test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

VIP benefits depreciates Lathander set bonus

beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
edited August 2015 in Player Feedback (PC)
Whatever criticisms you want to make about how injuries are inflicted, or whether or not it's easy to afford enough injury kits, I think we can all agree that immunity to injuries is a pretty nice convenience.

Immunity to injuries was kind of a big flippin' deal to people who had collected a full Lathander set. Yes, the group buff if you get raised is still nice, but it's really situational too, since it requires that you either run SF or be in a position where someone can pick you up.

It might be worth considering to take a look at the bonus on this set again, and see if something can be added to make it once again as special as the difficulty in acquiring the artifact warrants.

(One idea - immunity to res sickness)
Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
Post edited by beckylunatic on

Comments

• Options
    iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    Where is the evidence they are nerfing that particular bonus? I can't find it in any patch notes from Preview...
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • Options
    One of the perks of a VIP rank is immunity to injuries, which makes this set bonus irrelevant if you're also buying VIP.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    So the bonus isn't exclusive to the set anymore is what you're saying? Or are you saying they are removing the bonus entirely from the set itself?
  • Options
    Isn't exclusive, and can effectively be purchased.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    Well then, I won't have to hand out as many kits in dungeons as I have been. The immunity to resurrect sickness certainly is a good suggestion though.
  • Options
    oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    Or maybe they could buff up lathander set bonus. It is very hard to complete after all.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I am very sad about this as well. :( I do hope they do something different and maybe better with the Lathander set bonus. I don't know if I should hang on to my set after I get a new one or use it to refine whatever new set I decide to go with.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    The introduction of new gear is not a nerf to old gear. The introduction of the VIP system is not a nerf to the Lathander set. The Lathander set's existing features being less useful with the addition of new gameplay elements is simply the result of evolving game play.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The introduction of new gear is not a nerf to old gear. The introduction of the VIP system is not a nerf to the Lathander set. The Lathander set's existing features being less useful with the addition of new gameplay elements is simply the result of evolving game play.

So we should take this as gospel because you say so? LOL no it's definitely a nerf to the Lathander set any way you slice it.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    Only if you use an arbitrarily ridiculous definition of the word "nerf." When artifact weapons were released, that wasn't a nerf to T1 and T2 weapons. Those weapons became irrelevant, sure, but they weren't reduced in power or effectiveness; they are just no longer useful due to new options that become available.

To nerf something is to adjust its stats or how it works in the gameplay environment. You can sort-of-kind-of-maybe argue that this is a "stealth nerf" to the Lathander set, in the way that decreasing enemy HP might be considered a stealth nerf to an effect that deals damage as a percentage of the target's HP. But this is nonsensical sophistry, designed to come to the conclusion that something that does not change the functionality of the item set itself is any way is a nerf.

If you call the VIP pass a nerf to the Lathander set, then every module ever that has gear even marginally better than existing gear is a nerf to all existing gear. This is such a ridiculously broad definition of the word "nerf" that it loses all meaning.
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    That bonus is not the main bonus of lathander set. Main bonus is also the HP resurrection at 50% which, with new HP pools being much bigger than a potion, is a good thing. For PvP too, after changes to negation and ArP interaction, i believe SF+Lathander set could now be again a very good survivability option.

Also, keep in mind: to keep that bonus active you need to first reach rank 7 = 7 months of active VIP = 7000 zen total, then after that you need, if i got it right, to keep it active or it deactivates after 30 days.
    So basically, correct me if i'm wrong, you need to keep paying 1000 zen= 500k AD converted each month for 7 months. After 7 months you get rank 7 which grants the immunity for the next 30 days, after which VIP expires and you need to re-activate it.

Lathander set is cheaper, 100% active all the time plus the resurrection healing bonus.

Much better.
  • Options
    jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    You know...I forgot the lathander's set did have that one last little line you are immune from injuries. Well I'll be....guess the set is getting a nerf then after all from the VIP stuff. -.- How amusing.

My DC disapproves!

The bonuses from the greater cloak and greater belt are still useful to her though, but it would make sense to do something else with the 3 piece set bonus now though since it's going to be redundant.

I like the rez sickness immunity idea. I honestly haven't paid attention to if you get rez sickness when lathander's procs or not though. Doesn't seem like you should get rez sickness. Too something to consider is maybe including a defense/deflect bonus on resurrect to work like the recovery bonus does.

Or just change it altogether to a flat 10% defense and deflect for 10 seconds on resurrect bonus, dump the recovery, tone down the 50% heal to 35%, and add in the immunity to rez sickness for 5 minutes and give the whole thing an ITC of 10 minutes for each player it procs on (meaning player A dies he gets resurrect immediately and has to wait 10 minutes to be eligible again and player B dies 3 seconds after player A....player B gets resurrect immediately and has to wait 10 minutes while that 3 seconds of time lapsed player A's ITC is now at 9 minutes 57 seconds). That would be a nice 3 piece set bonus keeping within the confines of give and take.
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Whatever criticisms you want to make about how injuries are inflicted, or whether or not it's easy to afford enough injury kits, I think we can all agree that immunity to injuries is a pretty nice convenience.

Immunity to injuries was kind of a big flippin' deal to people who had collected a full Lathander set. Yes, the group buff if you get raised is still nice, but it's really situational too, since it requires that you either run SF or be in a position where someone can pick you up.

It might be worth considering to take a look at the bonus on this set again, and see if something can be added to make it once again as special as the difficulty in acquiring the artifact warrants.

(One idea - immunity to res sickness)

I don't remember cryptic caring about invalidating/depreciating/etc. anything in their game.

Also, what about those who choose not to buy that level of VIP or invest in VIP at all? Why should your status and those like you affect those who are not as endowed? Why not make changes to the VIP level instead to keep the Lathander set viable?
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    pando83 wrote: »

<snipped>

After 7 months you get rank 7 which grants the immunity for the next 30 days, after which VIP expires and you need to re-activate it.

Lathander set is cheaper, 100% active all the time plus the resurrection healing bonus.

Much better.

You have a valid point here no doubt. Still remains though for those that are VIP and have the Lathander set too...there sorta get a shaft versus 7 month still active VIP's without Lathander's.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    I might as well say "I never rush companion training, so I'm getting the shaft for rank 7-12 VIP! They should change it because I personally will not get value from it!"

The primary bonus on Lathander's set was rezzes giving a 50% healthbar heal for your entire team. That is still unique to the set.
  • Options
    oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    pando83 wrote: »
    That bonus is not the main bonus of lathander set. Main bonus is also the HP resurrection at 50% which, with new HP pools being much bigger than a potion, is a good thing. For PvP too, after changes to negation and ArP interaction, i believe SF+Lathander set could now be again a very good survivability option.

Also, keep in mind: to keep that bonus active you need to first reach rank 7 = 7 months of active VIP = 7000 zen total, then after that you need, if i got it right, to keep it active or it deactivates after 30 days.
    So basically, correct me if i'm wrong, you need to keep paying 1000 zen= 500k AD converted each month for 7 months. After 7 months you get rank 7 which grants the immunity for the next 30 days, after which VIP expires and you need to re-activate it.

Much better.

This is true, but still there is a redundancy. When having certain status renders another useless you really need to make some changes, no matter how small.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    As a person that has never seen the Eye drop on any of my 6 daily lair toons (in two years), I have to say MEH to this :)
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Or just change it altogether to a flat 10% defense and deflect for 10 seconds on resurrect bonus

I would second something like this, in addition to its current bonuses.

However, with the immunity to rez sickness, one of the boons from the Temple is a reduction in the duration of Revive Sickness (-30s at Rank 3, and -4min at Rank 10), which would devalue that boon for wearers of Lathander's cloak ... although that would free up another utility boon, so maybe it might be worth it ... hmm

I was thinking about getting a Transcendent SF (which has a cooldown of 75s), and with a 1min Revive sickness duration, my character could be tactically dying to heal everybody in tough situations.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • Options
    The Lathander set is still viable. The redundancy of two similar game mechanics does not justify giving the Lathander set a boost. Dungeons and Dragons has lots of historical instances like that. "Oh, you're DR 5/- from one class, and DR 4/- from another class? TOO BAD THEY DON'T STACK! What's that? Your race gives you fire resistance, but your prestige class gives you fire resistance? NOPE, NO STACKING FOR YOU!"

This is just how new gear works in games. New gear invalidates old gear. The fact that this time it's VIP passes instead of actual gear doesn't change that. I can't imagine why anyone would place any significant effort into complaining about this. It's like people are simply unhappy because they're special because they have their item set, and now people who are paying money (or using AD to buy zen, as is my case-though I'm only rank 3, so I'm not injury immune) are also special, so they're not special anymore.

It's like when a kid gets a birthday present, and the kid's siblings complain, so the parent gives the sibling a birthday present as well.

I mean, would a minor buff to the Lathander set be game breaking? Probably not. But this attitude of "waaah, how dare they nerf my set! just comes off as whiney entitlement. I mean, I don't know why I care-it doesn't affect me either way, so really I'm complaining about something when I have no skin in the game, but still. C'mon people. C'mon.
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    I'd be all for adding in an additional perk to Lath set bonus, because a) it's already on the weak end of the set bonus spectrum, and b) its all on the defense/convenience side, as opposed to massive offensive buffs other sets contribute.

I'm all against nerfing the VIP bonus, though.
  • Options
    inyawayupdeepinyawayupdeep Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 206 Arc User
    Beckylunatic is 100% correct on this, I have a TR with the set which was effectively nerfed once before by Mod 6's artifact upgrading process. The greater version of the set changed the stats bonuses to give Wisdom for no apparent reason.(I think the stats changed on the cloak and I think it came at the expense of Dex or Cha but server is down right now so I can't look it up), Wisdom is not that helpful for my TR so to me it was a big hit, I thought about changing the set then to something that gave better stats for my class but I had liked the set so much in the past, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I still love using it to resurrect team members in dungeons because it can be done from a long distance and resistance to injurys is also very helpful in the dungeons I run. it would be nice if you tried to compensate a little bit for what whats been done to it by giving it something extra to set it apart, keep the VIP the way it is it will be good for all, but the set is very rare it should remain something special.

thanks
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    What set bonus.. still haven't gotten the Eye to drop. *sadface*

:-)
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    coliercolier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    To some it may be considered a nerf....to others that do not purchase the VIP option it will not!