwise random Vigilance tasks in The Mines (entry) area of Drowned Shore.
Here are my notes about the time it takes to complete them and their locations:
QuestQuest GiverLocationTimeExpExp/second
Target: Riptide MollyAlinda Greenwoodoutside1:30500056
Herbal MaladyAlinda Greenwoodoutside & mines3:451000044
Mysterious SymbolAlinda Greenwoodoutside & nearby5:451000029
Healing HarvestAlinda Greenwoodoutside & mines6:001000028
Alinda's BountyAlinda Greenwoodoutside8:001000021
Sea Hag SlayingAlinda Greenwoodoutside8:001000021
War MachinesBellan Norellnearby2:191000072
Reptilian ReaversBellan Norelloutside or glimmerstone4:021000041
Goldseekers Folly: Rogues GalleryBellan Norellgoldseeker7:051100026
Shock TroopsBellan Norellsilverdrip & glimmerstone7:031000024
Target: The TidemasterBellan Norellglimmerstone3:52500022
Needful ThingsUdo Stonekinmines3:351000047
Silver StrikeUdo Stonekinsilverdrip5:101000032
Sea TrollingUdo Stonekinoutside or silverdrip5:301000030
Goldseeker's Folly: Mine RescueUdo Stonekingoldseeker7:051100026
Target: DeepclawUdo Stonekinsilverdrip3:30500024

Other useful tips:
1) It's fastest to run with tasks on an instance with the minimum number of players.
2) It's oftentimes faster to return to the mine/dungeon entrance using Change Instance command.
3) It's possible to get into Glimmerstone and Silverdrip mines quickly without fights.
4) Glimmerstone mine has lots with lizardmen & some sea hags.
5) Silverdrip mine has lots of sea trolls & many sea hags.
6) Goldseeker's Folly is mostly filled with Cult of Crushing Wave mobs.
7) Don't bother with encounter(s): they take too long to complete solo.
8) You can run by/ignore sea trolls and bruisers, other mobs have ranged attacks.

P.S. Here is a similar guide I've found from PC: http://josephskyrim.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/neverwinter-online-drowned-shore.html
Ana Taletreader (CW) / Friend of Casual Gamers

Comments

• silktrocitysilktrocity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I have a buddy whos doing this too. I don't recommend it for several reasons.

By ranking up the way you are suppose to, you come across the "story" missions or "important" missions which not only give you some really powerful/cool looking gear but those specific yellow quests give you 30-40k XP each time you accomplish one.

Also: the other locations quests offer a few thousand more xp and some of them are even easier/faster to farm, and navigate the maps. My fav is the the fiery pits because there are a select few extremely close to the spawn.

Lastly: I'm quite sure you have to do every yellow quest in spinward rise to actually receive your artifact weapon. So if you hit 70 just by doing drowned shores, you'll be stuck another day or 2 doing the lengthy quests in spinward rise regardless.
    Lady Vayo TR - Silky OP - Lord Reven DC (retired) - Lady Luck HR (retired)
  • randomdigits#2166 randomdigits Member Posts: 700 Arc User
    True, the quest line should be followed as much as possible.
    I've accidentally skept Reclamation Rock initially (due to lack of proper sorting of locations) and went to Fiery Pit and found the tasks there way more challenging and time consuming then the ones in Drowned Shore, so I went back to level up a few levels back there, and then properly go to Reclamation Rock.

I think it all depends on your current experience bonus % - ideally, imho, you should be able to stay a few levels above the current minimal level for the zone to run through Vigilance tasks swiftly.
  • amafia313amafia313 Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    Give him credit for trying to help with tips
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I'm focusing on the 8x3 then move on to next area. It may not be more efficient in the short term but I'm hoping in the longer run it'll equal out from the vigilance completion rewards but also means I only have to do each task once per character.

That keeps it more interesting for me, seeing what's over the next hill and what challenges are coming. I get to see everything twice as I'm doing both my characters simultaneously (few hours on one then switch).

I'm hoping I can do that through the 4 areas and be L70 by the end ~ or at least very close to it. I'm only about 40% through at the moment.

Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • corydonn15corydonn15 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I was also adding in the next area of quests for my grinding when the first area ended up on cooldown, You can also use killing yourself as a shortcut when you finish all four quests to respawn at the campfire next to the questgivers.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    I think the way suggested by the OP is perfectly chromulant. After reading this thread I tried to move on from drenched to do some other content and the tasks were harder and took longer because I kept getting killed and the tasks weren't as easy to lump to run together. I made it thru all the tasks to get my rewards on the next area but it took all day and I didn't rank up because I wasn't able to get them done quickly and do them again. Went back to drenched and it was a cake walk. I'd rather go to those areas when I can play as a couple levels above the monsters and just do the tasks once to progress and do the actual levelling in drenched. My strategy is to pick and choose the tasks to run together. lump two waternodes together, do the one with the crabs and eel grass, waterbreathing, buoye releasing, and equipment finding together, water archeon and cult killing and waterbreathing and mementos together (or some variation similar to above lineups depending on what's available) that way you can do more than one thing at once in the same area and it goes really quickly.
  • mrtehpuppymrtehpuppy Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    I personally reccomendation using a hybrid between this Drowned Shores repetitive grinding and actually moving on to the next area. There seems to be a level deficiency if you follow the quest path without repeating any quests (meaning you'll hit level 65 when you finish Fiery Pit but need level 66 to progress to Spinward Rise and when you finish Spinward, you'll be level 67-68 and not 70 IF you were to follow the quest path fully).

If recommend always stating one level ahead of the minimum level required for the zone your on and use the DS grinding detailed in the OP to supplement your levels when your too low.so, start Drowned Shore at 60, grind the starting area quests until you hit 61 then finish all of the quest chain for the area. Then, IF your level 63, move on to Reclamation Rock, if not, grind more of the starter area until you hit 63. For Fiery Pit you'll have the easiest time starting there at 65, and spinward rise you'll have the easiest time starting at 67.

Another huge factor that will go a long way to making this less painful, stack ArP HARD. You'll want to maintain around a 40-50% RI all the way through the new EE content BUT, as you level up higher, the stat curves become more and more harsh. At around level 60, 2,400 ArP is equal to aroubd 44% RI. But at level 70, 2,400 ArP is worth 24% RI...
    Member of Look Good Play Good
    Pup - Level 70 4.2k Buff/Debuff AC DC
    XBL GT: TehPuppy
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    yeah, I went into reclamation rock at 65 and still was getting owned by slaati. I tried going into flames first and REALLY got owned there. did the content the once for reclamation then went back to farming drowned. I figure at level 68 (which I'll probably hit tomorrow) I'll go back to flames and spinward and then just go back to drowned if I don't hit 70 doing regular content. I think my Arp is probably not sufficent at the moment.
  • silktrocitysilktrocity Member Posts: 239 Arc User

I was also adding in the next area of quests for my grinding when the first area ended up on cooldown, You can also use killing yourself as a shortcut when you finish all four quests to respawn at the campfire next to the questgivers.

Why would you kill yourself? ...instead of changing instances..?

Lady Vayo TR - Silky OP - Lord Reven DC (retired) - Lady Luck HR (retired)
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User

I have a buddy whos doing this too. I don't recommend it for several reasons.

By ranking up the way you are suppose to, you come across the "story" missions or "important" missions which not only give you some really powerful/cool looking gear but those specific yellow quests give you 30-40k XP each time you accomplish one.

Also: the other locations quests offer a few thousand more xp and some of them are even easier/faster to farm, and navigate the maps. My fav is the the fiery pits because there are a select few extremely close to the spawn.

Lastly: I'm quite sure you have to do every yellow quest in spinward rise to actually receive your artifact weapon. So if you hit 70 just by doing drowned shores, you'll be stuck another day or 2 doing the lengthy quests in spinward rise regardless.

The thing is, that even if you do all the Vigilance quests in all the areas, and I mean all, you still won't be 70...

So, you'll have to grind a lot,keep in mind that some quests randomly give you an Elemental Aggregate or a Unified Element, so check all quest rewards for those too, not just how much exp they give.
  • thejawlivesthejawlives Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    I
    Good idea if your have rank 7 VIP ...if you kill yourself, you will respond at the "start" campfire with no injuries!!
  • thejawlivesthejawlives Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    *respawn
    Update, I've reached level 70 yesterday, and even with 45% experience bonus from Azures I think I would be missing around 1.5M experience if I was not doing a bit of grinding in Drowned Shore. In addition to the first zone I was also running several easy quests in the nearby camp while the first zone was on cool down.
    E.g. these ones (from the site I've mentioned in my first post):
    The Render - lacedon boss
    Undead from the Deep - lacedons
    Drowned Menace - kill lacedons
    High Road Warning - post signs
    Getting Goods - recover trade goods from monsters (use the nearby cultist camp)
    Taking Stock - recover merchant wares (from keep OR mobs, use the nearby cultist camp)
    Hateful Horrors - kill green hags
    Heroic Encounter: Cultist Ambush (very near the camp, high chance for assists)
    Ranger Reports - gather reports
    Scaly Persuasion - kill cult agitators
    Life Guarding - free captives (found in watery lacedon areas)
    FYI, the end game gameplay after completing Elemental Evil quests and reaching level 70 does not get any more orderly.
    You are about to be sent onto multiple campaign quests without clear priorities with regard to which one gives better rewards, Each campaign seem to be a many-week grinding of daily and weekly tasks to get the respective campaign currencies and slowly afford better gear.

So the point is: Enjoy the Elemental Evil where the enemies are weak and you know exactly what to do next. :)
  • jody095jody095 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    I played through all areas on my main, skipping reclamation rock and coming back to it after spinward. As soon as I got done with spinward rise at level 68 I had this same epiphany - Should've just stay in drowned shores the whole time.

I got my first alt up to level 69 this way and am praying to level 70 while i level 2nd alt. 2nd alt is at 64 now. I also tried running giants with my guild. This way seemed faster to me.