test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unplayable Network Lag

Comments

• plutoniumoreplutoniumore Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    little more info, I'm on Xbone, in northern illinois, has been playable for about an hour now that i know of, no changes it the tracert.

Am on Comcast residential
  • phrank224phrank224 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Still not playable via Comcast, though works fine over Verizon. Tracert using either ISPshows the same mysterious missed hop at 19.

The issue appears to be a Comcast routing and NOT related to Cryptic that is causing some major latency (which would appear to the user as disconnects).

A tracert through Verizon takes completely different set of hops and plays without issue.

For those of you in the IT field, Comcast and routing always seem to be an issue even on their business and Metro E (fiber) lines.

*Edit*

Was able to test over a Cogent line, and confirm it works there as well. I would be curious to see if ATT users are also in the clear, further pointing to an issue with Comcast routing in certain geographically areas.
  • halfquarthalfquart Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 41 Arc User
    Comcast is my ISP. Every single trace-route I've seen in this thread is from a Comcast customer. Until I see a player with another ISP with the same symptoms posted by the OP, I see no reason not to conclude that this is an issue specific to Comcast customers. It may be that Comcast is purely at fault, or it may be that Comcast has changed something on its network that interacts improperly with something on Cryptic's side.

At another poster's suggestion, I just used my mobile phone as an Internet hot-spot. The game runs nearly perfectly. Since Friday night (10:00 pm PDT), Neverwinter has been unplayable for me - even the simplest chores such as invocation or professions management took a full hour for a rotation of my nine alts. Using my mobile hot-spot, the game is instantly playable. I have swapped back and forth with consistent, replicable results.

I have ruled out Comcast DNS servers as the source. I configured my networking to use Google's public DNS servers as well as OpenDNS' servers. No change in symptoms.

In my experience with Comcast as a business networking provider, I have experienced a number of regional networking failures attributable to conflicting routing information as well as mysteriously resurrected obsolete routing information. While I find difficult to believe that this would be the cause of what looks to be a multi-regional problem, it would not surprise me. The result of such blunders is that two or more entries exist on Comcast's network for the same IP address. When the IP address is yours, this means that internet traffic cannot reliably make a round trip between your computer or router and the remote destination. While this sort of error won't noticeably interfere with streaming cat videos, it will hugely impact activities such as playing games. I don't claim that this is the nature of the problem with Neverwinter this weekend - but I do claim to have experienced these symptoms before with Comcast and can make a strong argument against blithely placing the blame at Cryptic's doorstep.

• mattmonroemattmonroe Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    Except for the fact that that it could just as easily be a local cryptic routing table or arp screwup, also if it is an issue on the Comcast side, it is the onus of Cryptic to be working with them to resolve the issue that is *ONLY* happening with their product(s)
  • mcgheequedariusmcgheequedarius Member Posts: 2 New User
    Every since saturday morning i haven't been able to log in at all. I live in Memphis, TN. Every other game is working fine besides Neverwinter. They should at least extend the time for the double enchantments and rhinestones because was really trying to get alot of them just in case double refinement came up this week. hope this issue gets resolved ASAP!!!
  • mcgheequedariusmcgheequedarius Member Posts: 2 New User
    > @mcgheequedarius said:
    > Every since saturday morning i haven't been able to log in at all. I live in Memphis, TN. Every other game is working fine besides Neverwinter. They should at least extend the time for the double enchantments and rhinestones because was really trying to get a lot of them just in case double refinement came up this week. hope this issue gets resolved ASAP!!!
    Oh and I also have comcast! Fastest ISP here!
  • kominatchakominatcha Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    At least most poster's are finally realizing the fault here is Comcast. Fastest ISP? How about worse run Company in the Country more like it. I used to live in a city where I could switch between fiber and Comcast and did it every time that I had an issue. Only then did I start getting calls from management level employees at Comcast to determine "what they could do to retain my business". Instead of posting tracerout's and wasting energy here maybe you should google alternate ISP in your area, call them, and switch. It is the only way Comcast even pays attention. They don't even have a real complaints department as far as I can tell.
    edited August 2015

At least most poster's are finally realizing the fault here is Comcast. Fastest ISP? How about worse run Company in the Country more like it. I used to live in a city where I could switch between fiber and Comcast and did it every time that I had an issue. Only then did I start getting calls from management level employees at Comcast to determine "what they could do to retain my business". Instead of posting tracerout's and wasting energy here maybe you should google alternate ISP in your area, call them, and switch. It is the only way Comcast even pays attention. They don't even have a real complaints department as far as I can tell.

Not all of us have the luxury of fiber runs, Copper coax or att dsl runs are all tat is available unless I want wireless at x2 the cost. Comcast is the monopoly in parts.
  • halfquarthalfquart Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 41 Arc User
    For what it's worth, for the last 30 or so minutes, Neverwinter and Gateway have been normal and stable over my Comcast connection (San Francisco Bay Area). Interestingly, my downstream bandwidth is now triple what it has always been, according to three different online speed testing utilities. I wonder if this entire mess has to do with Comcast speed upgrades? It would not be the first time Comcast has arrogantly rolled out networking changes without informing its customers (to be fair, I do not monitor my Comcast email account, so there may be some form of communication on the matter....but I doubt it).
  • jadeddarkeangeljadeddarkeangel Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Ok so from about 10am eastern time until about an hour ago my comcast service was running perfectly, no lag, noe server not responding issue or anything. Then all of a sudden I am disconnected and have had nothing but lag and disconnects ever since! What happened?
  • regornamregornam Member Posts: 9 New User
    > @jadeddarkeangel said:
    > Ok so from about 10am eastern time until about an hour ago my comcast service was running perfectly, no lag, noe server not responding issue or anything. Then all of a sudden I am disconnected and have had nothing but lag and disconnects ever since! What happened?

Who knows? Does it matter? Arc and Comcast still get paid while we can't connect.
    Welp, was good for a few hours, unplayable again.
  • jadeddarkeangeljadeddarkeangel Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    ok maybe a weird coincidence but as soon as Neverwinter started the stupid twitter giveaway again I got the immediate lag! No problems until I got the tweet about giving away the Pheora
    FYI, it's somehow WORSE than it was yesterday. Also, the deafening silence from the mods/support today is pretty telling...
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2015
    regornam said:

FYI, it's somehow WORSE than it was yesterday. Also, the deafening silence from the mods/support today is pretty telling...

Sorry, it is Sunday. I finally got some good sleep and had to clean the house, as this is day one of me having a stable residence after moving across Country a few weeks ago.

Alas, there's no new updates on the present issue and the last update remains pertinent still: That the Devs cannot find any issue on our Network but are continuing to monitor things and trying and find out what is causing issues. I'm sending out a request for an update now and when we hear word, we'll post about it in the Sticky thread and probably here too.
  • atlmyklatlmykl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 37 Arc User
    Has anyone from PWE actually tried contacting Comcast and Cogent and tried working out the connectivity issues? Is it too easy to see the severs are up and other ISP's are fine and just hoist the white flag ( Our hardware seems fine so meh). Weekend and Sunday cannot be used as an excuse. It is your prime business time and people are starting to try new games. You are losing customers.
    Xbox/Microsoft CDNs are also impacted with slowness. I'm going to guess there is a routing nightmare going on after the Level 3 outage. Going to take a bit for all ISPs edge gateways to update. Comcast may be one of those taking longer than normal to update.

I can't post links yet, but it you check on Neowin you'll find an article about the Xbox Live slowness.
    edited August 2015
    @zebular said:

Alas, there's no new updates on the present issue and the last update remains pertinent still: That the Devs cannot find any issue on our Network but are continuing to monitor things and trying and find out what is causing issues. I'm sending out a request for an update now and when we hear word, we'll post about it in the Sticky thread and probably here too.

Thanks. As we've said, it was working great up until around 11 AM PT, and then it all went to sh*t again.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    Update, 2015-08-30:

Hey folks! I just got an update. It's not what we want to hear but at least it means they have found the issue! The connection issue has been pinpointed to being an issue on the Internet Service Provider that the Cryptic Servers connect to and through. Alas, this means the Tech Team and Developers cannot resolve the issue, so we are now waiting for our ISP to correct the issue. We do apologize it has taken so long to find the cause but at least now the wheels are in motion to get this resolved.
  • kwaimaokwaimao Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I have had the same problem with lag, frequent disconnects and server not responding since Friday evening 8/28/15. I live in east TN and am a Comcast/Xfinity subscriber as well, and due to the aforementioned issues am currently unable to play the game in any way, shape or form. Yet any other device requiring internet works fine, as does anything else on my laptop using the internet with the exception of Neverwinter. I look forward to hearing of any possible solutions or remedies sometime in the near future :)
  • atlmyklatlmykl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 37 Arc User
    zebular said:

Update, 2015-08-30:

Hey folks! I just got an update. It's not what we want to hear but at least it means they have found the issue! The connection issue has been pinpointed to being an issue on the Internet Service Provider that the Cryptic Servers connect to and through. Alas, this means the Tech Team and Developers cannot resolve the issue, so we are now waiting for our ISP to correct the issue. We do apologize it has taken so long to find the cause but at least now the wheels are in motion to get this resolved.

So Cogent...
    > @atlmykl said:
    > Update, 2015-08-30:
    >
    > Hey folks! I just got an update. It's not what we want to hear but at least it means they have found the issue! The connection issue has been pinpointed to being an issue on the Internet Service Provider that the Cryptic Servers connect to and through. Alas, this means the Tech Team and Developers cannot resolve the issue, so we are now waiting for our ISP to correct the issue. We do apologize it has taken so long to find the cause but at least now the wheels are in motion to get this resolved.
    >
    >
    >
    > So Cogent...

Well rather Cogent and Comcast together as their servers work fine on all other service providers :)
    Great update! now wish they'd get movin and fix it. I've been way too productive today.
  • laslobolaslobo Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    zebular said:

Update, 2015-08-30:

Zebular - was there and estimate given by your ISP on resolution of the aformentioned issue.

Q
  • xhekkimxhekkim Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Zeb, thank you for the updates!!

I've been browsing the Comcast forums for the same issues; I'm seeing the same problems, but from 2013. x_x So, hopefully, Cogent and Comcast will (eventually) fix the problems.
    edited August 2015
    laslobo said:

zebular said:

Update, 2015-08-30:

Zebular - was there and estimate given by your ISP on resolution of the aformentioned issue.

Q
    Sorry, nay I haven't been told any ETA yet. When we get word, we'll update here and in the Sticky asap.
    xhekkim said:

Zeb, thank you for the updates!!

I've been browsing the Comcast forums for the same issues; I'm seeing the same problems, but from 2013. x_x So, hopefully, Cogent and Comcast will (eventually) fix the problems.

My pleasure! Just wish is was better news. :neutral:
    edited August 2015
    "The connection issue has been pinpointed to being an issue on the Internet Service Provider that the Cryptic Servers connect to and through"

Ah, so, basically what we've been saying for 2 days. Excellent :)
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    Comcast? Fix a problem? HA! Fat chance!

In all seriousness, I hope that the double RP weekend ALSO counts as a double AD weekend or something, to compensate us for lost time :P
  • minionbobminionbob Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Time to find a new isp that doesn't suck then?
This discussion has been closed.