test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

anything done to fix the zen exchange?

givearandomnamegivearandomname Member Posts: 292 Arc User
edited August 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
just came back to game and was shocked

as of right now on my server is somebody buying 2,700,000 zen at 500 each that's what 27,000 dollars in zen that's 1.3 billion diamonds

first have to wonder if all those astral diamond were obtained legaly find it very hard to beleave they were if I were looking for exploiters that would be who I would first investagate.

secondly with larger order like that that just gets bigger every day the average joe like me can't even use the exchange because that order that's ahead of me never gets filled.

so my question is what if anything is being done to fix this issue normaly I wouldt mind would just buy the zen with cash but things tight this month what spare cash I have is going to go to vip when strong holds launches and maybe something cool if something is added to shop I like.

but that aside you can usualy find most of the items in the auction house anyway but there are some items like char slots and other things that give no items that can be placed in the ah. maybe that's an anser make all items in the store even services give an item that can be sold on the ah then can forget about the exchange all together and just buy what I want.
Namin Soulburner
NW-DHNVMMGVJ Dragons horde part one.
http://youtu.be/0KbqTWeJqxc

Comments

• drartwhodentdrartwhodent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 301 Arc User
    You silly.
    That is all of our orders added together, not one person.
    DON'T
    PANIC!
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    The reason the zen backlog is as high as it is is because numerous players who don't want to spend RL money want VIP packs. So there's a lot of people who are waiting for zen, so they can use it to buy VIP packs once they hit the stores on the 11th.

It's just how the exchange works. The only "solution" would be to lift the cap. It's not about illegally generated zen (I myself put a few hundred thousand AD in zen exchange orders for instance), it's about the fact that zen is just that good right now.

As a heads up, items you can find on the AH that are from the zen store have, recently, worked as follows:

Person with AD buys zen on the exchange.

Person opens Refining Boxes to get coupons. Person gets, say, 15% off any item. Buys a coalescent ward. They need to recoup 850 zen (425000 AD) to break even. 10% AH cut means that they can sell the ward on the AH for between 472223 and 500000 (with 500000 being the price that someone would have to pay to buy a coal ward at full price).

HOWEVER!!! When zen is in tight supply, because there's a large backlog, it's possible to buy extremely commonly needed items like preservation wards and sell them on the AH for a direct markup even without coupons. Basically, the people patient enough to wait in line end up selling the priviledge of instant access to zen items to people who don't want to wait but have AD to spare.

you used to be able to charge 60k for a batch of 10 preservation wards, despite that they only cost 50,000. But I for one am going to be hoarding my zen until the VIP passes come out; wanna buy three months worth.
  • zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    There's a BIG AD sink coming in the next week, Strongholds module, that should take a lot of AD out of circulation. But there's also the new VIP system coming in next week which will drive up Zen demand, which side of the fence demand is going to fall, I just can't predict.
    Technically the ZAX is not broken it's working as intended, the economy of AD production and stores however, may or may not be broken all we know is they're being monitored. Whether things are headed in the intended direction or where the intended destination is is known only to Cryptic and PWE.
  • givearandomnamegivearandomname Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    ahh so its not just one person placing that order lol ok I was starting to wonder about even bots having that much diamonds to spare lol
    Namin Soulburner
    NW-DHNVMMGVJ Dragons horde part one.
    http://youtu.be/0KbqTWeJqxc
    At the very least, the general consensus seems to be that people think it's worth spending 500,000 AD a month on VIP passes.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    We're like 2-3 days away from a new module release - a backlog is to be expected.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    The backlog correlates extremely strongly with the announcement of the VIP pass.
    Eh, it means that zen is a first come first serve experience. I suspect that the price of zen in terms of AD would be MUCH higher without the cap. I've advised lifting the cap myself in the past, but it is true that there's reasons to keep it.

But, well, that was before the VIP mode. VIP mode changes. Everything.
    starbigamo wrote: »
    RELEASE THE FREE MARKET!!!

The price Cap need to go, it just serves to keep people that want to acquire ZEN with AD to stay without ZEN and to keep people that could buy zen just to exchange to ZEN without buying ZEN, everyone loses. Including PW.

All that would do is cause runaway inflation. A hard cap is necessary to keep the market "sane".
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Irrational exuberance.

I will say that, a hard cap makes some sense, because a lot of items in NWO are based on a hard cap. Wondrous Bazaar items for instance. But, even then, you can really simply say "Well, how many dragon eggs is 1000 zen worth?"

Well, 1000 zen is worth 30 keys now, so-
    Irrational exuberance.

I will say that, a hard cap makes some sense, because a lot of items in NWO are based on a hard cap. Wondrous Bazaar items for instance. But, even then, you can really simply say "Well, how many dragon eggs is 1000 zen worth?"

Well, 1000 zen is worth 30 keys now, so-

And those keys will be bound to account, so they can't be used as a direct medium of exchange. I do feel that lockbox items will eventually come down in price, as more will be opened...
    edited August 2015
    oh yeah, the price of lockbox items will tank... unlessssss they remove the AD cap for the Zax. Because if they remove the AD cap, the purchasing power in terms of zen of AD will climb.

So, I mean, let's say before, keys "cost" 75 zen (-40% price coupons). Items were priced accordingly. now, for easy math, the 30/month means keys "cost" 37.5 zen (less than that but SHUSH THIS IS A THOUGHT EXPERIMENT). But oh no, they just doubled the max price of zen in terms of AD!

The assumed equilibrium price in terms of AD of items basically won't change. Of course, in practice they will-because more people are opening boxes because that's the resource they have, so yeah, I expect the price of lockbox items to take. But it's 100% true that removing the AD cap will cause that decline in prices to be less than it otherwise would be.

I just want Dragon Eggs to drop from Lockboxes again, so it isn't impossible for me to make a profit with my purple tools :(

Oh <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. The value of my purple tools is probably going to decline again, since more booster packs and the like will be on the AH. Tch, so much for my net market value.
  • d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    It's not exactly in Cryptic's best interest to do anything to "fix" the zax as that backlog means more folks who want that vip pack anytime soon will be inclined to spend actual money on zen to get it.
    Not how it works. Every single zen you buy off the ZAX is a zen that someone bought using RL dollars.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    Just be patient, 2 million back log is nothing. There was 12 million back log when I started to play. You will get your Zen eventually.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Removing the cap, or even raising it, would obliterate the market. The price of AD would equalize but at a MUCH higher rate. I'd guess somewhere north of 2000 AD per Zen, if not more. It would cause all prices on the AH to skyrocket and overal the economy would tank because of a massive AD shortage. If they then add more AD sources to compensate, it would devalue AD and cause the Zen price to rise. It's simple Econ 101. That unregulated free market <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> was debunked as pure idiocy in the 1980s, but very rich people (who are the only ones who benefit from an unregulated free market), still insist it's the best system, for the obvious reasons and, though a well funded propaganda machines have convinced many to support a system that is patently against their best interest.

*deep breath*

So no, lifting the AD cap will absolutely not help anything, and will in fact make things much much worse.

Oh, and by the way - a good rule of thumb is 36 hours per 1 million of backlog.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    starbigamo wrote: »
    RELEASE THE FREE MARKET!!!
    Sure, and do nothing about all that bugged/exploited AD sitting around, or all those botters and goldsellers running around 24/7?

And if i'm not mistaken, a lot of AD will vanish into Strongholds, which might mean that some people will buy ZEN and feed the ZAX to shorten the guild grind...
    And just one double RP weekend can clear a backlog within a day...
    And there is the chance on 2x RP coming from the Stronghold community event...

Overall it's a good thing that the ZAX has a limit. Otherwise new players would never get a chance on getting any ZEN from it.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
    Raising the AD cap means people who buy zen with cash get more AD for their money, that's all.
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    kvet wrote: »
    Removing the cap, or even raising it, would obliterate the market. The price of AD would equalize but at a MUCH higher rate. I'd guess somewhere north of 2000 AD per Zen, if not more. It would cause all prices on the AH to skyrocket and overal the economy would tank because of a massive AD shortage. If they then add more AD sources to compensate, it would devalue AD and cause the Zen price to rise. It's simple Econ 101. That unregulated free market <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> was debunked as pure idiocy in the 1980s, but very rich people (who are the only ones who benefit from an unregulated free market), still insist it's the best system, for the obvious reasons and, though a well funded propaganda machines have convinced many to support a system that is patently against their best interest.

*deep breath*

So no, lifting the AD cap will absolutely not help anything, and will in fact make things much much worse.

Oh, and by the way - a good rule of thumb is 36 hours per 1 million of backlog.

Sorry but you're clueless. Removing the cap will not remove AD from the market. AD will simply change the owner, that's all. You're missing the point where players would spend a lot more real cash if they could get more AD from it. It would also indirectly hit all the botters because they would've to offer better exchange rates (and run out of their AD faster).

go to Russia and see how good is lifing with a cap on lot's of things, then you will realize why everybody runs away from this sh.t hole.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    USSR vs Russia? No, that's a terrible example. It's always been run by ultra-rich corrupt oligarchs who manipulate the market and the information-sphere however they see fit.

This topic has been discussed over and over and over - lifting the AD cap on the market would be a massive disaster. Simple as that. That limit has been in place as long as that market has existed (starting in STO many years ago). It's not going anywhere because, luckily, Cryptic understands how much of a disaster it would be.
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Removing the cap, or raising the ZEN:AD exchange rate will devalue AD, causing an inflation of in-game prices. It will change the price point of certain items, and in my opinion, disastrous for the average gamer.

Take the coalescent ward for example, valued at 1000 zen. At current rates, this is worth 500,000 AD. If the ZEN:AD rate were to increase from 1:500 to 1:1000, the in-game AD cost of a coalescent ward would be 1 million. This would effectively almost double the cost of enchantments.

Now why do people buy ZEN and exchange it into AD? To afford said items on the AH. While the amount they would need in ZEN would be roughly the same, for everyone else, the AD costs of items would increase. For the average gamer, every task you do to obtain AD would be less worthwhile to do.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
    Yeah, but that's the "true value" of zen. People are willing to pay X hours worth of AD for zen. And it's more than 500 AD.

So, yeah, prices would go up.
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    vordayn wrote: »
    Removing the cap, or raising the ZEN:AD exchange rate will devalue AD, causing an inflation of in-game prices. It will change the price point of certain items, and in my opinion, disastrous for the average gamer.

Take the coalescent ward for example, valued at 1000 zen. At current rates, this is worth 500,000 AD. If the ZEN:AD rate were to increase from 1:500 to 1:1000, the in-game AD cost of a coalescent ward would be 1 million. This would effectively almost double the cost of enchantments.

Now why do people buy ZEN and exchange it into AD? To afford said items on the AH. While the amount they would need in ZEN would be roughly the same, for everyone else, the AD costs of items would increase. For the average gamer, every task you do to obtain AD would be less worthwhile to do.

What you said would be true IF there was a limit how much AD you can generate, but there's none that could stop you from getting millions of AD per day.

For example:

When i started playing NWO i could barely get 8k ad per day. Several months after, i've 5 characters lvl 70, 3 of them got 20+ lvl leadership, 2 other are close to it. I can generate 24k AD on each of these characters from Invoking, Leadership task and salvaging few items from dungeons.

Value of AD decreasing is not a problem when you can increase the amount of AD you get. With 50 character lvl70, 25lvl leadership each you can get 1.2kk AD PER DAY, without actually playing any quests. Maintaining all those characters will also take less than doing all the dailies for AD on one character.

50 characters limit can also be bypassed by creating more accounts, buying let say gmops on that second account or some item from AH (that was posted by your main account) and this way you can transfer AD or gmops between accounts.

The only players who still buy AD with ZEN are those who:

- dont have much time to play and can affort to spend several $ every once in a while
    - players who want to support the game they enjoy and are unaware about the rewards from having leadership army
    - players who are too lazy to make leadership army
    - really rich people who earn so much real $ that it's no difference for them where they get their AD as long as its
    God I hate the leadership army approach.

I mean, I get that gateway leadership was super convenient, but I somehow doubt leadership army is how the game was intended to be played. By having it be a thing, you basically have to force other players to do the same thing, and considering how mind numbingly tedious it is, that's just all sorts of awful.
  • callofkutulucallofkutulu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 56 Arc User
    Leadership army is far less tedious than the mod6 lvl 60-70 grind and more profitable
  • bernatkbernatk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User

Don't worry, nerfing the gateway they really took the wind out if it.

JMYwySk.jpg
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    bernatk wrote: »

Don't worry, nerfing the gateway they really took the wind out if it.
    If you refer to the "amateur" ones, sure.
    But if you talk about the "professional" ones, not by a long shot.
    Those just run their bots now ingame...
    SNR, disconnects during logging between characters and even some game crashes starting just at the same time, they took Leadership from The Gateway.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!