test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where do profession workers come from?

cap1776cap1776 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
edited September 2015 in PvE Discussion
I have played up to level 30 or so...I have three mercenaries for leadership,two miners, and a guy to make plate armor. They were easy because the professions simply let one mercenary get another one, and the same for the miner. I understand that the initial worker for a profession is given. But I don't know how or where to get other workers...I thought there would be something from missions, but no dice. I have opened a number of "profession packs" from lockboxesand received ingredients, but no one to use them.

I don't know much about this system, and assumed that it would be somewhat self explanatory over time, but at this point It's weird that my guys can only run level one or two missions. I see missions for more advanced workers but have no idea how to get them if they are not in profession packs.

On a side note, from what I can tell... by the time my armor maker can MAKE armor, the armor that he can make is too low level to matter.... Is it worth it to try to have him make more armor?

Am I doing something wrong?
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    Are you talking about the Uncommon/rare/epic ones? Those you have to buy, either from the Auction House, or from zen profession packs (which are random). The common (white) ones are trained/hired. Tier one is the one you hire, then you have to hire four of those, and train them into one tier two worker, then you need four tier 2 workers to train one tier 3 worker.

For leadership, this means you hire mercenaries, you take four mercenaries and train them into one guard, you train four guards into one footman.
  • davejustdavedavejustdave Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    You need to rank the profs up by doing some of the available tasks (the gather ones are good). Then when they are rank 2 you can train more of that type of worker.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User

[...]
    For leadership, this means you hire mercenaries, you take four mercenaries and train them into one guard, you train four guards into one footman.

...and this latter step - 4 Guards => 1 Footman - also has a minuscule chance to yield an uncommon Man-at-Arms.
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    At lvl 7 of a profession you can upgrade four rank 1 workers into one rank 2 (white, common) worker, and a lvl 14 you can upgrade four rank 2 workers into one rank 3 (white, common) worker.

As suicidalgodot noted, you have a tiny chance to get a green, uncommon rank 3 worker when you upgrade the rank 2s, but normally the only way to get higher quality workers is from profession packs (look for packs that give you assets, not resources).

The higher quality workers have higher speed to finish tasks faster. To get higher-tier results -- such as Gemmed Exquisite Elemental pants -- you need higher quality tools, specifically 4 mithral hammers or whatever tools work for your profession.

And you are right that in general your profession level will lag way behind your character's level, so that you will never be making gear that your character would want to use until end-game and level 25 professions.
  • cap1776cap1776 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Interesting. I was actually wrong, I only have 2 mercenaries and 2 miners. I will try to hire more. What I do see on the list is odd though. I see a mission to turn 4 green miners to a blue one, (It says I have 0/4), but no mission showing to turn 4 white miners into a green one. The leadership shows no missions to turn mercenaries into anything, but it mentions 4 green man at arms into a blue adventurer, but I dont have any of those...

I wasn't trying for rare or epic workers in particular... and I'm avoiding the Auction House as it just doesn't work for me - I didn't even know that workers were tradeable...they don't show up in inventory like tradeable items...just trying to do more of something with all the stuff I keep collecting.

I'm not even sure which guys really help my class. I figured out mailsmithing is useless to my Paladin, but don't know if the same holds for jewelers or alchemists...are any of those useful for all classes, like leadership appears to be? Those chests seem to be a bit useful for the potions at least, but even though they say they give profession stuff I have never gotten a worker out of one., and I assumed that's what the leadership profession was all about... make chests that give profession stuff like materials and workers.

Any info helps...keep it coming...and thanks folks.

• darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    Oh, I see what you were thinking.

No, the chests that are the rewards from Leadership tasks will never give you workers. You might get Refugees, but those are just a resource for a rare leadership task.

As I stated, the upgrade tasks for rank 1 --> 2 is at level 7, and rank 2 --> 3 is at level 14. The earlier tasks you are seeing are for upgrading the expensive workers that come from lockboxes or profession packs from the zen store.

As for useful professions, Jewelcrafting, Alchemy and Leadership are pretty standard for all classes. Leadership for the AD, gems, refinement stones and potions; Jewelcrafting for the Personalized Rings of Piercing (or Recovery or Regeneration); and Alchemy for making Unified Elements to sell. Alchemy is also the fastest profession to level and lets you unlock the "Get a Profession to 20" slot quickly.

Weaponsmithing and Platesmithing are the other professions that paladins could theoretically use, but unless you are going to invest in the epic tools there is very little point in Platesmithing, and Weaponsmithing is pretty much useless. Better to concentrate on Leadership for ADs, and buy shirts and pants off the AH.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,214 Arc User
    If you don't buy the colour worker (green/blue/purple) from AH or from professional pack (from AH, Zen store or lockbox), you will not have colour workers (unless you look for a very slim chance that you may get a green but I have not encountered the luck in 2 years).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • vjarlvjarl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    Make sure that you are not filtering out tasks that you do not have resources for or filtering high level tasks. That is on your professions screen.
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    ok.
    when a papa profession worker and a mamma profession worker love each other so much the pappa takes his ......
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User

You might get Refugees, but those are just a resource for a rare leadership task.

I always feel bad when I open one of those. I mean, I know refugees always have it rough, but being kept in a little box for days....poor guys.
    yokki1 said:

ok.
    when a papa profession worker and a mamma profession worker love each other so much the pappa takes his ......

I was thinking the same thing ;) You beat me to it.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    yokki1 said:

ok.

I always thought of it more like Thunderdome. Four workers enter, one worker leaves!
  • cap1776cap1776 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    AS I said, Auction House is not an option for me... The other help could be very useful folks...Thank you all. Anything helps.