test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• elderdayselderdays Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I'm not sure if I'd rather have a great weapon barbarian or a duel wield. I gues we kind of have two duel wields if you count ranger. I think druids would work well with long spears and other pole arms. Rapiers and lutes for bards?
  • umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    EQ Bard had it right. Every other game's bard has sucked tremedously

Devs should just blatantly rip off EQ bards. In fact, Devs should just blatantly rip off EQ more often.
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Still waiting patiently for the bard class. Been waiting since beta so I don't mind waiting several months more.

Neverwinter needs to feel a bit more homey. I suppose this is part of the reason why we're getting strongholds and an increased emphasis on working with/cultivating a relationship with other players via teams/guilds/hopefully some type of classic tavern-esque feature, but that wouldn't be complete without the bard - the loremaster/storyteller/social interactions master of D&D.
    Also, although I've gotten used to the new DC playstyles (which I admit feels a lot more DC-ish) I badly miss the old jack-of-all-trades, master of buffs/debuffs playstyle of the old DC, which coincidentally mirrors the playstyle of the bard class. That particular playstyle is absent from the game atm (Righteous comes close I suppose, if you trade offense for utility).

Granted I also wouldn't mind if they decided to add bards when they finally implement significant improvements to the foundry system (which is badly out of sync with the rest of the game atm).

The D&D druid plays similar to a renegade CW (mishmash of control, damage, leader-role heals/buffs) and the D&D monk plays similar to a scoundrel TR (fast, adaptable striker with stuns/dazes/knockdowns/etc) so nothing really new there playstyle-wise.

After the core classes are added, I definitely want to see the devs implement some of the more obscure classes. The binder, for example. Binder lore (pact magic, vestiges) would be an excellent addition to Neverwinter.

You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • shinshoryuukenshinshoryuuken Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    NWN1 had cool druid gameplay. You cant interact that much with npcs in NWO (specially wildlife and trees in general which are scarce). I think the traditional natureman associated with druids wouldnt easily make its way in. A 5e storm Druid is the best they can hope for. I had a similar disappointment when I played hunter ranger and I couldnt really interact a lot with the environment, although the ranger itself can be forgiven because technically they are (and come from) fighters and thats it. Scourge Warlock similarly has the spirit puppet and well, its not really so convincing as far as "interacting with something goes". Its class quests are cool though. Wizards dont have familiars.
  • lmk2lmk2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    I would like Monk or Bard but I'm scared that both might be completely useless in most instances and get the not a CW, DP spamming Pally, etc = Kick.
  • tyria501tyria501 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    I would like to see a class that wont be a copy/paste re-skin of a class we already have so how about a summoning class like the Necromancer.
  • zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    Necromancer would be a good call IF Scourge Warlock was focused properly on demons(Hasbro (WOTC owners) won't let anything D&D related to go too near demon worship) and didn't have broken life steal and an undead pet.
    The same reason mechanics aren't in place for an "evil" campaign or storyline.
    edited July 2015
    Bards aren't just minstrels, in the same way that DCs aren't just priests and GFs aren't just warriors with a shield. Seriously, that comment is in such bad taste considering how Neverwinter Control Wizards are not portrayed as old men carrying staffs and are far more twitchy in combat than any elf/dwarf/human warrior from all the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit movies.

The D&D bard is a jack-of-all-trades class that specializes in buff/debuff spells. It's very likely that if bards were introduced into the game their dailies would include several of D&D's most iconic buff spells - like Haste. In game terms that could easily translate to xx% CD reduction/+% movement speed. On top of that, bards have songs (which improve party damage) and debuffs that significantly hamper their enemies. In Neverwinter terms it would be like the debuff version of the HR's Fox Shift - in 4E (and in all other D&D versions, actually) bards are able to severely cripple their opponent's physical abilities, so it would make sense that one possible implementation is a powerful debuff that guarantees that the targets' next physical attack/s will miss.
    Bards are controllers/leaders. They will never be able to keep you alive the same way a primary leader like the DC/OP can, but as long as there's already a healer a bard can potentially make dungeon runs a whole LOT smoother, depending on how they are implemented. And let's face it, with Neverwinter now being a 4E/5E hybrid game the possibilities are limitless.
    Post edited by tyrtallow on
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    Hey! Instead of coming out with ONE new class, why not do TWO?!

What do I mean? CHANGE the GWF to the Barbarian and then come out with the Druid! TWO new classes;)

People have continuously complained about the two fighters. Well now would be a PERFECT time to seperate them further and it wouldnt even require THAT much re-work.

Unstoppable could easily be adapted to "Rage". Change the name of the paragon paths and then adjust a few feats/powers and DONE.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, every now and then we need to remind players what Bards actually are. I learned what a bard was in grade school before I even knew about D&D, over three decades ago. In short, they are artisans, lorekeepers and storytellers. Not all bards play musical instruments, though most do. Some just sing, or dance, or tell stories, or just write them. The D&D bard is the same as the historically portrayed bard, except that in D&D they can wield true magic.

Even in today's socienty, "Bard" has become an adjective to describe people who have a way with words, akin to a wordsmith.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Bard
    http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/bard
    http://www.britannica.com/art/bard
    http://www.ddo.com/en/game/classes/bard
    http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2402306
  • oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    There is no DnD game without the bard. Harpers everywhere but no bard.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • egdirbmacegdirbmac Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    really every class has it's flaws, but then so does the game, magic is diminished, example disintigrate great spell but only as a finisher, and the baddie better be close to death. GWF probably still one of the best classes, with Paladin next and Ranger coming in after, traps are not as efective as they should be. Entangle should root those babies to the ground and when it is over the baddies should still have some after effects like limping to slow them down for a bit. Other flaws the baddies can shoot through solid objects in some areas, the bosses effects are overwhelming, one hit wonders on solo missions, no longer solo. So druid huh, it will be flawed, when you work hard to get to 70, it should be a bad azz 70. personally I would like to see a sorcerer with real power at a higher level, of course that goes for Ranger to and all the other classes, and hell while your at it fix the drops, so you get a random chance it will be something your toon can actually use, the higher the level the better the drop for the toon your playing.
  • commanderdata002commanderdata002 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Sorcerer FTW!
    I finally want a nuke arcane caster.
    I loved to vaporize mobs with Incendiary Clouds, meteor showers and Wall of Banshees in the old day!
    stock and stone I can master, but there's a Wizard to manage here!
  • lsinful4244lsinful4244 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    A Thief is the new class
  • locksanpocketslocksanpockets Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 111 Arc User
    umcjdking wrote: »
    Every other game's bard has sucked

You must not have played Neverwinter Nights. The 23 Bard/ 10 CoT/ 7 WM build had players crying OP'd.

Most D&D Bioware/Atari games had really powerful bards. BG1 bards could use bows and wands (two of the strongest item types in that game), BG2 bards were easily among the top strongest classes in that game thanks to their buffs, IWD and IWD2 bards were extremely powerful summoners who could directly influence the Luck stat, Neverwinter Nights bards were great fighters thanks to their skills (Discipline, etc) and class abilities, and finally Neverwinter Nights 2 bards could simply copy an ally's best fighting stats, among other things.

Hopefully, Cryptic will not disappoint. Frankly though I'm not sure how they'll implement the basics of bard class. For example, bards are known to use all manner of weapons (that's actually one of the class' defining aspects - very different from paladins/clerics/rogues/rangers/etc) so it would be very disappointing if bards were restricted to just one weapon type.
  • hellisch1hellisch1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I crave to see a shapeshifting druid!
    Now that RA Salvatore is involved, maybe we really should start fixing this game. I mean none of the current classes reflect any of forgotten realm's lore. Classes are also imbalanced and there is very little synergy between classes to talk about other than the DC OP combo, which btw are not supposed to be that way in DnD, NWN, or WoTC. Hope you guys address this in the next mod. Bring this game closer to home.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    Eeek....it seems that already all the classes are covered though. As it is in my opinion they made oathbound paladin too much like a guardian fighter when it would be more a combo of a GWF and DC. I would see the same being done to any other class you give option to vote for. Barbarian = GWF; Bard = well I'm old school D&D so I still haven't even figured out what that class is; Druid = CW just with earth magic instead of water and air/fire magic (which could be interesting, but again redundant); Monk = again old school D&D so am under the impression this is some new fangled class the likes of which I don't have a clue what it would do though sounds like a healer; Sorcerer= SW.
  • adammreillyadammreilly Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    When I started playing NW, I was disappointed not to already have a druid class; so I went HR...if we get a druid, I'll likely drop that HR faster than a hot potato ;)
  • rexfire91rexfire91 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 56 Arc User
    Hey! You guys removed Swordmage from the poll. It was pretty popular choice in the previous polls. I guess this is because this class hasn't been translated from 4e to 5e. Well I'm still voting SWORDMAGE/SPELLSWORD.

But in all seriousness I think the next class will turn out to be the Druid. We already have 4 striker classes, 2 options for defender and 2 for leadership, but only ONE controller class. Plus the Paladin was hinted at in module 5 before the Paladin was announced, and now mod 6 has started showcasing Druids, so...
  • lilhamletlilhamlet Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    Monk = again old school D&D so am under the impression this is some new fangled class the likes of which I don't have a clue what it would do though sounds like a healer

Monk existed in the 1st edition AD&D and was only missing from 2nd Edition until it was revived as a Cleric Kit. It was a melee combat class which at high levels functioned best unarmed with no armour.

In Neverwinter terms, will they be refining their hands with RP? LOL

• bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    If we follow the patterns of Campaigns, there does seem to be a correlation between them and the classes:

Feywild - HR
    Dread Ring - Warlock
    Icewind Dale - ??? / None
    ToD - Paladin
    Elemental Evil - Druid
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    Bards, would be mostl
    rexfire91 wrote: »
    Hey! You guys removed Swordmage from the poll. It was pretty popular choice in the previous polls. I guess this is because this class hasn't been translated from 4e to 5e. Well I'm still voting SWORDMAGE/SPELLSWORD.

But in all seriousness I think the next class will turn out to be the Druid. We already have 4 striker classes, 2 options for defender and 2 for leadership, but only ONE controller class. Plus the Paladin was hinted at in module 5 before the Paladin was announced, and now mod 6 has started showcasing Druids, so...

I don't don't get this. Why would druid be controller class? Aren't they supposed to be hitters? They transform to bears or wolves, they carry staffs, and they have wards/bark skin skill to make them tanks.
  • jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    Probably not the right place but at the same time a good place to say it....can we get some more fixes to the current classes before we go adding more?

I mean come on...the paladin is too much a tank class arguably much better than the guardian fighter class what with there daily that allows for damage immunity basically. Not to mention a seemingly endless supply of temp hit points.

And whoever says hr's aren't a controller class didn't spec right for them to be cause a trapper hr will control a target better than a cw can without having to have control bonuses.

Since we're here though I gotta say....I do remember seeing options to make spellsword class in the previous retail version of D&D I have bought now I think about it. Which is a missing class from this version, but.....I just fail to see the need for a class that can use an entangle force to make sure there indomitable battle strike hits there target.

But, aside from that......Let's just take a moment to focus on the present instead of looking to the future.
    There should be a way to vote up posts here. I agree with this ^^, not to mention that GWF and GF have so many similar skills.
  • daniloslvdaniloslv Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    About Druids
    azlanfox wrote: »

From what I've seen they are an excellent debuff & CC.

OMG I want this. This reminds me of the Controller class in City of Heroes. And I miss soooo much.
    I would love to play a class like that again.

Leliana - Healer DC
    Leliana C.W. - Opressor CW
    Lelian O.P. - Bulwark Paladin
  • razalkunnrazalkunn Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    Nah Druid coz bewbs.