What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Tower District] Like Poison from a Wound

tantivetyrelltantivetyrell Member Posts: 180 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Foundry Quest Database
  • Quest Title: Like Poison from a Wound
  • Shortcode: NW-DU5L3ZHV9
  • Time: 13-15 mins

This is one of the shortest and simple quests I made, but it was the intention to be a direct conclusion to the Tower District Story line. I want this quest to be a foundry quest you would like to play just as you finished the district with a new character.

As it is, I'm still trying to squeeze 2 more minutes of playtime, and looking for opinions to improve the quest entire.
Currently, the quest is now listed in the [Best] tab of the catalog(Since it has had a number of plays and ratings). It is my hope to eventually to have a lore friendly quest for each of the playable areas.

Don't be shy with opinions, suggestions or ideas what could be done better.
Post edited by tantivetyrell on

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Excellent job! Nice story, fits in well with downfall of Tower District.

Sent you a couple nitpicks/opinions in PM.

Edit: Oh! Another thought...

Where you "taunt" the Orcs -- you could use an orc flag/banner interactable instead of an invisible clicky. Then as part of your taunting you could burn their flag/banner.
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I played with my level 70 DC. I agree with Eldarth that this is a nice extra piece to the Tower District. I really do appreciate Foundry work that is clearly part of Neverwinter and the Forgotten Realms.

I found the combat to be very tough. I think I fought at least one respawn group and it was the largest and most difficult. Since you are using an adventure zone map you will have respawns. Thankfully the guards also respawned since I had to kite everything back to them to survive.

Maybe consider a difficulty setting?

Detailed notes below. Eldarth may have already commented on some of these, sorry about the duplication in that case.

Guard Headquarters:
    -I really like the custom room.
    -I might suggest using two stone pieces under the fireplace, just to cover the little bits of floor and make the look a little more seamless. There might be a stone pieces that would work as well.
    -Cornis says “Vansi Bloodscar, the Warband Leaders lay dead…” Since you don’t have a third on the list I think “Vansi Bloodscar and the Warband Leaders” might be better.
    -When Janros starts with “Aah, adventurer”, were you going for “Aha, adventurer” or something like “Ah, an adventurer”? It reads odd as is.
    -later in Janros’ dialogue (I lost track of which box) he says “suites you”, that should be “suits you”

Cloak Tower Approach:
    -Janros says “Many Arrow Orcs”. As weird as it sounds it is actually Many Arrows Orcs. Seems like there are too many Ss that way, I know.
    -Janros’ phrase “orcs providing overwatch to the routed” sounds a little awkward. One reason is that I wasn’t sure of the meaning: Are the orcs watching the route into the Tower? Or are they watching the other orcs run away in a rout?
    -later in that same box “dungeon’s of the Tower” should be “dungeons of the Tower” (“of the” is indicating the possession in that case).
    -Wow, that fight after the taunt was very hard! I kited all of them back to the base area where they killed all the guard/friendly encounters but a single lone archer.
    -I did appreciate that the archers’ battle cry was “Loose!” and not “fire”
    -OK, I finally got through the first wave (I thought) and the second one killed me and the objectives still said “Survive Second Wave (0/4)” I think it may have taken me so long to kill that first group that they respawned and I had to kill them again? It certainly looked like the exact same group. Then all at once that objective completed.
    -The Frost Giant and the Bear/Cat combinations were very difficult.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
    edited May 2015
    melinden wrote: »
    I think I fought at least one respawn group and it was the largest and most difficult. Since you are using an adventure zone map you will have respawns.

I believe you can prevent the respawns by changing Disappear When to Encounter Complete instead of Never. I think Never allows respawning on adventure zone maps.
  • tantivetyrelltantivetyrell Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    I think I absorbed all the comments to this quest and made improvements and spellchecks, though I lost the opportunity to rereview's eldarts PM. The forum migration seems to have wiped personal messages. Though the great fire you see has some flames which appear away from the barracks, I'll allow that little part in because of the fun effect from a distance. Maybe turning the emitter might work, I will have to experiment at a later date.

The fights seem to be more difficult at level 70 because of scaling. Well, I don't mind that, it's just as well. Foundry fights could use a challenge for max levels. Objective monstergroups that are killed don't respawn, at least I haven't found it happening. They might however return to their spawn area and come again. This is what Ive seen happening with my friendly units that were still alive. They do remain dead though with When this Component Complete. If you go out of range, the units that were still there seem to return walking from their initial spawnpoint.
    The counter for (x/4) counts for when an entire group of units is dead.

There's two waves of Orcs and one 'heroic' unit, wave one is the most difficult but I accounted for the fact you would have help from the previous army.

I republished it, and depending on further responses might make one more polishing pass, then continiu on for a quest involving Blackdagger.

Thanks for all the input.

Hmm, speaking of areas...should I also make a mission for Blacklake?
  • tantivetyrelltantivetyrell Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    My intention, since Strumslinger is featuring quests again, I want to submit this. I think it's polished enough in regards to any glaring errors, but creativly ...would anyone who's played my quest have an opinion if I should expand this quest in any way?
    (One thing that lingers in my mind, is that the cleanup phase feels a little anti climactic after the huge battle. But in the interest of playlength I do feel you should go inside. So I am undecided what to do. )
    I don't recall any major opportunities for expansion - I think the time was probably good as well.
    About the only thing I can recall from our now deleted PMs (thanks PWE!) was the HQ could have felt more Headquartery - maybe a little busier, more planning tables, maps, scrolls, etc.
    ​​