test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stronghold Developer Stream Questions - 7/30 at 3pm PDT.

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
edited July 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Update: We're doing a stream on 7/30 at 3pm PDT! More information: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9480273

Hey guys!
We plan on doing a Stronghold dev stream, which means we want your questions! This is Strongholds only! If you're curious about anything, want to know more about the design process or have any random question pertaining Strongholds, let me know in this thread. If you also want to know what our dev's favorite pizza topping is, that's fine, as well. :D

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Post edited by strumslinger on

Comments

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Are the small guilds (5 - 10 accounts) going to have to gather the same amount of materials as the large guilds (150+ accounts)?

And yes, what is your favorite pizza topping?
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    As someone familiar with how 3D modeling and rendering work: genuine question:

How are the Stronghold PvP maps assembled dynamically to include both guilds current Stronghold models and states (in terms of visual representation)?

Verbose part: in Devblog about it is the description that actual stronghold models of the Guilds that participate in the PvP aspect will be correctly represented. This means the same models and states that are recorded for that guild's Stronghold instance is now one half of the PvP map.

My question is about your technique to build that PvP map and determining the models and states used in it. Is it simply that all models and states are already hidden on the map and only rezzing the appropriate models and states? Or is it some kind of dynamic map-stitching, where a map representing each guilds Stronghold models and states is meshed with the other guilds models and states during the room (environment) construction?

Yeah, yeah, I know: other players are rolling their eyes right about now, but as a 3D modeler since the Sculpt 3D days on Amiga (~cough~) and Foundry Author since it was made available in STO and all that, I'm genuinely curious.

EDIT to add wikipedia links to Sculpt 3D for all you kiddies curious about it.
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    What will the impact be on the guilds Strongholds after the PVP match is done? Will repairs be necessary, resources plundered from the loser, etc.
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Will the smaller guilds (i.e. less than 10 accounts) be able to acquire the necessary dragonshards to buy the new dragonflight armor another way within the game, as there is little chance for those size guilds to have 5 members online at the same time to be able to do the dragon HEs? I know there is the rumored lockbox item to acquire them, but that is not a guarantee to get them.
    Post edited by rickcase276 on
  • Options
    ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Is there any way, when you launch Strongholds, that you can put in an option for guildys to contribute AD to the regular Guild Bank? Seeing as you have implimented that option for the upgrades to the Stronghold, it should'nt be to hard to impliment for the regular Guild Bank.

Is there any possibility that you can impliment a guild voice chat system with the launch of Strongholds?
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Will there be ways to obtain similar rewards (equipment, XP... from Stronghold content) for solo players?
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    It better not be Hawaiian or there will be trouble, I couldn't support that.

How much time do you envisage it taking a medium sized guild, with for example 100 players 20 of whom are very active (IE on everyday for at least 1 hour), to build up the stronghold to max level? What about a large guild with 150+? And a small guild with very irregular activity times?

• Options
    guarrrrrrrdguarrrrrrrd Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Why access to buildings in stronghold territory blocked by blue wall ?)
  • Options
    GranDGranD Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    How about..

New Players, Solo players, very small Guilds, Casual Players
    They won't have any chance to get their new Gear!

What's the Plan of the Devs to help them, to get their Equip?

You introducing "the Strongest Equip" coming with the M7-Stronghold,
    This is probably fine for some PRO-Guilds.
    But what it mean is Basically "if you are Not on a High Ranked-Guild,
    "You can't get the Equip"- Right?

So What's the Point of it?

* I do not like the idea of a "High Ranked-Guild Requirement" to get the new Gear-
    Post edited by GranD on
    <::::::[]==0 GwF 0==[]::::::> ● Still waiting for the promised Improvement ● xgrandz02

• Options
    soriniakovsoriniakov Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    will all game queues aggregate one guild members together?
  • Options
    matiagronxmatiagronx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 251 Arc User
    If the guild builds max boons structures and levels them up to the maximun AND someone gets all these final boons at max level AND then leaves guild for any reason, what happens to the boons? They stay active or the requirement is that you have to be a guild member in ANY other guild WITH the accordingly leveled up boon structure?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Since this question has been cropping up here and there, could we get confirmation that donation of PvP items like Glory are *only* required for the PvP structures like towers? Players seem concerned, and there isn't a simple way to access the information of what you need to build anything you're not currently eligible to build.

On that note, can we look forward to UI improvements for looking at an overview of how our Stronghold can develop? I'm very frustrated by limited information. I want to know what all the possible structures are, where they can go, what they do, and what's required to build them, and I want to know this at rank 1, not piecemeal as thing unlock.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Since this question has been cropping up here and there, could we get confirmation that donation of PvP items like Glory are *only* required for the PvP structures like towers? Players seem concerned, and there isn't a simple way to access the information of what you need to build anything you're not currently eligible to build.

On that note, can we look forward to UI improvements for looking at an overview of how our Stronghold can develop? I'm very frustrated by limited information. I want to know what all the possible structures are, where they can go, what they do, and what's required to build them, and I want to know this at rank 1, not piecemeal as thing unlock.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that this information is available on one of the screens already. The Stronghold overview screen that is accessible in the guild panel, I believe. I will have to double check.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    It's entirely possible that it's only viewable by guild leaders, and I'm being limited by being a mere minion in another guild in my preview incarnation.

Edit: I can see the requirements for structures that would be available, but not things like barracks which are merely rumors to me.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    Question to the developers:

How relevant are Strongholds going to be when a new mod comes out? Are Strongholds going play a big role in later modules?
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    kreatyve wrote: »

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that this information is available on one of the screens already. The Stronghold overview screen that is accessible in the guild panel, I believe. I will have to double check.

There is a checkbox on the Guild Strgholds TAB....just like the Professions that anyone can view all future structures. You can even look at each of those structure to view the resources needed for each level. It is confusing at first to look at but after you build the Lumber Mill, Market, and Farm, it makes sense.

• Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer

• Options
    pasteldovahkiinpasteldovahkiin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    Will there be an actual interior to the strongholds, such as barracks or a guild hall? If so will the interior be customizable? Would love it if the stronghold could feel a bit more homey to the players verses us always being outside of it.
    ~Things that fail to kill me, help me level up. ~
    5950072YLSoy.png
  • Options
    adent086adent086 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    This may seem a bit far reaching, but it is something my guild is already thinking/talking about:

Actually, I am looking for a little bit of a commitment from the devs with my question. My guild's primary concern is that Module 7 will be a "one-off" kind of deal like most of the other modules have been. I.E. Once the module is out, "boom" that's it. Never to be revisited (except when maps need to be reused for other modules) or added to again.

It was mentioned in the developers' blogs early on that the Stronghold map was being designed with "future modules and expansions" in mind. Can we get a commitment from the devs on that point?

Will there be future expansion to Strongholds; including, but not limited to: New Areas to explore and conquer, New Buildings to build and manage, and even more gear to buy through our hard won guild stores?

Thanks for considering my question.

Peace All.
    Telling us about upcoming content updates, and getting those updates out the door BUG-FREE, is *AWESOME*!! Know what's even *MORE* awesome? Fixing game breaking bugs (and/or undocumented "features") that have been in EXISTING content for months/years!!! Guess which one makes me want to spend money on a game much more than the other? Hint: It's the "more awesome" one.
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    Will members of storage guilds and the unguilded be able to do mercenary work for other guilds to progress?

This caught my eye as a some variant on the "mercenary contracts" of Icewind factions in idea.

Whilst I can see some people wanting to be BOTH part of a "tiny guild" or "personal guild" and somehow being part of a larger guild as well this may not be possible.

There are two rumors I'd ask about, but not posting here as they can be complete BS, or may cause undue panic over nothing. Sending via PM.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    orangebangorangebang Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 55 Arc User
    After strongholds, will you guys finally fix the closed dungeons? It's terribly embarrassing to tell friends to play a new game and they follow their quest tracks to a closed dungeon. When will there be another tiered bonus depending on zen amount purchased for those who missed the last two promotions? On subject, can we visit another stronghold as a guest?
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Will there be an actual interior to the strongholds, such as barracks or a guild hall? If so will the interior be customizable? Would love it if the stronghold could feel a bit more homey to the players verses us always being outside of it.

@pasteldovahkiin
    It would be so awesome if they allowed us to design the interior through the foundry.

So another question to the devs:
    Any plans on allowing players to use the Foundry to create their own interior design for their stronghold?
    Post edited by romotheone on
  • Options
    mrrb2000mrrb2000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 49 Arc User
    All of the quests mentioned so far are for level 70 characters, however, each member of the Steward’s team will also offer quests designed for low level players. One example is the Cleric, who will offer a quest to complete level-appropriate dungeons. Doing so will reward players with a large amount of experience.

Does that mean the lower level dungeons will be back when strongholds are out?
  • Options
    Another question... will the building supplies (Influence, building resources, and other things that drop from Heroic Encounters) be tradable? Some can be stored in guild vault, so will they be able to be listed on the AH if your guild is at maximum capacity?
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    Could you look at it please? : Suggestion for Foundry In Regards to Upcoming Strongholds

Thanks.
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • Options
    barbaraburnsbarbaraburns Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 34 Arc User
    Our Leader told us that she will be on vacation during the launch of Strongholds and may not have access to be online during that time, possibly 3-4 days. For first starting, does a Guild Leader have to open / set it up for member access? Or can we members just enter the new guild map and explore & play on "our" map?
    Hope you have a great day!
  • Options
    bulix91bulix91 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    How this all will look like with attacks, siege for example my guild castle, stronghold. I am interested in this will it be plunder from resources or guild bank items or will it require repairs after loose? How often other guilds will be able to attack my guild, will this require both side acceptation? Guilds which are made strictly for PvE will not be able to defend them selfes from for example Essence of Agression guild or .Bractwo FEN where are strictly PvP characters pre mades only. I can see problem in that matter because my guild can be undefeated on dungeons but low on PvP.

Second questions is: will others, old dungeons come back to us? Spell Plague? Cloak Tower..... and of course most important Castle Never :) Lots of people really miss Castle Never this could be now really nice challenge :)

Thank You and hope for answer
    (in game name)BuLiX
  • Options
    We'll be answering a lot of these questions during the stream. Make sure to tune in!