test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any chance we'll see the foundry back soon?

reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
I know the foundry usually goes down with each new module, but it has been quite some days already since mod 7 hit and we stil haven't had it back nor has anyone mentioned an estimated date for it to go back.
Many of us are interested in knowing when will it be back online.
2e2qwj6.jpg

Comments

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    As of the last patch, I know you can do Foundry quests, but I don't know if you can make them yet. I'll try to get some information about it tomorrow, as everyone is out of the office today.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    thank you. We can indeed play some foundry quests, but the foundry itself is still down.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • richarddalamirricharddalamir Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    The wait is literally killing me xD
    I don't know what I'm doing.

A House Divided [NW-DPF5SD98R] (Take sides in the nefarious drow houses to stop a malevolent plot.) /Not the best lore accuracy./
    * Currently working on and off with a new campaign. *
    so any news on this? it's been roughly 2 weeks since mod 7 hit already, and we have a foundry contest that's coming to an end soon. it would suck to not have it available on the last days of the contest.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • givearandomnamegivearandomname Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    is kinda sad that takes them this long to renable a game feature seems like they need to work on changing way the process works to stream line it for the future
    Namin Soulburner
    NW-DHNVMMGVJ Dragons horde part one.
    http://youtu.be/0KbqTWeJqxc
  • starlightmatrixstarlightmatrix Member Posts: 1 New User
    Is this why I can't use the Foundry? It''s greyed-out on my character selection menu, even with a level 20 character.
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User

Is this why I can't use the Foundry? It''s greyed-out on my character selection menu, even with a level 20 character.

Yes, starlightmatrix:

Link: foundry-down-for-an-undetermined-amount-of-time
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
    it is STILL down? this is the longest time I remember it being down after a new module
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    reiwulf said:

it is STILL down? this is the longest time I remember it being down after a new module

Yeah. :( I'm rather sad, I was going to start working on a new maze quest. :(
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    I think I've stopped wanting the devs to give us an explanation about this. The lack of any information on it for more than a month, after years of ignoring the forundry altogether is probably an answer in itself. its clear the devs don't care for the foundry at all...
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    This is really quite sad. The foundry was one of the big things that made this game stand out two years ago. It was gonna be the wave of the future.. never-ending content... the feel of being a 'dungeon master' ... they really sold it up. And from the very beginning they knew that it would not be a direct channel of income, instead... the concept was that it would make the after-market base much stronger.... which WOULD be a direct channel of income. But since just a few weeks after the original launch .. and all the false starts, snags, glitches, cheats, nerfs... etc.. it became very apparent that the devs really didn't put the foundry high on the list of priorities. Instead of giving us the same tools and assets the designers and developers used, they reasonably allowed us to use a somewhat limited system to build our own adventures... but we don't have half of the assets or stuff the actual company level designers do. They also gave us this really lame system of treasure... i guess, to limit exploitation. Foundry bugs got overlooked or ignored. No reason for the general player of this game to actually try playing a foundry quests was ever given.. (other than the paltry drops)... It soon fell down to the last thing on the to-do list... and they never got to it, at all. I, for one, still have hope that this company will fulfill their original concept and not sell out to the corporate interests.

It's been almost five weeks now, since the latest big game update, and the foundry is still down. To make it worse, the developers have given no word at all concerning the downtime. They have made no explanation at all why the foundry goes down after any update but it is generally assumed that this is to update the existing author-submitted quests. But, even this is speculation. I truly find the foundry to be the very best aspect of this game. The mechanics of the game controls and the game system itself are much like many other games.... it's the foundry that makes this game really different and better. For the game company itself to abandon this part of their own product, and by proxy, those customers that really like that part of their product, seems rather dishonest to me. They advertised this in their game... I just want them to deliver. This company has had some other projects on their plate too.. with the xbox thing and then the regularly scheduled updates. Somewhere in all the company development, they forgot about all the stuff they said back in the convention hall when they were convincing everyone to try their new game. I keep signing in everyday, just to check to see if that foundry button is lit up... I just want them to turn it back on. Dump all the previous quests if you have to... just turn it back on.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    The foundry has never been a truly "big" thing in this game. Except maybe when it was exploited for exp or RP. (for the wrong reasons then).
    There are three elements that effectively kill the Foundry:

1) The rewards are terrible.
    2) The tool is not flexible/powerful enough and does not really allow content makers to properly express themselves. There are too many limitations (think about difficulty calibration or weapon skins).
    3) It's PvE only.

Suggestions to fix the above have been made countless times in the forums by the community and no action has been taken yet.
    The foundry needs a overhaul of the magnitude of mod 6 for it alone to become something relevant, and until the devs decide to dedicate a serious amount of resources and time to it we won't be seeing any improvement.
  • guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    Improvement? Just turn it back on.....
    As for being a big thing... maybe not for you, but it sure was big for some of us. And it was pretty big when they were pitching this game.. just look at all the game reviews. It's this company's fault if the foundry isn't big... it could be.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Reviews for MMOs are worth nothing. MMOs are games that change drastically over the course of years and with a longetivy of hundreds, if not thousands, of hours. What can a review tell about a game that is nothing more than "first impression"? Nothing. Unless it was based on extensive beta-testing. But then again the review would become void a few months later. Please understand that these days reviews are nothing more than another form of marketing.
    As for the foundry itself, it's really nothing special, in fact I'd go as far as saying it's rather bad. There are older games with much better builder tools (NwN 1 and 2). Yes, they are also single player games, but that's only a partial excuse (when it comes to deciding rewards, I understand that it has to be taken away from the builder here) and many other features could be implemented that would not cause any unbalance.
    They can bring it back on, yeah, but as it stands it won't make much of a difference and the devs know this or they would have already worked their asses on bringing it back on as soon as possible with emergency patches.
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    there are also newer games that look like you can play a dungeon master there and have lots of fun. hopefully they will have a nice story editor-maker. talking about "sword coast legends" btw.
    Sword coast doesnt even have real map building though. It just randomly generates tjem but you cant really build them from scratch
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    another week has gone by and we still don't havew any news about it. Is there anything they need to tell us? do they care? do they want to bring it back? anything is better than not knowing :(
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • myrkolithmyrkolith Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    Also for the person saying it was never big, I have been playing since beta, and every Foundry released would usually garauntee at least 10k plays and reviews, If you got a featured Quest you'd easily get 100k+ reviews and plays.

Back then everyone used to play the Foundry, it was an alternative to playing the regular game if you wanted to. Most people chose our stories and adventurers over the actual game. Then they nerfed the rewards and buried the Foundry in the ground so people would have no choice but to play their content.

I miss the Foundry back in it's hayday, it was the best part of this game, but they took care of that rather quickly...
    Conduit of Time: 7 Chapter Campaign in progress (Currently Chapter 6 Released)
    Search @Longshire for 12 Foundry Quests, all are story driven adventures
    Story -- Medium/Heavy, Combat -- Light/Medium, Lore -- Medium/Heavy
    Cryptic has a history in having something very close to an awesome game, and then burn it to mediocre levels on purpose.
    Making the foundy an important part of the game with good non exploitable rewards is not hard at all to do. But yet they instead preferred to nerf it down to useless levels because some peoplw were exploiting it.
    They shot themselves in the foot horribly once again.
    The worst part is they dont even see it. Now they expect to keep us entertained with repetitive short quests with almost no story to them. Horrible decisions one after the other.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User

They crash foundry for anti bot. As someone mentioned in the previous post.

Like the recent dragon h nerf.

All the decisions are only hurt legit players

"Someone" mentioned this? Who and where?
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User

the post right over the one you quoted. But yet they instead preferred to nerf it down to useless levels because some peoplw were exploiting it.
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    yokki1 said:

the post right over the one you quoted. But yet they instead preferred to nerf it down to useless levels because some peoplw were exploiting it.
    This thread is about the foundry being DOWN, ie, not usable at all, not the rewards. People use the foundry because they enjoy making content / playing user created content, not because they expect fantastic rewards from it.

The person I was responding to made it sound like it was confirmed by someone that the foundry was taken down because people were exploiting it, and if that's the case, I'd like something more concrete than 'someone said this'.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Please continue to use the other thread. No need for two threads discussing the same topic. Thanks!

I'll see what I can find out about the Foundry and when I do, I'll post about it there.
This discussion has been closed.