test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"PLEASE FIX DISPLAY DRIVER LOGIN PROBLEM - WE CAN'T GET IN TO PLAY!" Solved-but bad graphics now :(

blackwidowskissblackwidowskiss Member Posts: 73 Arc User
edited August 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
"Display driver stopped but has recovered" - followed by gameclient freeze. (and NO game)

LOTS of us have this problem. Please figure out things on YOUR end. Maybe a Rollback? Or maybe you can fix it internally without a rollback. All i know is that there are TONS of us who can't get in to play.

I already had to use the options screen and click 'force verify' and 'safe mode' to get it to load even BEFORE any of this.

(Many people did.)

A LOT of people are upset - You KNEW about this display driver issue before you went forward with this update... and didn't care?

You do realize we can't even get into the game to spend money on you right? The people that CAN get on have horrendous lag. My friend has an Alienware gaming comp - the game runs like cack now after this update... we have both spent money on this game.

Post edited by blackwidowskiss on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I played all night. Rolling back my progress would stop me from paying and I was thinking of buying some vip time.

edit*
    Also it didn't run badly for me all night and I don't really have anything special. BTW alienware is just dell with an expensive logo on it nowdays. imo.
  • Options
    thegreatmikeythegreatmikey Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    Charononus, I am pleased that you are able to play and hope you are enjoying the bejeebers out of it. Keep on doing it.

A lot of us wish we were in your shoes.
  • Options
    I've had games not work for me. Back several years ago during WoW's WotLK my client didn't work there for about two weeks iirc. Calling for them to fix it is one thing. Calling for them to roll everything back and screw the people it does work for is another.
  • Options
    fenyxdrayvenfenyxdrayven Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Im on a crappy PC with a graphics card that must be 6 years old now, possibly more, 9800 gtx, and honestly its run smooth as glass for me all night. Also being entirely honest, I havent experienced any notable lag at all tonight, its been great, a couple of lostmauth runs without any weird <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> going on, VT, the whole stronghold zone, IWD etc, its run fantastically for me tonight, yet whatever, I may have just been one of a lucky few, who knows...

"I already had to use the options screen and click 'force verify' and 'safe mode' to get it to load even BEFORE any of this."
    You're stating there that you already had previous problems that others dont have under normal circumstances, does that not indicate to you in the very least that there are issues with your configuration ? or should each and every software developer out there account for the hardware set up of every possible PC going ?

Are you by any chance using an ATI card on catalyst suite? Are you running any antivirus on constant passive scans etc ?

The error you state is generally caused by the graphics card drivers not detecting a response in over 2 seconds or so, it does that to avoid potentially worse crashes by presuming its heading towards locking up totally... its like a bit of an air bag, there as a safety feature in the driver code, and affects many people on many different configurations on many different programs, Even chrome and firefox can have crashes like this, so, they should withdraw their software shouldnt they ? oh, and i shouldnt forget, they should also compensate all the users of their free software too, shouldnt they ? There are some ways of adjusting the registry entries to extend this buffer time and give that a try, but honestly i cant be arsed to go through that, some site called google might be more bothered to help you out with that.

Also when reinstalling graphic drivers, did you consider reinstalling directx at all ?

I understand it worked yesterday, and it doesnt today, its frustrating i can believe that, however its affected some friends and guildies, yet none of them come out with such an absurd view of rolling it back pre mod etc.

And i'd just like to add, if you didnt appear to be such a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in your posts, i wouldnt be such a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in my reply

Also, you state your friend has an alienware, which is a bit of a moot point, you apparently need to run the game in safe mode to even launch, yet an i3, 4gb RAM and a graphics card from 2008 runs it fine, whats your spec ?

• Options
    kacsaneverkacsanever Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    "Display driver stopped but has recovered" - followed by gameclient freeze. (and NO game)

LOTS of us have this problem. Please figure out things on YOUR end. Maybe a Rollback? Or maybe you can fix it internally without a rollback. All i know is that there are TONS of us who can't get in to play.

I already had to use the options screen and click 'force verify' and 'safe mode' to get it to load even BEFORE any of this.

(Many people did.)

A LOT of people are upset - You KNEW about this display driver issue before you went forward with this update... and didn't care?

You do realize we can't even get into the game to spend money on you right? The people that CAN get on have horrendous lag. My friend has an Alienware gaming comp - the game runs like cack now after this update... we have both spent money on this game.
    2 things you should try to not crash b/c of video driver:
    1. use the option in launcher and type in at the bottom command line option: -d3d9
    2. if you had ATI VGA card, forget the latest (15.x.y....) driver. The 14.z.w.... version (from last december as far as I remember) is more stable. I rolled back to it after having driver crash in every 5-10 minutes even w/ -d3d9. It does not prevent me to have 2-3 second freezes, but at least no crash.

The first time login loading screen delay (10-20 mins) happened w/ mod6 and maybe w/ mod5, too. Turn off Win power saving by setting Maximum Performance in Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power Options for the first login to prevent the OS to turn off HDD/go to Sleep/Hibernate. The second and upcoming loading are fast so you are free to switch it back after the first successful Character Screen.
  • Options
    magenubbie wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about your progress if it is at the expense of MANY people not being able to play AT ALL - They either need to fix this issue, or tell us what to do to make the game work... OR ROLL BACK if they can't do one of the first two. Nice to know you are the kind of person who would just happily ride by on your horse and keep on adventuring as you watch someone get killed near you. Great Guild/Party material you are! :)
    You're no better are you?. Demanding a rollback because a few 100 people can't get their act together where there's 1000s of people enjoying the game right now. You've got some nerve calling people bad company.

Im not even counting the fact that you think you're special just because you claim to have spent money on this game. Like you're the only customer who does that.. pathetic.

Without that attitude I'd sympathize with your problems. But clearly not giving a whoot about the 1000s of people that can play just because you cannot just earned you a place on my forum ignore list and for good measure I added your forum name as blocked @handle in-game. Good riddance I say.
    This is it exactly. I've had games go unplayable it sucks. Like I said I had my client for a sub game go unplayable for about two weeks before. It was a ppc client bug in macs during wow's wotlk expansion. It sucks, it makes you angry but it unfortunately happens sometimes. Asking that they fix it, asking if anyone has a work around, etc is fine. It's when people start trying to make things just as bad for others that is where things go wrong.
    fen, ur condescending reply is intriguing, however - I am not the only one who had to use the force verify and safe mode, many of us did. My computer is fairly new, not even a year old, it runs windows 8.1, Intel Celeron N2840, Intel HD Graphics - 8 GB Memory - 1000 GB HDD.

As new as my computer is, i shouldn't have to screw with registry files and tinker around with fixes to get a game like this to work. I should just click the button and be playing. It worked fine. They changed it - now it doesn't.

I would be happy to tinker if they post a fix for this. But as i stated already, they knew this was an issue with many people before this mod was released. If they can't fix it or tell us how to fix it ourselves. I see no other option than a rollback until they can figure out how to make it work for everyone.

You just got lucky. yay for you - it works.. for you.

Others didn't get that lucky.

Nice ad hominem attack. Guess what I've been trying to help posting my system specs and gameprefs.prefs file contents in case someone with the problem can find something different. You might want to try less pointless rage and attacking others and more doing something productive.

• Options
    where to start.....
    fen, ur condescending reply is intriguing, however
    However good it feels to use long words, it is totally undermined by using 'ur'
    - I am not the only one who had to use the force verify and safe mode, many of us did. My computer is fairly new, not even a year old, it runs windows 8.1, Intel Celeron N2840, Intel HD Graphics - 8 GB Memory - 1000 GB HDD.
    Actually left me a little speechless for a few seconds there, its a laptop, with integrated graphics on shared RAM...
    As new as my computer is, i shouldn't have to screw with registry files and tinker around with fixes to get a game like this to work. I should just click the button and be playing. It worked fine. They changed it - now it doesn't.
    I understand that, and i feel for you, however consider the changes that an update like strongholds has probably bought to the backend core of the game, the map is huge, they most likely made changes in the precaching to allow for this, its also entirely possible that theres shader changes or updates made too, as <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> evolves over time, its not like the game today looks like it did 2 years ago, its been improved over time
    I would be happy to tinker if they post a fix for this. But as i stated already, they knew this was an issue with many people before this mod was released. If they can't fix it or tell us how to fix it ourselves. I see no other option than a rollback until they can figure out how to make it work for everyone.
    Then why not help them help you instead.
    why not include your specs in the original, or a dxdiag read out. Throwing your toys out the pram in the manner you did isnt going to help anyone out other than "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> worked before, now it dont, roll it back to appease me and my friend now!"
    They arent psychic, its like you call a dealer and go mental about your car breaking down, without telling them the make or model and demanding replacement parts etc... you understand the logic there, right ?

Majority of forums etc, you will generally hear the angry few. Its much more common that people actually getup on their soapbox and have a moan than randomly post praise for something. You may feel like 'almost everyone' has this problem, and i dont deny it exists, but you need to take things into consideration before venting in a manner like that ...

• Options
    where to start.....
    fen, ur condescending reply is intriguing, however
    However good it feels to use long words, it is totally undermined by using 'ur'

This is bad but you did make me giggle with that. I can't count how many times I think this online.
    I understand that, and i feel for you, however consider the changes that an update like strongholds has probably bought to the backend core of the game, the map is huge, they most likely made changes in the precaching to allow for this, its also entirely possible that theres shader changes or updates made too, as <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> evolves over time, its not like the game today looks like it did 2 years ago, its been improved over time

After seeing really similar problems with a wine install in mod4 I think it was. I'm guessing that the problem is the shader compilation on somewhat older model gpu's though I hate to use the word gpu for intel HD video.

One final thing is that I looked up my wotlk patch problems and it was between 3.2.2 and 3.2.2a which was about a week not two weeks so my memory was off. I just wanted to mention that before someone tried to figure it out and called me on it being only one week.
  • Options
    bluangelukbluangeluk Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Just for those who are at their wits end. I tried for 5 hours, everything imaginable to get in game last night. Force verify, safe mode, update graphics drivers, complete reinstall, deleted prefs files, restarted pc, -d3d11 in command line.

Elsewhere on the forums, someone indicated that they were successful with "-d3d11Enable 0" in the command line of the launcher.
    I tried that this morning and finally... here I am in Protector's Enclave. It has also worked for another person in my guild. I am sure a genuine fix will be available as soon as they can figure one out.
    "Here's a circle... I'm not sure it's a real circle, so don't trust it too much!" Idril (AoGlyph)
    9abea38.png
  • Options
    rapcx1981rapcx1981 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    bluangeluk wrote: »
    Just for those who are at their wits end. I tried for 5 hours, everything imaginable to get in game last night. Force verify, safe mode, update graphics drivers, complete reinstall, deleted prefs files, restarted pc, -d3d11 in command line.

Elsewhere on the forums, someone indicated that they were successful with "-d3d11Enable 0" in the command line of the launcher.
    I tried that this morning and finally... here I am in Protector's Enclave. It has also worked for another person in my guild. I am sure a genuine fix will be available as soon as they can figure one out.

• Options
    Youve disabled DX11 rendering in the runtime, disabling the advanced shaders which is why it isnt all purdy anymore. In the rendering options you should still be able to select between DX9 and DX11 once in game in safe mode.

Log in with safemode and DX disabled, go into the options and enable one of the DX9 options and have it at a sensible resolution, not the absolute maximum thats available, it should still run fine, after that i would expect youll be able to modify most of the graphics settings without problem.

Do you have the option of seeing more details on the crash error message ? is there any reference anywhere to a folder called Neverwinter_en\cef_cache in any of the errors ?
  • Options
    glantorxglantorx Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    Plays for a bit the display driver quits - Latest AMD drivers and Windows 10......Funny STOL works fine? Please FIX IT!
  • Options
    ive just changed my settings to stop using my 9800 and use "direct3d9ex" with my onboard graphics chip and its loaded up fine in "windowed maximized"

Those that are having this problem, is it on laptop's or desktop's too ?

Youre probably still thinking that its some issue purely with neverwinter, but too many other games have similar issues especially with onboard chips, but its nearly always in certain cases with certain setups. Stuff like a dxdiag specification report is very helpful in cases like this as it helps knowing which onboard chipset you have, 2000 and 3000HD only fully support dx10.1, yet the 2500hd and 4000hd chipsets support dx11.
  • Options
    mryoung1104mryoung1104 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    On the steam discussion board, it seems that safemode makes it playable, which as i'm told, is just completely crapping on the graphics resolution. They must have a / instead of a \ somewhere in their coding for the graphics after last patch. Their silence on this issue is what disturbs me most. It's obviously a problem for loads of people, myself included.

If someone can pinpoint which resolutions are effected and how to avoid just those, that'd be helpful.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    biovampbiovamp Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    same as everybody win7 "NVIDIA Display driver stopped but has recovered" (with updated graphics), thx to bluangeluk 's post I came into the came with safe-mode setting and the "-d3d11Enable 0" command. BUT THAT IS NOT A SOLUTION, that's a white hat hack (guys, let's pretend I used that as a catch-phrase to not offend anyone).
    THIS IS YET ANOTHER FRAK UP ON ARC's part (remember elemental evel launch week? and how about the reward package after it?). We should be asking that INSTAEAD of a new module, ARC fixed the game: Any unjutifiable lag in a particular zone anybody? Any broken powers much?
    I LOVE the game, but pls ARC make it the game whose stablility I loved in module 3 and 4, nobody's going to stop playing it if you did a fix instead of a mod in 6 months, specially if you were to spice up events.

• Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    biovamp wrote: »
    pls ARC make it the game whose stability I loved in module 2 3 and 4

There - I fixed that for you :)

I remember Mod 3's issues with all of the Black Ice dropping everywhere. The fix - reduce the number of objects. The other big issue was all of the character powers/boons triggering massive lag during HEs. Remember when the Black Ice Mining HE (not the one in the PvP zone) actually dropped black ice when you beat it? Good times those were.

Mod 4 - same thing only with dragons. Mod 5 - ditto. I don't know if it's the DirectX issue or if the servers cant handle all of the calculations that are being fed to it from everyone's local client but I can unequivocally state this - I have no graphics issues on any other game that I play whether it's an MMO or a local game.

Mod 2 was the last stable release (other than MC) that I can actually point to and say "Yes, that was WAI."

We continue to have to research work-arounds for an obvious coding issue. Whether it's Microsoft's issue or Cryptics, I don't know. I do know that it has been with us for a long time.
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    Another alternative to make it work is type -d3d9 into the command line and run the game in safe mode.

I would like to mention that acting like an <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> really doesn't entice people to help with you or even side with you. I was tempted not to even reply to this thread with another solution, but for the sake of everyone else experiencing the same bug, I decided to anyways. Next time you ask for help, some pleases, thank yous, and not shitting on everyone who's able to play the game will really work wonders. But that's just my two cents, I can't really speak for everyone else.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    In order to keep everything in one spot, all threads about the graphics crash issue are being closed and redirected to the thread that StrumSlinger (Andy) created, with a list of possible fixes. Please go here to continue this discussion. Thank you.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
This discussion has been closed.