test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stronghold currency farming

gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
edited August 2015 in Player Feedback (PC)
Is it just me or does the idea of farming and grinding old content like Sharandar, Tiamat, Dread Ring etc make you tired? Maybe most players didn't realize yet that you gonna need millions of points just from Well Of Dragons.

I have all my boons, so I already grinded Tiamat and all the other zones and now Strongholds is forcing us all to do it all over again but probably many times more than before. I don't even think its possible to do with guilds with 20-40 players unless you want to spend months or maybe years doing it. Some of the last boon upgrades needs one million points and before you can even get there it needs so much more.

Did you got sick of Tiamat after 50 runs getting the boons? Prepare for 500 more or so. Every day for months. And that's just ONE of the zones currency you need. Then add Sharandar, Ice Wind, Dread Ring etc. Who even has the time to farm all that?

These are so unrealistic goals. I would really want to hear how its intended to work.

I understand that a guild shouldn't reach highest ranks etc in a few days. But is the plan really to force us grind old content for months? Because that's not acceptable to me. It would be a different story if the higher ranks required new currency from future mods because then at least we get to grind new content.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

Comments

• alpehansalpehans Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Your supposed to buy the stronghold boxes in the ZEN shop ofc :wink:
  • gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited August 2015

But is the plan really to force us grind old content for months?

Short answer: yes.
    Kinda hard to already release content from a mod that's not done yet. So what did you expect?
    Perhaps they'll add stuff when Underdark is released, but we won't know till it hits the preview server. And even then there's no guarantee until it goes live.
    Well I understand that until new mods are released, we have to farm old content. But the stronghold already have higher ranks in place and getting them will take several mods. So 1 year from today we would still work to get the highest rank (that are in place today) and those needs currency from old mods and by that time we would also already have 2-3 new mods that we have to farm simultaneously.

I think that maybe, they shouldn't have released all the ranks that they did and maybe they should have added ranks with every new mod. And the ranks that gets added should be achievable by guilds before the next mod (and new ranks) comes out.

The way it is now its simply not realistic by a long shot. The players will get so bored of farming old module quest within 2-4 weeks and what happens then? Stronghold will take a major hit and people will just stop progressing. Actually I think the big stop will come when the guilds reaches the rank 4 marketplace and my own guild is almost there already.

edited August 2015
    Guild hall from rank 7 requires 582k WoD points.
    Marketplace rank 4 requires 396k WoD points.
    Total: Almost a million points.

20 players running Tiamat once gives about 8000p so with 20 people in a guild each player needs to run Tiamat maybe 120 times. And before upgrading those you need to upgrade 6 other structures to rank 3 and some of those are also gonna need WoD points.

Guild hall rank 9 requires 776k WoD points.
    Farm rank 5 requires 561k WoD points.
    Mine rank 5 requires 561k WoD points.
    Quarry rank 3 requires 429k WoD points.
    Milling rank 5 requires 815k WoD points.
    If you wanna upgrade some PvP towers it will add even more.

So in short term, each player in a guild with 20 players gonna need to run Tiamat like 500 times each. In long term you can probably add like over 2000 Tiamat runs for each player. I don't know about other players, but there is no reward in hell that will make me kill that dragon that many times.

On top of all this, you have to add Ice Windale, Sharandar, Dread Ring too.

Honestly, I wouldn't grind this even if they gave me a godmode boon and special powers that could burn whole cities down.

• theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    I've never considered killing Tiamat to be a good usage of my time/effort, so I'm not sure that you want to use it as the comparison for getting WoD points.

I've never considered killing Tiamat to be a good usage of my time/effort, so I'm not sure that you want to use it as the comparison for getting WoD points.

Weekly etc are ofc good too and the dragons. But no matter what you do, you gonna have to do it many many times. In the end, its still gonna be boring and you still gonna wanna kill you self before getting anywhere near the goal.

• theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    Don't forget that running SH HEs gives vouchers though.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    ye its a killing grind but try to see the good that can come out of it.
    A medium guild will take 2 years to finish this, a big guild 1 year or a little more.
    This means that mainhand and offhand from stronghold are supposed ( but hey its cryptic so who knows ) to be BiS for like 1 year ? lets hope so.

maybe we will finally see some fantasy back in gearing. like earrings and difficult dungeons where they drop.
    maybe and i say maybe they are going to stop this artifact HAMSTER madness releasing a definitive set of those for the ones willing to use them.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    Why do you have to kill Tiamat to get WoD point? I did not even kill Tiamat once.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    I think we have 50~70 active members, but its still quite a grind to get the WoD points... :(
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • commanderdata002commanderdata002 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Thats true. Campaign resources will eventually run out and will be a big problem.
    We are moderatelly motivated for Influence farm but its hard to motivate to go back farming old campaigns.

Those (white) vouchers should have higher RNG and/or give more campaign resources and/or be sellable and/or should drop from any maps and dungeons for example.
    stock and stone I can master, but there's a Wizard to manage here!
    edited August 2015
    My "first world problem" is the coffer too small and I can't donate. It took 18+ slots in my inventory. There are voucher drops when you kill random folks in Stronghold. I "feel" it drops more than HE (in terms of time spend). Killing the dragon (even 1) also gives you some high value voucher. However, as I said, my problem is I can't donate including the WoD voucher. :(
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • myrkolithmyrkolith Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    Strongholds is meant to be something that is active and useful for the entirety of the game moving forward, it's not a 2-3 month Module like the previous ones. They can always go in and change the higher end rewards to require various newer currencies and drop some of the older ones as they make new Modules, since they don't expect you to be able to complete everything before Mod 8.

They are basically looking at Strongholds as an alternative, you can grind epic dungeons and save up marks to buy the dungeon gear, or you can work together with your guild to earn the Strongholds gear instead. Now there isn't only 1 way to get the best gear. If you look at the collections page you can see that there is very small differences between Stronghold armor and the Epic suits like Elven, Elemental etc. Actually a small correction there now there is 3 ways to earn gear, Strongholds, Dungeon running, and grinding pvp matches.

Obviously we won't know until Mod 8, however it would be easy for them to put a suit you earn through Mod 8 content, and add another suit you earn through Strongholds to continue to give 2 ways to earn gear.

Overall I am loving Strongholds simply for the fact that guilds are playing together more often now, instead of sort of doing our own thing other than dungeon runs...
    Conduit of Time: 7 Chapter Campaign in progress (Currently Chapter 6 Released)
    Search @Longshire for 12 Foundry Quests, all are story driven adventures
    Story -- Medium/Heavy, Combat -- Light/Medium, Lore -- Medium/Heavy
    edited September 2015
    myrkolith said:

Overall I am loving Strongholds simply for the fact that guilds are playing together more often now, instead of sort of doing our own thing other than dungeon runs...

+++. Although the content is kind of boring, I have the most fun these days comparing with the past 2 years because of the guild bonding.
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    I'm glad it takes a ton to upgrade. I don't want every guild having the exact same stronghold even 2 years from now. Some will have pvp towers and some won't, it'll make things more interesting. I hope that with each mod they add new options of things to build so the guilds will have to choose, do we want a stronghold that helps our crafters or do we want greater pvp defenses etc. Make it where they can't have both of something where choices will matter just as much as the grinding..